The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2x Icepower 125ASX2 enough for passive ATC SCM20?
Old 18th November 2021
Gear Head

2x Icepower 125ASX2 enough for passive ATC SCM20?

Sorry, I'm a bit noob when it comes to amping/bi-amping etc. In the manual for the passive SCM20, it recommends between 50-300 watts.

It looks like the 124ASX2 unit offers a max of 125w per channel.

I was wondering, would buying two and powering them both, one for each speaker give me more power or should I just buy one? I wasn't sure if it would double the power with this particular amp?

Thank you!
Old 18th November 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
As in one per each speaker in a bridged mono mode?
Looks to be doable. (BTL' page 24..
file:///C:/Users/Wayne/Downloads/ICE..._1_9%20(1).pdf
But for such nice speakers? :>) Seems you might do better?
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-review.10442/
Old 18th November 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne ➡️
As in one per each speaker in a bridged mono mode?
Looks to be doable. (BTL' page 24..
file:///C:/Users/Wayne/Downloads/ICE..._1_9%20(1).pdf
But for such nice speakers? :>) Seems you might do better?
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-review.10442/
Hi Wayne, thanks for your reply! Sorry, I couldn’t see that first link you shared. The SCM20s only have one red and one black connection on each speaker, but I’m super stupid when it comes to amps 🙋‍♀️. If I just plug the left speaker into the left ports of one ice power, and the plug the other speaker into the right port of the other ice power amp, will that give the sound more oomph than just using one icepower amp to feed both? Or do I have to do something special to enable their proper mono functionality?

Happy to hear any amp recommendations tho could probably only afford used. Cheers!
Old 18th November 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeriepunk23 ➡️
Hi Wayne, thanks for your reply! Sorry, I couldn’t see that first link you shared. The SCM20s only have one red and one black connection on each speaker, but I’m super stupid when it comes to amps 🙋‍♀️. If I just plug the left speaker into the left ports of one ice power, and the plug the other speaker into the right port of the other ice power amp, will that give the sound more oomph than just using one icepower amp to feed both? Or do I have to do something special to enable their proper mono functionality?

Happy to hear any amp recommendations tho could probably only afford used. Cheers!
Oops. The first one was for that specific data sheet/manual. This gets you to everything.
https://icepower.dk/products/amplifi...es/asx-series/
Re the hook up, pretty much yes except each speaker goes to/uses the hot (+) of both ch's outs. Page 24 has the diagram. (Looking at a finished kit like on Audio Science Review.. the negative speaker outs would not be used.
Also see the BTL configuration pin info.. (pg 24) and explanation (pg21).

This is deeper than I've previously gone into this here -'kits from the bottom up', so learning as I go too.
📝 Reply