Quantcast
Lower budget hardware effects unit recommendations and what they are good at? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lower budget hardware effects unit recommendations and what they are good at?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Lower budget hardware effects unit recommendations and what they are good at?

Hi!

I am interested in some recommendations for lower budget, let’s say around the $300 or lower per unit price point. Anything from digital hardware boxes, to guitar pedals, etc...hardware only. However, I would like to break them out into categories, and what they might be good at. Here’s what I’m interested in finding, but feel free to add any sweet little gems that you’ve found in your experience

REVERBS:

1. Natural, modern room/chamber sounds (think poor mans Bricasti).

2. Lush, smooth and beautiful plates and halls (think poor mans versions of some of the high end Lexicon stuff, like the 480 and 224).

3. Vintage spring/plate (I’m thinking springs like the Fairchild 658 or AKG BX 20. And plates like an EMT 140/250).

4. Exciting and bright/splashy reverb (like the Sony Dre 2000, Eventide SP2016 or even Lexi PCM 70 tiled room).

DELAYS:

1. Vintage slap/tape style

2. Poor mans PCM 42 style (for that CLA style wide 8th or quarter note delay)

3. Spacey, vibey delay (think EP 34, Roland RE 201, Binson, etc.)

EFFECTS:

1. Harmonizer/Spacial thing (think H3000 or something of the Eventide harmonizers)

2. Chorus/widening (poor mans Dimension D, etc.). I know there is the 3rd Dimension by KT which looks cool).

3. Anything else you can think of

I realize that plug-ins do all of this, and I have them all. They are great at times, but I just bought a console and want to stick with hardware for this thread. I already have some great pieces that fill some of these holes, so I’ll start. Here’s what I got:

-Yamaha SPX 990
-TC Electronics M One XL
-TC Electronic D Two Dly
-Strymon El Cap Tape Dly
-Neunaber Wet Reverb Pedal

So let’s here it! What gems have you found through the years
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I don't think there is a unit out there that can do all of those things but if it were me I would go for the best Lexicon you can afford. PCM or MPX-1 perhaps. My first Lex was an LXP-1 and I was blown away how much better the verbs sounded than my old SPX-90.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgitter ➡️
I don't think there is a unit out there that can do all of those things but if it were me I would go for the best Lexicon you can afford. PCM or MPX-1 perhaps. My first Lex was an LXP-1 and I was blown away how much better the verbs sounded than my old SPX-90.
Thanks for the quick response! Great suggestions, I’ve been watching lots of videos on some of those and they sound fantastic. Also loving the TC electronics M300 from the videos I’ve seen.

I should have specified, I’m not looking for one unit that does all of these things, I’m looking for individual units that may be does one or two of them really great.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
We live on the TC XL and Delay units --have for years --No real plugs used ...
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDB_12 ➡️
Thanks for the quick response! Great suggestions, I’ve been watching lots of videos on some of those and they sound fantastic. Also loving the TC electronics M300 from the videos I’ve seen.

I should have specified, I’m not looking for one unit that does all of these things, I’m looking for individual units that may be does one or two of them really great.
I had the similar M350 for a while; nice ducking delay but I think I'd have had more fun with something like a Zoom 1204.

In terms of 'anything else' the stereo v2 of the Red Panda Particle pedal does all sorts of granular delay/pitch-shift effects you'd otherwise need to throw a lot of money against the wall to achieve, and in an uncomplicated interface.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Ensoniq DP2 comes to mind.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDB_12 ➡️

So let’s here it! What gems have you found through the years
The answer would be zero.
You have to understand when your 480L, 224XL, RMX16,DMX 1580, SP 2016, EMT 250, TC 2290, PCM 42, Korg SDD 3000, Eventide H3000, Quantecs all roamed the earth they were the at the very top of the effects food chain and rightly so especially in terms of costs and sound.

All of the cheaper effects paled in comparison, especially when it came to the metallic sounding reverbs they would produce. Lets just say no one would have been caught dead putting a cheap reverb on a lead vocal on a major label record, none.
How reverbs/efx sounded on vocals and probably snares is what separated the units as they both fall in the range where your ears are most sensitive.
Old 1 week ago
Similar thread here.
📝 Reply