Setup question for RE20 - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Setup question for RE20
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by snspuderman ➡️
I don't care where I get the research from, it's more about what works for my home setup. If I see something online and I try it, and if it works, I'll use it.
The sad truth I have come to learn when talking to pro's of any field is that while I'm getting the sound advice I need now -- and I'm thankful for it -- your incessant narcissm never ends.
I suppose that's what I deserve for asking the same question 3 times and being a newbie, that's the cost of being unable to research and directly asking questions. That's my mistake. Thanks for the help though.
You claim I do not need the cloudlifter, but without it I'll have more noise. I tried to get a lot closer to the mic since I was too far, cloudlifter still gave me greater results. I never said I was a pro. The problem of the deteoriation after 3-4 months is probably an operator problem, but I still have to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I already figured out the distance was too far, but that hasn't magically fixed the noise and sudden sensitivity of the mic. You're a pro, I imagine you can point me in the right direction instead of my basic research -- what should I do?
Please share a recording of the noise. PLEASE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop ➡️
Please share a recording of the noise. PLEASE.
Okay, I will, I got work today, when I'm free I'll share a link and post a clip with and without the cloudlifter, hopefully that'll clear my error up more
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthered ➡️
Get closer to the mic (it was designed for that) and DO NOT use the CLOUDLIFTER. Turn your gain to maximum on the Scarlett. Record a sample and post it here. Try 2 inches from the mic. Use a clenched fist as a measuring guide.

This is your starting point.
Alright, thank you, I will do that. No cloudlifter, understood, 2 inches got it
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by snspuderman ➡️
your incessant narcissm never ends.
EDIT: That sounds mean, my bad, but that's how you sound to me.
You are not alone with the issue you have here. Mic placement and gain staging are critical to capturing good sound and it can be truly frustrating to attempt to help someone out who hasn't yet figured out how to balance all the seemingly simple things necessary to get things right.

I would disagree with andychamp here about not needing a pop filter. I've seen plenty of Andy's posts and while he writes a lot of good stuff I'd say it's not quite the whole story on this one.

While some people and in some situations the one can sometimes get away without a pop filter there are reasons that EV makes the WSPL-2 foam windscreen for the RE20. The Variable D technology certainly manages the proximity boost of the RE20 very well but it is not totally immune to pops.

On Stage also makes a nylon screen specifically for the RE20, RE320, and other similar mics like the Rode Podcaster.

Different people have different amounts of poppiness so while some get away without a pop filter I wouldn't want you to get discouraged from getting right up close to the RE20 because you are getting pops and someone told you that you don't need a pop filter with this mic.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedandGarbageMan55 ➡️
I don't care where I get the research from, it's more about what works for my home setup. If I see something online and I try it, and if it works, I'll use it.
This might work in some situations, but we're just trying to get you to not buy unnecessary gear.
Quote:
You claim I do not need the cloudlifter, but without it I'll have more noise.
You do not need a Cloudlifter if your interface works correctly. It will not noticeably improve the noise in your recording, and with better interfaces, it actually adds noise. Watch this video, which has likely been posted already but is worth repeating. It features an SM7 but it's exactly the same for an RE20.

Remove the Cloudlifter and just raise the gain on the Solo; preamps actually get comparatively less noisy if you crank up their gain. If you don't believe me (it might not be the most intuitive aspect of preamps, then watch this video, which again, has likely been posted already but is worth reiterating.

Dynamic mics such as the RE-20 cannot become noisier over time. Even if damaged or old, they might end up sounding muffled or weird but there is no active circuitry to add noise.

If something is failing, it could only be the Solo or the Cloudlifter.
Quote:
I tried to get a lot closer to the mic since I was too far, cloudlifter still gave me greater results.
If this is genuinely the case after the recordings have been level-matched, that actually most likely shows the interface is broken somehow. But you'll have to do some tests and level-match the recordings to make sure it's not the Cloudlifter failing.
If the Cloudlifter is adding the noise, get rid of it. If the interface is adding the noise, then replace it with something with very low-noise preamps such as an Audient iD4 mk2 or SSL 2+. You will not get noticeably less noisy results with anything fancier.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Finally, we are in agreement.
Sometimes I think you're wrong. And sometimes you're utterly unpleasant, calling people names, like in that other thread.

However, I have absolutely no qualms being in agreement with someone when they're correct. Which is why I haven't put you on ignore, since I don't think you're trolling, and I've seen you dole out some good advice around here, such as on this thread.

I just tend to not place much attention on who is sharing something and place more emphasis on whether I think it's correct or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortingJack ➡️
This might work in some situations, but we're just trying to get you to not buy unnecessary gear.

You do not need a Cloudlifter if your interface works correctly. It will not noticeably improve the noise in your recording, and with better interfaces, it actually adds noise. Watch this video, which has likely been posted already but is worth repeating. It features an SM7 but it's exactly the same for an RE20.

Remove the Cloudlifter and just raise the gain on the Solo; preamps actually get comparatively less noisy if you crank up their gain. If you don't believe me (it might not be the most intuitive aspect of preamps, then watch this video, which again, has likely been posted already but is worth reiterating.

Dynamic mics such as the RE-20 cannot become noisier over time. Even if damaged or old, they might end up sounding muffled or weird but there is no active circuitry to add noise.

If something is failing, it could only be the Solo or the Cloudlifter.

If this is genuinely the case after the recordings have been level-matched, that actually most likely shows the interface is broken somehow. But you'll have to do some tests and level-match the recordings to make sure it's not the Cloudlifter failing.
If the Cloudlifter is adding the noise, get rid of it. If the interface is adding the noise, then replace it with something with very low-noise preamps such as an Audient iD4 mk2 or SSL 2+. You will not get noticeably less noisy results with anything fancier.
Alright, thank you, I watched this video and read your advice, I see how I'm wrong about the cloudlifter. I understand too, in previous posts, I was foolish in thinking that the cloudlifter would equate to more noise, that was a lack of information on my end, and I see where I was wrong.

Isolating the problem to the Solo or Cloudlifter is the most logical thing I can conclude, but I will post a recording in a few hours of my voice and link it here so everyone can hear me, with no cloudlifter.

Before looking into buying anything, I realize that is very foolish since, as previous posts indicated, technique is what matters the most, and even with expensive equipment, things can fail. So, I will ignore my tendencies and not "buy" more solutions, since I need to focus on my technique first and foremost.

I recognized that standing 10 inches away from the microphone was terrible thanks to people in this forum, that helped a lot, but I still have that noise issue. The only thing that makes me so compelled to fix this problem is how effortless people online make this microphone out to be when it comes to being super silent. But this is a good thing, I think I figure out my problem right here and now, I can leave and not have to make another random forum post asking a silly question to a group of professionals who recognize how amateurish I am.

In a few hours like I said, I'll post a sample recording
Lives for gear
Quote:
But this is a good thing, I think I figure out my problem right here and now, I can leave and not have to make another random forum post asking a silly question to a group of professionals who recognize how amateurish I am.
Recognizing one's amateurish ways is how one becomes less amateur.

I know because I've been working on it for decades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast ➡️
Recognizing one's amateurish ways is how one becomes less amateur.

I know because I've been working on it for decades.
Ah I see, yeah that sounds about right. Okay, well I'm thankful people are here to help me!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Seriously... you've been reading way too much gearspace about cloudlifters and the importance of upgrading your gear. The advice in this thread is all you need to get over this hurdle. Don't over-complicate things.

-Record in a quiet environment.
-Lose the cloudlifter *
-Get close to the mic. (might want to try an SM57 with decent pop filter also)
-Turn up the pre-amp gain until you get a good level going into the DAW without over-driving.

* Actually, you can keep the cloudlifter. It's not doing any harm, and will allow your pre-amp to see a stronger signal coming in. Not a bad thing; all you have to do is turn down the gain a little.

Your issue has nothing to do with gear. It's 100% user related. This is the simple stuff. If you get stuck on this basic stuff, you are doomed to wallow forever in the GS and marketing misinformation rabbit hole. Use common sense, get over these newbie hurdles and move on to encountering and solving more advanced problems.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro ➡️
Seriously... you've been reading way too much gearspace about cloudlifters and the importance of upgrading your gear. The advice in this thread is all you need to get over this hurdle. Don't over-complicate things.

-Lose the cloudlifter *
-Turn up the pre-amp gain until you get a good level going into the DAW without over-driving.

* Actually, you can keep the cloudlifter. It's not doing any harm, and will allow your pre-amp to see a stronger signal coming in. Not a bad thing; all you have to do is turn down the gain a little.

Your issue has nothing to do with gear. It's 100% user related. This is the simple stuff. If you get stuck on this basic stuff, you are doomed to wallow forever in the GS and marketing misinformation rabbit hole. Use common sense, get over these newbie hurdles and move on to encountering and solving more advanced problems.
It won't improve the noise floor of that particular preamp. It will change the impedance, and could create a grounding issue. There is absolutely no reason to use it with that mic and preamp on the intended source.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ah I see, yeah that sounds about right. Okay, well I'm thankful people are here to help me!
Humility is always good in this industry, so brownie points for that.

Post samples (without the Cloudlifter) with your voice 1–2" from the mic, and we'll tell you if there's something wrong with the interface.
Quote:

-Lose the cloudlifter *

Yeah, that's the key right there -- that's what I gotta do when I record,
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
It won't improve the noise floor of that particular preamp. It will change the impedance, and could create a grounding issue. There is absolutely no reason to use it with that mic and preamp on the intended source.
yeah, there are those possibilities. I agree that less circuitry is better in nearly every situation. I'm kind of a "wire with gain" guy, unless I'm trying to purposefully manipulate a sound. It's gotta have motivation, and a gain bump device has no motivation here. I've never used one of these things, and never will.

IMO, the thing they most generate is money for the manufacturer. The Soyuz supposedly adds transformer like distortion, but I can't vouch for it's sonic contribution value first hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortingJack ➡️
Humility is always good in this industry, so brownie points for that.

Post samples (without the Cloudlifter) with your voice 1–2" from the mic, and we'll tell you if there's something wrong with the interface.
Alright, I did my recording

No cloudlifter, getting closer to the mic like Stevie Wonder (1-2"), turning up gain with the Focusrite Scarlett Solo.

Just a rant really, anyways here:

https://voca.ro/1ho3NMxLijQS
Gear Nut

Quote:
Alright, I did my recording

No cloudlifter, getting closer to the mic like Stevie Wonder (1-2"), turning up gain with the Focusrite Scarlett Solo.

Just a rant really, anyways here:

https://voca.ro/1ho3NMxLijQS
That particular site uses low bitrate mp3, which is probably the worst choice for low bitrate lossy codecs, but that's a moot point.

What do you think of your recording?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is that clip with max gain on the solo?
Gear Nut

Your True Peaks are quite low. Did you record into your DAW with your gain set to max?
Quote:
Your True Peaks are quite low. Did you record into your DAW with your gain set to max?
Yes, I turned the knob to the max gain
Quote:
That particular site uses low bitrate mp3, which is probably the worst choice for low bitrate lossy codecs, but that's a moot point.

What do you think of your recording?
I think I could've been better with it, wish my voice was stronger currently. It's very quiet, despite being turned up to the max on the DAW
Quote:
Originally Posted by shobud ➡️
Is that clip with max gain on the solo?
Yes I made it to the max on the solo
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yes, I turned the knob to the max gain
This is important, what did you record into? Many non-music production programs and apps may not handle the level correctly. Zoom can be problematic for this and so could that website if you recorded directly to it.
Quote:
This is important, what did you record into? Many non-music production programs and apps may not handle the level correctly. Zoom can be problematic for this and so could that website if you recorded directly to it.
I recorded into Audacity and then exported as a wav
Attached Files

sample recording_01.wav (13.47 MB, 157 views)

Gear Nut

Quote:
I think I could've been better with it, wish my voice was stronger currently. It's very quiet, despite being turned up to the max on the DAW
Your room tone is about -70 dB FS and your signal peaks around -28 dB FS TP. Let's say about 40 dB difference. In my experience, you could get closer (I have used that mic) and there is nothing about the room tone that tells me you have any particular noise issues, although you can hear that the room isn't treated.
Gear Nut

Quote:
I recorded into Audacity and then exported as a wav

Just attach the wav file here.
Quote:

Just attach the wav file here.
alrighty I attached it, didn't know I could do that haha. The file is trimmed down significantly so the file size isn't too big and gearspace can upload it
Lives for gear
Quote:
You should be able to boost it a bit after recording but of course the better the original source sounds the better the final product will be.

You go off mic a bunch, that's the bigger issue that I hear, it is a bit low in volume overall though.
Quote:
You should be able to boost it a bit after recording but of course the better the original source sounds the better the final product will be.

You go off mic a bunch, that's the bigger issue that I hear, it is a bit low in volume overall though.
Okay, I'll try to go closer, I was really close to the mic that time, I didn't measure exactly how close I was. All I did was copy how Stevie Wonder looked and went that much closer to the mic

EDIT: Ah, another thing: So, I purposely didn't boost anything after the recording so you guys could hear it raw. But, when I would boost the audio, the noise would be heard. Now, that happens with any audio file if you were to amplify it right, but see, in the past whenever I would amplify the audio gain of a RE20-recorded audio file, I would still NEVER have much noise. In this recording, if you boost it to respectable audio levels that someone would expect to hear it in, noise would creep up, which I find strange
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Other issue in play.
I guarantee, if I made a recording with an RE20 and a Scarlett cranked to max, it would produce a loud file. This is barely audible with both the site player and my computer volume dimed.
Quote:
Other issue in play.
I guarantee, if I made a recording with an RE20 and a Scarlett cranked to max, it would produce a loud file. This is barely audible with both the site player and my computer volume dimed.
Yeah, that's odd... so I put the gain knob on the Focusrite to the max, I just turned it up as much as I could. I agree, it is quiet. I don't know why it's so quiet
📝 Reply