Quantcast
Can of worms… AML ez1073 vs WA273 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can of worms… AML ez1073 vs WA273
View Poll Results: Which 1073?
WA273
0 Votes - 0%
AML EX1073 plus chassis
9 Votes - 81.82%
Neither
2 Votes - 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2nd September 2021
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Can of worms… AML ez1073 vs WA273

I know this is a hotly debated topic, which one is better, theoretical build quality, etc.
I know for sure I want two channels of 1073 to outfit a new small room. I don’t NEED EQ (necessarily).

In the past, I’ve been all about diy (Hairball Rev D, 2x Lola, 8x cAPI VP26) but these days time is at a premium.

I’m tempted to snag a Warm WA273 (no eq version), but a little voice in my mind says “go for the AML EZ1073 kit and the DIY Rec two space chassis.”

In actual use, are we going to have noticeably different audio when using the Warms or are we splitting hairs?
(Other tempting options are Don classics, Vintech, BAE, but being realistic these will not be used as often as a Manley core we plan to have in there for main vocal duties. Mostly to have a stereo pair handy.)

I just need to decide already. Lol.
Old 2nd September 2021
  #2
Lives for gear
 
thismercifulfate's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I highly recommend the Avedis MA5 for a Neve-style pre without EQ. I really cannot recommend the Warm. In my experience it sounds dreadful.
Old 2nd September 2021
  #3
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
GAP 73 DLX. Great features, excellent build quality and components.

Owned the AML which I now sold. But I would chose AML in a heartbeat over WA.
Old 4th September 2021 | Show parent
  #4
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen ➡️
GAP 73 DLX. Great features, excellent build quality and components.

Owned the AML which I now sold. But I would chose AML in a heartbeat over WA.
Interesting. I kind of assumed the GAP were the same story/tier as the Warms.
What'd you think of the AML? Now I'm kind of eyeballing a pair of ez1073 AND two of their ezPDI500 (DI and ReAmp). You only live once, right?
Old 4th September 2021
  #5
I've made 4 of the ez1073s and I'm saving up for 6 more.

edit:
The instructions are excellent so it's a really easy build and the components are top notch.
Old 4th September 2021 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tronnyjenkins ➡️
Interesting. I kind of assumed the GAP were the same story/tier as the Warms.
What'd you think of the AML? Now I'm kind of eyeballing a pair of ez1073 AND two of their ezPDI500 (DI and ReAmp). You only live once, right?
I don't think so. GAP is point to point soldered. Premium components. Just look at pics of their insides. I haven't tried the WA73 though. But allot of people overlook GApremier and it's pure quality.

I sold my AML after demoing the GAPs. They didn't have that annoying 1khz push of the AML. And being able to push the GAP and using the output pad is super useful.
Old 4th September 2021
  #7
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tronnyjenkins ➡️
I know this is a hotly debated topic, which one is better, theoretical build quality, etc.
I know for sure I want two channels of 1073 to outfit a new small room. I don’t NEED EQ (necessarily).

In the past, I’ve been all about diy (Hairball Rev D, 2x Lola, 8x cAPI VP26) but these days time is at a premium.

I’m tempted to snag a Warm WA273 (no eq version), but a little voice in my mind says “go for the AML EZ1073 kit and the DIY Rec two space chassis.”

In actual use, are we going to have noticeably different audio when using the Warms or are we splitting hairs?
(Other tempting options are Don classics, Vintech, BAE, but being realistic these will not be used as often as a Manley core we plan to have in there for main vocal duties. Mostly to have a stereo pair handy.)

I just need to decide already. Lol.
If you don’t need the eq get an Avedis MA5. (which might even take vocals duty over the manley )
Very well made, best components out there, hand made by Avedis himself in LA. Sounds better than the competition imho.

Another option are the BAE mp or mpf or if on the budget look at the SCA N72, (there’s also the oneshot version, if you need a self contained 1 channel only)..

I hope this helps,



Cheu
Old 4th September 2021
  #8
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I heard, that the guy from AML, Colin?...is an ex-Neve employee.

AML makes amazing compressors. I love the way they sound.
Old 4th September 2021 | Show parent
  #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen ➡️
I don't think so. GAP is point to point soldered. Premium components. Just look at pics of their insides. I haven't tried the WA73 though. But allot of people overlook GApremier and it's pure quality.

I sold my AML after demoing the GAPs. They didn't have that annoying 1khz push of the AML. And being able to push the GAP and using the output pad is super useful.
Do you meant that they're "through hole" soldered as opposed to surface mount? Because almost nothing is point to point these days, it's incredibly inefficient and makes little/no sense for mass production. If there's a PCB it's not point to point.
Old 4th September 2021
  #10
Lives for gear
 
standup's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
AML makes cheap 1073 kits, which I learned about recently. My 500 rack is full, so I’m not going down this road.

http://www.audiomaintenance.com/acat...%5finfo%2ehtml
Old 4th September 2021 | Show parent
  #11
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_T_Music ➡️
Do you meant that they're "through hole" soldered as opposed to surface mount? Because almost nothing is point to point these days, it's incredibly inefficient and makes little/no sense for mass production. If there's a PCB it's not point to point.
Yes and no connectors either except for the gain switch. The WA73 uses a ton of connectors. Then if that affect the sound or not I'm not the guy to answer that question haha .. but the GAP way is preferred
Old 4th September 2021
  #12
Gear Guru
 
chessparov2.0's Avatar
 
The GAP-73 Jr. has been a temptation, to mess around with for me.
Chris
Old 4th September 2021 | Show parent
  #13
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen ➡️
Yes and no connectors either except for the gain switch. The WA73 uses a ton of connectors. Then if that affect the sound or not I'm not the guy to answer that question haha .. but the GAP way is preferred
I thought...at some point when I was building my Neve's...I read about noise issues these things had. Pretty sure I've seen the insides, and these are definitely not point to point soldered. I assumed they were typical foreign copies.
Old 4th September 2021 | Show parent
  #14
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyeguy ➡️
I thought...at some point when I was building my Neve's...I read about noise issues these things had. Pretty sure I've seen the insides, and these are definitely not point to point soldered. I assumed they were typical foreign copies.
Maybe it was the project line? I'm talking about the premier deluxe. I think the early project line had some noise issue.
Old 6th September 2021
  #15
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
It's looking like I will be going down the non Warm road after too much research. It's either going to be 2x AML ez1073 plus two or their sweet looking passive DIs, the Sound Skulptor 573, or splurge and go for a pair of the Avedis MA5. There is a Stam stereo 1073mpa on Reverb, but I am waiting to hear back if it is a Sowter unit or not...
Old 6th September 2021
  #16
Gear Nut
 
Quote:
It's looking like I will be going down the non Warm road after too much research. It's either going to be 2x AML ez1073 plus two or their sweet looking passive DIs, the Sound Skulptor 573, or splurge and go for a pair of the Avedis MA5. There is a Stam stereo 1073MPA on Reverb, but I am waiting to hear back if it is a Sowter unit or not...
There's really no comparison between Warm & AML I know from experience so it's good you've honed it down to serious choices. No experience with the Avedis but I get the vibe it's a 1073 with a cleaner/high headroom Jensen Transformer. I love those things as well as Carnhills I doubt you'll go wrong with either. Cheers.
Old 6th September 2021 | Show parent
  #17
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tronnyjenkins ➡️
It's looking like I will be going down the non Warm road after too much research. It's either going to be 2x AML ez1073 plus two or their sweet looking passive DIs, the Sound Skulptor 573, or splurge and go for a pair of the Avedis MA5. There is a Stam stereo 1073mpa on Reverb, but I am waiting to hear back if it is a Sowter unit or not...
Avedis are top notch indeed, can’t go wrong. One man operation, with very high quality standards (and customer service).

If on the budget check out the SCA N72, as said.
Or some used bae mp1073 on reverb/ebay/GS classifieds.

These are the options where I’d invest my money if I were in your shoes.
I own several Avedis modules and they are incredible, definitely worth their price. They are “modern classics” imho.. and the classics of tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongPlate ➡️
No experience with the Avedis but I get the vibe it's a 1073 with a cleaner/high headroom Jensen Transformer. I love those things as well as Carnhills I doubt you'll go wrong with either. Cheers.

Btw the Jensen custom xformer on the output of the MA5 is a custom made Jensen that Avedis painstakingly specced (tested and developed with the ppl at Jensen) in order to get the sound / harmonics of an original marinair. (He owns several marinairs and neve xformers and he went down the rabbit hole to get these results.. not for the faint of heart).

It’s made on a special machine at Jensen afaik, small batches.
So it’s not your “off the shelf“ Jensen (which are also excellent xformers, but has nothing to do with the custom made one for the MA5).



Cheu
Old 16th September 2021
  #18
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Just to bring the thread up to date, I now have in my possession an MA5, a LaChapelle 583s, an ez1073 plus add on eq and passive DI by AML to build. Also a Manley Core and a WA76. We should be pretty well set up. Plus our interface in that room is a Slate VRS8 so we’ve got some in the box models.

I’ll update later on with some thoughts.
Old 16th September 2021 | Show parent
  #19
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tronnyjenkins ➡️
Just to bring the thread up to date, I now have in my possession an MA5, a LaChapelle 583s, an ez1073 plus add on eq and passive DI by AML to build. Also a Manley Core and a WA76. We should be pretty well set up. Plus our interface in that room is a Slate VRS8 so we’ve got some in the box models.
I’ll update later on with some thoughts.
Good job!! That’s the way to do it!!

So you can test them in your room, with your mics and your sources and keep the one (or ones) that YOU like best, despite what I or other ppl say. At that level is quite personal..

You have a good selection and variety.. you are in a win-win situation.



Cheu

Last edited by cheu78; 16th September 2021 at 05:08 PM..
Old 17th September 2021
  #20
Gear Guru
 
chessparov2.0's Avatar
 
But who can forget an ART Tube MP PRO?
Really people!
Chris
Old 28th September 2021
  #21
Gear Head
 
ofriendoe's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Following. I recently moved over to a 500R8 (with a 500ADAT on standby) and am trying to build an all-around never-look-back home rig. So far I have 2 Electrodyne 501s. 2 Camdens, 1 of 2 Lolas, 1 of 2 Juggernauts... and waiting for a Neve on a budget option that makes sense... my eyes are burning from all of the thread scouring. MA5, ez1073, and GAP seem to be my major contenders... or maybe a Hairball Bronze just because it has a unique flavor.
Old 25th October 2021 | Show parent
  #22
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofriendoe ➡️
Following. I recently moved over to a 500R8 (with a 500ADAT on standby) and am trying to build an all-around never-look-back home rig. So far I have 2 Electrodyne 501s. 2 Camdens, 1 of 2 Lolas, 1 of 2 Juggernauts... and waiting for a Neve on a budget option that makes sense... my eyes are burning from all of the thread scouring. MA5, ez1073, and GAP seem to be my major contenders... or maybe a Hairball Bronze just because it has a unique flavor.
I haven't put the ez1073 nor the MA5 through a TON of paces, but I can say that both do sound awesome. And, the MA5 doesn't sound exactly Neve (as alluded to in earlier posts) but it does sound hifi.
I know words like these to describe preamps are overused and prone to preconceived notions, but if I had to give each preamp a one word descriptor, I would say that the ez1073 is "solid" and the MA5 is "clear". I expect to use both for many years to come.

Oh yeah and the quality on both units is top notch. If you choose to build the ez1073, take your time and it will most likely come out great.
Old 26th October 2021 | Show parent
  #23
Gear Head
 
ofriendoe's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Great, thanks for the input!
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 83 views: 21920
Avatar for TonyBelmont
TonyBelmont 26th November 2007
replies: 395 views: 43645
Avatar for TonyBelmont
TonyBelmont 23rd March 2009
replies: 196 views: 86739
Avatar for phillyguitar
phillyguitar 2 weeks ago
replies: 1177 views: 113862
Avatar for Whitecat
Whitecat 29th July 2013
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump