Quantcast
Sweetwater Music bought by a Private Equity Firm| Founder & CEO just stepped down, next GC? - Page 15 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sweetwater Music bought by a Private Equity Firm| Founder & CEO just stepped down, next GC?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJElectricDaddy ➡️
That’s a very naive view of post-modern capitalism. The ‘growing company’ metric is not number of employees, but net profit dollars and cents. You can grow one whilst reducing the other. I’ll let you do the math. It’s hardly a rare occurrence.
Actually that is a sweeping and overly generalized view and arguably the more naive view in the context of this thread and this buyout, and even the overall picture of PE firm buyouts . Because it is based primarily on Publicly Traded company dynamics and or what has happened in a number of highly publicized situations where PE's bought out Publicly Traded companies that were already showing a decline in profit or revenue and while Yes ,,, it did in fact result in cuts in employment . But it is actually not the case in most Private Equity buyouts of Private Companies, especially companies that were already increasing in profit (which is the case in this thread ), in which case employment also grew more often than not .

https://www.capmktsreg.org/2020/07/2...vity-and-jobs/
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffybox ➡️
And all of it is delicious except for the peppermint star brites. Guess which one I get at a typical ratio of 14 to 1, or thereabouts…
I once pulled a crown with one of their Bit-o-Honeys. I didn't send them the dental bill. I figured "personal responsibility."
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Two DPA 4099 Core, for acoustic guitars at a live event, arrived from Sweetwater a week ago, there was candy.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJElectricDaddy ➡️
That’s a very naive view of post-modern capitalism. The ‘growing company’ metric is not number of employees, but net profit dollars and cents. You can grow one whilst reducing the other. I’ll let you do the math. It’s hardly a rare occurrence.
This.....!

I have spent my entire career working for large corporations and every time there was any sort of takeover or major shift in management, jobs were cut. Jobs are ALWAYS the first thing to go and it is usually the folks that do the work rather than the inept pencil pushers that are managers and directors.

That said - I will step back and wait to see how this change impacts Sweetwater. Speculation is fine but it also means nothing. What transpires is what matters.

I am lucky in the sense I pared down my gear as I am nearing retirement and have learned that "stuff" becomes more of an albatross. My goal is to not bring things home anymore. I will likely make an occasional purchase from Sweetwater but I do not see myself being impacted much regardless of the impact to their business and processes. There are other options if and when I need to make a purchase so if Sweetwater goes down the drain, it won't matter much to me.
<Moderator Msg>

Capitalism and discussion of Politics are not allowed on Gearspace.

Thx
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro ➡️
I once pulled a crown with one of their Bit-o-Honeys. I didn't send them the dental bill. I figured "personal responsibility."
or preexisting condition!

I once saw Drew Carey on a talk show and he was talking about a heart attack he had. In the ambulance on the way to the hospital, he said his only thought was "maybe I shouldn't have had the Cheesy Bread"
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Sorry to hear that happened Kenny.
Chris
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro ➡️
Sweetwater Bit-O-Honeys are always stale. Always.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
and i, personally still always eat them
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't understand Bit-O-Honey. I don't know what it is, I think it's caulk, it's fvckin horrible.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuyLocs602 ➡️

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljefe ➡️
I don't understand Bit-O-Honey. I don't know what it is, I think it's caulk, it's fvckin horrible.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru ➡️
<Moderator Msg>

Capitalism and discussion of Politics are not allowed on Gearspace.

Thx
This rule is getting increasingly inconvenient. How can the topic of this thread possibly be apolitical?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsaamah ➡️
This rule is getting increasingly inconvenient. How can the topic of this thread possibly be apolitical?
Very easy,,, stick to the business economics and history of PE acquisitions.
Resorting to political arguments or comments , simply represents a lack of ability to offer a "substantive" comment, on the economics of the situation....

Economically it's pretty simple,,,, 80% of the time PE acquisitions work and benefit the company and the employees ,,,, 20 % of the time (which is a high number ) they don't,,,, and when they fail it tends to be quite spectacular and gets a lot of publicity ... The rest is just subjective and speculative nonsense
Quote:
To quote Skunk Anansie:
“Yes it’s ****ing political, everything’s political”
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Wait.

Are you trying to say that there exists a "state" of Bit-O-Honeys where they are not as hard as a rock? How do you obtain these?
Highjack the truck just as it is leaving the factory? Get a job there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuyLocs602 ➡️
I always wondered - do you really "eat" something if you are just basically dissolving it? I would never "bite" or "chew" a Bit-O-Honey any more than I would bite or chew a Sugar Daddy. But its not a liquid so you can't "drink" it.

Quote:
I agree, the staleness of Bit-O-Honeys is a direct outgrowth of the Capitalist exploitation of the masses.
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➡️
I always wondered - do you really "eat" something if you are just basically dissolving it? I would never "bite" or "chew" a Bit-O-Honey any more than I would bite or chew a Sugar Daddy. But its not a liquid so you can't "drink" it.
Fourth state of matter...
Solid, Liquid, Gas, Bit-O-Honey.

Quote:
I agree, the staleness of Bit-O-Honeys is a direct outgrowth of the Capitalist exploitation of the masses.
The Spangler acquisition is to blame for this.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wait.

Are you trying to say that there exists a "state" of Bit-O-Honeys where they are not as hard as a rock? How do you obtain these?
Highjack the truck just as it is leaving the factory? Get a job there?

I found them inedible until I started getting them in packages off my doorstep that averages ~120 Deg F during the summer. Nice and squishy thanks to South Texas climate!
My problem is I like to crunch the Fireballs, and my teeth aren't that good anymore.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Na ,,,, it is a conspiracy of deep state dentists
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind ➡️
Very easy,,, stick to the business economics and history of PE acquisitions.
Resorting to political arguments or comments , simply represents a lack of ability to offer a "substantive" comment, on the economics of the situation....

Economically it's pretty simple,,,, 80% of the time PE acquisitions work and benefit the company and the employees ,,,, 20 % of the time (which is a high number ) they don't,,,, and when they fail it tends to be quite spectacular and gets a lot of publicity ... The rest is just subjective and speculative nonsense
I don't disagree with you per se... It's just that I think the line between politics and economics is *very* thin, to say the least.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I don't disagree with you per se... It's just that I think the line between politics and economics is *very* thin, to say the least.
Well no question politics can influence what happens in an economy ..BUT besides being against forum policy , it is also a different discussion.
Because politics has nothing to with,,,whether or not, serving the business bottom line in this specific PE buyout situation, will result in things like a degradation of service, or employee cuts, or dismantling and selling off the company.
📝 Reply