Quantcast
Banging my head against the wall trying to decide between the Audientasp800 or the Clarett octopre 8 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Banging my head against the wall trying to decide between the Audientasp800 or the Clarett octopre 8
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Banging my head against the wall trying to decide between the Audientasp800 or the Clarett octopre 8

Had to downsize moved into a new smaller spot so no consoles not a lot of rack gear. Setting up 4 piece drum kit in the corner of the room going to make it up pretty good need a 8 channel pre since I can't use either of my consoles. Narrowed it down to these two it's only about $100 difference in price. Just looking for some outside perspective while I try and make a decision pretty swiftly. I am intrigued by the air setting on the OCTopre but the asp800 is also very clean. About to pull the trigger on the octopre because it's cheaper mainly.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
maybe you wanna consider the midas xl-48...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
We have run the Audients for years and found them impeccable. Independent AES/EBU, Lightpipe and analogue line-level outputs are really useful. Variable high-pass filters. For a tight-budget 8way the Behringer is useful too - we have one for backup.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I went with the Focusrite. Figured since I am running an 18i8 I'd just stick with the brand.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ASP008 is nice and clean with two DI's. Solid and colorless. it's a step up from the Octapre.

Mackie Onyx 8 preamp rack unit is not bad either for the price.
https://reverb.com/item/42187334-mac...standalone-use
https://reverb.com/item/40515249-mac...aHNI4T-rcMAxQw
https://reverb.com/item/41213201-mac...preamp-mic-pre
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Last Focusrite interface I had was a Pro 40. When I went to a MOTU 1248 things changed for the better across the board. Better sound in every way. Noticeable, not subtle. I still use a Focusrite ISA 428 mic pre with their ADAT i/o card so not totally abandoning their gear, but the Pro 40 sucked. Pro my ass.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I love pairing my octopre with my apollo 8. Sometime i have to turn the gain knob up a lot, but there isn’t any noise or other issues, so it’s all good. The “air” sounds great getting me closer to the sound I want going in, but the biggest thing I like is the analog inserts! That gained functionality and the fact that you can get them significantly cheaper than the audient made it a no brainer for me. Great product.

Also, the Clarrett series is way better than the old Saffire series (pro 40, etc)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Audient ASP 880 and you have inserts and more

Matti
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyF ➡️
(...)For a tight-budget 8way the Behringer is useful too - we have one for backup.
which 'behringer'? original behringer or midas owned by behringer?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
which 'behringer'? original behringer or midas owned by behringer?
I was hoping you wouldn't ask!
Mea culpa: I bought it on EBay. It is called an Ultragain Pro-8 ADA-8000
https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0187

We needed four channels of analogue out on a 48k video project to go to headphones for cueing and it was a cheap and cheerful instant solution.

You see them on EBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402999754...EAAOSwiGtg8u68
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyF ➡️
I was hoping you wouldn't ask!
Mea culpa: I bought it on EBay. It is called an Ultragain Pro-8 ADA-8000
https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0187

We needed four channels of analogue out on a 48k video project to go to headphones for cueing and it was a cheap and cheerful instant solution.

You see them on EBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402999754...EAAOSwiGtg8u68
lol - thx!

l admit that i got one of the midas-branded preamps (xl-48) and i hate to say but it's a fairly decent piece of gear; i find the filters to be particularly useful - however, results can barely get compared to results one gets from using a real xl4 (but then, we're talkining about a massive difference in price, not to speak of the size, age, design and the purpose device)...

___

while i'm at it: i still consider the yamaha ad8hr (8-channel mic preamp/ad-to-aes converter) to be a valuable tool - can be found ridiculously cheap these days!

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 1 week ago at 03:36 PM.. Reason: typo...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Can’t imagine there is a big difference between the two but I’m an Audient 800 user. I use it mostly for drums & percussion. It’s clean, has plenty of gain and detail.

Only thing I would add is that for a little more the 880 gives you inserts that might prove useful. Were I to get one today I would get the 880.

Other than the inserts I’ve used the 800 for a few years and have made loads of nice sounding recordings. It gets my vote.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Incidentally, if I actually were buying now I would probably go for the Cranborne 500 series interface. It’s a lot more money but much more versatile allowing you to fill it with whatever combination of preamps, EQs, or compressors you like. Also, you can purchase modules over a period of time minimizing the financial hit. Other than that, for another high end choice there is the Grace 8 channel pre with A/D.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I have Clarrett OctoPre to expand Apollo X unit and very happy with functionality and sound.
If I was recording great musicians with equally great mic's (and had the skills!) I might "upgrade" to a Grace Design alternative... but that's not where I am...
📝 Reply