Quantcast
If You Are Making Music In Today's Era What Matters Is How Good You Have It - Page 77 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
If You Are Making Music In Today's Era What Matters Is How Good You Have It
Old 2 hours ago | Show parent
  #2281
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 ➡️
People make it about you because what you present is counter to facts and reality, and when presented with facts that show your reality to be inaccurate you slither and spin to maintain your reality in spite of the facts.

This makes people go “what’s this guy’s issue?” and the thread becomes about that.
No, that is YOUR m.o. and Nat808

Neither of you are playing in bands, touring. Neither of you are particularly young.
You talk at length about the power f social media and have barely used it.

That's all fine. But please don't accuse someone of not knowing the reality, when neither of you are particularly experienced in the music industry as a whole.
Old 2 hours ago | Show parent
  #2282
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 ➡️
This makes people go “what’s this guy’s issue?”
So now you're talking for everyone?

75% of UK musicians made less than £200 a year from streaming. Only 7% made over £1000.
That is the beginning, the middle and the end of 'my issue'.

I don't how social media changes that scenario, like you seem to think it would.
Nat8008 has never even released a record, but is the resident expert on Spotify and how it impacts musicians.
Old 2 hours ago | Show parent
  #2283
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➡️
Just saying....



To which I replied:


Again it's not about me and I don't need your help - thanks.
That’s a quick general list of more egotistical things I see on IG that turns me off from following a page. I didn’t see any politics on yours, much less express worry to you about posting about racism, that’s entirely your filter between reality and your perception of it, an example of what I was talking about in my last post.

The point was these artistic pages that are a display of 100% creative output without a bunch of “me doing me” ego posts are the biggest draw for me personally, having approached IG with the mindset of a consumer looking for engaging content, and seem to rise above the pack as far as follower/following ratio for everyone except famous people and highly attractive people. It’s something to think about, you already have all the content you just need to edit and arrange it and you may end up finding more success and less frustration over time as it grows. Like it or jot, social media is currently where the audience is at.

The main audience for musicians used to be at gigs, now the main audience is on socials. How you work socials is as important now as how good your live show used to be. Gotta adapt, adaptation is the strongest and most important survival trait in life.
Old 2 hours ago | Show parent
  #2284
Lives for gear
 
TREMORS's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➡️
Like?
Quotes would be handy.
Your statement about Rick Beato is character assassination.
Anyone who disagrees with you, you generally treat with disdain.

You constantly say it "it isn't about me" or it's not personal to you and then you say your personal, anecdotal experience in the music industry is the only truth.
Old 1 hour ago | Show parent
  #2285
Lives for gear
 
telecode's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➡️
Because he's not a record producer, he has never toured with a band.
He posts videos that are tailor made to suit a certain demographic - people who hate Pro Tools, people who hate auto-tune, people who think programmed music is lesser compared to a four piece band.
I have nothing against him, good for him, but if you're asking if he has a lot of respect from professional musicians? Not really, he's just another internet phenom.
I watch some of his content. I didn't get that vibe at all. Have you seen any episodes? He uses ProTools himself when he has broken down tracks. He has also covered lots of examples of modern electronic music and even autotune. But yeah... most of the stuff he discusses is old school rock and 90s alt rock as I guess he is that generation. Also true, he is not Mutt Lange. But then again.. Mutt Lange does not need a YT channel to survive.
Old 1 hour ago | Show parent
  #2286
Sky
Lives for gear
 
Sky's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 ➡️
Yeah I'm not bothered by being buried by it. There are so many tastemakers out there at all levels of the game, scouting for good music, who's reputations are built on discovering new good music, that with a bit of intelligent effort you can get your music released with some impact. . . *IF* its actually above par and you're smart about who you send to.

[...]

You can get on TikTok and whine about the sea of mediocrity, or you can get on TikTok and find joy in the great creative stuff that gets posted every day. Its your call. Tastemaker's role is to look out for the latter. The sea of noise doesn't affect things too much because people recognize cream. With a bit of correct effort by the creator, it finds its way up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➡️
Tastemaker's role is to look for the next dollar.
It's no criticism of them per say, it's how the system is designed.
It's a money go round that takes free content (made by creatives) and monetises it for the benefit of influencers and the platforms (Tok-Tok, Youtube, Spotify etc).
If you are lucky you cam earn between $200 and $1000 a year as a music creator. Then take off the fees you paid all those influencers.
Tastemaker's role is to look for undiscovered creative stuff?
Tastemaker's role is to look for the next dollar?

Why not both? The most passionate people I've worked with are also the most successful. Passion attracts investment better than cynicism in my experience.

My streaming AI algorithms are not overloading me with major-label music. To the contrary, I've built such a strong history of favoring indie artists that recommendations are likewise skewed toward indie.

I do notice however, that algorithms serve me new content by artists I routinely listen to. This is true with both Spotify and YouTube. I watch three video podcasts by a certain blogger, and now his new videos routinely appear in my watch list. He certainly was not "major label" when I started watching him, but may become "major label" as he attracts more views. The algorithm is fueling this by giving me more of what I'll likely respond to, whatever it is. That's the dance. Were the blogger not passionate and creative, I would not watch enough of his videos for the algorithm to kick in.

A co-worker once shared this quote with me: "Investment follows the clearest vision of success."

Sky
Old 1 hour ago | Show parent
  #2287
Lives for gear
 
telecode's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➡️
I have absolutely nothing against the guy. He isn't credible in the professional music business. He posts popular videos that push the buttons of his demographic.
That's fine. He can keep doing that and make money as far as I'm concerned.
If you think he's widely respected - sorry, you are mistaken.
I think it's good to keep in mind people like Rick Beato and Tim Pierce are IMO YT entertainers. They do what they do really well. You will not get people like Brian Eno or Daniel Lanois rambling on YT. They are too busy making their own stuff or working on other artists stuff. I have enjoyed their shows. In particular Tim Pierce. I have seen many of my childhood idols and its so great to see how humble people like Lukather and Neil Geraldo are.
Old 1 hour ago | Show parent
  #2288
Sky
Lives for gear
 
Sky's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➡️
MP Inquiry:

149.Editorial playlists are playlists created by the employees of a service or high-profile, influential, marketable third parties. Creators have told us that being featured on playlists has a significant impact on reach and revenues.531 One creator, who has achieved 17 million streams on Spotify, wrote that “my success as an artist has been largely helped by placement on Spotify editorial playlists—this has driven my streaming numbers up and has earnt me modest recognition and in turn some career enhancing opportunities”.532 In many ways, these playlists act like traditional radio, with a human gatekeeper deciding what tracks to include.533 Unlike streaming services, however, Ofcom’s Broadcasting Code specifically precludes practices such as pay-for-play, known as ‘payola’: section 10.5 states that “no commercial arrangement that involves payment, or the provision of some other valuable consideration, to the broadcaster may influence the selection or rotation of music for broadcast”.534
Thanks for this excerpt. It may be helpful to differentiate human-curated "editorial" playlists from algorithms. Editorial playlists absolutely invite bias and the possibility of payola, same as radio distribution and DJs in past years.

AI arguably can contain algorithmic bias, but it's not clear to me to what extent this may be happening. I'm interested though. If code reviews reveal lookup tables weighted toward paying majors, regardless of individual listening habits, that's a problem. I've not sensed this in my AI-generated recommendations.

My experience is that AI simply reinforces my personal listening choices. Knowing that this can become an echo chamber, I routinely go off-road to discover new music I may be missing. Once I find something I like, the algorithm once again starts serving me similar music. I do this because I'm into discovery. Someone who simply clicks on human-curated headlines is going to receive more of the same from the algorithms.

Sky
Old 1 hour ago | Show parent
  #2289
Sky
Lives for gear
 
Sky's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Slightly off topic, Chris, I just scanned your IG and in the process learned that you tracked The Whole of The Moon / Waterboys... Awesome! I've been a Mike Scott fan since hearing that song many years ago; he's a brilliant songwriter and lyricist in my opinion. Nice drum performance.

Sky
Old 1 hour ago | Show parent
  #2290
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➡️
He isn't credible in the professional music business.If you think he's widely respected - sorry, you are mistaken.
Does he come up in conversation often with your peers. "What do you think of Rick Beato?" "Oh, he has no credibility or respect. What do you think of him?" "Oh, he's a ****** with no respect."

I wouldn't really know because his name has never come up in any conversation I've had with another musician.
Old 57 minutes ago | Show parent
  #2291
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky ➡️
Tastemaker's role is to look for undiscovered creative stuff?
Tastemaker's role is to look for the next dollar?

Why not both? The most passionate people I've worked with are also the most successful. Passion attracts investment better than cynicism in my experience.

My streaming AI algorithms are not overloading me with major-label music. To the contrary, I've built such a strong history of favoring indie artists that recommendations are likewise skewed toward indie.

I do notice however, that algorithms serve me new content by artists I routinely listen to. This is true with both Spotify and YouTube. I watch three video podcasts by a certain blogger, and now his new videos routinely appear in my watch list. He certainly was not "major label" when I started watching him, but may become "major label" as he attracts more views. The algorithm is fueling this by giving me more of what I'll likely respond to, whatever it is. That's the dance. Were the blogger not passionate and creative, I would not watch enough of his videos for the algorithm to kick in.

A co-worker once shared this quote with me: "Investment follows the clearest vision of success."

Sky
Agree with all this, and yes, tastemakers both discover talent/creative works and help form societal tastes, and make money.

There’s a bit of reputational self-check in there: if a tastemaker strays from their values, they lose the trust of their audience. So you can’t buy your way onto a true tastemaker playlist or anything. Tastemakers do monetize though, the more people they spread their tastes to the more money they and the artists they support make, which adds more economy to themselves and their scene as a whole.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 29166 views: 3111136
Avatar for AcusticaCM
AcusticaCM 1 hour ago
replies: 21 views: 5354
Avatar for ibiking
ibiking 18th February 2018
replies: 751 views: 89798
Avatar for Mastropiero
Mastropiero 25 minutes ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump