Quantcast
If You Are Making Music In Today's Era What Matters Is How Good You Have It - Page 111 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
If You Are Making Music In Today's Era What Matters Is How Good You Have It
Old 21st August 2021 | Show parent
I'm not buying the "convince me position" ...IMO at this point there's been more than enough unneeded xenophobic/racial tropes aimed at only one skin colour , persistently being articulated through images, words and actions.

For me, the tropes started with the (revealing) connection made between delta blues players buying guitars and the behaviour of a young man from toronto (only obvious connection, skin colour) a few pages back when i posted about the NFT sale

Theres been a few pages now of people offering brilliantly articulated , insightful (and graciously given ) perspectives that are just being batted down ignorantly and in bad spirit imo.

At this point, my analogy for this thread is someone just chucking **** in everyones faces and demanding we all explain why it doesn't stink.

or we are all being eloquently trolled.

Theres plenty here for anyone to reflect on re: the brainwash of the self-aggrandising/perpetuating version of western history many of us were taught in school (aka propaganda). And as kenny and i have both said....look into the history of mesopotamia. Thats where you'll begin to learn about the diversion of homo sapiens into other geographical areas and subsequent cultural and (melanin) evolutions. If youre interested.

I wonder how much you've travelled jbuonnac
IMO The division we are presented in the propaganda we are exposed to in schools and films and media everyday may become internalised subconsciously, attached to ones own insecurities and neuroses (read K. Jung) and then recycled as a projection of ones own mental formulations. (This thread would be a great case study in those projections). The hope is this bias doesn't come so suffocating to your ability to view a fellow human as your brother, your sister.....that you're open enough to go into the world and begin to discover our similarities outweigh our differences.....and so often our differences enrich us and help us grow.

simply "In others i find myself...and in me others find themselves"

In order to not end my post on a negative....and as weird as it seems to post this on a music website...i'll nvite you jbuonnac to open your mind (and heart) to build your view on people from this following thought as a foundation.....id wager you might feel happier and more connected to all people, more so than through only your music collection.

(see screenshot)

peace
(screenshot)
Attached Thumbnails
If You Are Making Music In Today's Era What Matters Is How Good You Have It-dalai-lama.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro ➡️
Yeah, a label coined by explorers, derived from Greek. An umbrella term for a group of tribes... I'm unfamiliar with African languages. Mbenga? But that's probably just a single tribe. IDK. It'd take some study up, and I suspect that tracking the original names of all of the individual tribes would get somewhat complex.

But no doubt, power in definitions.
Sure there's power. I'm pretty sure the African people didn't think of those who coined the term calling them pygmies as "explorers"

It's one group having the unquestioned power to define itself, and everyone else.

Last edited by IM WHO YOU THINK; 21st August 2021 at 10:42 AM..
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK ➡️
Sure there's power. I'm pretty sure the African people didn't think of those who coined the term calling them pygmies as "explorers"
The world history of imperialism is long, convoluted and ugly. In 27bce (we don't say "BC" anymore, as that only works from a Christian gaze) The Romans began "conquering" Europe and North "Africa."
Did the "Africans" call their continent "Africa?" I believe it was Alkebulan... or was it? Africa is Roman-derived. The "Native Americans" didn't call the "new world" (it's only the "new world" to the Europeans who pilfered it from the native peoples) America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK ➡️
It's one group having the unquestioned power to define itself, and everyone else.
Agreed. Sometimes it's just the formation of language and culture to label things in a way that makes sense to the labeler. We all do it, all the time. Sometimes labels become common and simply contribute to language. And sometimes labels oppress, re-write history, or excuse the pirates among us for their atrocities.

I've pondered in the past that cultural identification itself (including nationalism, religion, group identification and everything else associated with culture), is the root of our inhumanity to one another. Without cultural identification and pride among the masses, the proliferation of a single powerful and ambitious person's greed could never manifest into awful realities such as ****ism, Roman Empire, European imperialism, Radical Islam, white supremacy, decimation of native peoples in the "Americas" (I suddenly feel a need to parenthesis a lot of words )... or the "conquering" of nations and enslavement of native peoples by imperialistic forces over the entire history of mankind.

Needles to say, the re-writing of language and history over the course of mankind is a deep subject. The dominators are always the gatekeepers; they manufacture history and labels. Personally, don't like being classified as "White." WTF is that? "Caucasian?" No thank you. Don't classify me into a group... any group. I neither join clubs, nor jump on bandwagons, and I find this has worked well for me in my decades on this earth.

Apologies for the lengthy meanderings. Your posts get me to thinking.
Old 21st August 2021
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
A stunning display of wisdom in the face of an ignorant foil, great read these past few pages. It's got to be a good discussion if HHDL shows up, haha.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx ➡️
It's got to be a good discussion if HHDL shows up, haha.
He's assuring us that it's OK to eat meat.
Thread has taken a wrong turn.

Thread closed.
Closed