Quantcast
Mic discussion: Audix - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic discussion: Audix
Old 16th May 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Mic discussion: Audix

Thought it might be useful to have a thread discussing mics by brand...opinions those who have used of course of top interest. What Audix mics have you owned/used? What did you like or not like about them compared to other mics?

This thread was requested...they seem to be an under-the-radar mic to me, mostly specializing in inexpensive dynamics and mostly for instruments. Never used, but those who have, at least from what I can tell on here, don't regret the purchases.
Old 24th May 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
And here I thought there were Audix fans here.
Old 24th May 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The i5 is a great French vanilla to a 57’s vanilla... so to speak. More open sounding but similar. It takes eq really well and the smaller size can get it in well with hats being rejected in the rear. Love it on guitar cab with a royer.

D6 is a click machine for the kick drum. When it’s needed it works well. Always needed a second mic though to get what I personally prefer.

Fireball is creative and fun for harmonica guys and those wanting to get wild in the studio overdubs. Cool dirt mic on drums too!

The condenser mics are all fine. Hit at their price point but could be interchanged with most sdc and ldc mics such as AT, etc.

Nothing they make sucks though IMO
Old 24th May 2021
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Their OM series handheld dynamics, especially the OM7's are amazing live mics, but as a studio guy I don't love their mics for recording even though I want to because they're made very close to where I live. I've owned an i5 and a pair of SCX-25A's and sold them both because something else always sounded better. I use to use D2's and D4's on toms but since I got a pair of e22S's fahgettaboudit.

That being said, every year I record a local high school Achapella choir and the best sound I've gotten for capturing their beatboxer has been to give him a D4 that he hand-holds and eats.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I had recent discussion with a guy who swears by the i5 for live work. He said he used them for recording and agreed that there are better mics out there, but in his opinion you need to spend a good bit more to upgrade, very reliable and as you say take EQ well.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
i5 lives on snare bottom for me. The open top is crispier for the snare wires, and the rejection is excellent.

D6 does the metal kick thing very well, better than a D112 to me. Sleeper on big floor toms too; massive.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I had a few D2s for a while and they are alright on toms, but they're gone now and I don't miss them. My friend who is a FOH guy prefers the D2 to the EV N/D468s on toms.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 ➑️
I had recent discussion with a guy who swears by the i5 for live work. He said he used them for recording and agreed that there are better mics out there, but in his opinion you need to spend a good bit more to upgrade, very reliable and as you say take EQ well.
I have the i5 and several other "not 57s". I use them on snare almost whimsically, interchangeably. A singer I know with a very soft voice chose the i5 for live use. She felt it gave her that little bit of extra 'cut' and gain before feedback.

An Audix D2 lives on my rack tom. I am very happy with it.

I used the SCX-25s once on piano and a pair of those is very high up on my current wish list.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I always thought the idea with the i5 (I have three) was that it's a '57 that had spent some time at the gym.

Anybody else... ever get that impression?
Attached Thumbnails
Mic discussion: Audix-muscle-mics.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I may very well be mistaken, but I remember reading somewhere that Haun made some of Audix' capsules. Anyone know if that's true? Seems odd that such a high-end capsule would be in such affordable mics, but Audix has a pretty good price-to-performance reputation.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson ➑️
I always thought the idea with the i5 (I have three) was that it's a '57 that had spent some time at the gym.

Anybody else... ever get that impression?
It does look a bit jacked, now that you mention it.

Do mic manufacturers design their form-factors to suggest or reinforce the kind of sound the mic has? Or is supposed to have?

Do shiny mics have more highs? Are thicker mics "beefier"? Do lollipop mics really sound more 'open'?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I really like the D2's on the bottom side of toms, their convenient form factor and clips allows one to do this comfortably.
The D6 is great on kick when you need transient / presence area to be prevalent, otherwise like another user said above, it'll pair nicely with another microphone in a complimentary position.

I did make a post about a week or so ago on Audix, because they have just released some new fixed charge (electret) LDC microphones, buit it seems not many people have had the chance to try these out :

https://audixusa.com/products/a131/
https://audixusa.com/products/a133/
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee ➑️
I really like the D2's on the bottom side of toms, their convenient form factor and clips allows one to do this comfortably.
The D6 is great on kick when you need transient / presence area to be prevalent, otherwise like another user said above, it'll pair nicely with another microphone in a complimentary position.

I did make a post about a week or so ago on Audix, because they have just released some new fixed charge (electret) LDC microphones, buit it seems not many people have had the chance to try these out :

https://audixusa.com/products/a131/
https://audixusa.com/products/a133/

I was looking at those myself.

Sound on Sound had a very positive review of them
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound ➑️
I had a few D2s for a while and they are alright on toms, but they're gone now and I don't miss them. My friend who is a FOH guy prefers the D2 to the EV N/D468s on toms.
I've owned a D2 for ~25 years or so, and I think I used it on toms once.

But I've used it on electric guitar amps dozens of times.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross ➑️
I've owned a D2 for ~25 years or so, and I think I used it on toms once.

But I've used it on electric guitar amps dozens of times.
I can't remember if I ever used them on guitar, but I must have. I usually use dynamics on guitar.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I personally have not been a fan of any of the Audix condensers. They are inoffensive but they don't do anything I can't do better with something else in a similar price point.

However, some of the dynamic mikes are great. The OM6 is totally underrated.

Once I wound up working a folk festival where our stage was given three Audix drum mike kits and one SM-58 as our complete mike selection. The D2 didn't impress me much but I wound up using the D4 for all kinds of stuff from clarinet to uillian pipes.
--scott
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kludgeaudio ➑️
I personally have not been a fan of any of the Audix condensers. They are inoffensive but they don't do anything I can't do better with something else in a similar price point.

Once I wound up working a folk festival where our stage was given three Audix drum mike kits and one SM-58 as our complete mike selection. The D2 didn't impress me much but I wound up using the D4 for all kinds of stuff from clarinet to uillian pipes.
--scott
Slightly off topic but how did you mic the uileann pipes? I've never done that.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The i5 is still my current top snare mic. Brighter than a 57 so I don't have to EQ as much. I don't care for it on live vocals at all but for snare, it is very good.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastis ➑️
Slightly off topic but how did you mic the uileann pipes? I've never done that.
Oh, they are great fun. My favorite method is with an MD441 on a stand at about navel height, pointing at the chanter and from a foot or so away and slightly below so that the mike is pointed upwards a bit. There is a lot of leakage of course since it's not a very loud instrument, but I'll pull back even farther if I can risk the leakage. At a folk festival I'm not willing to risk it so much.

If you don't have an MD441, use the tightest mike you've got that doesn't have honky upper midrange. EV N/D 468 works nicely in a pinch. The stagehand kids always freak out when I tell them we're going to mike the bagpipes because they aren't loud enough.

This goes for both PA and recording although with recording you don't have to move the thing around to get the monitor into the null and you can usually live with a whole lot more leakage for recording.
--scott
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kludgeaudio ➑️

--scott
That's interesting that you specifically like the OM6 and D4 because from the frequency response charts they seem to be the same capsule. Interestingly, the OM6 seems to have both a tighter and better behaved polar pattern, so I would pick it over the D4 even for instruments, even though it wouldn't be my choice for instruments overall. The M88 and M201 would be my go-to, and, I have to say it, the 57 does just the trick on a lot of stuff.
πŸ“ Reply