The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Avalon 2044 Compressor
Old 2nd November 2002
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Avalon 2044 Compressor

Anyone have opinions on the Avalon 2044 opto compressor?
Old 2nd November 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Like anything, it works well on somethings and it sucks on others. It works well on vocals(bck grounds especially),bass and some kicks. I wouldn't use it on anything else(its an opto which tends to darken what ever you put through it). I didn't think it worked great on the stereo buss either.

It does look cool in the rack though!!!

Definitely an eye catcher!!!yuktyy
Old 3rd November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The 2044 is a staple compressor on my background vocal chain when I'm not mixing entirely in pro tools.
Old 3rd November 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Hey E-cue,

Me too. Even though i sold mines a couple of months back. Since then I've been doing either a pair of Amek CIB's, VT737's, the Buzz Audio OCL 1.1, or nothing.

I have been chomping at the bit to try that new CraneSong IBIS EQ on bck grounds though. I went through my end of the year budget and their might be a Cranesong EQ in my Christmas stocking this year. That's if I've been a good boy!!!!
Old 3rd November 2002
member no 666

🎧 15 years
A friend of mine that mixes a lot of 'P-Diddy's stuff uses it on the 2 buss almost exclusively... as for me, I like it in a lot of applications... though I'm kinda partial to the 1969 for 2 buss... after all it was made for me for that purpose... I guess it really does nail my tastes on the head in that application... go figure.
Old 3rd November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Dang it Fletch... I tried renting one of the Drawmer's about a week ago, but the studio manager couldn't find the "Merch" edition... We got a 670, but I really wanted the 1969's seprate attack and release times. It's not my stereo bus goto like it is with you, but sometimes it's just perfect for what I'm going for.
Old 3rd November 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
A friend of mine that mixes a lot of 'P-Diddy's stuff uses it on the 2 buss almost exclusively... as for me, I like it in a lot of applications... though I'm kinda partial to the 1969 for 2 buss... after all it was made for me for that purpose... I guess it really does nail my tastes on the head in that application... go figure.
It just didn't do it for me on the 2 buss(and I tried it a bunch of times). It just brought up the low mids to much. My 2 buss of choice these days is a modified Focusrite Blue 230(I can make it sound like anything, for all material). With a switch out, its a Blue 230 with a transformer in the input (great for pop,rnb,dance anything that needs a bassier/thicker sound). With a switch in, its a Focusrite Red 3 with no transformer in the input(works great for "modern/neo" rock and alt. music. Flashy/thinner but not as thick). I tried your 1969 Fletch and I just didn't have enough time to make it work. I did love it as an alternative for one of my mixdown vocal comps. I'll bring one in again and this time I'll put it fully through its paces.
Old 3rd November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's all about the "big" switch.

Thrill, you did have the Merch Edition right?
Old 3rd November 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
It's all about the "big" switch.

Thrill, you did have the Merch Edition right?
Hey E-cue,

I thought the Drawmer 1969 was the Mercenary Edition. Maybe its not?
Old 3rd November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This would explain why the studio manager couldn't find it... What I meant was, oh nevermind... Yes. I meant the 1969 vs the 1960.
Old 3rd November 2002
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor

Hey E-cue,

I thought the Drawmer 1969 was the Mercenary Edition. Maybe its not?
It is. the 1960 was the original Drawmer piece that Fletcher disliked so much.
Old 3rd November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re:1960, Was it about disliking it, or hearing it's potential?
Otherwise, why build on it?
Old 3rd November 2002
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Yeah,

Was the cup half-full or erm... half-empty?
Old 4th November 2002
member no 666

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Renie
Re:1960, Was it about disliking it, or hearing it's potential?
Otherwise, why build on it?
It was about hating the ****ing thing. We totally gutted it [except for the DI, the meters, the chassis and the power transformer] for the 1969. As far as I'm concerned, the 1960 is beyond salvage. YMMV.
Old 4th November 2002
Gear Addict

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
back to avalon 2044...it's not my compressor for 2-buss. but i had used it on vocal, bg vocal, clean or chorused eg and keys with success. it's a nice piece.
Old 4th March 2005
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I've used the '69 on the mix buss for most of my mixes since I bought it in 2001. I did a few mixes recently without it just to "shake things up." The mixes don't sound nearly as good and 'm back to the '69. It's also a useful tracking piece.

And yes e-cue---it's all about the big switch!
Old 4th March 2005
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
No... Fletch is right... the 1960 is a piece of ****.
Old 5th March 2005
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
My .02 on the 2044. I have had mine for about three years and love it. I initially auditioned it as a 2 buss compressor, as that was what I was searching for at the time. It did not work for me at all in that application. I found it to be too smooth. I was looking for a 2 buss comp to give me a bit more punch and aggression. However, that smoothness sounded great on vocals. With the slower attack set up at about 12 o'clock or so, it is fabulous. It's great to daisy chain the two channels for a bit more control. I use this method all the time when tracking directly to PT. I don't generally find it necessary to daisy chain when tracking to tape. The unit also sounds great on bass. As a stereo unit on drum overheads or room mics, provided you are not looking for that crushing compression sound, it will do a nice transparent job for about 2-5db of reduction if the attack time is set again to be relatively slow.
πŸ“ Reply