The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sennheiser HD 25 in 2021
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Sennheiser HD 25 in 2021

Hello,

After years of use I am planning to replace my HD 25 II headphones because they are broken.
What i love about my headphones is:
- Great Durability (I abused mine for decades)
- Small and Light (I carry them everyday with me in the backpack)
- Good SPL (I can drive them from my iPhone easily)
I am used to the sound but it is not great, I do recording, sound design and mixing on the go with them.
I could buy the HD 25 Plus (basically the same model as mine they just changed the name) again and go with them for another 15 years but I want to look around for other options.

Do you have any advice?

I have a pair of DT880 pro for the studio (so I am covered on the HiFi option), I need something reliable with good sound, sturdy and not big. Consider the fact that while sound is important is not the only factor in this case.

Thanks.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I searched few options and this are the possibilities in my opinion.
  • Sennheiser HD 25 Plus - 189€ - 140g
  • Yamaha HPH-MT8 - 175€ - 350g - Heavy
  • Focal Listen Professional - 219€ - 280g - Very ugly
  • Neumann NDH 20 - 475€ - 388g - Heavy and Pricey
  • Audio-Technica ATH-M70 X - 249€ - 280g - Not much infos about them
  • Audix A150 - Good reviews but no info on weight and not available in europe

Any additional input about them?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you like umm... tolerate on-ear phones, the Beyer DT 240 Pro is a good option. Light and slightly more linear than the HD25. Here's the sonarworks review.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoBastardo ➑️
If you like umm... tolerate on-ear phones, the Beyer DT 240 Pro is a good option. Light and slightly more linear than the HD25. Here's the sonarworks review.
On-ear are painful after a while, but sometimes I wear my HD25 for 8 hours (I wear glasses as well) and I can tolerate them.
The review is good but being in a completely different price range (66€) compared to the other models I am considering, I am dubious about build quality, transient response and distortion.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I found some reviews about the Audio-Technica ATH-M70 X, the biggest complaint they get is that they are boring.
While I see this as a problem if you are a standard listener if you are an audio engineer this could be a good thing.
Any input on this?
Bests.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I Love the hd25. They sound great and I like that they clearly show the highbass range which can be very tricky to get right in the mix.

Get another pair!
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
have been using the hd-25's for decades and intend using them for another few decades, except that...

I HATE USING HEADPHONES

...in general and use them just very occasionally for max. a few minutes! - that said, i've been using another classic model (beyer dt-150) for decades as well; both pairs are getting powered by either the spl phonitor mini or the grace m9xx; it's the crossfeed matrix which makes the difference!
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebbo ➑️
Hello,

After years of use I am planning to replace my HD 25 II headphones because they are broken.
What i love about my headphones is:
- Great Durability (I abused mine for decades)
- Small and Light (I carry them everyday with me in the backpack)
- Good SPL (I can drive them from my iPhone easily)
I am used to the sound but it is not great, I do recording, sound design and mixing on the go with them.
I could buy the HD 25 Plus (basically the same model as mine they just changed the name) again and go with them for another 15 years but I want to look around for other options.

Do you have any advice?

I have a pair of DT880 pro for the studio (so I am covered on the HiFi option), I need something reliable with good sound, sturdy and not big. Consider the fact that while sound is important is not the only factor in this case.

Thanks.
Hi, the Plus is not the same. Well it's the same headphone but it comes with extra cables and goodies and costs more. The "Basic" model is what the regular HD 25 II is called lately.

Interestingly they changed the Light model (used to have different/worse drivers) to use the regular HD 25 drivers and supposedly now the only difference is the Light model keeps the single headband.

Couple of special editions. 75th anniversary has yellow pads and a special box. There's a new version out with blue pads, I have not seen the box and I don't see that there is a special name for it.

I'm a fan of these since they're completely rebuildable and there's a healthy if reasonably small aftermarket of pads, cables etc.

Jason at customcans.co.uk specializes in these and said somewhere that it looks like the 2021 models are now coming with copper cables instead of the steel ones until now. I've reterminated the steel cables, they're hair thin and hard to solder. Haven't chopped up any of my new cables yet but I eventually reterminate everything to a normal 1/4 inch plug since I hate the 3.5mm ones.

Found a pic of the box for the edition of the HD 25 with the blue pads. It is also being sold as a 75th anniversary edition but the box is different from the box for the yellows. The yellows come in a box with kind of a retro theme. The blues come in a box that's closer to recent packaging but has 75th anniversary branding. These guys really know how to make hay while the sun shines :D

Last edited by mexicanradio; 3 days ago at 10:30 PM.. Reason: info on blue edition
πŸ“ Reply