The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Shure SM7B with MKIII Gap Pre-73 Upgrade
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Shure SM7B with MKIII Gap Pre-73 Upgrade

I'm using a Shure SM7B with an MKIII Gap Pre-73 and a Focusrite Scarlett 3rd gen (USB -> computer) to exclusively record myself talking into the microphone and it sounds great, but there could be slightly less noise. I've already got a quiet room and the cables aren't collecting interference.

While browsing these forums I've heard people say most modern preamps have extremely low noise. In the Gap 73 guide included with the pre amp it says "There are some great IC's available today that achieves very low levels of static and dynamic distortion. The simple circuits that the PRE-73 uses, and even more so the transformers, cannot match the low distortion specifications of modern IC's.

My main question is are there any pre-amps I could buy as a replacement that would help to isolate my voice even better and cut out everything that's not my voice? Ideally something with a lot of gain.

I am very new to this world so I am grateful for any suggestions/advice!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImShure ➡️
My main question is are there any pre-amps I could buy as a replacement that would help to isolate my voice even better and cut out everything that's not my voice? Ideally something with a lot of gain.
Can you specify what you mean by “everything that's not my voice”? Is your mic picking up too much of your computer’s fan? Too much reverberation from your room/space? Street noise? Are you hearing low-level white noise/interference?

A mic preamp boosts a mic-level signal to a line-level signal. What a pre does not and cannot do it magically “isolate” your voice. It takes what the mic hears and boosts it, nothing mire, nothing less.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Not sure, perhaps outside noise but it's minimal, and my computer is in another room so I can't hear that. I have a good quiet setup, it's really not picking up too much and I'm very happy with it overall, I just want to test other pre amps and compare.

What I'm looking for are the "IC's available today that achieve very low levels of static and dynamic distortion" that are mentioned in the GAP 73 insert.
📝 Reply