The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Multiple digital to digital converter?
Old 11th April 2021
Gear Head

Multiple digital to digital converter?

I must connect some devices having consumer SPDIF digital out to my console equipped with pro AES3 in. So I need such multiple digital to digital converter having at least 4 SPDIF in (coaxial and optical) and 4 AES3 out. Not sure if such product is available in the market. Any recomandation please? Thank you.
Old 11th April 2021
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
tc elctronic digital konnekt x32 - can be found for not that much money these days...
Old 11th April 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
https://www.ranecommercial.com/legacy/note149.html

This article is super helpful in making an inexpensive one yourself!! Scroll down the page for diagrams for each conversion type.

Just make sure to read and understand the paragraph titled “conversion caution”. With modern equipment, this is rarely an issue but while the pcm data is identically represented, parts of the data stream are not. This can cause problems but with modern chipsets, a simple electrical conversion usually works.

-B
Old 11th April 2021
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Thank you so much for your advices. I do not build electronics on myself from many years.... nice remembers from the 80s. I believe this device by TC Electrnoics would be very useful for me, but browsing the web it seems discontinued I'm afraid. Do you know where I can find one new? I do not want used gears. Thanks.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
i doubt you'll find one new...

(i got almost all of my gear used and fared very well)
Gear Head

Any other device having similar specs? Thanks.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee4303 ➡️
Those are awesome products. I’ve used several zsys products and they are all great. Not cheap.
Gear Head

Yes I saw those devices. And, as you said, they are not cheap! Also, the only device that I could consider is an 8x8 "router" but it is maybe too big for me and no firewire in it (compared to TC Electronic). Not sure that actual market offers real alternatives to TC Electronic.... bad luck.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdaugherty ➡️
Those are awesome products. I’ve used several zsys products and they are all great. Not cheap.
I have an Optipatch Plus, which functions flawlessly. I'm looking at an 8.8A now, and have noticed that prices on EBay offer significant savings.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superpiano ➡️
Yes I saw those devices. And, as you said, they are not cheap! Also, the only device that I could consider is an 8x8 "router" but it is maybe too big for me and no firewire in it (compared to TC Electronic). Not sure that actual market offers real alternatives to TC Electronic.... bad luck.
Wait... why do you need FireWire for anything? I thought we were just looking for multichannel s/pdif to aes3... if I needed to do that, I wouldn’t want any additional features! The ability to matrix route like the zsys is fine because it is just like adding an aes patchbay in front of the conversion, but anything more seems like you are starting to describe an actual audio interface that routes sound in and out of a computer. Otherwise, why have FireWire or any other computer interface that can be deprecated at any time when you don’t need it?!

-B

P.S. the zsys market in eBay is indeed crazy! I’m almost inclined to buy even though it would be a minimal benefit just because they are so cheap!!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Ran into this the other day looking at ADAT AD/DC converters. No experience with it, so YMMV, but not expensive at all:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alesis-ADAT...IAAOSwKW5esX8Y
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Not sure if it meets your criteria but the Hosa ODL-312 is what I use for optical to AES. They have an RCA spdif one too with a different model number, I believe, but I haven't looked in a while.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

8 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Neutrik NADITBNC-MX is usually all you need. In any case, SPDIF devices usually aren't capable of slaving to word clock, so you'll have to use asynchronous sampling rate conversion on your console or (if it doesn't have this feature) get a suitable converter capable of SRC.
📝 Reply