The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for a Versatile Mic
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I'm glad I'm on this journey for a new flat mic.

I'm mixing a track for myself right now and I'm hitting the biggest issue with naturally bright mics ie: the "Chinese presence boost".

Saturation and compression becomes frustratingly difficult.

I use Klanghelm SDRR and MJUC/DC8C for compression and mix buss work.

If I want to put even the slightest amount of brightness or colour from saturation/compression on the track or the mix buss it becomes such pain in the rear end to deal with.

It becomes bright and harsh instantly. It becomes unmanageable. I've tried EQing out the brightness so I can use other effects but it doesn't really work. My only other option is slamming the track with dessers and it doesn't sound great either.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxtrinc ➡️
I'm glad I'm on this journey for a new flat mic.

I'm mixing a track for myself right now and I'm hitting the biggest issue with naturally bright mics ie: the "Chinese presence boost".

Saturation and compression becomes frustratingly difficult.

I use Klanghelm SDRR and MJUC/DC8C for compression and mix buss work.

If I want to put even the slightest amount of brightness or colour from saturation/compression on the track or the mix buss it becomes such pain in the rear end to deal with.

It becomes bright and harsh instantly. It becomes unmanageable. I've tried EQing out the brightness so I can use other effects but it doesn't really work. My only other option is slamming the track with dessers and it doesn't sound great either.
Get a low noise, neutral, non topend boosted mic, like the KSM32.

If you’re tracking vocals, and they’re still too sibilant position the mic at 30 or 45 degrees angle and see if that helps.

Pronounce the “S” softer when you singing, that helps immensely and also automate the “s” in your DAW..
you can then de ess a little bit to make things more uniform.

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Austrian Audio OC818. Really great versatile sound and quality especially in its price range. Good luck!!
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred ➡️
Austrian Audio OC818. Really great versatile sound and quality especially in its price range. Good luck!!
Wow. Mic meets DSP..
"Record to your DAW using both outputs of the OC818 enables the use of the PolarDesigner™ DAW-Plugin in post production.
Craft different polar pattern responses across 1 to 5
crossover bands. Phase Linear and Synch-Channel.
Use Terminator Ai for eliminating or rescuing selcted frequencies and instruments. "

Don't know if I need this, maybe just that Slutz thing calling..
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann ➡️
Yeah, other than the dude who mentioned it in Post 21, you're right - no-one has mentioned it.
Um... Jesus, dude. I think your post actually posted while I was typing my post. Please forgive my not anticipating your similar thoughts.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Will depend on your voice. Try some out. RE20 works well with mine but I wouldn't call it versatile.

The first "real" mic I got a long time ago in a basement far far away was an Audio Technica AT4033. Surprisingly versatile and was only around $300 I think. Sounded good on almost anything I threw at it (from singers to rappers to guitar). Definitely worth a try at the price point.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradivus ➡️
Will depend on your voice. Try some out. RE20 works well with mine but I wouldn't call it versatile.

The first "real" mic I got a long time ago in a basement far far away was an Audio Technica AT4033. Surprisingly versatile and was only around $300 I think. Sounded good on almost anything I threw at it (from singers to rappers to guitar). Definitely worth a try at the price point.
These are both mics I like a lot! 4033 was also my first "good mic" and I still have uses for it even though I've gotten much "nicer" stuff since. It's a really solid little dude.

An RE20 is just really damn useful for so many things. Ditto Beyer M88. Top quality for reasonable money.
📝 Reply