The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SDC For Acoustic Guitar (013, mkh40, mc930)
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
SDC For Acoustic Guitar (013, mkh40, mc930)

Hey all - looking for an SDC for acoustic guitar. I’ve been using ribbons for years but want to capture a little less room and more pick attack. I’m looking at a few different options - soyuz 013 fet, senn mkh40, and beyer mc930. Would love a km84 but can’t afford it. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Al Rogers's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Microtech Gefell M300 is an excellent guitar microphone. If you're on a tight budget I'd recommend the Shure SM81.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Rogers ➡️
Microtech Gefell M300 is an excellent guitar microphone. If you're on a tight budget I'd recommend the Shure SM81.
$800 is right about at the top of what I'd want to spend. Thanks for the suggestion! Going to check it out
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
https://advancedaudio.ca/collections.../products/cm28

Perhaps a Line audio CM4
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #5
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum ➡️
That looks lovely
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6
Gear Maniac
 
Or perhaps a Telefunken M 60
The Beyer's are fine mics. Anyone of them should be fine tone wise. I've used Beyer's they are smooth and lovely. The FET ones will pick up more dynamics so it depends on what you want.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #7
Here for the gear
 
+1 on the beyers
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Al Rogers's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsyo ➡️
$800 is right about at the top of what I'd want to spend. Thanks for the suggestion! Going to check it out
You're welcome. For what it's worth I've used KM84s and the M300 has a bit of the old Neumann microphone vibe in it's sound.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 
+1 on the Line Audio's...
Well, +2 actually, since I bought a pair!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #10
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdornothin ➡️
Or perhaps a Telefunken M 60
The Beyer's are fine mics. Anyone of them should be fine tone wise. I've used Beyer's they are smooth and lovely. The FET ones will pick up more dynamics so it depends on what you want.
Very good to know. Thanks for the info!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #11
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyB ➡️
+1 on the Line Audio's...
Well, +2 actually, since I bought a pair!
These seem so intriguing. Have you compared them with other SDC’s? How do they stack up?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Not compared them with others (yet) ... extensive reading around, videos, etc. suggested they would be excellent value as starting-out tools that could retain their usefulness even if I expand my options. I similarly bought a pair of OC818's as LDCs, their polar patterns software very educational.
Lots to learn, but impressive initially, recording good sounds of guitars and mando's. And less good sounds too ... due to my technique, not the microphones! Learning a lot about where to point them, single v's paired, etc ... basic studio stuff, but quite different from SM57s and the like for PA use I did pre-Covid. A pair of omni OM1's could be good too for expanding possibilities...
Old 4 weeks ago
  #13
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
KM184. Sounds like a KM84 for less money.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #14
Gear Head
 
I have a Beyer MC930 pair, of all similar priced SDC's I tried these were the best. They have quite beefy sound and they don't have the upper mid/treble lift that most SDC's have. Often times this is an advantage and they take high shelf lift very gracefully. However they're not the best option for recording very dark sounding guitar, or with a preamp that soften transients and/or lacks detail. Because of their beefy sound and good off-axis response, they work quite well at distance also, the tone doesn't get wimpy as with many other SDC's. Whether or not you can take advantage of this, of course, depends on the room you're recording in. The noise specs are decent but not exceptionally good, so they're not the best choice for recoding very quiet sources at distance, although for similar price I don't know of a better alternative.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #15
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMus ➡️
I have a Beyer MC930 pair, of all similar priced SDC's I tried these were the best. They have quite beefy sound and they don't have the upper mid/treble lift that most SDC's have. Often times this is an advantage and they take high shelf lift very gracefully. However they're not the best option for recording very dark sounding guitar, or with a preamp that soften transients and/or lacks detail. Because of their beefy sound and good off-axis response, they work quite well at distance also, the tone doesn't get wimpy as with many other SDC's. Whether or not you can take advantage of this, of course, depends on the room you're recording in. The noise specs are decent but not exceptionally good, so they're not the best choice for recoding very quiet sources at distance, although for similar price I don't know of a better alternative.
Really appreciate the info!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #16
Lives for gear
 
tymish's Avatar
 
The venerable Oktava mk012 is no slouch particularly for the price.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #17
Gear Head
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymish ➡️
The venerable Oktava mk012 is no slouch particularly for the price.
I would agree they're decent for the price, but based on my experience they definitely aren't in the same class with Beyer MC930 or Neumann KM184. So not a serious option for the OP, in my opinion of course.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #18
Gear Nut
I've got a pair of Senn MKH40 cardioids. They are really nice for steel string acoustic guitar; flat response and realistic recordings. I got mine used, but not very old and in great condition, for $600 each.

I've also got a pair of 3-Zigma CHI hybrid mics with cardioid capsules and transformerless head amps (made by ADK). These are a great value, sold directly by ADK for $347 each.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Progger's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I'm consistently impressed with Beyer mics, and all the MC930s I've heard in practice sounded lovely. I don't own any myself but would strongly consider them if I needed an SDC or two.

However, particularly on acoustic guitar, the Soyuz 013 (both tube and FET) sound gorgeous. The FETs in particular are very fairly priced for their quality (like the Beyers) and would be well worth an audition, if you can get your hands on one.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #20
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger ➡️
I'm consistently impressed with Beyer mics, and all the MC930s I've heard in practice sounded lovely. I don't own any myself but would strongly consider them if I needed an SDC or two.

However, particularly on acoustic guitar, the Soyuz 013 (both tube and FET) sound gorgeous. The FETs in particular are very fairly priced for their quality (like the Beyers) and would be well worth an audition, if you can get your hands on one.
I ended up going for the 013 fet. I really liked how it seemed to have a more neutral top end. Should be here soon. Thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #21
Gear Head
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsyo ➡️
I ended up going for the 013 fet. I really liked how it seemed to have a more neutral top end. Should be here soon. Thanks!
Please post your impressions when you get it, I'm curious.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #22
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMus ➡️
Please post your impressions when you get it, I'm curious.
absolutely will do!
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
  #23
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMus ➡️
Please post your impressions when you get it, I'm curious.
I’ve been tracking acoustic and tiple all week long with the soyuz paired with an aea r84. The soyuz is lovely. Has a surprising amount of low end but it is perfectly tuned. I can definitely get away without using the r84 and have plenty of body and oomph. But the r84 provides some warmth so it’s nice to blend in. Extremely happy with the 013
Old 3 days ago
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Progger's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Seems like the Soyuz is the SDC to beat! I don't think I've heard a single bad thing about them. Lots of excellent options out there these days.
Old 3 days ago
  #25
Lives for gear
 
liv4ree's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Check out the Lewitt LCT 140 air. 149.99
Old 3 days ago
  #26
Lives for gear
 
noah330's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I really like the Earthworks QTC. I don't think many people on here use Earthworks mics but I really like them for certain things, AG being one of them.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
  #27
Gear Head
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsyo ➡️
I’ve been tracking acoustic and tiple all week long with the soyuz paired with an aea r84. The soyuz is lovely. Has a surprising amount of low end but it is perfectly tuned. I can definitely get away without using the r84 and have plenty of body and oomph. But the r84 provides some warmth so it’s nice to blend in. Extremely happy with the 013
Sweet. Do you have experience with other more common SDC's you could compare them to?
Old 2 days ago
  #28
Gear Nut
 
tonejunkee's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
The Line Audio CM4 is the only SDC I own currently and replaced the CM3 I used for years. Used in tandem with my Roswell Audio miniK87(LDC) on acoustic gtr. Both are nearly ruler flat
Old 2 days ago
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Shannon Adkins's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Don't sleep on the sE8.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
  #30
Lives for gear
 
MandoBastardo's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Adkins ➡️
Don't sleep on the sE8.
Sure... but still beats sleeping on the floor. Until you turnover in the night and discover you've got a serious case of 'oids.

📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 5775 views: 1859828
Avatar for crestifer
crestifer 5 days ago
replies: 72 views: 12186
Avatar for chetatkinsdiet
chetatkinsdiet 4th September 2007
replies: 1166 views: 258262
Avatar for Jimbo99
Jimbo99 1 week ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump