The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
BAE DMP 1073 Query
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
BAE DMP 1073 Query

Hi folks

I've just got myself a BAE DMP 1073 Mic pre and I have to say it's a nice bit of kit. But i've run into a weird thing while tracking some distorted bass guitar.

So it has 2 DI thru outputs as i'm sure most of you know!
I'm running one of these through a distortion pedal into the amp and micing the cab. Mic is then going back to the DMP's mic input and out of that to the interface.

I was expecting to get just the distorted bass signal to the DAW but i'm getting a clean tone with the distortion buried in the background.

Has anyone ever noticed this?

I've tried it a few different ways and it seems to happen when using the DI and Mic pre together. It's fine for clean bass. But not for distortion.

If I just use the mic section and record distorted bass it's fine.
If I just use the DI section, so thru output to distortion pedal and the cab mic going directly to the interface rather than going back through the DMP mic pre it's fine too.

I'm not sure what i'm missing here. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Cheers

Joe
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
If you don’t want to record any clean DI at all, why are you running your bass into the instrument DI of the DMP in the first place?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate ➡️
If you don’t want to record any clean DI at all, why are you running your bass into the instrument DI of the DMP in the first place?
This was just for a test. The idea is to record a clean di and a distorted mic signal. When I did this I noticed the distorted track wasn't all that distorted I.e not the sound coming from the cab. The distortion was way in the background.
I'm wondering if this unit is meant to be used in this way.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
That’s probably because you’re trying to record two inputs (instrument DI and mic input) simultaneously on a 1-channel unit. If you want to record both use a DI box and send it to another preamp or get the stereo version of the DMP.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate ➡️
That’s probably because you’re trying to record two inputs (instrument DI and mic input) simultaneously on a 1-channel unit. If you want to record both use a DI box and send it to another preamp or get the stereo version of the DMP.
Yea I think your right. More experimenting tmw so! I didn't know there was a stereo version, must check it out. Thanks for the reply.
📝 Reply