The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
****ty Reference Speakers (iPhone/MBP like)
Old 10th April 2021
****ty Reference Speakers (iPhone/MBP like)

Hello fellow slutz,

I have a very stupid question. Can anyone recommend ****ty speakers that make for a similar comparison as if listening on an iPhone?

I could use an EQ on the listening bus, but due to the speakers still standing on the same positions, the room would colour in a similar way so that it wouldn't be that refreshing to check back the mix this way. Also I want to make adjustments directly, so exporting and listening back on my iPhone is also too complicated.

Reason is that I just realised that the customers are checking my mixes (score, longer ads, slowly evolving) on their iPhones while on their way into the meeting and 95% of my work will remain unheard, so I want to set a bigger focus on the 5% that matter lol.
Old 10th April 2021
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Use something like AudioMovers and stream your audio directly to your phone from your DAW.
Old 10th April 2021 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate ➡️
Use something like AudioMovers and stream your audio directly to your phone from your DAW.
Thats a great idea, but I am no fan of these kind of paying models. I will tryout anyways, but is there an alternative product for this task that you can buy and own?
Old 10th April 2021
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I’m not either, but it is a fantastic product that has been indispensable to me during these times and more than pays for itself from the sheer amount of remote editing and mixing sessions it has allowed me to do.
Old 4 weeks ago
Thread One. Thread Two. Thread Three. There are probably more.

A plugin. Another plugin. A third plugin. There are probably more.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by curry36 ➡️
]I could use an EQ on the listening bus, but due to the speakers still standing on the same positions, the room would colour in a similar way so that it wouldn't be that refreshing to check back the mix this way. Also I want to make adjustments directly,
isn't this inherently a contradiction, though? You would still be "in your room" even if you are holding your 'speakers' in your hand.

Quote:
so exporting and listening back on my iPhone is also too complicated.
Too complicated to email an mp3 to yourself? Then you could walk down a hallway, exactly emulating your client's experience!

In any case, you make it sound like you want to be actually 'mixing' on these speakers, when assuming all else is in order, I would only want to be checking on such speakers a few times towards the end. If a lot of back and forth is required, that might indicate a different level of problems.

Quote:
Reason is that I just realised that the customers are checking my mixes (score, longer ads, slowly evolving) on their iPhones while on their way into the meeting and 95% of my work will remain unheard, so I want to set a bigger focus on the 5% that matter lol.
I think your underlying concept is quite sound. And you know your iPhone, which makes it a better reference than "Whatever" s#!tty speaker you might hook up. But I personally would not get too deep into actually 'mixing on' my 'real-world reference' speakers.

Quote:
Thats a great idea, but I am no fan of these kind of paying models. I will tryout anyways, but is there an alternative product for this task that you can buy and own?
For me, Audiomovers pays for itself and then some. It's not just about streaming high quality audio to literally anybody via the browser, there are also send and receive modules that act as plugins, which allow you to go DAW to DAW for remote collaboration, even remote overdubbing and so on.
Old 4 weeks ago
Thanks for your reply @ joeq . Maybe my point was a bit confusing, of course I don't want to do my entire mix on those speakers. It is as you said, just checking back and forth in the ending phase of a production, especially to check if new parts / climaxes are kicking as they should. I always did it with rendering and uploading the mp3 to the cloud, but it takes so much time to render so that I thought it would be cool to have a instant solution for this problem. I would check back and forth more often then I am doing right now due to the complicated process (over time).
And regarding the room, you are absolutely right, it would still be my room. But the reflections wouldn't be the exact same when those speakers had at least a different position in that room, which is not the case when I use a master EQ but the speakers remain the same. At least at my understanding, maybe I'm wrong - no expert in acoustics.
I will def try ListenTo for a week, it might really be the best solution.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks for your reply @ joeq . Maybe my point was a bit confusing, of course I don't want to do my entire mix on those speakers. It is as you said, just checking back and forth in the ending phase of a production, especially to check if new parts / climaxes are kicking as they should. I always did it with rendering and uploading the mp3 to the cloud, but it takes so much time to render so that I thought it would be cool to have a instant solution for this problem. I would check back and forth more often then I am doing right now due to the complicated process (over time). And regarding the room, you are absolutely right, it would still be my room. But the reflections wouldn't be the exact same when those speakers had at least a different position in that room, which is not the case when I use a master EQ but the speakers remain the same. At least at my understanding, maybe I'm wrong - no expert in acoustics.
I don't consider myself to be an expert either, but it seems clear that if you can pick up your phone and walk out of the room to another room, you are obviously eliminating any and all possible overlap of 'your room'. You are that much closer to an 'independent' reference.

Another possibility is if you have something like Dropbox. You can upload your mixes and then stream them to your phone from the Dropbox website. Dropbox is another one of those things on the list of what: 'every studio should have' and where you might find it well worth the expense -especially if you can use the other functions. Sending large files, cloud backup etc.

You can get a free account on Dropbox which though limited in size, would be big enough to at least hold an album or two's worth of mixes at a time.

Quote:
I will def try ListenTo for a week, it might really be the best solution.
the cost is quite reasonable, IMO, especially if you can take advantage of all the functions of it. Not only the browser-based receiver. If you have anyone that you collaborate with, maybe try to get them to join for the free week the same week as you and experiment with the send/receive plugins inside the DAW.
📝 Reply