The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is a better value than KT-2A at that price?
Old 4 weeks ago
What is a better value than KT-2A at that price?

$300 with a 2 year warrantee through sweetwater is a pretty solid deal for such a unit imo.. but I hear so many people trash the KT and try to compare it to WA-2A even though there's a $400 price difference..

So what opto-tube compressor contests the quality of KT-2A at the $300 price point!?
Old 4 weeks ago
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
If you had the Warm and the KT, would you use them both?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I don't think there is any optical compressor in that range that comes close. . I also believe the KT-2A and the Warm to be in the same league. There are plenty of shootouts to find the differences are subtle, and a matter of preference. The Klark may be substantially cheaper, but I think that is more the result of having Music Tribe's massive manufacturing infrastructure behind it than an actual quality difference. It's a good sounding optical compressor, and one that can give what you feed it through a lot of character in a pleasing way.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The comparison is actually fair, because Behringer’s sprawling manufacturing facilities and capabilities allow them to mass manufacture at such high quantities that they can bring their price that low, since they pay way less to build theirs compared to a tiny company like Warm.

Perhaps you need to adjust your expectations of what you can get for $300 to something more realistic? Or you could look at some plugins...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
If Warm is the only other player in that arena (I don't know -- is it?), the whole time I was handing over my $300 I'd also be thinking about how the price gap will eventually kill off the Warm unit, leaving no other contestants in the game, and giving Behringer no reason not to jack up the price.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Warm and KT are already the "cheap" option.

Once you include the term value, the value is in getting a higher quality unit for more money.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have the GAP comp-2a now priced at $599.

I use it on synths often, though the latest track in my sig uses it for the guitarist in a trio.

I also have 2 x GAP comp-3a linked in stereo. No complaints, so their pres and eq units are on my radar.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They are excellent units, the price is just icing on the cake. FWIW, I've had more comps than I can remember. They're currently next to Manley, Innertube, etc.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

The only problem with the KT-2a is its availability...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

For PCB based, and modern off the shelf iron I wouldn't spend the money on boutique of the same and would go with one of these. All in the same ballpark with slight variances.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Treating your room first and/or more?
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
None, it's a solid comp for $300, but if you want one from SW expect to wait till at least July, that's how long they are taking currently.
Old 3 weeks ago
Appreciate all the responses, thanks so much! I am aware of the backorder (now until july) and am awaiting a call once they're available. My point is that if the only viable comparison is a unit that goes for several hundred dollars more, why do some people trash it? Not to say there's no comparison to be made, but imo that should really say something about the KT if nothing within a few hundred bucks even compares!
I know people tend to lash out at anything but lately I've been seeing bad reviews on this unit and also on GA-3A (not the jr.) I've worked with the original 3a and I think the GA clone is wonderful for a fraction of the cost! (Esp for vox)
I haven't tried the GA-2A yet

I just wanted to know if there were some other vintage unit that seriously compares to the KT for under $400 for the same applications. I'm all but sold on grabbing 2 of these (when I can), as I have been shopping for a 2a clone for the better part of 2 years.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn ➡️
If you had the Warm and the KT, would you use them both?
In all seriousness, yeah most likely!

I highly doubt WA-2A would be more appropriate than KT-2A on every project..
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshProduce ➡️
Appreciate all the responses, thanks so much! I am aware of the backorder (now until july) and am awaiting a call once they're available. My point is that if the only viable comparison is a unit that goes for several hundred dollars more, why do some people trash it? I know people tend to lash out at anything but lately I've been seeing bad reviews on this unit and also on GA-3A (not the jr.) I've worked with the original 3a and I think the GA clone is wonderful for a fraction of the cost! (Esp for vox)

I just wanted to know if there were some other vintage unit that seriously compars to the KT for under $400 for the same applications. I'm all but sold on grabbing 2 of these (when I can), as I have been shopping for a 2a clone for the better part of 2 years.
I have been using a pair here regularly for mixing and tracking for a couple ish years. They sound great, work great and calibrate surprisingly well. No tubes changed no maitnence....
Great deal imo
📝 Reply