The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2021 best value for hardware reverb $500-1000
Old 9th April 2021
  #1
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
2021 best value for hardware reverb $500-1000

Title pretty much says it all.

Would be great to have one set of recommendations for units under $500, and another set for those under $1000.

Any threads I've found with a similar title were a decade old, and lots of new gear has come out since then.

Around the $500 range, there's the Big Sky, Empress Reverb, and OTO Bam. I find it hard to believe that there's not a 5-10 year old unit rack unit from a company like Lexicon or Eventide that doesn't offer more in this price range.

Most of the recommendations I see on rack reverbs are for highly sought after and fetishized units which have that "special something" which has driven up their price, but are 20+ years old, and a bit of a gamble, maintenance-wise, or on the modern side, super high end and cost $2k+ like the Bricasti M7.

Can anyone recommend a decent unit with a variety of quality algorithms? I'm hoping there are some workhorse reverb units from Lexicon or Eventide or a similar company that are 5-10 years old and affordable on the second-hand market.

I'd like this thread to be useful to anybody, but for details on my specific situation, I mostly make electronic music without a computer. Sometimes I record electric or acoustic guitar and vocals, but I'm more interested in instrumental and synth music these days, stuff like Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, and Boards of Canada. I've got a Quadraverb already.
Old 10th April 2021
  #2
Lives for gear
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Eventide Space is a pedal but has line level ins and outs.
Universal Audio Golden Reverberator, not quite out yet.
Lexicon MPX1, pcm 91
Yamaha SPX 2000 about 500 used
Kurzweil Rumour if you can find a used one.
Old 10th April 2021
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Oldone's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Lex M300 but recent awareness has driven the prices back up. I snapped one up for $800. It's over 10 years but competes with an M7 on a few algos. Certainly not feature set. Originally sold for over $3k.
TC M3000 - Over 10 years old as well but full of highly competitive sounds. Also sold for over $3k. I've seen them under $500 in recent months.
TC Reverb 4000 - Over 10 years and I use to see them around $1k but that trend has reversed itself. Still one to track.

All that said, based on you music type, I would just get the Lexicon plugins and call it a day. Around $500.
Old 10th April 2021
  #4
Lives for gear
 
axisdreamer's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Klark Teknik DN780 and a Lexicon PCM60 are the main two that I had for years that worked out great..
Old 10th April 2021
  #5
Gear Maniac
 
I would go for Eventide Space and Meris Mercury 7. The Strymon is good too.
Old 11th April 2021
  #6
Gear Addict
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
PCM81 or PCM91 get my votes. Vintage Yamaha like Pro R3 is killer. Eventide Eclipse if you can find one in that range. An H4000 probably doable too.

Check out vintagedigital.com.au
Old 12th April 2021
  #7
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Less than $500- I have a Strymon Big Sky, it's great.
Less than $1000- I also have a Chase Bliss/Meris CXM 1978 and it is fantastic. It's a stunning sounding reverb. It has a very pristine modern mode, a mode that more or less replicates an old Lexicon, and a lo-fi mode that would be useful for BOC sounds. Room, plate, and hall.
Old 12th April 2021
  #8
Lives for gear
 
iksrazal's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by green diver ➡️
I'd like this thread to be useful to anybody, but for details on my specific situation, I mostly make electronic music without a computer. Sometimes I record electric or acoustic guitar and vocals, but I'm more interested in instrumental and synth music these days, stuff like Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, and Boards of Canada. I've got a Quadraverb already.
Several analog synths like the ARP 2600 and the ems vcs3 have spring reverb and since my workflow is DAW-less I do have a preference for analog spring units.

The Vermona Retroverb is lot of fun imho and is around your price range. It also has an LFO and a low pass filter

I released two tracks with that unit on my YouTube channel ... "There and Back" using the sample and hold over CV, and the latest track in my sig with my wife on vocals.
Old 12th April 2021
  #9
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
If you can get a Lex 300 for that, get it. If not you can probably get a PCM70. I'd skip the PCM80/81/90/91, they're newer but brighter/colder in a way I find hard to counteract.
Old 13th April 2021
  #10
Lives for gear
 
jazzcabbage's Avatar
 
Kurzweil KSP8, the plates, rooms and spaces are really good. Bunch of other classic effects included. Definitely a sleeper. Sort of a poor man’s Bricasti. Had the TC Reverb 4000 along side with the KSP8. Both do realistic rooms and spaces. Sold the 4k. I’d say those two in your price range for realism. For vibey vintage effect, plugins have come a long way. Relab and Valhalla DSP are some names you might check out. Most of the hardware they emulate is no longer serviced and in some cases not even serviceable.
Old 13th April 2021
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Robby in WA's Avatar
SPX 2000
Old 13th April 2021
  #12
Lives for gear
 
phantomcenter's Avatar
my vote is for the Sound Workshop 242a spring. Delicious sounding, and can be had for less than $1k... I was lucky a few years back and got mine off Reverb for just under $400 shipped, its sooo damn lovely.
Old 13th April 2021
  #13
Lives for gear
 
vernier's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I did digital verbs in 80's ..EMT 250, 251, Lexicon 224, etc.

Since then, to my ears ..they're all quite similar.

That said, for digital, I think Brent's PCM 70 suggestion makes sense.
Old 13th April 2021
  #14
Older Lexicons are risky as there is little support or parts. I sold off the PCM 70, 60, 200 and 224. Breath wrong on a PCM 70 and they fail. For under $1k I like the PCM 92 used. For on the cheap I like the MPX1.
Old 13th April 2021
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Oldone's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
green diver, there is a TC4000 on ebay for $1400. That's a bit more than you stated but well worth the price. If I hadn't just got the Bricasti, I would be all over it. It will be gone by sunset.
Old 13th April 2021
  #16
Gear Nut
 
🎧 15 years
I currently have about 30 hardware reverbs including the PCM 60, 70, 80, 90. I’d say Lexicon PCM 90 (or 91) all day.
The pcm 60 is good with 2 sounds (algorithms)
The pcm 70 v.2 has maybe a dozen algorithms of which three or four day in day out reverbs.
By contrast, the 90 is full of reverbs everyone of them usable. The best for that leading man reverb if Axl Rose comes in there’s a preset in there for him!

I’d go with that in a really good digital echo like a Roland SDE 1000 and A reverb with a good short early reflection like a Yamaha anything (spx90).
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #17
Gear Addict
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrleansSteve ➡️
I currently have about 30 hardware reverbs including the PCM 60, 70, 80, 90. I’d say Lexicon PCM 90 (or 91) all day.
The pcm 60 is good with 2 sounds (algorithms)
The pcm 70 v.2 has maybe a dozen algorithms of which three or four day in day out reverbs.
By contrast, the 90 is full of reverbs everyone of them usable. The best for that leading man reverb if Axl Rose comes in there’s a preset in there for him!

I’d go with that in a really good digital echo like a Roland SDE 1000 and A reverb with a good short early reflection like a Yamaha anything (spx90).
I Love my 91! The value of that thing is extraordinary. An 81 and a 91 is a great combo too, as the 81 has the old Concert Hall algo not on the 91 (or 300 if I recall).
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #18
Gear Nut
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmfreeland ➡️
I Love my 91! The value of that thing is extraordinary. An 81 and a 91 is a great combo too, as the 81 has the old Concert Hall algo not on the 91 (or 300 if I recall).
With the introduction of the PCM 80 and PCM 90, both of which came out at the same time. The come on from Lexicon is that they both had 2 chips. And the PCM 80 you got one chip dedicated for reverb and one chip that was into multi fx. With the PCM 90, both chips were reverb oriented.
The other comparison Lexicon made at the time was that the PCM 90 represented 1/2 the digital reverb horsepower of the 300. Which at the time, was quite lofty.

Ditto on the previous comments on the pcm 92, I don’t think of that one as coming in at under a grand even secondhand. I can only imagine it’s a for the refinement, if you’re going for real reverb sounds… Refinement is always good.
Klark Technick 780, the best short dense sounds.
Eventide 2016 or the ‘verbs in the big peddle format are great too.
Lots of choices.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #19
Gear Addict
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrleansSteve ➡️
With the introduction of the PCM 80 and PCM 90, both of which came out at the same time. The come on from Lexicon is that they both had 2 chips. And the PCM 80 you got one chip dedicated for reverb and one chip that was into multi fx. With the PCM 90, both chips were reverb oriented.
The other comparison Lexicon made at the time was that the PCM 90 represented 1/2 the digital reverb horsepower of the 300. Which at the time, was quite lofty.

Ditto on the previous comments on the pcm 92, I don’t think of that one as coming in at under a grand even secondhand. I can only imagine it’s a for the refinement, if you’re going for real reverb sounds… Refinement is always good.
Klark Technick 780, the best short dense sounds.
Eventide 2016 or the ‘verbs in the big peddle format are great too.
Lots of choices.
Yep! I believe it was dual Lexichips for the 90/91 and one Lexichip coupled with a traditional DSP chip for the 80/81. They're the last of the LSI line, and someday they'll be expensive again.

List on these at the time was 2,000GBP+ each, and they're 24-bit converters with a ton of time and resources invested in both the algorithms and the presets. I've likely paid as much for a pedal as I paid for one of these, and there's no shot I will sell these down the line.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 156 views: 43269
Avatar for buckan
buckan 20th September 2020
replies: 2 views: 1575
Avatar for The Alamo
The Alamo 19th May 2006
replies: 7 views: 1780
Avatar for theblotted
theblotted 17th July 2007
replies: 1369 views: 142421
Avatar for YashN
YashN 3 weeks ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump