The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apollo Solo vs. Twin
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Apollo Solo vs. Twin

So I’m looking for an audio interface with great sound quality. If my understanding is correct, you would want the Twin over the Solo if you were really into UAD plug-ins, because it can handle more of them.

If I’m not planning on getting too into UAD plug-ins, however, then I’m wondering if I should go for the Solo. I use Logic and if I’m understanding correctly, native non-UAD plug-ins such as my stock Logic plug-ins would continue to just use your computers CPU like normal.

I’m assuming the sound quality is basically the same, and that the difference between the two in terms of processing is just in regards to UAD DSP, and that they would handle non-uad plug-ins the same.

Am I getting all this correctly? Please tell me if I’m misinformed, lol.

Thanks everyone!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
You are correct!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
You are correct, but you will wish you had the Duo. For example, let’s say you want to track your vocal with the Helios preamp in unison and have the Capitol Chambers reverb going in your headphones. This is a beautiful thing, but you won’t be able to do it with the Solo due to DSP limitations. The Duo is more expensive, but totally worth it.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegentry ➡️
You are correct, but you will wish you had the Duo. For example, let’s say you want to track your vocal with the Helios preamp in unison and have the Capitol Chambers reverb going in your headphones. This is a beautiful thing, but you won’t be able to do it with the Solo due to DSP limitations. The Duo is more expensive, but totally worth it.
Wow that must be two serious plug-ins! I would’ve thought I’d be able to run a reverb at least with the solo...
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiggyPudding18 ➡️
Wow that must be two serious plug-ins! I would’ve thought I’d be able to run a reverb at least with the solo...
Yeah, check it out. This is a great resource for letting you know which plugins you’ll be able to use. Capitol Chambers is a hungry reverb! https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/art...bile_site=true
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiggyPudding18 ➡️
You can, but with the Apollo you are going to want to be running unison preamps more than DSP hungry reverbs if you had to choose. You definitely want the duo if you’re getting a twin.

You can use the realverb pro that comes with it as a lightweight monitoring reverb, and it does sound pretty good in mixes as well. Capitol Chambers is really amazing though.

As far as non uad plugins, they run as they always did for you. The DSP in the Apollo is great for very low latency monitoring and tracking with the plugins, then when you’re mixing, it also powers the uad plugins that you use.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I highly recommend getting the Twin for multiple reasons.

Double the DSP,
Adds the ability to add 8 more inputs via adat (what if you want to record drums one day).
Has spdif in case you want to hook up something that does its own AD/DA (Kemper for example).
If you decide later to get a rack Apollo or an x4 you can still use the twin for more inputs and DSP.

Benefits of the Solo. Cheaper, bus powered so more portable.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I was confused, I thought you meant Apollo twin solo vs Apollo twin duo. I forgot they renamed the interface that’s now called the Apollo solo.

I’d definitely get the twin duo rather than the Apollo solo, for the reasons mentioned in the previous post.
📝 Reply