The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need preamp for main monitoring setup (mastering)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Need preamp for main monitoring setup (mastering)

Hi all, I am slowly building up a mastering studio. For my PMC MB2 XBD setup I am looking for a simple stereo preamp. I am planning on DIY-ing a high end preamp with gain set using a switch rather than a volume potentiometer; however, for the time being, I'd like to have something simple.

I'm not sure what noise level to look for. I believe -100 dB noise floor might be adequate, but I'm not sure. Can someone comment on this please?

The (analog, line-level) crossover has XLR inputs, and the whole amplifier stack is balanced, so I'm looking to convert the SE signal coming out of my current DAC into balanced. If the preamp can do this, then that's great. If not, then I'm open to suggestions on how to best go about this. I might simply get/make an unbalanced -> XLR cable and live without the final 6dB of headroom, those speakers are currently not going to be played at maximum loudness anyways. Any suggestions against doing that?

I am looking for something on the budget since it's obviously not a long term investment. Something up to ~$500 is fine, but ideally less than that. I am not looking for ultimate fidelity, just "workable and not offensive" for now. A couple products that come to mind are the NAD PP4 and the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2. I would appreciate any comments on those.

To be honest it's difficult to find stereo preamps meant for the studio... any suggestions?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
i'm not quite getting why you wanna use a preamp and this whole un-balancing thing? - can recommend the radial mc3 monitor switch:

https://www.radialeng.com/product/mc3
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the info. There are a few things to be said:
1. all my current sources are single ended
2. the amp system starts with an analog line level frequency crossover (balanced input)

This means to me that I might need some sort of line level amplification before the crossover - so that the source doesn't get loaded too much. That could result in a changed frequency response (less bass, worse highs). What do you think?

I can't find any specifications for the input impedance on the crossover. Additionally, even though it's designated Bryston 10B, it's not like the Bryston 10B you can find on the internet - it's a special PMC version of some sort. The included manual does not specify input impedance. However, the 10B is an active circuit, so my initial guess is it will have a high input impedance, but you can't know for sure.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, you already have a line level signal from your DAC, no?
I'd just live with it being unbalanced.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I mean it's not exactly "line level" vs "not line level". It's all about having the right thd+n and current handling capability. If you exceed an output's current capability, your thd+n will rise drastically.
Old 4 weeks ago
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheater ➑️
I mean it's not exactly "line level" vs "not line level". It's all about having the right thd+n and current handling capability. If you exceed an output's current capability, your thd+n will rise drastically.
Well, that's what I mean, don't worry about 'loading' your DAC. I'm sure PMC did not design speakers with a low enough impedance to load anything that feeds them
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shobud ➑️
Well, that's what I mean, don't worry about 'loading' your DAC. I'm sure PMC did not design speakers with a low enough impedance to load anything that feeds them
Gotcha, thanks
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgilroy ➑️
Thanks, I'll have a read through that in time.
πŸ“ Reply