The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How have you "burlized" your ADC process?
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_T_Music ➡️
It's about trying to achieve some of the Burl character with non-Burl converters. If you don't have anything on that topic to share go sing it to yourself in the shower; it's not relevant here.
The issue is when you tell people why their non burl converter will probably never achieve Burl Status, they get defensive and they derail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeraz ➡️
The issue is when you tell people why their non burl converter will probably never achieve Burl Status, they get defensive and they derail.
No the issue is that when you argue against the very premise of the thread people don't appreciate it. Why should they? If you disagree with the premise, just stay out of it.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
No the issue is that when you argue against the very premise of the thread people don't appreciate it. Why should they? If you disagree with the premise, just stay out of it.
Not unless the mods me ban from the thread will I stay out of it. So go ahead and feel free to report my posts if you feel they are inaccurate, otherwise mind your beeswax and don't read them. Although nothing I stated was wrong. I provided facts. plenty of articles from AES and reputable universities. Fact of the matter most converters have issues with Jitter and PS and ADCs and opamps. Burl is made with quality components!! that is why they sound good. From what I gather people want to get a $100 interface, wave a magic wand and have it sounded like a Burl.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Not unless the mods me ban from the thread will I stay out of it. So go ahead and feel free to report my posts if you feel they are inaccurate, otherwise mind your beeswax and don't read them. Although nothing I stated was wrong. I provided facts. plenty of articles from AES and reputable universities. Fact of the matter most converters have issues with Jitter and PS and ADCs and opamps. Burl is made with quality components!! that is why they sound good. From what I gather people want to get a $100 interface, wave a magic wand and have it sounded like a Burl.
You must be a real treat to work with.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface ➡️
You must be a real treat to work with.
Ironically people want to work with me because I have a rack of Burls. There is no engineer more difficult to work with than an Engineer who doesn't understand quality gear.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Ironically people want to work with me because I have a rack of Burls. There is no engineer more difficult to work with than an Engineer who doesn't understand quality gear.
Well, whatever it takes to lure them in...
Quote:
I agree with both of you.

1. That he is derailing.'
2. It's not going to be Burl exactly (and who cares)

which is why the thread is about "Burlizing" not a "burl clone."
Gear Addict

It probably comes down to two questions:

a) is Burlization necessarily in the design of the analog part of the ADC or can an analog color box before a given ADC give similar results?

b) is the gain staging in an analog chain altered if the converter lends itself to be made part of the gain staging?

For a) it should be possible to mimic the THD-spectrum of a Burl converter with some kind of color box, be it pre's, desks, bus-EQ's.

b) is probably harder to achieve and a much more sublte as it appears to be a more holistic part of the process. Note the word "appears" here.
Xnr
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgilroy ➡️
It probably comes down to two questions:

a) is Burlization necessarily in the design of the analog part of the ADC or can an analog color box before a given ADC give similar results?

b) is the gain staging in an analog chain altered if the converter lends itself to be made part of the gain staging?

For a) it should be possible to mimic the THD-spectrum of a Burl converter with some kind of color box, be it pre's, desks, bus-EQ's.

b) is probably harder to achieve and a much more sublte as it appears to be a more holistic part of the process. Note the word "appears" here.
  • ADC: burlization is not necessary per se but adding saturation makes the source sound thicker, fitting better into the mix. I definitely see some value in there.
  • DAC: depends. If this is your monitoring chain, you most likely want the signal to come out as pure as possible. On the other hand, if this is your DJ setup and you actually want the music coming out of the club speakers to have a bit of extra color it's great to have that option.
  • It is absolutley possible to add harmonics using a separate device (e.g. preamp) or even a plugin. You don't need to overpay for all-in-one solution if you are up for experimenting. Compare it to building your own PC, you can buy one off the shelf or go lego style picking separate components to fit the needs.
  • is the gain staging in an analog chain altered? Hard to tell without knowing what exactly is happening to the signal. Smoothing out the transients may indicate some dynamic range loss. But is it bad if it sounds good?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i've been really enjoying printing all of my stuff through a pair of Rupert Neve Designs 542 tape emulators for the 500 series format. everything expect vocals (during tracking at least) and drums (mostly because i don't have enough of them to implement them during tracking without starting to mess with the phase relationship between multi-mic drums by only using them on rooms or overheads or kick/snare, etc.)

i leave gain set at detent noon, saturation set to minimum, mix set to max, and red silk on min. mostly 30 ips setting- the 15 ips has this low mid bump and i'm usually carving away low mids in everything during mix anyways.

tracks that i didn't record and get to sent to mix all get printed through them as well before i even start pulling faders up. these things add up! adds a nice heft/texture to everything and seems to make everything gel a bit easier after it's all gotten a similar coat of color.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface ➡️
I’m curious: what’s a “bad converter” in 2021?
It's made by those guys who also don't make top tier gas.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsville ➡️
Cheap converters are far from accurate. Hell I have a Lavry Gold and I think it’s still far from accurate. Compare an analog signal to PCM audio and the loss in depth & dimension is nothing subtle IMO. Now DSD audio on the other gets very close for relatively cheap.
What happens when you stem out the captured pcm tracks to a patch bay and then 128 input analog console for mix? Any improvement?

I've heard some tracks captured on cheap interfaces that can improve by simply getting out of the box for mix. And then, there's the lathe.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrusonic ➡️
i've been really enjoying printing all of my stuff through a pair of Rupert Neve Designs 542 tape emulators for the 500 series format.

Yep, I have observed a very prolific electronic music producer use two 500 series Chandler TG2's in front of his RME converters to print the final mix.
📝 Reply