The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How have you "burlized" your ADC process?
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #61
Gear Addict
 
Dude thx for trolling and posting some general info on jitter. I specifically asked for measurements on RME devices.

Since you are good at Google would you be so kind to provide some links showing bad Jitter/power-supply noise in RME devices? So far I failed at finding them.

Last edited by mcgilroy; 3 weeks ago at 09:34 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #62
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeraz ➡️
Also many of those units have very high latency compared to professional high end units.
RME has very high latency?

Alistair
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #63
Lives for gear
 
esldude's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate ➡️
All this talk about Digidesign, which has not existed for a decade now.
And had measurably very bad jitter.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #64
Lives for gear
 
esldude's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeraz ➡️
YOU can just get all the converters and measure their jitter or look at their specs sheets. However amounts of jitter can be good since if controlled in a certain way it can actually smear the image in a ear pleasing way. Of course this is all subjective.


Noisy power supplies cause lots of issues with any digital equipment or any audio equipment of that matter. Go to digi key and look up how much good power supplies cost. They cost more than most prosumer interfaces. What does that tell you? And yes cheap noisy power supplies cause all kinds of problems with interference and with any digital unit, they can mess with the clock and subsequently jitter specs. So how can MAudio or Beheriner make a good interface for $200 when a good powersupply coats about that much? A Burl costs $2500 for 2 channels yet digi design has figured out how to get you 24 channels for only a couple hundred more. Wow that's a miraculous achievement. Bottom line is nothing is for free and you get what you pay for in audio.
It tells me some people overcharge for their gear.

I've measured relatively low end interfaces that are very quiet. Though I'm no fan of Berhringer or Maudio.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #65
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow ➡️
RME has very high latency?

Alistair
RME tend to have pretty excellent latency specs
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #66
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEEspresso ➡️
The OP of this thread asked about getting the Burl sound with his existing converters, without paying Burl prices. I perhaps contributed to the confusion by pointing out that Burl converters are not inaccurate, they are designed to accurately convert their euphonic custom transformer sound.

However, converters are not the subject. I expect the OP already has one of the many converters that are accurate in 2021, he was curious what to put in front of his accutate converters to get close to the Burl sound but at a lower price.
Correct.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #67
Gear Addict
 
The AD-color box is a product category waiting to be invented...
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #68
Gear Nut
 
TEEspresso's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgilroy ➡️
The AD-color box is a product category waiting to be invented...
Burl BDA4M, BAD8; JCF Audio AD8 PEP; Rupert Neve Master Bus Converter; Dangerous Music Convert AD+...

Many such cases... Happy!
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #69
Lives for gear
 
hitsville's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambiguous signal ➡️
Once upon a time everybody was obsessed with converter accuracy .. now that accurate converters are cheap all the expensive stuff is deliberately inaccurate (admittedly nice sounding) converters (and supporting analogue circuitry). I find this very amusing.
Cheap converters are far from accurate. Hell I have a Lavry Gold and I think it’s still far from accurate. Compare an analog signal to PCM audio and the loss in depth & dimension is nothing subtle IMO. Now DSD audio on the other gets very close for relatively cheap.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #70
Lives for gear
 
tymish's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeraz ➡️
this comment would mean something on a songwriting thread but here is is just a straw-man and classic diversion
So what does one call a person who joins a forum and within a couple days has a number of provocative, web informed yet clearly not topic informed posts. I think there's a special word for that as well.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #71
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymish ➡️
So what does one call a person who joins a forum and within a couple days has a number of provocative, web informed yet clearly not topic informed posts. I think there's a special word for that as well.
would that word be "knowledgeable" ? or how about "experienced"?
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #72
Gear Addict
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEEspresso ➡️
Burl BDA4M, BAD8; JCF Audio AD8 PEP; Rupert Neve Master Bus Converter; Dangerous Music Convert AD+...

Many such cases... Happy!
I know, I was more thinking about a box in front of the AD. Which seems what the OP is looking for.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #73
Lives for gear
 
gravyface's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeraz ➡️
would that word be "knowledgeable" ? or how about "experienced"?
How would we know that if this is an alt?
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #74
Lives for gear
 
gravyface's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgilroy ➡️
I know, I was more thinking about a box in front of the AD. Which seems what the OP is looking for.
Preamp? Console?
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #75
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface ➡️
It falls under Perfectly Adequate to Accomplish Whatever Musical Goals you Have, as does every other interface the negative creeps have been slighting on here.
Just wondering mate, why are you in this thread? Having read through the thread I get the impression you're firmly in the "converters don't matter that much ultimately" camp; just get any ole' thing and get on with it. It's true to say converters these days won't be a bottleneck in a compositional context or even production stages for that matter. I.e. you can make a hit record etc etc. But it's probably fair to assume not everyone here is making music. Some are mix/record engineers, mastering folk etc I presume. Anyway that's more of a side point.

Why are you so invested in this if you're of the opinion that it doesn't matter at all and just any kind of cheap converter/interface is fine?

Anecdotally, I went from an RME interface to a Mytek converter and the results were pretty shocking on the DAC side. I'd never go back. I'm not religious about it but the Mytek is so much better in every sense. It doesn't play a part in a compositional context but it is a lot more enjoyable at playback.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #76
Lives for gear
 
gravyface's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf ➡️
Just wondering mate, why are you in this thread? Having read through the thread I get the impression you're firmly in the "converters don't matter that much ultimately" camp; just get any ole' thing and get on with it. It's true to say converters these days won't be a bottleneck in a compositional context or even production stages for that matter. I.e. you can make a hit record etc etc. But it's probably fair to assume not everyone here is making music. Some are mix/record engineers, mastering folk etc I presume. Anyway that's more of a side point.

Why are you so invested in this if you're of the opinion that it doesn't matter at all and just any kind of cheap converter/interface is fine?

Anecdotally, I went from an RME interface to a Mytek converter and the results were pretty shocking on the DAC side. I'd never go back. I'm not religious about it but the Mytek is so much better in every sense. It doesn't play a part in a compositional context but it is a lot more enjoyable at playback.
I was hired by Behringer to troll on here. The jig is up.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #77
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf ➡️

Anecdotally, I went from an RME interface to a Mytek converter and the results were pretty shocking on the DAC side. I'd never go back.
yeah big difference in my experience as well
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #78
Lives for gear
 
IanBSC's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsville ➡️
Cheap converters are far from accurate. Hell I have a Lavry Gold and I think it’s still far from accurate. Compare an analog signal to PCM audio and the loss in depth & dimension is nothing subtle IMO. Now DSD audio on the other gets very close for relatively cheap.
Truth.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #79
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
There should be some kind of flag on threads that quickly devolve into pissing matches so folks know not to bother reading.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #80
Lives for gear
 
gravyface's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkshop ➡️
There should be some kind of flag on threads that quickly devolve into pissing matches so folks know not to bother reading.
Every thread would be flagged

That's all it is in here: analog vs. digital, converter wars (although I thought that was over, but here we are), summing wars, ITB vs. OTB... new ones like Aliasing vs. Oversampling... 100% bicker fest.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #81
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
 
5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Thread is disturbing in its inaccuracies and myth spreading.

Shocking statements are simply wrong or problems in conversion are attributed to nonsense guesses.

Deeply inaccurate.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #82
Lives for gear
 
gravyface's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➡️
Thread is disturbing in its inaccuracies and myth spreading.

Shocking statements are simply wrong or problems in conversion are attributed to nonsense guesses.

Deeply inaccurate.
Lay it on me, brother.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgilroy ➡️
I know, I was more thinking about a box in front of the AD. Which seems what the OP is looking for.
Also correct. After Mic Pre before ADC. I mean this is the presumption of what is happening in a Burl. From what I'm unravelling, it's something like a 1:1 input and output transformer right into their ADC all in one unit.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #84
Gear Nut
 
TEEspresso's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickerz ➡️
From what I'm unravelling, it's something like a 1:1 input and output transformer right into their ADC all in one unit.
I'm pretty sure the Burl cards have their input transformer plus their Class A op-amps before the ADC. The newest 4 channel Burl card has a switchable transformer so one may select only the op-amp for a cleaner tone, but the rest have the transformer + op-amp.

The JCF Audio AD8 has only transformers in the signal path, though.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #85
Gear Maniac
As far as already existing products that could be used for this purpose go, I would consider looking into the DIYRE Colour Palette.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #86
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgilroy ➡️
Dude thx for trolling and posting some general info on jitter. I specifically asked for measurements on RME devices.

Since you are good at Google would you be so kind to provide some links showing bad Jitter/power-supply noise in RME devices? So far I failed at finding them.
stop hijacking the thread, no one here cares about RME. RME is for entry level studios and low end home studios. Burl is for professional studios. That is all you need to know about Jitter. Any manufacturer can claim whatever they want about their specs on google or in their manuals. What matters is what professionals are using in the field and many of them use Burl. No pro studios use RME.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #87
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
 
5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Nonsense! RME Micstasy is one of the top mic amps and converters. Research all the great records done with it. For example, many BIS recordings.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #88
Gear Maniac
Pretty sure this thread is not about bashing this or that converter. It's about trying to achieve some of the Burl character with non-Burl converters. If you don't have anything on that topic to share go sing it to yourself in the shower; it's not relevant here.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #89
Lives for gear
 
gravyface's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_T_Music ➡️
Pretty sure this thread is not about bashing this or that converter. It's about trying to achieve some of the Burl character with non-Burl converters. If you don't have anything on that topic to share go sing it to yourself in the shower; it's not relevant here.
You must be new here.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #90
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface ➡️
You must be new here.
no just finally had enough of pompous jerks ruining what could be interesting threads. I've quietly sat through 10 years of this stuff.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 59 views: 26616
Avatar for NoEgo
NoEgo 30th November 2010
replies: 134 views: 36886
Avatar for C//AZM
C//AZM 3 weeks ago
replies: 631 views: 14835
Avatar for ponzi
ponzi 38 minutes ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump