The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stam SA-76 vs Audio-scape 76a/f vs. Serpent Splice FET mkii
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Stam SA-76 vs Audio-scape 76a/f vs. Serpent Splice FET mkii

Hey there,

I know there are countless vs. threads, but I recently found issues with my WA76 where I'm not sure I want to invest any more money to fix, and just thought about picking up one of the following for mostly my vocal chain:

Stam SA-76
Audio-scape 76-A or 76-F
Serpent Splice FET Mkii (worth rack over 500 series?)

Does anyone that's heard all or some of these have any opinions on which they liked the most? I don't necessarily care how close it sounds to an 1176, just overall sound quality/vibe.

For background, my vocal chain consists of:

Tonelux JC37 (Sony C37a clone)
Peluso P12 (C12 clone)
Louder Than Liftoff Silver Bullet (Pre / Tone Box)
Focusrite ISA 110 LE (Use sometimes for cleaner stuff)
RME ADI 2 Pro FS
Note: I'm also using an Audio-scape Bus Compressor (which I've found also sounds super nice as a vocal comp while tracking - might pair it with a 76 style)

I do a lot of styles, mostly dance / electronic / new wave / pop / chillout

Thanks for your help!

Best,

David

Last edited by ThePremiere; 4 weeks ago at 11:15 PM.. Reason: Added to list
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
K so I just snagged a Stam SA76 from Reverb for too good of a price to turn down. Because I know they are out of stock for good, and take so long to get shipped, I had to pull the trigger.

If anyone has any experience with the SA76 Blueface, (not ADG/ADF), I'd still be curious to hear your thoughts, esp vs the WA76.

If Revive (whose currently assessing the issue on my Revive modded WA76) can figure out and fix it for reasonable cost, I might go forward and maybe put it up for sale. It sounds amazing, but I think the Rev A sound fits what I'm looking for (esp with a slower / darker mic). Who knows, maybe I'll keep both.

Cheers!
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Stam Audio

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePremiere ➡️
K so I just snagged a Stam SA76 from Reverb for too good of a price to turn down. Because I know they are out of stock for good, and take so long to get shipped, I had to pull the trigger.

If anyone has any experience with the SA76 Blueface, (not ADG/ADF), I'd still be curious to hear your thoughts, esp vs the WA76.

If Revive (whose currently assessing the issue on my Revive modded WA76) can figure out and fix it for reasonable cost, I might go forward and maybe put it up for sale. It sounds amazing, but I think the Rev A sound fits what I'm looking for (esp with a slower / darker mic). Who knows, maybe I'll keep both.

Cheers!
Hello!

The SA-76A was a very good unit and got much praise and love back when I made it. It was replaced by the SA76-ADF which has the same A inside and also the other 2 revisions D and F.

I will be making a very special version of the 1176 A again when time allows.

If you send me a picture via private message of the inside I can let you know if there is any upgrades you can perform to it. Which transformers does it have, Cinemag in and out or Sowters? I made it with both, first Cinemags and then replaced it by Sowters.

I hope you enjoy it!
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stam Audio ➡️
Hello!

The SA-76A was a very good unit and got much praise and love back when I made it. It was replaced by the SA76-ADF which has the same A inside and also the other 2 revisions D and F.

I will be making a very special version of the 1176 A again when time allows.

If you send me a picture via private message of the inside I can let you know if there is any upgrades you can perform to it. Which transformers does it have, Cinemag in and out or Sowters? I made it with both, first Cinemags and then replaced it by Sowters.

I hope you enjoy it!
Hey Josh - great to hear from you!

The unit just shipped today, and so far I've only had a quick moment to test with, but it sounded amazing! I'll be looking forward to working with it this weekend.

For sure, I'd love to open it up and send you a photo - would be cool to hear its upgrade potential. I asked the seller re: Cinemag or Sowter, and he was not sure.

Also, excited for your upcoming special version of the 1176, definitely keep us posted. Thanks again!

Cheers,

David
📝 Reply