Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barncore ➡️
Looks like i've whittled my decision down to 3 options:
1. SE VR-1 (voodoo ribbon)
2. OPR Grill U-Mod (ribbon)
3. Nohype LRM-V (ribbon)

If you have any experience or strong opinions about these mics i'd love to hear it.
Not sure i would pick a ribbon as an all purpose mic. Also in this case the mic preamp might make a bigger difference. Especially using passive ribbons on quiet sources. The VR-2 active ribbon might be a better choice if you insist on going with a ribbon mic around that price. Remember, advertising likes to use words like warm, 3D, smooth. which could also mean dark, muffled etc. depending on someones personal tastes.

i agree with others that a combo of the Oktava Mk012 and a good dynamic or a multipattern large diaphragm condenser would be better all purpose kit.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Looks like i've whittled my decision down to 3 options:
1. SE VR-1 (voodoo ribbon)
2. OPR Grill U-Mod (ribbon)
3. Nohype LRM-V (ribbon)

If you have any experience or strong opinions about these mics i'd love to hear it.
Not familiar with the OPR series.

The SE VR-1 is a decent, cheap 'modern' ribbon. But something doesn't sit well with me in upper mids on strings - sounds plasticy and non-ribbonie (to use a technical term).

The value for money champ is the NoHype series - they convey a lush, open mid-range that makes almost any sub $3k condenser sound cheap.

A LRM-V and a pair of Line Audio CM4s (or omni OM1s) would give you many options from mono Fig-8 to MS and other stereo capture methods. And still be in your budget.

The Line Audio mics are very neutral, small capsule mics that are more versatile than most any LDCs. Among the few low cost mics you'd keep, even when Schoeps are in your locker.

Do not spend $$$ on the OC818. While it's a very clever mic - possibly the best 414 AKG never made - it's also a bright mic with a high freq. lift. Some like bright sounding mics and the false detail it imparts. I don't. Seems like you don't either.

The best advise I can give is to go with your ears and gut feeling and don't listen to the advise here at GS. Including this. Or except this.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Just get that MD1A and sing into it and smile.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Wow, didn't expect that much pushback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger ➡️
Depending on the musician's taste, a ribbon like the LRMV could potentially be a workhorse... if OP is mainly just tracking himself for his own projects, he might not need a multipattern LDC. I own several but rarely switch the pattern since I'm usually a one-track-at-a-time composer/producer, not recording ensembles (or even duets). So that might not be a bad call for this particular person, assuming this isn't a commercial studio.

Otherwise, in that price range, the only multipattern LDC I'd recommend is a 3U Warbler MKID. That's a ton of mic for the money, made by a small, cool company who does things right. Won't have the same character as a ribbon, though, of course!
You got it right. I'm just tracking myself in my studio, which is a small room that's semi-treated. One track at a time. I do remote mixing and mastering for clients, not tracking. That's worth keeping in mind. This isn't a business decision.

Guitar amp emulations (Neural DSP, Amplitube 5 etc) have gotten to a point that have rendered miking a guitar cab superfluous, and i don't have a guitar amp anyway. I also program drums through MIDI with good results. The only thing i'll be tracking is things like acoustic guitar, and some percussion stuff, general foley and other random bits and bobs. Maybe voice one day if i ever grow the balls.

My thinking is that a condenser within my budget wouldn't give me as much value as a ribbon in my budget. I've been told that condensers pick up the tone of the room more than any other mic. So why would i increase the budget to get something in a room that isn't optimized for tracking? Also, I already said it but i don't like the bright sound of cheap condensers, i like a creamy warm sound with character. The ribbons i've picked out are particular "bang for buck" mics that have garnered a lot of passion from users. I'm not looking to break the bank. I need something that is value for money. I'm open to a dynamic mic (or 2) too but ribbons seem like the value pick.

If the choice still doesn't make sense after me saying all that i'd be interested to know! I'm no expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyB ➡️
A 'tad bigger budget for the AA OC818 would allow recording front-and-back and then learn the effect of all the patterns and mix to taste with their Polar software ... I am finding it very educational as well as fun, and sounding good ...
That mic is triple my listed budget

Last edited by Barncore; 3 weeks ago at 11:24 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@ Barncore Right on! Yeah, I had a feeling we were in similar situations.

Incidentally, if you ARE ever looking for a quality LDC in that price range, 3U Audio is absolutely the way to go. On an album I just finished, I used a 3U "Warbler MKID" (modeled after a vintage u87) on half of it and a genuine Neumann on the other half. Honestly, listening back, I can't remember which takes were which mic. The Warblers are phenomenally higher quality than their price would suggest.

Fortunately, there are more affordable mics that actually sound good nowadays than ever before. Particularly if you're single-tracking.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

"miking a guitar cab superfluous".
I have a number of Pro guitarists, who are good friends.

That's like saying what's the point of a Harley,
in front of a bunch of Hog lovers, getting together.

Chris
P.S. And all those pedals too...
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Wow, didn't expect that much pushback

You got it right. I'm just tracking myself in my studio, which is a small room that's semi-treated. One track at a time. I do remote mixing and mastering for clients, not tracking. That's worth keeping in mind. This isn't a business decision.

Guitar amp emulations (Neural DSP, Amplitube 5 etc) have gotten to a point that have rendered miking a guitar cab superfluous, and i don't have a guitar amp anyway. I also program drums through MIDI with good results. The only thing i'll be tracking is things like acoustic guitar, and some percussion stuff, general foley and other random bits and bobs. Maybe voice one day if i ever grow the balls.

My thinking is that a condenser within my budget wouldn't give me as much value as a ribbon in my budget. I've been told that condensers pick up the tone of the room more than any other mic. So why would i increase the budget to get something in a room that isn't optimized for tracking? Also, I already said it but i don't like the bright sound of cheap condensers, i like a creamy warm sound with character. The ribbons i've picked out are particular "bang for buck" mics that have garnered a lot of passion from users. I'm not looking to break the bank. I need something that is value for money. I'm open to a dynamic mic (or 2) too but ribbons seem like the value pick.

If the choice still doesn't make sense after me saying all that i'd be interested to know! I'm no expert

That mic is triple my listed budget
I’m not sure if a ribbon is the way to go in your case in all honesty.. BUT the LRM-V is a great mic, well thought out and well made for its very low price. It sounds good. Unbeatable at that price point.

You will need a decent preamp to make him justice, although it’s not too demanding for a passive ribbon.

I do own some great high quality mics (including a bunch of Neumann and Schoeps, among others) and have used a lot of stuff (in top locations around the globe) and I can tell you JP at NoHype did a great job on this one.

I don’t know better ribbons at that price.
the tbone rb500 is another cheap ribbon that sounds cool, never used on vocals though, but not as “classy” as the lrm-v..nice addition on gtr cabs with a 57.. the lrm-v is better made though..at every level.

At higher prices there are the Sandhill (on the clean side) and the Extinct Audio, which are excellent (along with the usual suspects like AEA and Coles).. to be fair these feel more expensive, you can tell that they (could) invest more money, of course they sound great.

The lrm-v sounds very good and the decisions made were very right, they needed to match a price point, but the audio part is not suffering because of these, the grill is actually excellent, I was surprised..
You can tell that JP knows what he’s doing and put a LOT of efforts and clever solutions for this affordable gem. One man operation with big passion. Also very fast and responsive.

the metalwork/body shows that is a little bit less refined/expensive but it looks good, and frankly it’s sturdy and well made.. but hey..165euro??
can’t praise the lrm-v enough.

At that price is a no brainer and worth the buy even if you have some big boys in the locker.

Cheu
Lives for gear
Quote:
It's perfectly legit to start out with anything from a Shure SM57 to a Beyer M88 or M201 to a ribbon or a large diaphragm condenser or even a small diaphragm condenser.

All these mics will get the job done and nobody can really tell you which would be best for you or which you will enjoy working with to get the kinds of sounds that you are after.

It seems like you don't want a bright condenser so skip that but there are ones that are are more neutral or smoother sounding.

Whether you will find a ribbon to be perfect or if ends up being too dark only you can decide. If you are not eq-phobic (eq isn't the evil some people make it) you may want to do some mid or high boosts sometimes or maybe cut some lows.

The important thing is to gather some info like it seems you have been doing and then dive into experiencing what you can actually do with the mic you have choosen.

At some point down the road you will probably want to add a different type of mic to your toolbox and with that you can learn even more by being able to compare them. This is why earlier I suggested an SM57 along with a not so bright condenser but if a ribbon has grabbed you then go that route. Nobody is going to die because you didn't choose the "perfect" mic on your first purchase.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Max Budget: $300-400 (but willing to buy 2nd hand)

Application: Multi purpose studio recording. Not for super loud stuff like drums or guitar amps though (but hey you never know), more like acoustic instruments, percussion, vocals, etc.

Sound: I favour a warm/smooth/full sound over a bright/harsh sound. Mostly interested in something that offers a euphonic 3D sound and proximity effect. Fidelity is important. I want wow factor. I'm a sucker for heaps of "character".

The space: It's a fairly small treated room. 6 baffles total. (although the space will change in 1-3 years probably)

Follow up question: My preamp is in my interface - Audient iD14. Is that good enough? Or would i get more bang for buck if I got a cheaper mic + a little preamp box?

Thanks!
I use an Audient id22 and I like it a lot. I have a Neat King Bee that's great, but they're rare as hen's teeth. Smooth mic if you can find one. I paid $89 for mine but then they quit making them. (The team that developed it was the team from Blue and it's patterned after the Blue Spark, maybe?). It started out as a $329 mic and then the price dropped and then it went away.
I think that an SE Electronics se2000c is a warm, smooth mic as well.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger ➡️
@ Barncore Right on! Yeah, I had a feeling we were in similar situations.

Incidentally, if you ARE ever looking for a quality LDC in that price range, 3U Audio is absolutely the way to go. On an album I just finished, I used a 3U "Warbler MKID" (modeled after a vintage u87) on half of it and a genuine Neumann on the other half. Honestly, listening back, I can't remember which takes were which mic. The Warblers are phenomenally higher quality than their price would suggest.

Fortunately, there are more affordable mics that actually sound good nowadays than ever before. Particularly if you're single-tracking.
This may sound silly, but how do you buy the Warbler MKID? I'm on the website but there's no option.

Anyway, this is actually an appealing option because 3U appears to be Australian, so the shipping fee will be minimal for me. Cheers
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Guosheng sells direct from his eBay store front. But will sell directly to us at GS - shipping is included. Contact him at: [email protected]

As I mentioned way back on page 1, you can hear many of the 3U Audio mics at this thread: Thread Dedicated to Just 3U Audio Mic Demos

I suggested the Warbler MKIV - very smooth C12-style edge-terminated capsule with a little sparkle on top. Or the Warbler MKV - even smoother. Some say ribbon-like top end.

Note, the MKI and MKID use K67-style center-terminated capsules with the oh so familiar U87 upper mid push. Which is well loved by many. I like that mid-bump for voiceover. Not so much for strings and other things.

Guosheng is happy to answer questions and share his expert knowledge. Don't forget to ask about the Warbler 127 series of SDC mics. They're my fav swappable capsule SDC under $800.
Lives for gear

Quote:
<snipped>

It's a mixed bag. A cardiod pattern condenser is likely to pick up less room tone with minor baffling than a Figure 8 ribbon will, the majority of ribbon mics are bi-directional. But the sides of the figure 8 do reject well. So you may have to find ways to manage the back side pickup of most ribbons since it's equal to the front side.

When using cardiod mics in my small space I use pair of 2' x 4' bass traps on stands as gobos. You can try the same for the back side.

If you want a tight pattern unidirectional ribbon mic then look at something like the Beyer M160.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Ok JP himself from NoHype Audio suggested that a ribbon mic might lead to disappoint for my purposes (e.g. recording quieter noises (like finger tapping percussion for example, acoustic guitar) and he recommended a condenser. Can't knock the guy's honesty! So now i'm open to listening to you all who balked at my blind love for the ribbon direction. The truth be told, i don't know what i want. But i know that i do want a boutique mic from a small passionate company with reasonable prices. Who should i look at in terms of condensers? Thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ok JP himself from NoHype Audio suggested that a ribbon mic might lead to disappoint for my purposes (e.g. recording quieter noises (like finger tapping percussion for example, acoustic guitar) and he recommended a condenser. Can't knock the guy's honesty! So now i'm open to listening to you all who balked at my blind love for the ribbon direction. The truth be told, i don't know what i want. But i know that i do want a boutique mic from a small passionate company with reasonable prices. Who should i look at in terms of condensers? Thanks
The answer is not far away. Post #71 above holds the best small boutique budget condenser options. The 3U MKVD would be my choice for most ribbon-like smoothness. My MKIV in setting 3 is quite sweet too. The Warbler 127 with either the flat card or omni capsule are great as well. As noted above.

Haven't had any noisy issues recording quiet(ish) nylon acoustics with the NoHype SRM-1, but use a quiet pre with 68dB of gain. Also... a little analog noise is like good dither, but better. ;-)

If you want more mainstream boutique options, the Warm Audio WA84 is great versatile SDC with a capsule from 3U and a big Cinemag transformer. Great on any instruments and surprisingly wonderful on vocals (with a good pop filter).

Oh wait... you're in Auz. Definitely checkout Beeskneez - lovingly crafted in NSW (Not Suitable for Work), Australia. Possibly a little over budget. But since I'm spending your money...it's ok.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
That’s what most people told you over here too..

With that budget a Shure ksm32 (I know it’s not a boutique company, but the mic is excellent, and it’s rather natural sounding) or maybe a Beesneez Oliver Fet or an Elly Fet.. should be around that price.. maybe you can find some tube version used? But these will sound pretty good for that price, although the Shure appears to have a lower noise floor.

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 ➡️
That’s what most people told you over here too..
That was my point
📝 Reply