The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lets play: Recommend me a mic!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
[. . .the patience of Job. . .]
Thanks, dd!

I know I've asked you that question more than a dozen times from a more than a dozen different directions.

The response is helpful - as usual - and much appreciated.

Ray H.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
i find an intrinsic approach (questioning seemingly clear gs facts over and over, not only to get a picture for myself but by weighing and discussing different points of view and encouraging others to question their own views) much more valuable than 'discussions' that seem to have the naming of a specific product as the only permissible answer.

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 4 weeks ago at 03:17 PM.. Reason: cut out some personal stuff
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barncore ➡️
Thanks for the responses so far everybody.

A quick note. Forget what i said about proximity affect, i thought it meant something else until i looked it up. Most important is depth of sound. E.g. the source sounds like it's its own "full" entity.. Dunno how to articulate it. 3D? Somebody please tell me if there's a word for it, it would make researching mics much easier!
This will be my first. Have been getting by with creating everything inside the box, but wanna open up some possibilities.
Don't ever expect from a mic. As DD and JLast mentioned, they are just tools. People fork out $6k for a tube mic, and are surprised and disappointed that it's not a ticket to instant sonic nirvana.

If this will be your first mic, IMHO, it would be hard to go wrong starting with an SM57 and an SM27. These are two versatile mics you can continue to use after you build your mic collection.
Lives for gear
Quote:
[. . .] much more valuable than 'discussions' that seem to have the naming of a specific product as the only permissible answer.
Having both an AEA A440 and a Heiserman H47Tube, I'm now quite certain that the answer to the universe and everything is somewhere between 44 and 47.

42 just doesn't sound right anymore. Of course that 251 and mysterious 12 are still out there. . .and I heard a dandy Gamma Chi swear that it's way back when in '67.

Hey Nineteen,

Ray H.

Umm-umm-umm. No we can't talk at all.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Lewitt LCT 440 pure
+ a dynamic to your taste
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I highly recommend upping the budget just a little and get the Warm Audio 47. I can’t believe how good this mic sounds on ac Gtr and vocals. I haven’t tried the 67 but I bet it’s great too.

I do session work and the Oktava 012 has paid for itself a million times over.

Add an sm7 or any good dynamic and you’re set.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

SM7's for guys (just like Michael Jackson).
441's for Gals (just like Stevie Nicks).

Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@ RayHeath I think you've definitely found the right fits for your sound, your voice, and your style of music. If all of us had nothing to work with but a 44 and a 47, we could all make great recordings.

Oddly, I tend to prefer the 77 for my ribbon and the 67 or 87 for my LDC! But we write and produce pretty different (although spiritually similar, I'd reckon) styles. And my "voice" is a tenor saxophone, most of the time. I've been fortunate to record with almost every "holy grail" mic, and the 47 is killer, but not quite the fit for me, for whatever reason.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger ➡️
Nice! Really enjoying your music - thanks.

I’ve got to get out more,

Ray H.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 ➡️
SM7's for guys (just like Michael Jackson).
441's for Gals (just like Stevie Nicks).

Chris
michael jackson was a guy?!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Yes not an Alien.
Actually. I'm a big fan of his work. Plus I "grew up" listening to the Jackson 5, along with my peer group.

I have some MJ stories (you might not find elsewhere), but I'm afraid they could be considered too "Off Topic".
(unless anyone wants to hear them )
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Well I'll stay away from any.... Family Matters!
Chris
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yes not an Alien.
Actually. I'm a big fan of his work. Plus I "grew up" listening to the Jackson 5, along with my peer group.

I have some MJ stories (you might not find elsewhere), but I'm afraid they could be considered too "Off Topic".
(unless anyone wants to hear them )
Chris
...but he's singing higher than stevie nicks so he should have gotten the md441, right? or do you still insist that sex (or gender) is the decisive factor in selecting a microphone?!

i've heard some stories too (from touring musicians of his band) which have the potential for any thread to go ballistic (or to immediately get shut down) - they're not about gear though (at least, i wouldn't wanna call it *****') so no comment...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

My 2 stories were related to how (supposedly) MJ kept his voice sounding "younger".
And (somehow ) MJ ended up "allegedly" recording someone else's song.
Without the actual songwriter (originally) getting any compensation, for that Hit.
Assuming it was true, they ended up receiving a high 6 Figures, settled out of court BTW.

Now cue up "Taurus" by Spirit, and "Blurred Lines"!
Chris
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
My 2 stories were related to how (supposedly) MJ kept his voice sounding "younger".
that's easy: helium does the trick...

Quote:
MJ ended up "allegedly" recording someone else's song. Without the actual songwriter (originally) getting any compensation, for that Hit. Assuming it was true, they ended up receiving a high 6 Figures, settled out of court BTW.
that's easy too: that must have been céline dion! no one else around that time with a high voice and deep pockets could have afforded to hire michal jackson as a stunt double!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

"Helium"... Or a TLM103!

Chris
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
"Helium"... Or a TLM103!

Chris
nope: helium is a colourless, odourless, tasteless and non-toxic gas and as such pretty much the opposite of a tlm103 - maybe kms140 could have worked though? we'll never know...
Old 4 weeks ago
ccg
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I suggested an M88 and an AT 4040 earlier in this thread. Still excellent choices for you I think.

If you want to save a little money get an AT 4040 and an SM57. The condenser will be helpful for quieter sources.

There's a used 4040 on Reverb for about $225 right now. Add a 57 and you've spent about $325 -- $375 with tax/shipping.

Want to upgrade in a year? That 4040 will be worth $225 if you don't throw it down any stairs or take it swimming with you.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Can't think of a single mic I didn't like. (true story).
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I didn't really but grew up to get a clue and appreciate how talented he was later. Too bad he was such a mess and was surrounded by leeching POFSs.

Back to mics.......
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
CAD E100S....rich, detailed, def punches way above is price class.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Looks like i've whittled my decision down to 3 options:
1. SE VR-1 (voodoo ribbon)
2. OPR Grill U-Mod (ribbon)
3. Nohype LRM-V (ribbon)

If you have any experience or strong opinions about these mics i'd love to hear it.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
3. Nohype LRM-V (ribbon)

If you have any experience or strong opinions about these mics i'd love to hear it.
If you want a great, modern type ribbon a strong opinion would be to include the new Samar AL95 and the Extinct Audio offerings.......
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Max Budget: $300-400 (but willing to buy 2nd hand)

Application: Multi purpose studio recording. Not for super loud stuff like drums or guitar amps though (but hey you never know), more like acoustic instruments, percussion, vocals, etc.

Sound: I favour a warm/smooth/full sound over a bright/harsh sound. Mostly interested in something that offers a euphonic 3D sound and proximity effect. Fidelity is important. I want wow factor. I'm a sucker for heaps of "character".

The space: It's a fairly small treated room. 6 baffles total. (although the space will change in 1-3 years probably)

Follow up question: My preamp is in my interface - Audient iD14. Is that good enough? Or would i get more bang for buck if I got a cheaper mic + a little preamp box?

Thanks!

Quote:
3. Nohype LRM-V (ribbon)

?!?

this leaves me baffled if not speechless and i'm wondering how you got to your pre-selection?

personally, i'd recommend getting any ribbon mic only as an extension of an existing set of mics as imo they are useful but in very rare situations, due to their idiosyncrasies (such as fig8 low sensitivity, low spl capability, limited frequency range etc.)...

...and i would suggest you bump up your budget and try to find a used variable patten ldc - but hey, whatever makes you happy!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Depending on the musician's taste, a ribbon like the LRMV could potentially be a workhorse... if OP is mainly just tracking himself for his own projects, he might not need a multipattern LDC. I own several but rarely switch the pattern since I'm usually a one-track-at-a-time composer/producer, not recording ensembles (or even duets). So that might not be a bad call for this particular person, assuming this isn't a commercial studio.

Otherwise, in that price range, the only multipattern LDC I'd recommend is a 3U Warbler MKID. That's a ton of mic for the money, made by a small, cool company who does things right. Won't have the same character as a ribbon, though, of course!
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger ➡️
Depending on the musician's taste, a ribbon like the LRMV could potentially be a workhorse... if OP is mainly just tracking himself for his own projects, he might not need a multipattern LDC. I own several but rarely switch the pattern since I'm usually a one-track-at-a-time composer/producer, not recording ensembles (or even duets). So that might not be a bad call for this particular person, assuming this isn't a commercial studio.

Otherwise, in that price range, the only multipattern LDC I'd recommend is a 3U Warbler MKID. That's a ton of mic for the money, made by a small, cool company who does things right. Won't have the same character as a ribbon, though, of course!
fine if sticking to a fixed pattern works for you - in contrast, i very often use different patterns, even when recording in the same room and mostlyjust a few different instruments... - multi-pattern ldc's offer more options which in my view is a big plus but i agree there's no point in spending more money if someone doesn't even consider using the various patterns.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

A 'tad bigger budget for the AA OC818 would allow recording front-and-back and then learn the effect of all the patterns and mix to taste with their Polar software ... I am finding it very educational as well as fun, and sounding good ...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
fine if sticking to a fixed pattern works for you - in contrast, i very often use different patterns, even when recording in the same room and mostlyjust a few different instruments... - multi-pattern ldc's offer more options which in my view is a big plus but i agree there's no point in spending more money if someone doesn't even consider using the various patterns.
Agreed on all counts!

Your posts on other threads have really piqued my curiosity about the Austrian OC818 for those very reasons you mention. Seems like kind of the peak of utility mic design at the moment, particularly for engineers who work in large varieties of environment. While that isn't something I do professionally, I still want to try one of those out just to experiment with it! (Also I like the sound of older 414s, to which these seem to be the heirs to the throne.)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Byerdynamic M160. It's my all time favorite vocal mic.
Old 3 weeks ago
ccg
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I LOVE RIBBONS -- but this choice makes no sense to me. Of course I still wish you the best of luck with your recordings
📝 Reply