The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone using the new Neve 8424 mixer
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Anyone using the new Neve 8424 mixer

Has anyone in the studio world been using the new Neve 8424 mixing desk. There’s a few promo videos from Neve but have any guys out there bought one and got the mixer up and running in their studio workflow.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Some discussion here - Introducing the Neve 8424 Console still hoping to hear more about the hybrid workflow since the motorised faders were added.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sombrero ➡️
Some discussion here - Introducing the Neve 8424 Console still hoping to hear more about the hybrid workflow since the motorised faders were added.
Thanks for the link.. very informative.
The desk seems to have taken a bit of a beating from some guys, but personally I think the centre section is great and the console would work marvellously with my hi end pre amps I’ve bought into and still buying.
Mostly tracking and mixing small groups of musicians and 4/5 bands a year at the moment so a console like this could work for me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Certainly seems like a great deal for a lot of folks, think it just got some flak because people didn’t understand why it can’t have all the eqs and preamps of consoles that cost twice as much. Or perhaps folks couldn’t imagine who would want a console without those features.

Seems obvious really it’s for people who want rack seperates or 500 series stuff where needed, and with daw control, seems obvious really. I’m still looking forward to trying one out.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Certainly seems like a great deal for a lot of folks, think it just got some flak because people didn’t understand why it can’t have all the eqs and preamps of consoles that cost twice as much. Or perhaps folks couldn’t imagine who would want a console without those features.

Seems obvious really it’s for people who want rack seperates or 500 series stuff where needed, and with daw control, seems obvious really. I’m still looking forward to trying one out.
If anyone out there has a Neve 8424 and would like to share their thoughts on how they are getting on with the console it would be great to hear from you. I’m sure there are more than few that’ll be interested.

Last edited by Music.man100; 4 weeks ago at 02:32 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music.man100 ➡️
If anyone out there has a Neve 8424 and would like to share their thoughts on how they are getting on with the console it would be great to hear from you. I’m sure there are more than few that’ll be interested.
Hi, there are many worldwide 8424 users, and many more to come, some are GS members and have commented on other threads with their experience.

There are a select few user stories on the Neve.com website, each study details their unique console experience.

J-Studio - Taiwan
https://www.ams-neve.site/post/j-stu...e-8424-console

Producer Mike Smith - USA
https://www.ams-neve.site/post/mike-smith-8424

Thomas Statnik - USA
https://www.ams-neve.site/post/thomas-statnick

Belly of the Beast Studio - UK
https://www.ams-neve.site/post/_botb

If you'd like to be put in contact with any of the Neve 8424 users, please send me a message and we'll pick up from there.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaton.joe ➡️
Hi, there are many worldwide 8424 users, and many more to come, some are GS members and have commented on other threads with their experience.

There are a select few user stories on the Neve.com website, each study details their unique console experience.

J-Studio - Taiwan

Thomas Statnik - USA

If you'd like to be put in contact with any of the Neve 8424 users, please send me a message and we'll pick up from there.
Hey Joe, I’ve enjoyed watching your vids on the 8424 and have read the artist pieces on the Neve website.

I’d really appreciate if you could do a follow up video to your series on the 8424 now that the DAW control and fader update has gone live
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hey Joe, I’ve enjoyed watching your vids on the 8424 and have read the artist pieces on the Neve website.

I’d really appreciate if you could do a follow up video to your series on the 8424 now that the DAW control and fader update has gone live
Thank you for the kind words. We will be putting a new video series together detailing DAW control in the next month or so. I'll be sure to post updates here as this progresses.

If you'd like any further information, please get in contact directly.

Regards,
JH
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Awesome, looking forward to it!
Here for the gear
Quote:

J-Studio - Taiwan

Thomas Statnik - USA

Thank you for your time in posting the user story links. I'm looking forward to seeing the videos detailing DAW control of the Neve 8424 when they come out.
I have a very keen eye on this console, hopfully when i have saved a bit more and checked out the daw control i can get one. It's the centre section and simplicity of use that pulls me towards this desk..
Keep up the good work at Neve
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music.man100 ➡️
Thank you for your time in posting the user story links. I'm looking forward to seeing the videos detailing DAW control of the Neve 8424 when they come out.
I have a very keen eye on this console, hopfully when i have saved a bit more and checked out the daw control i can get one. It's the centre section and simplicity of use that pulls me towards this desk..
Keep up the good work at Neve
No problem at all. Happy to help.

I'll post some video links in this thread once we have completed them. We're currently adding multiple DAW integration into the software in addition to a few extra features. All exciting stuff that really transforms the functionality of the 8424 console.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
No problem at all. Happy to help.

I'll post some video links in this thread once we have completed them. We're currently adding multiple DAW integration into the software in addition to a few extra features. All exciting stuff that really transforms the functionality of the 8424 console.
Hi Joe, good to see you posting here.

I really like the look of this console but Neve haven't done a great job of getting out any information about it - especially the DAW integration.

I'm trying to decide on one of these or the SSL Matrix, but the lack of information makes me nervous.

I've not been convinced by the build quality / reliability of some of them more recent stuff (8816 - I'm looking at you !) . And it seems that, months after release, NEVE are still struggling to get stuff working. The documentation on the website is pretty poor too.

I'm not trying to bash Neve - but your making it hard to make an informed buying decision. The devil is in the detail and if the DAW integration still isn't ready then it raises a bit of a red flag.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange ➡️
Hi Joe, good to see you posting here.

I really like the look of this console but Neve haven't done a great job of getting out any information about it - especially the DAW integration.

I'm trying to decide on one of these or the SSL Matrix, but the lack of information makes me nervous.

I've not been convinced by the build quality / reliability of some of them more recent stuff (8816 - I'm looking at you !) . And it seems that, months after release, NEVE are still struggling to get stuff working. The documentation on the website is pretty poor too.

I'm not trying to bash Neve - but your making it hard to make an informed buying decision. The devil is in the detail and if the DAW integration still isn't ready then it raises a bit of a red flag.
Hi,

Thank you for your question.

The Motorized fader upgrade isn't released to the public yet, we announced the upgrade in late 2020, with plans to be shipping to clients in April/May 2021. Our dealer network is fully aware of this and any clients who contact us directly are given further information.

Documentation, videos and other marketing materials will be published once the upgrade starts shipping.

We released the information of the planned upgrade option in 2020 so that our clients can plan their studios around this upgrade.

I am personally involved in the DAW integration and have been using it in our studio for the past few months, it really is a game-changer for the console.

If you'd like any further information on the specifics of the console, please get in contact with me directly and i'd be happy to help.

f
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

If you'd like any further information on the specifics of the console, please get in contact with me directly and i'd be happy to help.

That's great - although the early press releases seemed to say that the moving fader stuff was due last year ?

either way are you happy to answer questions here - I'm sure lot's of prospective buyers are interested ?

Here for the gear

Quote:
That's great - although the early press releases seemed to say that the moving fader stuff was due last year ?

either way are you happy to answer questions here - I'm sure lot's of prospective buyers are interested ?

Hi,

Yes, I think SOS mentioned that the upgrade will be available to clients to purchase, which is true as a pre-order option. However, there has been no official press release from us yet, Just some basic information on our website and channels about the upcoming option. Our dealers and direct clients are offered more information on request.

I'd be happy to answer a few questions here.

Kind regards,
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

I'd be happy to answer a few questions here.

Kind regards,

Thanks Joe, that straightens a few things out

FWIW the spec of the console look great - IF it delivers of course . I'm thinking of a console with a couple of 1073OPX and some 500 EQs. I haven't had a chance to see one in real life yet.

If you are shipping April/May - that's basically now so the spec should be locked down by now. So I'm gonna start the ball rolling

Looks like your using the moving faders from the Genesys ? These don't seem to have a channel select switches or DAW channel 'arm' switches - and are limited to 4 character 'scribble strips' is this the case ?

Does it support any kind of "SSL supercue" support - ie switching the channel from DAW to Artist on drop in ?

Does it support HUI and MCU ? Or does it have application specific support ?

Is there an "SSL delta" type plugin for analog console automation ?

Can you edit plugins etc - how is the parameter name displayed ?

I notice on the video here at 7:43
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEixYMoG7Mc
That level control pot looks decidedly wobbly and low quality, not really what I think of when it comes to classic NEVE, is that a preproduction model ?

I assume it's all SMD ? Is it totally built in the UK ?

Sorry to compare against SSL but that's who you are going head to head with I think.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thanks Joe, that straightens a few things out

FWIW the spec of the console look great - IF it delivers of course . I'm thinking of a console with a couple of 1073OPX and some 500 EQs. I haven't had a chance to see one in real life yet.

If you are shipping April/May - that's basically now so the spec should be locked down by now. So I'm gonna start the ball rolling

Looks like your using the moving faders from the Genesys ? These don't seem to have a channel select switches or DAW channel 'arm' switches - and are limited to 4 character 'scribble strips' is this the case ?

Does it support any kind of "SSL supercue" support - ie switching the channel from DAW to Artist on drop in ?

Does it support HUI and MCU ? Or does it have application specific support ?

Is there an "SSL delta" type plugin for analog console automation ?

Can you edit plugins etc - how is the parameter name displayed ?

I notice on the video here at 7:43
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEixYMoG7Mc
That level control pot looks decidedly wobbly and low quality, not really what I think of when it comes to classic NEVE, is that a preproduction model ?

I assume it's all SMD ? Is it totally built in the UK ?

Sorry to compare against SSL but that's who you are going head to head with I think.
Hi,

OK, happy to answer a few of those here.

The faders are similar to the Genesys yes, but not identical. We have Solo, Cut, Select and REC buttons available next to each fader. There are additional functions for these switches that can be accessed through various key modifiers in the centre section. Scribble strips are the same LCD screen used in the centre section of the console and can be used to display dual parameters such as DAW track name + send active/plugin parameter (abbreviated) etc.

The console does not have a 'Supercue' type system in place but does have full transport control with various extras.

We are supporting HUI and MCU, including Pro Tools, Logic and Cubase/Nuendo support, with the potential for many additional DAWs. This system includes the capability of working on multiple DAWs, flipping between systems at the push of a button with minimal setup, and some other easter eggs...

Since you mentioned the Delta, I guess you haven't checked out the Genesys Control Plugin? This gives total automation for the Genesys/Genesys Black console channel strips, master section, and processing.
Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wywxc_1aPPc

The 8424 automation will focus initially on DAW control but as you can see in the video above, we have the ability to digitally control a lot of our analogue gear, so something similar to the Genesys Control Plugin is certainly a possibility in the future for the 8424...

In the meantime, we are adding a feature called Active Faders, this will allow you to transpose the DAW automation onto the analogue layer of the console. This allows you to automate analogue fader levels while retaining the automation link to the DAW session.

We also have the new 8424 App which allows you to not only control up to three 1073OPX's remotely from the console surface but to save and load an infinite number of console recall stores directly from the DAW computer, these stores can be saved along with your DAW session so that everything is in one place.

You can control DAW plugins from the consoles VPots, as well as sends and pans, this is abbreviated and displayed on the channel scribble strip.

The pot in question is in a super-close-up view, almost filling the entire YouTube video window, so any 'wobble' is exaggerated, all of the pots are push-function so there is a little flex to them. We have had no complaints from our many users, who are very happy with the feel of the console.

The build uses a combination of our in-house SMT and hand-assembly methods by our skilled engineers. Everything is manufactured here in the UK from start to finish, including a rigorous three-stage testing phase, none of this is outsourced.

Kind regards,
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hi,

OK, happy to answer a few of those here.

The faders are similar to the Genesys yes, but not identical. We have Solo, Cut, Select and REC buttons available next to each fader. There are additional functions for these switches that can be accessed through various key modifiers in the centre section. Scribble strips are the same LCD screen used in the centre section of the console and can be used to display dual parameters such as DAW track name + send active/plugin parameter (abbreviated) etc.

The console does not have a 'Supercue' type system in place but does have full transport control with various extras.

We are supporting HUI and MCU, including Pro Tools, Logic and Cubase/Nuendo support, with the potential for many additional DAWs. This system includes the ability to working on multiple DAWs, flipping between systems at the push of a button with minimal setup, and some other easter eggs...

Since you mentioned the Delta, I guess you haven't checked out the Genesys Control Plugin? This gives total automation for the Genesys/Genesys Black console channel strips, master section, and processing.
Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wywxc_1aPPc

The 8424 automation will focus initially on DAW control but as you can see in the video above, we have the ability to digitally control a lot of our analogue gear, so something similar to the Genesys Control Plugin is certainly a possibility in the future for the 8424...

In the meantime, we are adding a feature called Active Faders, this will allow you to transpose the DAW automation onto the analogue layer of the console. This allows you to automate analogue fader levels while retaining the automation link to the DAW session.

We also have the new 8424 App which allows you to not only control up to three 1073OPX's remotely from the console surface but to save and load an infinite number of console recall stores directly from the DAW computer, these stores can be saved along with your DAW session so that everything is in one place.

You can control DAW plugins from the consoles VPots, as well as sends and pans, this is abbreviated and displayed on the channel scribble strip.

The pot in question is in a super-close-up view, almost filling the entire YouTube video window, so any 'wobble' is exaggerated, all of the pots are push-function so there is a little flex to them. We have had no complaints from our many users, who are very happy with the feel of the console.

The build uses a combination of our in-house SMT and hand-assembly methods by our skilled engineers. Everything is manufactured here in the UK from start to finish, including a rigorous three-stage testing phase, none of this is outsourced.

Kind regards,
fantastic - all sounds very positive. I'm looking forward to giving it a demo

There doesn't seem to be a lot of them 'in the wild' - do you have stock available at Neve HQ or are we in a backorder situation ?
Here for the gear

Quote:
fantastic - all sounds very positive. I'm looking forward to giving it a demo

There doesn't seem to be a lot of them 'in the wild' - do you have stock available at Neve HQ or are we in a backorder situation ?
No problem,

We currently have a very high demand for 8424 consoles and are working through our order list. Ill get in touch directly with some further information.

Kind regards,
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A couple more questions .... or observations

When operating in 'inline' console mode - looks like there is no option to split the aux sends. So the 'small fader' channel is volume/pan only, which is a shame.

Can't quite work out what input C is - there are already 2 channels per strip (A and B) and you can't use all 3 - so I can only assume that input C is only there so that those without patchbays can quickly reconfigure ? Personally I'd have rather seen that extra feature have been spent on shared aux - or another aux - or even better 8 busses...

FWIW I'm consciously avoiding that other thread about this console - Classic example of what "Gearspace" has become in recent years. Lot's of highly ignorant bedroom producers with very strong opinions about kit they have never used, don't understand and almost certainly can't afford. No wonder manufacturers don't want to engage. Although somebody kindly posted a link to the question of the 'wobbly pots'. Assuming they are the same as the Genesys then nothing to worry about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuSBOzLM3yQ
Here for the gear

Quote:
A couple more questions .... or observations

When operating in 'inline' console mode - looks like there is no option to split the aux sends. So the 'small fader' channel is volume/pan only, which is a shame.

Can't quite work out what input C is - there are already 2 channels per strip (A and B) and you can't use all 3 - so I can only assume that input C is only there so that those without patchbays can quickly reconfigure ? Personally I'd have rather seen that extra feature have been spent on shared aux - or another aux - or even better 8 busses...

FWIW I'm consciously avoiding that other thread about this console - Classic example of what "Gearspace" has become in recent years. Lot's of highly ignorant bedroom producers with very strong opinions about kit they have never used, don't understand and almost certainly can't afford. No wonder manufacturers don't want to engage. Although somebody kindly posted a link to the question of the 'wobbly pots'. Assuming they are the same as the Genesys then nothing to worry about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuSBOzLM3yQ
Hi,

I have a few answers for your questions/observations

In in-line mode, the stereo cue is used to bring back the monitor returns, either on a global or channel-by-channel basis, and since it returns through the cue bus, this cannot access the other aux sends. However, it can access the channel strip inserts which can be routed to either the channel (large) fader or cue pot (small fader).

Input C is used in 48 mix mode, similar to in-line mode but with an independent input coming into the cue (small fader). This allows you to being back an additional 24 returns from the DAW.

Input A (DAW return 1-24) and Input B (recording inputs 1-24) are fed into the channel strip, while Input C (DAW return 25-48) is fed into the cue (small fader).

Channel inputs must be A or B, but input C can come into the cue in parallel. So when working on large mixes, 48 mono signals can be mixed together, and again the channel inserts can be sent to either layer.

The Cue bus also uses Marinair transformer-coupled voltage mixing, allowing for all 48 mix inputs to benefit from the same high quality sound.

Thanks for the video link, I have seen that clip before, and yes, the pots are of the same design as the genesys aux pots.

Kind regards
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Input C is used in 48 mix mode, similar to in-line mode but with an independent input coming into the cue (small fader). This allows you to being back an additional 24 returns from the DAW.

Input A (DAW return 1-24) and Input B (recording inputs 1-24) are fed into the channel strip, while Input C (DAW return 25-48) is fed into the cue (small fader).

Channel inputs must be A or B, but input C can come into the cue in parallel. So when working on large mixes, 48 mono signals can be mixed together, and again the channel inserts can be sent to either layer.
I understand how you use input C - but using ILM ALSO gives you 48 inputs without using input C - ideally a 'fader flip' or equivalent button would be handy in ILM mode, allowing B to the cue and A to the main fader... That would be the traditional way to do it ? I'm trying to understand why there was a design decision made to have 3 inputs on each channel - can only assume it's a patching "set and forget" type thing.
Here for the gear

Quote:
I understand how you use input C - but using ILM ALSO gives you 48 inputs without using input C - ideally a 'fader flip' or equivalent button would be handy in ILM mode, allowing B to the cue and A to the main fader... That would be the traditional way to do it ? I'm trying to understand why there was a design decision made to have 3 inputs on each channel - can only assume it's a patching "set and forget" type thing.
Thats correct in a way, the distinction is between recording and mixing inputs, and to have convenience in choices without patching and re-patching between tracking and mixing.

You could have 48 inputs using input B (24 TRS connections) and then bring input A (D-Type) into the cue only. But in that mode your cue is only used for additional returns, so this would be purely a mixing setup that would have to be hard patched.

By having the additional input, you can use B exclusively for tracking 24 channels, with cue send active for performers, and if needed, bring in A over the top to monitor selected channels in-line if that's the way you like to work. This can all be done with simple button pushes.

When purely mixing, having A connected as mix returns 1-24 from the Interface gives you a full 24 mix inputs with full access to the channel strip, then you have an additional 24 returns for mixing larger sessions via input C. All mix inputs and direct outputs are D-Type, so minimal cabling to and from the interface.

It's a design feature aimed at speed of workflow, 48 mix is a one button push that activates a lot of internal routing.

The idea is that the 8424 can be used without a patchbay, allowing switches to handle the routing, this lets producers connect with existing studio cabling. However, larger, more advanced setups can still make use of a patchbay to enable even more flexibility.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
thanks Joe, that's kinda what I suspected

I'm curious as to how much of the internal routing could be changed/reconfigured in future firmware updates (not a question, just thinking aloud )

have a great weekend
Here for the gear

No problem at all, happy to answer your questions on the console. Have a great weekend too
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I’ll be posting a fuller experience soonish ... in short it’s incredible ...
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone using the new Neve 8424 mixer-80870164-07e5-4d55-b599-b3ec8be6064e.jpg  
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by matia ➡️
I’ll be posting a fuller experience soonish ... in short it’s incredible ...
Thanks matia, looking forward to any feedback and your experience of the 8424 desk.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

In that price I'd also check out the Harrison 950. Can be had for 15k used. 32 series EQ with 2 mix bus.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I’m following this closely as I’ll be opening a studio in a new building (and a new country) in 2023 and the Neve 8424 is on top of my list for the mixing desk.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So here's a bit more about my experience with the desk. A bit about my background: I grew up working in the studio world working as a sound designer and producer, then later mixer. I started my career working at Asphodel/RML which had a very large Neve VR with the Musgrave mods. I worked with people like M.I.A., Blixa Bargeld, Richard Devine, and many others in various capacities. After that, I worked out of Assault and Battery in London in the SSL room (Alpha Centauri). That was a big G series SSL. Following that I had my own studio with a studio partner where we did most of the first two INHALT records and that studio was based around a DNR Orion console. After that I moved most of my projects to Different Fur studios and worked out of the A room on an SSL E series console (Peter Baumann's "Machines of Desire" ...). Finally, all of this led me to my studio here in Los Angeles (Infinite Power Studios).

I work full time as a producer, mixer, artist (INHALT, Aphonia) and sound designer (Sequential, Akai, Roland, Novation ...). Most of the records I take on to produce I also mix. These tend to be projects for independent labels like Dais Records, Dark Entries Records, Cleopatra Records ... The other main part of my job is sound design for various synth companies. That part requires a critical listening facilities for products that are often still in development so it's an equal part needing great and clean monitoring as it is also recording for the purpose of reporting/documenting.

When designing my studio I really wanted a console to be the absolute centerpiece of everything that I do. I needed a desk that could effortlessly be the workhorse for any task that's part of my day to day work life. And also, it needed to be within the tradition and culture of what I am both used to working in and something I like (professional not home studios, large format consoles and large format workflows). My ears and workflow are tuned to a console and I'm used to working on the best of the best. So when the 8424 came out it really made me curious. Ultimately I soon realized that this was basically the exact desk for all of my needs.

After having it in front of me on several sessions and for several months, I can definitely say that the 8424 is in the tradition of a large format console. It's wrong to look at it as a summing mixer because it isn't, it's a console. It sounds like a console, it works like a console, it feels like a console and all of the facilities you expect on a console are there. The amount of thought that went into capturing that user experience is immediately evident as soon as you sit in front of the desk. Everything is where you expect it to be and more importantly it feels like you expect it to feel. I have my 8424 fully broken out on a patchbay because that's the way I work and personally, I feel it's best to do this to be able to do all of the big studio standard practices. And when you do, again everything is how you expect it to be. The inserts are always sending like on an SSL (which is what I'm largely used to) so that makes it possible to use them as additional FX sends for individual tracks. The four groups have insert sends and returns so you can use them to feed more signal to the mix bus or to address more processing. The cue bus is essentially a copy of the mix bus so you have two transformer coupled mix buses so the vocalist is hearing all the vibe you're hearing in the control room. The groups and cue bus also greatly decrease the time it takes to print stems because of their quality and integration (assign drums to the cue bus post fader, max the send, copy the panning to the little fader pan knob and print it while your print everything else with the groups and main mix bus). In short, there are so many different things that can be done with the routing and the ‘features’ of the console that anyone used to working on a larger console will feel right at home. The designers really need to be commended on this end as it’s the first time I’ve ever encountered something within the paradigm of “compact” achieve the functionality and attitude of “maximal”.

Workflow aside, ultimately the most critical aspect to me was the sound. And here is where I was most surprised. There is no doubt that every ounce of this desk is genuine Neve sound, however its a “new” Neve sound. And by new I mean that this desk punches much harder than any other Neve console I’ve encountered. It has this hybrid feel to it in that the line amps have the kind of cleanliness and precision that you would expect on a E or G SSL but the mixbus has that classic transformer 80-series sound that rounds out with natural compression the more signal that you push into it. Push harder into the mix bus and it naturally compresses in a way that only a large format console can. Back it off and you’re getting a vibey mix with the precision of “today”. It’s never sterile, it’s never boring, it’s always there as this charismatic entity worthy of the name and number printed on it. What impressed me the most was how the desk voices kicks and bass. I largely work in electronic music and this is a critical area for me, and the console has a very musical way of voicing this frequency spectrum. It’s pretty unreal how the kicks and bass are placed in the mix and it honestly takes work to muddy them up. I’m not saying the console mixes it for you, but I am saying that it’s much easier to do the work in this area because of it’s favorable voicing in a full mix. Snares punch super hard ( we had to work a lot to get that to happen on the VR), vocals come through with all the intelligence and brightness you expect from SSL but with a musical midrange I don’t hear on the E or G. Guitars tend to sound like “classic” Neve. I really fell for the sound hard. Furthermore, the main mix has an absolutely killer two band EQ and stereo width control. A friend who has a lot of experience mixing on Neves and SSL’s listened to the console on one session with me and we both concluded that the two band EQ has the capacity to make something sound “done” on a good mix. It’s very musical and tuned very well so that if your client wants the mix brighter, it’s one knob and it doesn’t sound like some kind of “post-processing”. I used the stereo width control on very full mixes to add just a touch of 3D-ness and space without adding any crazy phasing issues. In short, that section alone is something that I now cannot work without.

The monitoring is also exceptional. I really love how even the console sounds at any monitoring volume. Often times on much cheaper monitoring products if you start taking the volume way down, the playback starts to sound like its collapsing or sounding “smaller”. That doesn’t happen here ever. You can crank it or you can bring it way down and the mix sounds like the mix you expect it to.

The two 1073 preamps are also worthy of high praise. I love vintage 1073s and 1089s but you can’t use them on everything. That’s not the case here. Basically the preamps sound like a more modern take on a 1073 that have that same charisma and tone without the hinderance of darkness and cloudiness when tracking many instruments with them. If I want the bang on vintage 1073 vibe I have a BAE 1073 for that but I can’t multitrack with it. Here, I get the same vibe with a lot more clarity that it makes it possible to stack many, many tracks. And honestly, that’s exactly what I want out of a desk pre amp.

I think the initial shock that people felt when the desk was announced was largely due to the fact that no one HEARD the console. After one mix, I was in love. Again, the sound is genuine Neve with a modern edge.

I couldn’t be happier with the console and when I factor in the cost it makes total sense. Yes you can go and buy a vintage SSL or VR for similar money but … cost of maintenance, operational cost (I have a synclavier in my studio I know what power bills look like when you’re pulling real juice), things breaking down, things breaking down, having to stop because things breaking down, having to give free time because things breaking down, having to delay sessions you really need to get done because things breaking down … one of the smartest decisions I made was to bypass this. I could have bought a pristine SSL 4000E for how much I spent on the 8424 but for me, the 8424 came out on top. You’re getting the sound (to the letter) of a large format console with the workflow of a large format console in a more compact package, with full digital recall, and without any of the disadvantages of owning a vintage desk. This might not be for you, but for me I’m really happy I gave it a chance because it more than delivered. I’m happy to answer any questions on the desk and you can send me a DM on either of my instagram accounts:

http://www.instagram.com/inhalt.us
http://www.instagram.com/infinitepowerstudios

-matia
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone using the new Neve 8424 mixer-bcbc2fcd-e813-45f5-975f-d17c37927360.jpg  

Last edited by matia; 1 week ago at 04:35 AM..
📝 Reply