The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee symphony mkII AES in's & out's
Old 4th April 2021
Apogee symphony mkII AES in's & out's

I am trying to wrap my brain around using an AES db25 to XLR connection on my symphony, but I've noticed 4 male XLR's and 4 female XLR's, for input and output ?
so how on earth would I get 6 microphones into this ? or even 8 ?
Ive heard that these digital cables sound better as they are less congested in the mid's and the high frequencies ?
Attached Thumbnails
Apogee symphony mkII AES in's & out's-apogee.jpg   Apogee symphony mkII AES in's & out's-screen-shot-2021-04-04-11.16.47-am.png  
Old 4 weeks ago
Apogee Electronics

Hi!
The DB25 connector for AES on Symphony is used to transmit digital audio in AES3 format. An AES3 signal carries two channels of PCM audio, 4 connectors = 8 channels, a total of 8 inputs and 8 outputs. AES3 can be transmitted over XLR, BNC, and DB25 connectors.
Since AES only transmits digital audio, you won't be able to connect an analog gear directly to it and expect to get any signal.
To connect a mic to this particular Symphony configuration that you have attached as a thumbnail, you will need an analog cable (different pinout) that has DB25 to female XLR.
Here are the pinout configurations for Symphony: https://knowledgebase.apogeedigital....onfigurations/
Old 4 weeks ago
Thank you Greg, I get it now.
I was getting confused.
I’ve heard that using a digital cable in the analog inputs sounded better because of the ohms,
But AES is different then what I meant but thank you for the clarification:-)
Old 4 weeks ago
Greg I had one more question,i have a patch bay to help me have flexible routing with my gear, if I want to use the sends and returns on my mk2 to connect a compressor, would the sends from my mk2 go on the output row of my patch bay and the returns going to the input on the patch bay ?
also isn't it the same thing if wanted to use the apogee mic pre's and then go out of my mk2 into the compressor and then back into to the symphony ? why do I need to use the sends for this ?
I understand that when I am using the apogee mic preamps the send and returns go to the compressor before the a-d conversion.
thank you Greg
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Apogee Electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolcappetta ➡️
Greg I had one more question,i have a patch bay to help me have flexible routing with my gear, if I want to use the sends and returns on my mk2 to connect a compressor, would the sends from my mk2 go on the output row of my patch bay and the returns going to the input on the patch bay ?
also isn't it the same thing if wanted to use the apogee mic pre's and then go out of my mk2 into the compressor and then back into to the symphony ? why do I need to use the sends for this ?
I understand that when I am using the apogee mic preamps the send and returns go to the compressor before the a-d conversion.
thank you Greg
Hi! That's right, Sends are outputs and Returns are inputs.
As you said, the inserts on the A8MP module are used between channel's mic preamp and A/D conversion stage. So while inserts can send and return signal only for the analog inputs, they are not the same as analog outputs on an I/O module because you can send signals from software return (not just analog inputs).
Also, note that Insert does not create additional I/O as it is only part of the analog input path.
📝 Reply