The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cranborne Audio 500ADAT x Heritage Audio MCM8 MKII
Old 4th April 2021
Here for the gear

Cranborne Audio 500ADAT x Heritage Audio MCM8 MKII

Hey guys!

I’m about to get some analog warm for my cold ITB mixes. First thought is getting a mix buss compressor and some analog summing.

Then I found this units, the 500 ADAT and the MCM8. Both are summing + 500 racks, which is very cool and open a lot of possibilities. But yet I can’t decide which is better.

In one side with the 500 ADAT routings will be easy because of the digital signal, but I still love the MCM8 kinda neve tone and style + has 10 channels for summing. I think the 500R8 has better build quality.

Any ideas? or Even some suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 4th April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi-

Just to be sure-- there are 2 Cranborne Units- the 500 R8 and the 500 Adat

The R8 is a USB interface running 26 channels at 44.1K - 8 Analog, 2 Monitor out and Sum IN, and 16 ADAT

The 500 Adat is an 8 channel 500 series rack with 8 in and 8 out

I have never used the Heritage summer, but currently use the R8 and an 500 ADAT for 16 Channel I/O and summing. Sounds great and is rock solid with Pro Tools and Reaper-.

Best of Luck with your search!
Old 4th April 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Thanks, Budd,

Yeah, you're right. I was mentioning the Adat version, messed up the names, already fixed.
Old 11th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhaman ➡️
Hi-

Just to be sure-- there are 2 Cranborne Units- the 500 R8 and the 500 Adat

The R8 is a USB interface running 26 channels at 44.1K - 8 Analog, 2 Monitor out and Sum IN, and 16 ADAT

The 500 Adat is an 8 channel 500 series rack with 8 in and 8 out

I have never used the Heritage summer, but currently use the R8 and an 500 ADAT for 16 Channel I/O and summing. Sounds great and is rock solid with Pro Tools and Reaper-.

Best of Luck with your search!
Hey! Buddhaman! Could you share your experience with its summing capability?! does it sum good?!

I heard MCM-8 II gives a nice transformer mojo-ed summing, but curious about Cranborne ADAT summing result..?!
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunomulinario ➡️
Thanks, Budd,

Yeah, you're right. I was mentioning the Adat version, messed up the names, already fixed.
haha similar situation here, stepping into 500 series game for stem mixing for my cold ITB workflow.. and happened to check both MCM-8 II and Cranborne units!! still cannot decide...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Method Man ➡️
Hey! Buddhaman! Could you share your experience with its summing capability?! does it sum good?!

I heard MCM-8 II gives a nice transformer mojo-ed summing, but curious about Cranborne ADAT summing result..?!
my experience is that th Cranborne solution is clean, detailed, wide, warm and weighty-

I have enough transformers in my record path and mix path- each insert has either a TG Channel, an API 550b or a Heritage eq73jr, so there's enough added color.

Previously I have summed through a Great River MixMaster 20 (super weighty-the real deal), an ssl Sigma (Fast and punchy) and a RND 5060 Centerpiece (too soft for me, but euphonic)

I am by no means a professional, so take my evaluation with a grain of salt. My only complaint is that the Pots are not detented, so levels are approximate amongst stereo pairs, which can be pretty annoying...
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Wow, thanks Buddhaman! Wish I had your ears with experiences with those nice signal chains! awsome True, if initial signal chains add up analog colorization, Cranbone seems to be the perfect hardware insert unit that can be processed with ADAT with no fuss

Thank you

haha unfortunately other gears you have mentioned, I cannot afford them now lol (once I save up though), but those 500 units, I am very interested in getting them once I get myself a nice 500 rack unit, likely Cranborne 500ADAT

Yeah.. those 'un'-detented pots can be no good for perfect stereo matching... um.. maybe just put it at max...?
Centre should have been detented in my opinion... I guess.. some engineers prefer it to have not-so-perfectly matching level... back in the days, even consoles did not have detented faders/knobs right...?

But that being said, I also would love it if it were detented..
one of the reasons, why I am craving for, 'stereo' matching capable 500 units..? because some are just not capable, so u just gotta buy two, and manually match them... haha...

I still wonder how engineers overcome that fuss...?! (with units that do not have such capability, e.g. two pultec EQs.. or two 1176s... u know)
📝 Reply