The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bass chain
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyB ➡️
Avalon U5 had been mentioned, and I have come across that alongside the REDDI and the RNDI.
I have the "standard" Radial J48 and JRI options, but came across the HDI when looking at some of their other stuff to compare it for a friend with the Grace Design Felix I have for acoustic's with a PA ...
Never used that on a bass ... yet ...
That reminds me that radial makes or made a tube DI, I think it was called the firefly. A bassist I’ve done sound for had one and it sounds fantastic.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrufino1 ➡️
That reminds me that radial makes or made a tube DI, I think it was called the firefly. A bassist I’ve done sound for had one and it sounds fantastic.
It‘s still available and Al Schmitt was a famous user!

But as mentioned (somewhere earlier in this thread) it‘s a nuance for a lot of money to change from one quality DI to another ... practising our bass lines, dampening, different strings and different instruments + playing position can all be night & day in our results.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mucmusic ➡️
It‘s still available and Al Schmitt was a famous user!

But as mentioned (somewhere earlier in this thread) it‘s a nuance for a lot of money to change from one quality DI to another ... practising our bass lines, dampening, different strings and different instruments + playing position can all be night & day in our results.
I agree with that 100%, although I will say the distance between that DI and the radial JDI (which is what I usually used on him) is significant- they both sound great but they sound very different. He’s a great player, so that part was taken care of.

But yes, Fitefly or any DI/ processor won’t make up for playing deficiencies. I’m a bassist also and believe me, I’ve tried that route!
Gear Maniac

Quote:
practising our bass lines, dampening, different strings and different instruments + playing position can all be night & day in our results.
Bah.. sounds like too much work. I prefer to cut some corners and pay up!

But seriously, I think everybody here agrees with you. Still, those nuances you’re talking about count. My bass will still be my bass, my fingers will still be my fingers. But if, for a reasonable price (I’m not loaded) I can improve my sound I will.

Btw: I promised in an earlier post I wouldn’t buy any more gear, but the next day a used Avalon U5 popped out of nowhere at a great price (about a third of that of a new unit) so I couldn’t say no. I’m looking forward to try it and see if it’s as good as they say. Guess I’ll be returning the J48.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier ➡️
My old P-Bass likes to be plucked like a standup.
So do the chickens in my friend's yard.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➡️
So do the chickens in my friend's yard.
Really?
Gear Maniac

Any more opinions on the ISA two btw?
It’s not sold yet, and I consider letting the wa12 go and replace it.

Pros: stereo. Ok, technically dual mono but my guess is the channels are pretty close matched, and gainknobs are stepped. Big con, opens for a lot of uses (stereo synth, ac. guitar and so on). I’m planning to buy a couple of cheap KT compressors down the line, so it would be great to have an outboard stereo pre.
Price!

Cons: no output gain, so you can’t drive the input to much I imagine.
Does it sound that much better than the RME interface pres? Should I save up and buy something significantly better?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The ISA preamps are nice. The sound is clean and clear. You're correct that you can't drive the input on these; they're not meant for that kind of sound. Based on my experimentation with my preamps (which I realize are different from yours), I do think you'd notice an improvement over the RME's preamps, even for DI bass.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoopysnorp ➡️
The ISA preamps are nice. The sound is clean and clear. You're correct that you can't drive the input on these; they're not meant for that kind of sound. Based on my experimentation with my preamps (which I realize are different from yours), I do think you'd notice an improvement over the RME's preamps, even for DI bass.
Thanks!
So you can’t drive it. No biggie, I’m not looking for overdrive. But does it add some analogue mojo, even though it’s clean and clear? I’m planning to maybe use it as a front for synth. Some people roll their eyes when I suggest using preamps for synths, as they have line level output and all, but in my experience modern synths, including analog, can sound a bit cold and sterile and it can be a bit difficult to blend them with analog instruments like guitars. In studio I’ve sometimes used a miked up guitaramp for some warmth. I imagine a preamp could be used in the same manner.
So the ISA doesn’t saturate easily, but perhaps the different impedance settings provides some flexibility regarding ‘color’. I’m not sure how much impedance affects a line-level, though. I know for sure the tone (impedance+gain) switch on the WA12 does affect timbre a bit.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffegutt ➡️
Thanks!
So you can’t drive it. No biggie, I’m not looking for overdrive. But does it add some analogue mojo, even though it’s clean and clear? I’m planning to maybe use it as a front for synth. Some people roll their eyes when I suggest using preamps for synths, as they have line level output and all, but in my experience modern synths, including analog, can sound a bit cold and sterile and it can be a bit difficult to blend them with analog instruments like guitars. In studio I’ve sometimes used a miked up guitaramp for some warmth. I imagine a preamp could be used in the same manner.
So the ISA doesn’t saturate easily, but perhaps the different impedance settings provides some flexibility regarding ‘color’. I’m not sure how much impedance affects a line-level, though. I know for sure the tone (impedance+gain) switch on the WA12 does affect timbre a bit.
I borrowed my friends 4 channel isa strip for an album I recorded a few years ago and it was really nice. Very clear but had a nice weight to the sound.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I wouldn't say the ISA preamps have a lot of identifiable mojo going on. They're pretty clean. Not sterile, but faithful to the source. The impedance options do create some different shades for certain microphones, yeah.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have an ISA 1, I'm using it as my bass DI it does a great job.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
guys, I‘m out. it was pleasure and a great thread so far! lots of informations and ideas, even some sound examples

nothing personal but you (muffle) and we (slutz ... or spacers ) derail to whether a specific device is good for bass overall just because it‘s on reverb or ebay right now. At least I have no idea what‘s a good bass DI sound to lethem and what type of processing and mangling is applied afterwards to make it finally to our ears.

I‘d love to be able to photoshop a white steinberger headless into Lemmy‘s bass hands

a) ISAs are great clean workhorses. def no excuse for poor bass tracking.
b) if you really want any kind of mojo or secret sauce imprinted (and not applied afterwards) I would look somewhere else. The difference between an ISA and a RME Hi-Z recording is smaller IMHO than moving your right hand’s playing position a quarter of an inch up or down (even without practicing).
c) Personally I prefer a clean / direct / straight bass tone while tracking. It can be great in its own right or I‘m still able to apply amp, sat, dist, even fuzz later on. But as stated earlier in this thread I‘m pretty sure that you‘ll be quite happy with the ampeg sound for the track you posted.
d) over and out
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
guys, I‘m out. it was pleasure and a great thread so far! lots of informations and ideas, even some sound examples

nothing personal but you (muffle) and we (slutz ... or spacers ) derail to whether a specific device is good for bass overall just because it‘s on reverb or ebay right now. At least I have no idea what‘s a good bass DI sound to lethem and what type of processing and mangling is applied afterwards to make it finally to our ears.
Yeah...choice paralysis is a problem. So much of the gear that's out there these days is incredible compared to what was available twenty or thirty years ago. Much better to record some music than to obsess over minute differences.
Gear Maniac

It was a great ride! It's been a pleasure to make your acquaintance, sir!

Quote:
nothing personal but you (muffle) and we (slutz ... or spacers ) derail to whether a specific device is good for bass overall just because it‘s on reverb or ebay right now.
Guilty as charged! In fact I've been derailing all over the place in this thread, and I've had great fun too!
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yeah...choice paralysis is a problem. So much of the gear that's out there these days is incredible compared to what was available twenty or thirty years ago. Much better to record some music than to obsess over minute differences.
Agreed! I can't believe the quality of the recordings I can make in the comfort of my own home these days. 30 years ago I was making music on an Amiga 1200. Great machine! 4 channels, 8 bits samples, 22k max I believe into a ****ty sampler. Made some great tunes, though!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffegutt ➡️
Agreed! I can't believe the quality of the recordings I can make in the comfort of my own home these days. 30 years ago I was making music on an Amiga 1200. Great machine! 4 channels, 8 bits samples, 22k max I believe into a ****ty sampler. Made some great tunes, though!
In the late '90s when I was starting to mess with recording, all I had was a Tascam 4-track reel-to-reel and an awful little mixer. And I was lucky to have it!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Sometimes I'll pull up some recordings done on the oft maligned 90s blackface ADAT-Mackie chain and.. not so bad really. No "MOJO' I suppose, but with some decent mics it's pretty decent.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
In the late '90s when I was starting to mess with recording, all I had was a Tascam 4-track reel-to-reel and an awful little mixer. And I was lucky to have it!
Had a Fostex myself in addition to the Amiga. It’s funny, but sometimes I feel like the boundaries we had back then were like catalysators for creativity. It’s like your workflow or whatever was set, and that freed up more energy to focus on the content.
4 tracks? 1 for drums, 2 for bass, 3 for chords of some kind, 4 for lead. Go!
Now, with seemingly endless possibilities I sometimes feel like ‘Where do I begin?’, if you know what I mean.

Man, I sound old!
📝 Reply