The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bass chain
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley ➡️
The ISAs have a Lundahl input Xformer IIRC. Which I may not. And no output Xformer?

I do enjoy tubes and Xformers on bass DI chain. Yesterday I recorded a bassist for a blues project. Great bassist, she played a late 80s Fender P Bass and I ran the signal thru UA 6176, just the 610 side, into a vintage STA Level that I recently got serviced and added the the release mod. Added a little bit of Neve 1084 EQ and got a THICK tone, sounded great! I will try to post an example when I am back in the studio.
I bet that sounds incredible, I look forward to some clips! I am guessing, without hearing of course, that the sound you got approaches Jerry Jemmott with BB King type sounds, which is some of my favorite bass playing ever.
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoopysnorp ➡️
Hmm...after experimenting a bit, I think I might have to walk back what I said about the ISA preamps probably not being that different from the RME preamps for DI bass. I recorded three short clips into one of my Fireface 800's preamps and then again into a Seventh Circle A12. The chain is my 1976 Univox Rick 4001 copy into a bass overdrive (homemade, supposedly based on the Bearfoot Blueberry Bass OD) into a JDI. The first clip is played with fingers with the pedal bypassed, the second with the OD engaged with just a hair of gain, and the third played with a pick with the gain turned up. It's not the same performance in each preamp, so there are little differences. The results are interesting, I think...it's clear to me which one sounds the best, but I'd be interested to hear opinions.
I bet Preamp 2 is more fun to play through because of the enhanced low end. I also bet it would sit it most mixes slightly better for the same reason.

But just listening "solo" like this, they both sound "good."

I am impressed that the RME can hang with the SCA A12 like that. Something about RME, always impressive, want to own one, someday.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx ➡️
I am impressed that the RME can hang with the SCA A12 like that. Something about RME, always impressive, want to own one, someday.
It should be mentioned that to get a roughly equivalent input level, the FF pre's gain is at 3:00, while the A12's gain is at 11:00.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
$ummit Audio TLA-100A ($ key I$ broken, new keyboard on the way).
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I bet Preamp 2 is more fun to play through because of the enhanced low end. I also bet it would sit it most mixes slightly better for the same reason.
Depending on the music, it might make me play "shorter," cutting off notes tighter to keep from muddying up the bottom end of of the mix.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

So ... to summarise...
Bass -> Hi-Z on interface -> DAW
Bass -> Hi-Z on interface -> Amp Sim in DAW
Bass -> Hi-Z on interface with Amp Sim -> DAW
Bass -> DI box -> DAW
Bass -> DI box -> mic preamp -> DAW
Bass -> DI box -> mic preamp -> Amp Sim in DAW
Bass -> DI box -> mic preamp with Amp Sim -> DAW
Bass -> Amp Sim hardware -> DAW
Bass -> Amp Sim hardware -> line input ->DAW
Bass -> instrument preamp -> line input -> DAW
Bass -> instrument preamp -> line input with amp sim -> DAW
Bass -> instrument preamp -> line input -> Amp sim in DAW

Are those our options for recording without an amp (assuming you can add things like compression as hardware and/or software to any parts of those chains)?

Last edited by TobyB; 1 week ago at 06:12 PM.. Reason: Monkeyxx correction!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I think mine would be Bass - DI box - Mic Preamp - Interface/DAW. No amp sim.

The split there being an external mic preamp, a separate DI box, not related to the interface.

Not to overemphasize my own view just that it's not in your list as I read it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You are right ... I meant to have included that ... edited the list ...
B)
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hmm...after experimenting a bit, I think I might have to walk back what I said about the ISA preamps probably not being that different from the RME preamps for DI bass. I recorded three short clips into one of my Fireface 800's preamps and then again into a Seventh Circle A12. The chain is my 1976 Univox Rick 4001 copy into a bass overdrive (homemade, supposedly based on the Bearfoot Blueberry Bass OD) into a JDI. The first clip is played with fingers with the pedal bypassed, the second with the OD engaged with just a hair of gain, and the third played with a pick with the gain turned up. It's not the same performance in each preamp, so there are little differences. The results are interesting, I think...it's clear to me which one sounds the best, but I'd be interested to hear opinions.
Let me see if I get this straight:

Preamp 1 could be Fireface or SC. Same goes for preamp 2.
Flat = Fingers, OD b/p
Goosed = Fingers, OD low gain
Distorted = Pick, OD pedal to the metal

If this was a song by Audioslave I think I would prefer
PRE 2 goosed in the verse and PRE1 w/OD for the chorus.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyB ➡️
So ... to summarise...
Bass -> DI box -> DAW

Are those our options for recording without an amp (assuming you can add things like compression as hardware and/or software to any parts of those chains)?
And if you generated a wordcloud from this thread "the hands of the player" would tower over all of these options
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
So ... to summarise...
Bass -> DI box -> DAW

Thats a lotta options.

Last edited by vernier; 1 week ago at 09:25 PM..
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroko ➡️
$ummit Audio TLA-100A ($ key I$ broken, new keyboard on the way).
$ummit Audio.. $ound$ expen$ive! (and it is, right?)
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Tech21 vt bass di to studer preamp to ad16x to rme dynamics to C10
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrufino1 ➡️
I bet that sounds incredible, I look forward to some clips! I am guessing, without hearing of course, that the sound you got approaches Jerry Jemmott with BB King type sounds, which is some of my favorite bass playing ever.
I bet it sounds great, too! I'm not sure I can afford to listen to those clips, if you know what I mean

In the words of the OP (guess that's me): "what is a good and affordable chain for tracking bass in a home studio?"
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffegutt ➡️
Let me see if I get this straight:

Preamp 1 could be Fireface or SC. Same goes for preamp 2.
Flat = Fingers, OD b/p
Goosed = Fingers, OD low gain
Distorted = Pick, OD pedal to the metal

If this was a song by Audioslave I think I would prefer
PRE 2 goosed in the verse and PRE1 w/OD for the chorus.
Correct.

I'll go ahead and spill the beans: preamp 1 is the A12, preamp 2 is the RME. I thought that on the lower-gain settings, they sounded different but both pretty good, but that the RME got kind of harsh with the overdrive tone. I didn't think it would be that big of a difference, honestly.
Lives for gear

Quote:
And if you generated a wordcloud from this thread "the hands of the player" would tower over all of these options
I thought that was a given. B)
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier ➡️
Thats a lotta of options.
Well ... that's what you can read out of the length of the thread!
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think mine would be Bass - DI box - Mic Preamp - Interface/DAW. No amp sim.
Out of interest, would that include a "DI-plus" option, for instance the Radial HDI instead of their J48? A DI-equivalent of a pre-amp channel strip? Don't recall such options have been discussed much here.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Btw, other than player technique, its the individual instrument that makes the way most difference.

Try a few signal chains. Then try switching the bass instrument.

The instrument is the game-changer.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Btw, other than player technique, its the individual instrument that makes the way most difference.

Try a few signal chains. Then try switching the bass instrument.

The instrument is the game-changer.
Of course! You're stating the obvious, my friend!

But see, a few months ago I inherited a '68 P-bass, lucky me! I'm not going to switch that! In fact I just sold my mexican P from '05, and I doubt that I'll ever regret that.
Just trying to do justice to what some divine force miraculously laid upon my table without breaking the bank!
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Out of interest, would that include a "DI-plus" option, for instance the Radial HDI instead of their J48? A DI-equivalent of a pre-amp channel strip? Don't recall such options have been discussed much here.
Yeah, I never tried the HDI myself, but it could be a fine box indeed. No one in this thread has mentioned it, though.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Correct.

I'll go ahead and spill the beans: preamp 1 is the A12, preamp 2 is the RME. I thought that on the lower-gain settings, they sounded different but both pretty good, but that the RME got kind of harsh with the overdrive tone. I didn't think it would be that big of a difference, honestly.
In my opinion the OD through the RME was a bit thin, not necessarily harsh, but maybe that's what you would call it. But again, IMO the 'clean channel' sounded better through the RME.
I'm not sure if the pres in my UCX are the same as yours, though. Our instruments are different, anyway, so maybe a direct comparison is out of the question?
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I thought that was a given. B)
My hands are given for sure. No luck changing that!
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I bet it sounds great, too! I'm not sure I can afford to listen to those clips, if you know what I mean

In the words of the OP (guess that's me): "what is a good and affordable chain for tracking bass in a home studio?"
Speaking of money: During the last few days I've sold some stuff, bought a new computer, upgraded to Cubase pro and ordered a Radial J48 like I said I would.
I don't think I'll buy a new preamp this month
Maybe I'll post some new clips using the J48, though.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
In my opinion the OD through the RME was a bit thin, not necessarily harsh, but maybe that's what you would call it. But again, IMO the 'clean channel' sounded better through the RME.
I'm not sure if the pres in my UCX are the same as yours, though. Our instruments are different, anyway, so maybe a direct comparison is out of the question?
Right, but at least this comparison should help shed light on the kind of differences people might hear between decent built-in interface preamps and good outboard preamps.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Of course! You're stating the obvious, my friend!

But see, a few months ago I inherited a '68 P-bass, lucky me! I'm not going to switch that! In fact I just sold my mexican P from '05, and I doubt that I'll ever regret that.
Just trying to do justice to what some divine force miraculously laid upon my table without breaking the bank!
Not obvious to those who haven't tried different gear and instruments.

But anyway, congrats on the '68 ...and yeah, good idea to construct a chain that will maximize its potential.
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Interesting, yeah that one throws a slight curve ball. But I guess there might be a whole catgegory of these, DI units with line outputs. Avalon U5 being another, very popular, one.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Not obvious to those who haven't tried different gear and instruments.

But anyway, congrats on the '68 ...and yeah, good idea to construct a chain that will maximize its potential.
Thanks! Great instrument, which I'll keep until I'm all out of breath, and then I'll pass it to my sons.

I may be guilty of stating the obvious myself, but as I see it the difference between a quality instrument like this and the mexican I sold (which by all means was a decent bass as well) lies not primarily in the pickups and the electronics, but in the neck, the intonation and tune, the solid wood of the body and the general 'feel' of it. All factors that helps my sore hands getting the most out of the tone, more so than any preamp. But still, everybody wants the best gear their money can buy, right?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Avalon U5 had been mentioned, and I have come across that alongside the REDDI and the RNDI.
I have the "standard" Radial J48 and JRI options, but came across the HDI when looking at some of their other stuff to compare it for a friend with the Grace Design Felix I have for acoustic's with a PA ...
Never used that on a bass ... yet ...
Lives for gear
Quote:
I just sold my mexican P from '05, and I doubt that I'll ever regret that.
It can be cool to have two P-basses so you can have flats on one and rounds on the other, even if one of them is a MIM.
📝 Reply