The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Interface Versus Digital/Mixer Recorder
Old 3rd April 2021
  #1
Lives for gear
 
JL1000's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Interface Versus Digital/Mixer Recorder

Though I am a one-man band type, recording one instrument at a time, I was thinking of setting up my home studio as if I were recording a band. It would be nice, I think, to be able to just hop on any instrument, and have it all set and ready to record, miked up, correct levels, EQ'd, pre-mixed, etc.

So I probably would need 12 to 16 channels. I have some outboard pres, so maybe something with at least 8 pres, and 4 to 8 line inputs. But also be able to record midi if needed.

Any ideas on the best and most affordable way to go about this?
Old 3rd April 2021
  #2
It's entirely personal preference.

A DAW and interface with enough IO is a great option. So is a mixer, recorder, interface like a Zoom Livetrak or Tascam Model. The main difference is that the interface will probably achieve slightly better latency for live monitoring through the DAW, but the recorder/mixer can record with the computer complete off or in a different location and you can then load the files into a DAW later for processing, editing and mixing.

Recording MIDI is the rub though. That's a DAW job for most people. And an interface with actual full sized MIDI ports on the back is convenient. It's always best to have more IO than you currently need as up to a point it doesn't cost that much more and saves you from having to upgrade everything later.

Assuming you have a decent computer, I think the sensible entry point for your requirement would be a Behringer UMC1820 (~$250) and a Behringer ADA8200 (~$200) operated with Reaper ($60) or Cakewalk (free). Just set up a template in the DAW for your channels, EQ, busses, compressors etc and you will do fine.
Old 3rd April 2021
  #3
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
I use a Behringer XR18 - 16 XLR combo inputs, all sorts of DSP on board. Everything is plugged in, set to the proper EQ etc.
When I head out to record live I pull the cables, slap it into my toolbox, and do the live gig. When I do live I record all the channels to an iPad running Auria Pro (24-track)
Old 5th April 2021 | Show parent
  #4
Lives for gear
 
JL1000's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambiguous signal ➡️
It's entirely personal preference.

A DAW and interface with enough IO is a great option. So is a mixer, recorder, interface like a Zoom Livetrak or Tascam Model. The main difference is that the interface will probably achieve slightly better latency for live monitoring through the DAW, but the recorder/mixer can record with the computer complete off or in a different location and you can then load the files into a DAW later for processing, editing and mixing.

Recording MIDI is the rub though. That's a DAW job for most people. And an interface with actual full sized MIDI ports on the back is convenient. It's always best to have more IO than you currently need as up to a point it doesn't cost that much more and saves you from having to upgrade everything later.

Assuming you have a decent computer, I think the sensible entry point for your requirement would be a Behringer UMC1820 (~$250) and a Behringer ADA8200 (~$200) operated with Reaper ($60) or Cakewalk (free). Just set up a template in the DAW for your channels, EQ, busses, compressors etc and you will do fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by facej ➡️
I use a Behringer XR18 - 16 XLR combo inputs, all sorts of DSP on board. Everything is plugged in, set to the proper EQ etc.
When I head out to record live I pull the cables, slap it into my toolbox, and do the live gig. When I do live I record all the channels to an iPad running Auria Pro (24-track)
Thanks for the recommendations. Had not considered Behringer. Those all look like pretty good deals!

If I went the UMC1820/ADA8200 route, what sort of computer would I need to be able to record with low latency and runs effects at the same time?

Is there any advantage to that route over the XR18 route?

Thanks!
Old 6th April 2021 | Show parent
  #5
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL1000 ➡️
Thanks for the recommendations. Had not considered Behringer. Those all look like pretty good deals!

If I went the UMC1820/ADA8200 route, what sort of computer would I need to be able to record with low latency and runs effects at the same time?

Is there any advantage to that route over the XR18 route?

Thanks!
You’re probably better off with the xr18. My friend was looking for one recently and we found that the Midas mr18 was only $50 more, so you might want to go for that if the preamps in the mr18 are the same as what is in the dl16 stagebox. The preamps in my dl16 are better than the ones in my x32 rack. The x32 preamps are fine but the Midas are noticeably better. Plus, you can control monitor mixes, routing, etc, with your tablet or an x-touch if you want, which could be handy in sessions. And you’ll be able to monitor with effects without burdening your computer at all.
Old 6th April 2021
  #6
Gear Guru
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL1000 ➡️
Interface Versus Digital/Mixer Recorder Though I am a one-man band type, recording one instrument at a time, I was thinking of setting up my home studio as if I were recording a band.
If you were recording a band, and somebody messed up, you might just play it again. Go for whole takes for the most part. If you are overdubbing yourself, you may want to edit, punch, playlist, comp etc. which is going to be problematical on a digital mixer with a recording feature. The tiny screen. The menu-diving.

You can dump everything into the DAW for editing, but again it is one thing if you recorded everything all at the same time at a live show or whatever. As a one-man band overdubbing every track, that is going to be a lot of back and forth between the digital mixer/recorder and the DAW. Or a lot of pressure to be a One Taker.

Quote:
It would be nice, I think, to be able to just hop on any instrument, and have it all set and ready to record, miked up, correct levels, EQ'd, pre-mixed, etc.
This could be done with an interface or a stand alone. The limiting factor is not Interface vs Digital mixer, but simply having enough inputs, and enough mics to leave them all set up permanently.

Unfortunately for me, my favorite outside kick mic is also one of my preferred vocal mics. Unless I buy two, I can't "leave it set up" on the drums 24/7. This same issue exists with other mics, outboard preamps, hardware compressors and so on that I own. .

That aspect of it could get expensive.
Old 6th April 2021
  #7
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
If I understood the original question, it was referring to using a digital mixer as an interface to a DAW.
Old 6th April 2021 | Show parent
  #8
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrufino1 ➡️
If I understood the original question, it was referring to using a digital mixer as an interface to a DAW.
My XR18 is the interface to my DAW for recording purposes, as well as "re-amping" recorded tracks passed back through the XR18 where mixer DSP and effects can be applied.

I have an 18x18 USB audio interface to my computer and an 18 channel mixer (16+aux) for working things out. A wonderful combination
Old 7th April 2021 | Show parent
  #9
Lives for gear
 
JL1000's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➡️
If you were recording a band, and somebody messed up, you might just play it again. Go for whole takes for the most part. If you are overdubbing yourself, you may want to edit, punch, playlist, comp etc. which is going to be problematical on a digital mixer with a recording feature. The tiny screen. The menu-diving.

You can dump everything into the DAW for editing, but again it is one thing if you recorded everything all at the same time at a live show or whatever. As a one-man band overdubbing every track, that is going to be a lot of back and forth between the digital mixer/recorder and the DAW. Or a lot of pressure to be a One Taker.



This could be done with an interface or a stand alone. The limiting factor is not Interface vs Digital mixer, but simply having enough inputs, and enough mics to leave them all set up permanently.

Unfortunately for me, my favorite outside kick mic is also one of my preferred vocal mics. Unless I buy two, I can't "leave it set up" on the drums 24/7. This same issue exists with other mics, outboard preamps, hardware compressors and so on that I own. .

That aspect of it could get expensive.
I will have to buy a few utility mics.

The main goal is to just be able to concentrate on the performance and source, and think as little as possible about the technical side.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mrufino1 ➡️
If I understood the original question, it was referring to using a digital mixer as an interface to a DAW.
Yes. I was thinking that maybe having a mixer/controller with knobs, etc., could make life easier. Something, I think, like the Tascam Model 12 or Zoom LiveTrak something or other. And I think those have effects (reverb, EQ, compression), too, which could be nice for tracking. Plus, if I wanted to record in another room or somewhere else, those should work easily for that as well (I assume).

But if a template in a DAW could work just as well, no latency, than maybe that would work. Not sure if one sacrifices quality on those mixers, seeing as you seem to get a free "controller" along with your interface.


Quote:
Originally Posted by facej ➡️
My XR18 is the interface to my DAW for recording purposes, as well as "re-amping" recorded tracks passed back through the XR18 where mixer DSP and effects can be applied.

I have an 18x18 USB audio interface to my computer and an 18 channel mixer (16+aux) for working things out. A wonderful combination
That does seem pretty good...although I see no knobs! I guess you control it digitally, software on your computer, or a wifi thing...phone or tablet?

Thanks all.
Old 7th April 2021 | Show parent
  #10
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL1000 ➡️
I will have to buy a few utility mics.

The main goal is to just be able to concentrate on the performance and source, and think as little as possible about the technical side.




Yes. I was thinking that maybe having a mixer/controller with knobs, etc., could make life easier. Something, I think, like the Tascam Model 12 or Zoom LiveTrak something or other. And I think those have effects (reverb, EQ, compression), too, which could be nice for tracking. Plus, if I wanted to record in another room or somewhere else, those should work easily for that as well (I assume).

But if a template in a DAW could work just as well, no latency, than maybe that would work. Not sure if one sacrifices quality on those mixers, seeing as you seem to get a free "controller" along with your interface.




That does seem pretty good...although I see no knobs! I guess you control it digitally, software on your computer, or a wifi thing...phone or tablet?

Thanks all.
You can control the xr18/ mr18 with a tablet (android or iPad), the xair edit program on win, Mac, or Linux (even a raspberry pi version I think- or at least there is for x32 edit), and the x-touch controller, which has a mode called xctl that works directly with the x18, xr18, x32, and all of the Midas counterparts. X-touch also is a mackie controller, so mine has been very handy live and in the studio. I just wish the extender also worked with the mixers in xctl mode so I could add one and have 16 faders live.

If you decide to get it (and get the mr18 for only $50 more, the preamps are definitely better) and you use a tablet, then get mixing station pro for whichever tablet you use- I’ve bought that for android, kindle fire, and iOS and is well worth it. You can make custom layouts, which is awesome. I don’t really like the stock behringer app, too much clicking around to get to things for me.
Old 7th April 2021 | Show parent
  #11
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL1000 ➡️
I will have to buy a few utility mics.

The main goal is to just be able to concentrate on the performance and source, and think as little as possible about the technical side.


That does seem pretty good...although I see no knobs! I guess you control it digitally, software on your computer, or a wifi thing...phone or tablet?

Thanks all.
The XR18 is controlled mostly through applications - PC/Mac, iOS, Android. I find the PC software (same tool on Mac, which I use) the easiest to use. When I am doing live recording I connect the XR18 to my private wireless router, USB connection to an iPad that works as 24-track recorder (I only record 18 ;-) ).

Control surfaces - iPad, Android, and my full mixer running on my laptop - are all connected via WiFi to the private network. If I wanted to be fully involved I would drag along my X-Touch and connect that via WiFi (or cable to the router) and mix with faders and knobs. Reality is for live the laptop or an iPad are my go to devices. I adjust levels and EQ walking around the room with a tablet.
Old 7th April 2021 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
The MR18 is essentially the same as the XR18, but better quality preamps (the XR18 is no slouch). The other benefit of the MR18 is the 10 year warranty! Definitely worth the extra $50 over the XR18
Old 7th April 2021 | Show parent
  #13
Gear Guru
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL1000 ➡️
The main goal is to just be able to concentrate on the performance and source, and think as little as possible about the technical side.
Pre-pandemic, I would say about half of my clients at my studio were people who owned a recording rig of their own, even might have owned a very nice microphone, but wanted to think as little as possible about the technical side.

And FWIW, because it is my job and something I do for many different customers, not just 'myself', I am way faster at operating the equipment than they are, even if they did not also have to sing and play.

Quote:
I will have to buy a few utility mics.
Jon Brion, who produced people like Aimee Mann, Kanye West, Fiona Apple has this same philosophy of having all the instruments fully set up and ready to record so he can instantly jump from one to the next as creativity strikes. I think it is a terrific approach (second only to hiring a band and rehearsing them before starting recording) but he is working in top of the line, world-class studios that have '5 of everything' - including the most desirable microphones.

I am just too much of a perfectionist about my sonics to do this on my budget. I am constantly using my 2 expensive tube preamps over and over at every opportunity. Constantly 'stealing' my floor tom mic because it would be "just the thing" I am looking for on acoustic bass or whatever.

If I win the lottery, this is certainly something I would do. But at my financial level, I follow a 'golden channel' philosophy, which is almost the opposite. I put big investment into one or two great, versatile mics, one or two great versatile preamps and then use them for many different instruments.

One idea you might want to think about is setting up a patch bay so that you can insert outboard into any channel any time you need to with a minimum amount of fuss.
Old 8th April 2021 | Show parent
  #14
Lives for gear
 
JL1000's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by facej ➡️
The XR18 is controlled mostly through applications - PC/Mac, iOS, Android. I find the PC software (same tool on Mac, which I use) the easiest to use. When I am doing live recording I connect the XR18 to my private wireless router, USB connection to an iPad that works as 24-track recorder (I only record 18 ;-) ).

Control surfaces - iPad, Android, and my full mixer running on my laptop - are all connected via WiFi to the private network. If I wanted to be fully involved I would drag along my X-Touch and connect that via WiFi (or cable to the router) and mix with faders and knobs. Reality is for live the laptop or an iPad are my go to devices. I adjust levels and EQ walking around the room with a tablet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by facej ➡️
The MR18 is essentially the same as the XR18, but better quality preamps (the XR18 is no slouch). The other benefit of the MR18 is the 10 year warranty! Definitely worth the extra $50 over the XR18
Looking at videos of this on youtube, the idea is starting to appeal to me. Being able to move about with a tablet and control everything.


Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➡️
Pre-pandemic, I would say about half of my clients at my studio were people who owned a recording rig of their own, even might have owned a very nice microphone, but wanted to think as little as possible about the technical side.

And FWIW, because it is my job and something I do for many different customers, not just 'myself', I am way faster at operating the equipment than they are, even if they did not also have to sing and play.



Jon Brion, who produced people like Aimee Mann, Kanye West, Fiona Apple has this same philosophy of having all the instruments fully set up and ready to record so he can instantly jump from one to the next as creativity strikes. I think it is a terrific approach (second only to hiring a band and rehearsing them before starting recording) but he is working in top of the line, world-class studios that have '5 of everything' - including the most desirable microphones.

I am just too much of a perfectionist about my sonics to do this on my budget. I am constantly using my 2 expensive tube preamps over and over at every opportunity. Constantly 'stealing' my floor tom mic because it would be "just the thing" I am looking for on acoustic bass or whatever.

If I win the lottery, this is certainly something I would do. But at my financial level, I follow a 'golden channel' philosophy, which is almost the opposite. I put big investment into one or two great, versatile mics, one or two great versatile preamps and then use them for many different instruments.

One idea you might want to think about is setting up a patch bay so that you can insert outboard into any channel any time you need to with a minimum amount of fuss.
I do have some decent outboard preamps, and one thing about the MR18 that I'm not clear on is the line ins...seems they would go through the preamps. Not sure if that would make much difference or not.

But if the Midas preamps are good, maybe I'm over having outboard preamps anyway! Selling them would pay for this with plenty of money left over.

Good idea on a patch bay, although I suppose with the MR-18, I wouldn't need one.
Old 8th April 2021
  #15
Gear Nut
 
Tom Hicks's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I bought an xr18 for mixing live gigs with my band. But I have also used it as an interface with both my IMac running Catalina and my Windows 10 Thinkpad laptop.

Using it as a recording interface you get 16 xlr/balanced line ins on combi jacks, 6 separate mono or 3 stereo monitor-foldback mixes for the performers, and 4 dsp fx engines for verb - delay - chorus etc.

I have an old BCF2000 fader pack which I use in Mackie emulation mode with Mixing Station Pro on a tablet so I can choose hands on faders, buttons and knobs or touchscreen pinch - tap for EQs etc.
Old 8th April 2021 | Show parent
  #16
Lives for gear
 
JL1000's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hicks ➡️

Using it as a recording interface you get 16 xlr/balanced line ins on combi jacks,
Can you plug outboard preamps into those, or is that a preamp into a preamp?

Searching around on that, I've seen mixed messages....some saying the TRS bypasses the preamp, some say it doesn't, but it's no big deal.

Thanks.
Old 8th April 2021 | Show parent
  #17
Gear Nut
 
Tom Hicks's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL1000 ➡️
Can you plug outboard preamps into those, or is that a preamp into a preamp?

Searching around on that, I've seen mixed messages....some saying the TRS bypasses the preamp, some say it doesn't, but it's no big deal.

Thanks.
I doubt you can bypass the pres. But if they are down at zero, not sure how that would color your sound, if at all. They certainly accept line level inputs.

Also, I forgot to mention inputs17 and 18 on balanced 1/4" jacks. Paired as stereo which I use for break music between sets.
Old 9th April 2021
  #18
Lives for gear
 
DirkP's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Have a look at the Tascam Model 12. It is the only actual device with Midi.
It only works as a MTC and clock master, not as a slave, but works good with my MPC live, Microkorg, 808 etc.

6 mono and 2 stereo channels, 8 mic preamps, 2 aux busses, 1 sub out in stereo No aux-returns! You have to use channels for this!
Multi-channel sd-card recording directly after the inputs or after eq and comps. Simultaneously records to a DAW if needed. The larger Model 16 and 24 are very similar looking, but analog mixers, no midi and no DAW-control. If you sometimes need more channels or other devices connected, buy a cheap patchbay (but don't forget the money for some additonal cables).
I really dig it and my usecase seems to be quite similar: having effects, synths, guitars, basses, my preamps permanently connected. Just switch the mixer on and you're ready to make music and record it, if you want. No computer needed, no new connections if you want to use a different synth or effect-chain... The most convenient setup I ever had.
Old 9th April 2021 | Show parent
  #19
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP ➡️
Have a look at the Tascam Model 12. It is the only actual device with Midi.
The XR18 has DIN MIDI IN/OUT connections as well as doing MIDI through USB. You can configure it to pass through the DIN jacks to the USB and to a DAW.
Old 9th April 2021 | Show parent
  #20
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL1000 ➡️
Can you plug outboard preamps into those, or is that a preamp into a preamp?

Searching around on that, I've seen mixed messages....some saying the TRS bypasses the preamp, some say it doesn't, but it's no big deal.

Thanks.
Running the XR18 or MR18 preamps at 0-gain is a very clean signal path, and superior to the Behringer/Midas TRS-only inputs. I wrote an article series on this a few years back. Check the link in my signature.
Old 11th April 2021 | Show parent
  #21
Lives for gear
 
DirkP's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by facej ➡️
The XR18 has DIN MIDI IN/OUT connections as well as doing MIDI through USB. You can configure it to pass through the DIN jacks to the USB and to a DAW.
You are right. I just ignored the XR18, 'cause I think it is great for bands in a rehearsal space or as a small self-managed PA, but not - iMO - for home recordists who want convenience. When I said the Model 12 is the only one with midi I was relating to real mixers/recorders/interfaces with real hardware controls that don't rely on a DAW.
Although some might like it in combination with an iPad.
Old 12th April 2021 | Show parent
  #22
Lives for gear
 
JL1000's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP ➡️
You are right. I just ignored the XR18, 'cause I think it is great for bands in a rehearsal space or as a small self-managed PA, but not - iMO - for home recordists who want convenience. When I said the Model 12 is the only one with midi I was relating to real mixers/recorders/interfaces with real hardware controls that don't rely on a DAW.
Although some might like it in combination with an iPad.
But you can just plug a midi keyboard into the MR18 midi, can't you? That is generally all I would be doing midi-wise (I think).

The Tascam does seem cool in that it is also a DAW controller with knobs and faders, plus has the internal recording option. Both only go up to 48 sample rate, but I suppose that's fine.

One thing that seems unclear, it says it has 8 preamps and 10 line inputs. Where are the line inputs, I don't see them in the pics I've seen. Or do they mean 8 preamps or line inputs?

Are any of these things noisy at all, btw? Or completely silent. I'll also need a computer that is silent, as well as a tablet of some kind. Any recommendations on those things would be great.

Thanks all.

P.S. I've seen a few videos on these, but all just reviews or how to's. Any actual recordings done on these?
Old 12th April 2021 | Show parent
  #23
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL1000 ➡️
But you can just plug a midi keyboard into the MR18 midi, can't you? That is generally all I would be doing midi-wise (I think).

The Tascam does seem cool in that it is also a DAW controller with knobs and faders, plus has the internal recording option. Both only go up to 48 sample rate, but I suppose that's fine.

One thing that seems unclear, it says it has 8 preamps and 10 line inputs. Where are the line inputs, I don't see them in the pics I've seen. Or do they mean 8 preamps or line inputs?

Are any of these things noisy at all, btw? Or completely silent. I'll also need a computer that is silent, as well as a tablet of some kind. Any recommendations on those things would be great.

Thanks all.

P.S. I've seen a few videos on these, but all just reviews or how to's. Any actual recordings done on these?
The MR18 (XR18) has 16 combo jacks - line and XLR - no noise that I can tell, but sometimes you need to be careful about the 2 instrument jacks (1/2).

There is no fan in the xR18, even though you see vents. Totally quiet.

I have a 35 year old addiction to Macintosh ;-) A fan-free MacBook Air (2020 - M1) is what I use for all the things live, and can use in the studio too.

I drive a modern iPad (cheap model) for tablet - Auria Pro for 24 track recording, various tools for the XR18/MR control, and Logic Remote for my DAW. When out live I use the laptop for primary control of the mixer, iPad to record, another iPad to wander around the room and do tweaks of the mix.

I have used low-cost Android tablets, but don't approve of their responsiveness and feel. They work, but I don't like them ;-)
Old 13th April 2021 | Show parent
  #24
Lives for gear
 
JL1000's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by facej ➡️
The MR18 (XR18) has 16 combo jacks - line and XLR - no noise that I can tell, but sometimes you need to be careful about the 2 instrument jacks (1/2).

There is no fan in the xR18, even though you see vents. Totally quiet.

I have a 35 year old addiction to Macintosh ;-) A fan-free MacBook Air (2020 - M1) is what I use for all the things live, and can use in the studio too.

I drive a modern iPad (cheap model) for tablet - Auria Pro for 24 track recording, various tools for the XR18/MR control, and Logic Remote for my DAW. When out live I use the laptop for primary control of the mixer, iPad to record, another iPad to wander around the room and do tweaks of the mix.

I have used low-cost Android tablets, but don't approve of their responsiveness and feel. They work, but I don't like them ;-)
Thanks. So could I theoretically use one pc/laptop/tablet for computer DAW recording plus control it through wifi while at each instrument? I guess it might be a PC with a portable touchscreen monitor. Is there such a thing?
Old 13th April 2021 | Show parent
  #25
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL1000 ➡️
Thanks. So could I theoretically use one pc/laptop/tablet for computer DAW recording plus control it through wifi while at each instrument? I guess it might be a PC with a portable touchscreen monitor. Is there such a thing?
You can certainly use multiple tools simultaneously to control the xr18. I cant tell you about remote control of the DAW or recorder - that depends on your tools.

I can control my Logic Pro session from iPhone and/or iPad at the same time. For the actual recording I just press record in Auria Pro at the start and just let it go. I carve the audio tracks up as needed, after the fact, when I transfer the "tape" to my studio machine.
Old 13th April 2021 | Show parent
  #26
Lives for gear
 
DirkP's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL1000 ➡️
But you can just plug a midi keyboard into the MR18 midi, can't you? That is generally all I would be doing midi-wise (I think).

The Tascam does seem cool in that it is also a DAW controller with knobs and faders, plus has the internal recording option. Both only go up to 48 sample rate, but I suppose that's fine.

One thing that seems unclear, it says it has 8 preamps and 10 line inputs. Where are the line inputs, I don't see them in the pics I've seen. Or do they mean 8 preamps or line inputs?

Are any of these things noisy at all, btw? Or completely silent. I'll also need a computer that is silent, as well as a tablet of some kind. Any recommendations on those things would be great.

Thanks all.

P.S. I've seen a few videos on these, but all just reviews or how to's. Any actual recordings done on these?
It has 6 Mono channels and two stereo channels 7/8 and 9/10. It has combo jacks for line (TSR) or mic (XLR) inputs. The stereo-channels have mic-preamps, too, so can be used as mono channels. You can swap and bounce channels. For example: mix a drum set to the master track then swap the master track to for example 9/10.
The audio quality is very good in its class.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 129 views: 30598
Avatar for Melgueil
Melgueil 16th March 2013
replies: 61 views: 9412
Avatar for Killah_Trakz
Killah_Trakz 19th July 2012
replies: 193 views: 97735
Avatar for AlecSp
AlecSp 18th February 2021
replies: 2619 views: 471203
Avatar for S21
S21 22nd March 2021
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump