The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is your favorite 'piston' ribbon microphone and why?
Old 14th March 2021
Lives for gear

What is your favorite 'piston' ribbon microphone and why?

Trying to just get ideas and a general discussion going here. Such as bang for the buck and special uses as well as your personal experiences or insights. Thanks in advance
Old 14th March 2021
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
This is all kind of second hand and I don't know what "piston" actually means. But I recently got a kick-out track from a guy and the low end went really, really low. Not a subkick. He said it was a Samar mic, don't know the model, and that it was a "piston" design and very inexpensive, like $400. And also good for loud amps as well as the usual brass and such.
Old 14th March 2021
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Best cheap Ribbon mics I have found are those Russian Anamorphic Ribbon mics on eBay. Got some a few years ago and love em. I own a Royer R121 and it hangs with it, not quite the same top end, slightly different mids but amazing for the money.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Handcrafted...4AAOSwc1FZwNoF
Old 14th March 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I'd check out the Samar website.. if i recall he says he's the only one offering the piston thing revision on the Beyer ribbons so he must be an expert on the subject... i think there aren't many piston style corrugated ribbons apart from Beyer in production but might be wrong - -
Old 14th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Samar AL95 is a 'piston' design. None of these are actually pistons with connecting rods or roller cranks. Altho... they can sound good with the proper valve train...
Old 15th March 2021
Lives for gear

Thank you. So we have Beyerdynamic and Samar - any others? ty
Old 15th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave ➡️
Thank you. So we have Beyerdynamic and Samar - any others? ty
While there were a few vintage ‘piston’ ribbons, to my knowledge Beyer and our AL95 are the only current models I am aware of. Obviously, they have totally different approaches, with Beyer having a tiny ribbon, about 0.065”x1”, and AL95 large size with dimensions 0.25”x1.5”.

The only another ‘piston’ ribbon of relatively recent vintage I am familiar with was Groove Tubes Velo 8. We discussed with Aspen this mic in great details and he sent me a few for re-ribboning/servicing before his tragic passing.

Best, M
Old 15th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marik ➡️
While there were a few vintage ‘piston’ ribbons, to my knowledge Beyer and our AL95 are the only current models I am aware of. Obviously, they have totally different approaches, with Beyer having a tiny ribbon, about 0.065”x1”, and AL95 large size with dimensions 0.25”x1.5”.

The only another ‘piston’ ribbon of relatively recent vintage I am familiar with was Groove Tubes Velo 8. We discussed with Aspen this mic in great details and he sent me a few for re-ribboning/servicing before his tragic passing.

Best, M
Yes - I have seen many piston style mics like in the 30's I want to say) It is very interesting on HOW the flat ribbon can extend the HIGH frequency range. Way back they many variations and hybrids of the corrugated-flat configurated surface. The spectrals on the AL95 are quite unlike many other modern ribbons. I know that similar discussions have been going on for years on GS. BUT every once in a while - someone chimes in with an unobvious stunning technology/engineering whether just in theory or old low tech or something else - this is ALWAYS worth exploring and musing about. thx for posting
Old 16th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Audio Technica AT4081 is another current pistonic ribbon. Read some of my thoughts about it in relation to other ribbons here: Jecklin or 4 mic array for string quartet ?
Also see this post of mine: Jecklin or 4 mic array for string quartet ?
Old 17th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher ➡️
Audio Technica AT4081 is another current pistonic ribbon. Read some of my thoughts about it in relation to other ribbons here: Jecklin or 4 mic array for string quartet ?
Also see this post of mine: Jecklin or 4 mic array for string quartet ?
I was trying to find pic of the ribbon. (Nice recordings by the way) wonder if it is indented or how it is jigged or corrugated edges...? thx much -
Old 17th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So what’s a piston ribbon? I haven’t heard this term before. Sounds interesting.

Edit: found a video by Marik in a Samar thread, cool concept.
Old 17th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I was trying to find pic of the ribbon. (Nice recordings by the way) wonder if it is indented or how it is jigged or corrugated edges...? thx much -
Here you go: Samar Debuts A New Figure-of-eight Ribbon
Old 18th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrufino1 ➡️
So what’s a piston ribbon? I haven’t heard this term before. Sounds interesting.

Edit: found a video by Marik in a Samar thread, cool concept.
From what I know it is the action which is called 'piston'. a corrogated zig zag ribbon has ALL kind of movement from its basic engineering which has it's pro and cons. A piston ribbon (from what I have seen) has a flat section on axis~? and or longitudinal corrugations - which can capture more high frequencies... ?
Attached Thumbnails
What is your favorite 'piston' ribbon microphone and why?-vintage-flat-ribbon-.jpg   What is your favorite 'piston' ribbon microphone and why?-vintage-beyer-.jpg  
Old 18th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
From what I know it is the action which is called 'piston'. a corrogated zig zag ribbon has ALL kind of movement from its basic engineering which has it's pro and cons. A piston ribbon (from what I have seen) has a flat section on axis~? and or longitudinal corrugations - which can capture more high frequencies... ?
Thanks for this screenshots! That looks awesome, and the Samar mics are definitely on my list of mics to check out in the future, when I’m hopefully in a better position to make any purchases.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Received my AL95 pair from Marc yesterday!
Tried them in my living room with an acoustic guitar today and they sound really promising...
I'll use them next week in a recording of ancient vocal music in a chapel, and post some samples soon!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.fiocco ➡️
Received my AL95 pair from Marc yesterday!
Tried them in my living room with an acoustic guitar today and they sound really promising...
I'll use them next week in a recording of ancient vocal music in a chapel, and post some samples soon!
Heard much about them. Would love to hear some samples. Thx for posting. tc
📝 Reply