The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help me choose my next level monitors ! (± $5000)
Old 29th January 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Help me choose my next level monitors ! (± $5000)

I've been producing and mixing music for years on my Focal CMS-65. I like them but I'd like to get more detailed monitors and to be able to hear better what's happening between 35-45Hz. Also my studio has been acoustically treated.
I do every kind of music from orchestral to EDM, folk song etc...

-Do I need 3 voices monitors for that ?

What would you recommand in this list ?

-Focal Trio 6Be
-Dynaudio Core 59
-Barefoot Footprint 01
-Output Frontier + Sub
-HEDD Type 20

If you have other suggestion that would be also great ! my budget max is 4500€

Thanks for your help !

Last edited by Lefrançais; 30th January 2021 at 08:13 AM..
Old 29th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Very interested in this as well, I'm in the same boat. Really interested in hearing about the Frontier/Sub option as that's on my list, as well as Hedd Type 20 and others.

Watching
Old 30th January 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I saw Stranger things guys are using Dynaudio core 59 and 47 https://www.dynaudio.com/dynaudio-ac...o7jqz9tUx2yjVQ. Might be very good... I heard Lyd and I did like their sound.
Old 2nd February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
up
Old 2nd February 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I would also add PSI and Neumann to your audition list.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Hi heard KH 310, it's very different from CMS Focal I have. I don't say they are bad but sounds "weird" to me. That said, I'm pretty sure I could get use to them after a week in my studio. Which PSI model do you refer ?

Last edited by Lefrançais; 2nd February 2021 at 03:19 PM..
Old 2nd February 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Interesting. I had both the CMS65 and KH120's here to audition and kept the KH120's. The KH310's are widely regarded as a step up from the KH120's though I accept the Neumanns aren't to everyone's taste.

Regarding the PSI's the A23's.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
The PSI A23 are way above my budget, $5000 but for one monitor !
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefrançais ➡️
The PSI A23 are way above my budget, $5000 but for one monitor !
Wow I had no idea they cost that much in the US!!!

How much are the A21's in the US then?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I live in Paris, France. A21 are 2 way monitors. They are €2699 (£1,999) for one piece https://www.thomann.de/gb/psi_audio_...udio_black.htm
A23 are €4189 (£3,111) for one piece.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I live in Paris, France. A21 are 2 way monitors. They are €2699 (£1,999) for one piece https://www.thomann.de/gb/psi_audio_...udio_black.htm
A23 are €4189 (£3,111) for one piece.
You should listen to the A21, they are great, don't worry that they are 2-way. The go quite low. Hedd Type 30 goes lower though, they are good too.

Didn't love the footprint, or the neumann. But they should do the job aswell.

Good luck!
Old 25th February 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
No one tried the Dynaudio core 59 ? I’d like to know how they compare to Focal Trio 6...

Last edited by Lefrançais; 26th February 2021 at 08:54 AM..
Old 26th February 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
In my opinion you should be taking a long hard look at ATCs- specifically the ATC SCM20ASLs or SCM25s.

I know you mentioned that you want a speaker with some detail between 35-45hz, but in my opinion that range means nothing when 98% of consumer speakers can't even reach that low. Some people have issues with the amount of low end that ATC's put out, but that's because there's practically no distortion with ATC's so you don't get the huge low end that other speakers may have, however it's never been an issue for me when mixing any low end/sub heavy tracks.

I believe that the ATC's are a massive step up from all of the speakers you listed above, you should put some serious consideration into them (there's a good reason why you see them in ALOT of studios these days.)
Old 26th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberotti93 ➡️
In my opinion you should be taking a long hard look at ATCs- specifically the ATC SCM20ASLs or SCM25s.

I know you mentioned that you want a speaker with some detail between 35-45hz, but in my opinion that range means nothing when 98% of consumer speakers can't even reach that low. Some people have issues with the amount of low end that ATC's put out, but that's because there's practically no distortion with ATC's so you don't get the huge low end that other speakers may have, however it's never been an issue for me when mixing any low end/sub heavy tracks.

I believe that the ATC's are a massive step up from all of the speakers you listed above, you should put some serious consideration into them (there's a good reason why you see them in ALOT of studios these days.)
Thank you for your help. I’m going to demo the ATC. ATC 25 are above my budget.How low ATC 20 go ? Would I need a sub ?
Old 26th February 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Eve Audio SC3070 are my suggestion.
These are just insanely detailed and fun to work with.

I upgraded the SC208 and my KH310 with them and the improvement in detail and stereo imaging is without a doubt huge.
Old 26th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
add neumann kh's to your list of monitors to evaluate - in any case, get a subwoofer (or two)!
Old 27th February 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Heard the KH, not my type of sound. I prefer Focal or Dynaudio. I’m going to demo ATC 20 next week.
Old 28th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Heard the KH, not my type of sound. I prefer Focal or Dynaudio. I’m going to demo ATC 20 next week.
You might want a subwoofer, IF you need a “fullrange” experience. Subwoofer Pros 10 could be the answer, a sealed box sub is my suggestion. The 20 offer a great definition, and are a “sort of” balanced NS10 on steroids... as dumb as this may sound.. great mixing loudspeakers.

Cheu
Old 28th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
my four studios (and mobile rigs) all use different speakers... - imo it gets very hard to judge the 'sound' of any system IF they are roughly the same size and use a somewhat similar design, at least if they are aligned to measure the same in terms of spl and fr (which i achieve by using speaker processors).
Old 28th February 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Shouldn’t we be asking why someone needs new monitors? Bigger, better, louder, badder?
Old 13th March 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroko ➡️
Shouldn’t we be asking why someone needs new monitors? Bigger, better, louder, badder?
Quote:
I've been producing and mixing music for years on my Focal CMS-65. I like them but I'd like to get more detailed monitors and to be able to hear better what's happening between 35-45Hz.
The direction of atc scm20 surprises me btw. They don’t reach that low and ATC subs are quite expensive (out of budget).
Old 13th March 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martijn W ➡️
The direction of atc scm20 surprises me btw. They don’t reach that low and ATC subs are quite expensive (out of budget).
I finally bought Focal Trio6 Be, quite happy with them!
Old 14th March 2022
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Congrats!
📝 Reply