The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What are your sleeper RIBBON MICROPHONES?
Old 25th January 2021
Lives for gear

What are your sleeper RIBBON MICROPHONES?

Old or new ones. Wanting people to share what sleeper ribbon microphones they know of. Also what are some good or unusual uses of specific mics. I heard a tests of the old Shure 300 and it sounds REAL good to me as well as bang for buck; Golden Age. Have any info to share? Thanks in advance!
Old 25th January 2021

🎧 10 years
Reslo with the Beeb mods from xaudia. It went from a junk drawer mic to top shelf.
Old 25th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
got AEA R84 last year, and am getting increasingly intrigued with ribbon sound, and can't help wondering what else is out there..,

NoHypeAudio LRM-2b and its extended bandwidth seem great with classical guitar, fiddle and vocal, but its their LRM-V with deliberately dark, shaved off bandwidth, that peaked my interest. unorthodox and special sound. loved examples with sort of folk/ethnic vocals and soft nylon guitar. ooh would love to try that one first hand.

and, tho hardly a sleeper, looking at M160 for guitar cabs. a softer alternative to my dynamics. it could also provide a different, short-ribbon flavor next to my AEA, for recording solo strings.
Old 25th January 2021
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave ➡️
Old or new ones. Wanting people to share what sleeper ribbon microphones they know of. Also what are some good or unusual uses of specific mics. I heard a tests of the old Shure 300 and it sounds REAL good to me as well as bang for buck; Golden Age. Have any info to share? Thanks in advance!
Why?

So some one can jack up the prices on Reverb or Ebay to something totally astronomical?

Nah...pass!
Old 25th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I keep saying it R92. That **** is gold man.
Old 25th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNeedle ➡️
I keep saying it R92. That **** is gold man.
+1 dropped in to mention this, really good ribbon mic for sure.
Old 25th January 2021

🎧 10 years
All the NoHype ribbons. Maybe not sleepers around here, just dozing... LRM-2b, LRM-V and my quiet cat nap choice, the SRM-1. Phenomenal value mics sold direct from a ribbonaire genius.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor ➡️
Why?

So some one can jack up the prices on Reverb or Ebay to something totally astronomical?

Nah...pass!
TRUE but I guarantee you will read this post to find a new one? Be nice now RLOL I have a million followers on my other site and might post it there (just joking) ! tc friend understand concerns.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkshop ➡️
Reslo with the Beeb mods from xaudia. It went from a junk drawer mic to top shelf.
Probably tough to find... but man they sound great on the tests! wow...
Old 25th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Extinct Audio BM9 and Black Ops (made by Stuart @ xuadia).

For anybody who saw the Laura Marling live broadcast from Union Chapel, she was recorded with a single BM9 from a few feet away. Sounds absolutely stunning. Mind you, you're starting with one of the most amazing artists around IMO.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK ➡️
Extinct Audio BM9 and Black Ops (made by Stuart @ xuadia).

For anybody who saw the Laura Marling live broadcast from Union Chapel, she was recorded with a single BM9 from a few feet away. Sounds absolutely stunning. Mind you, you're starting with one of the most amazing artists around IMO.
I did not see it... just finding excerpts... sounds amazing though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAe2TRQeLm0
Old 26th January 2021
Lives for gear

Has anyone used a Shure KSM353/ED?
Old 26th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
On the NoHype bandwagon here. Loving my LRM-V pair with Triton Fetheads.
I just captured an acoustic guitar in blumlein. It was thick and wooly but rendered my little attic space in a nice way. High pass at 70 hz, put a little 10k sparkle on it easy with CAPI 553f, or I can carve that turkey into something else entirely. Something by NoHype will be my next ribbon/s too.
Old 26th January 2021
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
VooDoo VR2

Paired & hard panned with KM183 and its a pretty popping acoustic sound. 12" at bridge and KM at fretboard 12+
Old 26th January 2021
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
NoHype for sure.

I won't buy one due to loving the KU5A but the samples I've heard are fantastic. Cracker did an AB vs a top ribbon in the NoHype thread if I recall correctly.
Old 26th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't know why the Rode NT-R doesn't get more love, that's a fantastic mic.
Old 26th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Probably tough to find... but man they sound great on the tests! wow...
Very easy to find. Just contact him via his website. He's a great guy, too. I have two of his Beebs and I dig them. Found the first one locally, and sent it to him for the mod. Asked him if he had another modded one he could send, so two came back at a very good price.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopypants ➡️
Very easy to find. Just contact him via his website. He's a great guy, too. I have two of his Beebs and I dig them. Found the first one locally, and sent it to him for the mod. Asked him if he had another modded one he could send, so two came back at a very good price.
this sounds good... (to my ears) http://www.coutant.org/shure300/shure300.mp3 thx for info... I might just end up making something similar.
Old 26th January 2021
Deleted 9ca40cc
Bash Audio is the king of sleeper mics, I don't even count how many times people preferred them to a U87s or Royers
Old 26th January 2021
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Peluso ribbons. TR-14 and R-14s.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 9ca40cc ➡️
Bash Audio is the king of sleeper mics, I don't even count how many times people preferred them to a U87s or Royers
Thanks for the info! I just looked at some of the specs on Bash ribbons. I noticed they have gold foil contacts. some had 2.5 micron - 2.36 inch length - ."19 INCH" WIDTH!!! 150 ohm impedence - tranny turn ratio 1:75 - load 1000 ohms - amorphous transformer - hmmm not that ez to make these... look at the width of the ribbon... and Samar/Lundahl tech !~ thx again... can see why these are well known sleepers!!!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett ➡️
Peluso ribbons. TR-14 and R-14s.
More long thin geometry - '30s style... nice
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
More long thin geometry - '30s style... nice
I have a love affair with ribbons. I have AEA 44c, AEA r84, Royer 121, and three Peluso ribbons - 2 TR-14s and a R14. I cannot complain about any of them.

Strangely enough I'm using the TR-14s on rack toms. The fig8 rejection of the cymbals is great. But as a jazz guy ribbons are super important to my recording process.
Old 3rd February 2021

🎧 10 years
No Crowley and Tripp’s?
Old 3rd February 2021 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhames ➡️
No Crowley and Tripp’s?
Shure thing!
Old 3rd February 2021
Lives for gear

AEA R84 has been working hard with great results here. I’ve recently gotten hold of a couple of Royer R10s and I’ll end up buying them, they’re excellent mics. On a very low budget, I would recommend the TBone RB500 - they cost almost nothing and give a surprisingly good Coles impersonation.
Old 3rd February 2021
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Black Ops in full effect. Stewart rules. And this girl and her dad bring something worth recording for sure. What tones. Just like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQDXXDfW7gs
Old 3rd February 2021

🎧 10 years
Cascade VinJet

It's getting old, but I have recently rediscovered an old favorite , a VinJet by cascade with the Lundahl transformer, Serial # 150, They still offer it, but mine seems to be more well behaved the olde it get, now 11 years old. Recorded the vocal on this track with it..
https://soundcloud.com/richiebittner...imbers-1-31-14
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhames ➡️
No Crowley and Tripp’s?
I love my NakedEye Roswellite inside a well-tuned, resonating bass drum, midway between both heads (ft. head needs to be ported).
Something I most certainly wouldn't do with a Royer or a Coles

Quote:
Originally Posted by microwave ➡️
On a very low budget, I would recommend the TBone RB500 - they cost almost nothing and give a surprisingly good Coles impersonation.
I took out all the wire mesh inside mine, leaving just the outer grill.
Slap on some *heavy* compression (API2500 on "loud") and increase your drum room's size 10-fold. Huge low end, definitely a sleeper
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
Black Ops in full effect. Stewart rules. And this girl and her dad bring something worth recording for sure. What tones. Just like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQDXXDfW7gs

Sounds great. And here she is running down the mixing of the track. Capable, indeed!

📝 Reply