The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone tried the new Output/Barefoot Frontier monitors?
Old 15th February 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I just ordered a pair. Looking forward to hearing these. Could be perfect for my home office.

george
Old 18th February 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Let us know what you think! There's still very little info available on these dudes, unfortunately.
Old 19th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
They were supposed to deliver today. But, tracking shows them stuck in Utah all week.

george
Old 22nd February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Got these today. First listen: really nice. I like the coax design a lot. The phantom center is very good.

I'll listen more critically tonight.

george
Old 23rd February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Listening now. Love the cohesiveness of coax.
A bit bright in upper mids, I hope they will mellow slightly with some break in. On some reference tracks snares are snappier than normal.

Pulled up some mixes, really easy to hear reverb tails, compression etc. Great detail. Much better than other monitors I've had here in my office: really old HR-824s and Blue Sky Pro 2.1. Couldn't mix with confidence on either of those.

Overall, really enjoying these so far. They sound much more expensive than they are. Plenty loud enough for near field. I don't miss the freqs below 45Hz, but will surely try with a sub at some point.

george
Old 24th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Did a mix from scratch with these last night, some tracks I downloaded on puremix.net. Quite enjoyable. I felt like I could hear everything. I uploaded to the mix tank on that site, will be interesting to hear replies.

Song is 'Jealousy" by Brandi Thompson. Tracked by Mick Guzauski (phenomenally!).

george
Old 11th March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear
There is still very little info on these out there. There is a new review video from some dude on youtube. He compares them to the HS8's he had before. Not a ton of new information here, but it may help some folks out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx1huWzarj8
Old 14th March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I just got a pair. Hooked them up this morning. Listened for about an hour through a bunch of itunes and some old mixes. After that hour of listening at about 75-80db the right speaker popped followed by a loud ticking that didn't stop. Turned the monitor off waited about a minute and turned it back on. The only thing that worked was the light. The left speaker sounded fine. So, dead after 1 hour of use. Bummed.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Hi Bunnytobin. Strange. Apologies. I'll make sure you get a new pair, ASAP. PMing you with details. I'll personally look over the matter.
Old 14th March 2021
Gear Maniac

Bumping for more reviews
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I've been listening to these everyday. I can confirm that they did mellow a little with break in.
I have issues where are they sit (in my office corner, on my desk). Big nulls and peaks. I've done some sweeps with REW and adjusted a bit with EQ. Only affecting 400Hz and lower. Helped to clean up low mud.

I enjoy listening to music on these very much. Mixing has delivered mixed results. Please note, I'm an amateur mixer. But I do have MM-27's to compare to. My take: Output are in the Barefoot family and sound worthy of twice the price. Yet, the MM-27's (mine are very early first gen) are still in another league. Even in my flawed room, where they completely overpower, the detail, image and depth are incredible.

I think the Output are well suited to my scenario and will benefit from more sweeping and optimizing. I may try some room optimization software demos and check those results.

george
Old 17th March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear
my pair just shipped!

Hello everyone,
new to this forum, but not new to making music Happy to be here and share my view of the monitors when they arrive. (no i am not a pro mixing engineer)
I work in a small home studio, but more importantly will be moving to NY and know that my apartment their will also be small :/

I'm actually very interested in the new HEDD mkii models. I think the HEDD type 05 or 07 mkii could be a solid competitor, if not be more worthwhile with built in dsp, the ability to go sealed or ported etc.

If the frontier's aren't doing it for me, ill write here and most likely give the HEDD type 07 MKII a whirl. Unless some of you gear head's have some inside knowledge/experience to share that will persuade me away from doing that.
Cheers!
Old 22nd March 2021
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Still really liking these! I moved houses, and now I have a much more suitable room: about 12' x 18', with the speakers away from the walls on stands and me sitting at the 1/3rd position. I still think they sound really great and am pleased with my choice. I don't think I need a sub, but I can see where someone could want one.

Only sort of annoying thing: the threshold for eco-mode is a bit higher than zero for some reason, so if you're listening to music quietly enough they'll shut down. Kind of a bummer, I really like the concept but in practice it's kind of frustrating.
Old 25th March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyamusic ➡️
Hello everyone,
new to this forum, but not new to making music Happy to be here and share my view of the monitors when they arrive. (no i am not a pro mixing engineer)
I work in a small home studio, but more importantly will be moving to NY and know that my apartment their will also be small :/

I'm actually very interested in the new HEDD mkii models. I think the HEDD type 05 or 07 mkii could be a solid competitor, if not be more worthwhile with built in dsp, the ability to go sealed or ported etc.

If the frontier's aren't doing it for me, ill write here and most likely give the HEDD type 07 MKII a whirl. Unless some of you gear head's have some inside knowledge/experience to share that will persuade me away from doing that.
Cheers!
Ive had the frontiers for about a week now. Super solid pair of monitors. They are physically beautiful (minus the light you can't turn off) and I do believe the low end is substantial.
That being said, I don't think they are monitors that I would keep for the next 5 years. They didn't blow me out of the water and I feel like I can find monitors that may fit my room better. I was using HS8's, of which sound good to listen to music, but I could never make confident mixing decisions with them.
The Fontier's from the start, definitely helped. I could hear very subtle eq difference's, better placement of instruments, reverb etc. The mids are very clean and transparent.
my father owns a pair of Volti Razz hifi speakers of which I use to check how my mixes translate. The Frontier's did their job for the most part in that regard. The tonal balance of my mixes were much better and I was getting to that balance quicker!
that being said...

I have decided to really step up and try the Footprint 02's. Who knows when I will receive them, but I feel like they will be monitors I would keep for the next 5+ years. Different price bracket, yes...I couldn't get enough info on the HEDD mk2s to give them a go first.
Old 2nd April 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Because of COVID related supply chain issues with Barefoot, I cancelled my footprint 02 monitors for the time being. I will be trying out the HEDD 07 MK2 in the meantime and will return with my thoughts in a few weeks!
Old 2nd April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Because of COVID related supply chain issues with Barefoot, I cancelled my footprint 02 monitors for the time being. I will be trying out the HEDD 07 MK2 in the meantime and will return with my thoughts in a few weeks!
I might be doing the same soon as waiting 5 months for new monitors isn't going to cut it. Time to move on.
Old 4th April 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Hawk ➡️
I might be doing the same soon as waiting 5 months for new monitors isn't going to cut it. Time to move on.
absolutely. This review sold me on the HEDD type 07 mk2s. Its in German, but chrome browser translates to English:
https://www.amazona.de/test-hedd-typ...ahfeldmonitor/
Old 4th April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Probably doesn’t mean anything but.....

I saw in a recent beat making video that Timberland seems to have swapped a pair of HS8’s for the Frontiers and also has some big ATC’s as his mains.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Right now, I’m deciding between Frontiers or Aps Klasik 2020. Frontiers still aren’t available here in Europe. Anyone tested both speakers?
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Ive had the frontiers for about a week now. Super solid pair of monitors. They are physically beautiful (minus the light you can't turn off) and I do believe the low end is substantial.
That being said, I don't think they are monitors that I would keep for the next 5 years. They didn't blow me out of the water and I feel like I can find monitors that may fit my room better. I was using HS8's, of which sound good to listen to music, but I could never make confident mixing decisions with them.
The Fontier's from the start, definitely helped. I could hear very subtle eq difference's, better placement of instruments, reverb etc. The mids are very clean and transparent.
my father owns a pair of Volti Razz hifi speakers of which I use to check how my mixes translate. The Frontier's did their job for the most part in that regard. The tonal balance of my mixes were much better and I was getting to that balance quicker!
that being said...

I have decided to really step up and try the Footprint 02's. Who knows when I will receive them, but I feel like they will be monitors I would keep for the next 5+ years. Different price bracket, yes...I couldn't get enough info on the HEDD mk2s to give them a go first.
I received my HEDD Type 07 MKII's a couple of days ago. WOW am I impressed. These monitors are no joke. The Frontiers were great, don't get me wrong, but these are well worth the extra few hundred dollars. The low end is tight and punchy. I use them in their closed ported mode, so they are essentially a sealed cabinet. These also offer a low end extension feature that takes the already low 38hz to 30hz. I can confirm that this is true. You lose headroom, but I'm never going to mix loud enough to start hitting the limiter/hear distortion. The Heinz AMT tweeter sounds fantastic. Not fatiguing in the slightest. The transient detail is clean, the mid-range is present and the low end tight. I can't argue with the flat curve as well. The built in DSP is fantastic.
I have Footprint 02's on hold through Vintage King, but will cancel that order because I don't see how they could be any better?
If your budget is 1500$ maybe the Frontier's are worth it. But if your budget is under 2000$ the HEDD's are well worth it.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I received my HEDD Type 07 MKII's a couple of days ago. WOW am I impressed. These monitors are no joke. The Frontiers were great, don't get me wrong, but these are well worth the extra few hundred dollars. The low end is tight and punchy. I use them in their closed ported mode, so they are essentially a sealed cabinet. These also offer a low end extension feature that takes the already low 38hz to 30hz. I can confirm that this is true. You lose headroom, but I'm never going to mix loud enough to start hitting the limiter/hear distortion. The Heinz AMT tweeter sounds fantastic. Not fatiguing in the slightest. The transient detail is clean, the mid-range is present and the low end tight. I can't argue with the flat curve as well. The built in DSP is fantastic.
I have Footprint 02's on hold through Vintage King, but will cancel that order because I don't see how they could be any better?
If your budget is 1500$ maybe the Frontier's are worth it. But if your budget is under 2000$ the HEDD's are well worth it.
Slightly deviating from the topic but it'd be great if you can compare the Footprints to the Type 07
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdornothin ➡️
Slightly deviating from the topic but it'd be great if you can compare the Footprints to the Type 07
definitely deviating...I started with the Frontier's though.
Unless I can get my hands on a pair of Footprint 02's in the next week, the comparison will never happen because then I wouldn't be able to return the HEDD's...If someone already owns Footprint 02's, they could easily compare and then return the HEDD's...or sell their Footprints easily at market price, given the insane demand
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetness ➡️
Hi SBD12, It really depends on your budget. I'm a big fan of the Barefoot Sub45 as the dual-force technology creates an extremely tight low end that's punchy and the crossover is at 45. Many subwoofers, IMHO, lack that punchiness and sound puffy. That being said, if you were on a budget, I do not have much experience with those downmarket products.
Crossover is at 80Hz https://barefootsound.com/microsub45/
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkshake ➡️
Yes. 80hz. Brain fart. Thanks for the correction!
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetness ➡️
Yes. 80hz. Brain fart. Thanks for the correction!
NP, I remembered it because I was playing with an EQ when listening to records on MM45, boosting the lowend with different crossover settings. I found many records sounded fine, but a few needed a boost at 80Hz and below, so I looked up the specs of the MicroSub45 and noticed the crossover -- exactly 80 lol
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
that being said...

Thank you for that review. This is a massive help for me.
📝 Reply