Quantcast
Command 8, new digi control - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Command 8, new digi control
Old 27th March 2004
Gear Addict

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
So, are you guys all running OSX with your PT rig? I notice that it only supports OSX. I am still on OS9 and PT V.5.
Old 27th March 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
control of Pro Tools TDM or LE systems running on Windows XP or Mac OS X.

wuzz the problem?heh
Old 28th March 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What happend? is it so disapointing?
A lot of us Pt user waited so long for this, and now nobody seems to be happy about it. bump
wuzz wrong?
nice sundayheh
Old 28th March 2004
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I am very, very happy about this. It could be better I guess, but it is a whole lot better than nothing so I will take it.
Old 28th March 2004
Gear Addict

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I am disappointed it doesn't support OS9. But hey, I can always pick up a used ProControl if I really want a controller.
Old 30th March 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
is the manuel availlable yet? nothing on the digi site.
Haze? Anyone?

Im trying to figure out if i actually need to move to 002 rack from 001 or just get the command 8 en get some more plug ins instead. the 002 factory upgrade bundle isn't availlable in europe, but the plugins are sold seperate.
I still barely use the 001 i/o's or pre's so ill probably wont use them on a 002 to, so the only reason could be the 96k.

thanks
Old 30th March 2004
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
im dissapointed that it seems it will not be expandable, which makes it useless for me....
Old 30th March 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
yes an extra 8 channels would be great
Old 30th March 2004
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
or 24!!
Old 30th March 2004
djs
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
faders

yep, why not give us an option to have faders for all the useable audio tracks (still 32 for LE, i think...i don't have the new version). then a nice set of meters...useable ones, not little lights that go around a knob! man, i would be all over that. is seams that anyone looking for something like that either has to pay for a ton of extra crap like pre's and converters and twice the "features" or settle for 8 channels. i would think it would be an obvious product choice. a basic useable controler with meters and enough faders so you don't have to keep switching banks! who's with me?
Old 30th March 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
youre right , but for my living room setup im more than happy.
Ok i must admit 32channels and a master fader would be thousand time's better.
Like Mr Olhsson say's : if it fix a certain problem go with it, or else wait another year and see how it goes.
Sorry Mr O. for using some of your wise words, but you inspire me and im not the only i guess.
Old 30th March 2004
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Re: faders

Quote:
Originally posted by djs
yep, why not give us an option to have faders for all the useable audio tracks (still 32 for LE, i think...i don't have the new version). then a nice set of meters...useable ones, not little lights that go around a knob! man, i would be all over that. is seams that anyone looking for something like that either has to pay for a ton of extra crap like pre's and converters and twice the "features" or settle for 8 channels. i would think it would be an obvious product choice. a basic useable controler with meters and enough faders so you don't have to keep switching banks! who's with me?

im with you!!!! most likely there's some marketing strategy keeping the command 8 non expandable so it wont compete with the TDM or big control surfaces.
if you have a digi002 you get 16faders with the command 8 though...
Old 31st March 2004
djs
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
control

yeh, but it sucks to have a bunch of little mis-matched boxes and extra cable to deal with when one big one would work soooooo much better. i'm sure that you would also have all sorts of problems with latency, hardware conflicts or some damn thing. plus the setup you suggested would use two sets of shuttle controlls, no? besides the waisted space, and money, how would the software deal with this? would it respond to both, or just one? what would happen if you moved them at the same time? maybe...CRASH!!!!

and ProFool....
i'm almost going on my third year of waithing! wtf!! it's not like they wouldn't sell like hot cakes. everyone makes basic 8 fader controls, no one does big ones....they could cornner the market!

nice to know i'm not the only one frustrated by this.
Old 31st March 2004
djs
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: faders

Quote:
Originally posted by -=glEnn=-
im with you!!!! most likely there's some marketing strategy keeping the command 8 non expandable so it wont compete with the TDM or big control surfaces.
if you have a digi002 you get 16faders with the command 8 though...
you probably are right...saddly. but something like the control 24 has soooo much extra crap i don't want or need...and can't afford. i have nice external pre's, converters and stuff. i don't need a beast like that, just a basic control surface. if digi don't do it soon, some one else will...at least i'd like to think! would be nice to have one designed for PT though. but hey, if someone else makes one first, it would sure be easer to ditch the protools, eh?!
Old 31st March 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I wonder why there is such less information on it and why they don't put a manual on the digi site, are we suposed not to know something?

Dj, will you keep your 001 to or are you going 002 rack some day?
Old 31st March 2004
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
24 faders + 1 master fader + joystick for surround pan!!

I guess this is old news but..

Check this out!

If you want a bigger image go to here

* I initially pasted the bigger image here, but i think it screwed up the forum's dimensions, and I'm afraid Jules might void my chance of winning the big ben, so I'm providing a link now instead. Thanks Jules for the Big Ben

.. and this thing is like less than USD 1600

BUT, no scribble pad, no talkback, no monitoring section .. wtf, I guess u win some u lose some
Old 31st March 2004
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
yeah...the Tascam US2400 looks promising but i cant for the world understand why they didnt include a LED that displays track information..
Old 31st March 2004
djs
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
tascam

doesn't look too bad. but being only 24 faders with no labeling indicator LEDs makes it pretty usless if you have more than 24 tracks...maybe you can shift banks, but how do you know what is what? even with the LEDs, i'd still want 32 faders. even if i didn't use all 32 for audio in a given session, i could make sub mixes or dedicate a set of 8 or so to a headphone mix or something, which i could still do useing 32 audio tracks if i changed the fader assignments in a bank...if they implemented LED labeling of faders, which they don't! i do like the price though. all in all not too far off. i'm still holding out i think.

profool-
i'm still in a 001, and have been thinking of moving into a 002r, but i don't like some of the stuff digi did to it (no preamp inputs on front, phantom power only switchable on back?!...how convenient!). the firewire is a big plus for me, being a laptop user. the extra preamps are nice too...makes for a better location recorder than the 001, but i have better external pre's now, so i don't care about that so much these days. higher sample rate is cool...but that probably means i'd have to get a faster computer to do the extra math for plugins at those rates...or get use to running less plugins. i'd also have to move into osX. which i'll have to do soon one way or another i guess. it seems to finally have most of the bugs worked out in panther, so that isn't so bad...only like $100 i think. most of the new plugs i'm looking at are osX too.

honestly, i'm still happy eneough with the 001 for now. it does the job. some issues, but it does the job. i'm also sort of hopeing digi might come out with a native/TDM hybread system before the 001 craps out or becomes totally outdated. something like a 002r but with processor cards built in for some serious power. i dont need the preamps and converters either...maybe thay could have that stuff as optional components (sort of the way the HD stuff works). then i can use my high end pre's and converters and plug them directly into the digi unit in digital format. make it half the cost of a HD system and i'm in! also, the 002 doen't have word clock ins for some stupid reason...well, i guess no LE products do. that is a must. well, i know something like that will be around sooner or later, but i don't want to wait!! not much choice though, i guess.

your on a 001 still i think you said, right? what do you do with it? i know you mentioned some sort of home setup. if you like the 001 setup and don't have to worry about compatability outside your facility, i wouldn't spend the extra money just to go to 96k. i don't know what your equipment entails, but i bet you could find a few better uses for that kind of $$$$ (maybe better monitors or d/ac, a nice mic or two, some new plugins, some tasty outboard gear). that's my take anyway. how's that sit with you?
Old 31st March 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Dj;

yeah im stil on 001 with a Nuendo 8 i/o used via lightpipe and the nuendo set to clock
i dont have a lot of front end right now, but thats my next thing.
Right now or better this week i want to call for the command 8 and get a bunch of plug ins.
first i intended to give in the 001 for the factory upgrade, but its not availlable in Europe so i think of just getting the factory plug in bundle, i want the Fairchild and pultects to and also got recomended the waves power pack, wich i wil get to.
Also if i would get a 002 i would have to get a new flight case for it, rigt now the 001 and nuendo are in a 3 unit with a patch bay.
as for my daw im on a xp pent 700, 512 ram.
but im gathering parts to build a new one, probably in an xpc case, so its easy to take with me.
maybe later ill get an Mbox aswell for pre production at my clients home or wherever they want me to be. or to give them the mbox for the duration of the project.
you could be right about upgrading the monitor system, but it seems that we have exactly the same.
Tannoy reveals + sb110b.
so right now for that part a dac1 would be the best solution.

greetz
Old 31st March 2004
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
just read a statement from a dealer here in Sweden that ADC in ProTools will only be for HD systems and not PTLE.
is this true...anyone else herad anything?
Old 31st March 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yep, it it true! Sorry. PDC is HD only, not PTmix or LE.
Old 2nd April 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I wonder why there is such less information on it and why they don't put a manual on the digi site, are we suposed not to know something?
I imagine there's no manual on the site because it hasn't been written yet.

Quote:
higher sample rate is cool...but that probably means i'd have to get a faster computer to do the extra math for plugins at those rates...or get use to running less plugins.
Or you could still run at 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz. The 002's converters will still sound better than the 001's at the lower rates.

Quote:
also, the 002 doen't have word clock ins for some stupid reason...well, i guess no LE products do. that is a must.
If you're going into it from an outboard converter you can slave to that converter's clock. I'd agree that it would be handy, but I wouldn't consider it a "must".

-Duardo
Old 2nd April 2004
djs
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
duardo...
you make some good points...mostly stuff i thought of after my post, but either way it is good to mention them as this is a forum that others use for info too. thanks.

oh, are you useing a 002 now? did you upgrade from a 001? if so, how would you say the converters and preamps compare to those of the 001? i pretty much bypass the whole section, but i can think of times when they could come in very handy...such as remote recording (if i don't want to lug a huge rack of pre's and converters and stuff around).

profool...
i am actually in the prosess of upgrading my whole monitor settup. as of now, i'm leaning twords dynaudio BM6a's and DAC-1 (still using the sb110so for sub...see how well they jive...i bet i can lower the crossover and get a nice sounding rig, but we'll see). that, combined with a new control room should be and HUGE improvment. i'll let you know.

as for the lack of ADC in PT LE systems, i'm not suprised. i'm sure you could guess an adjective or two that i am though. this is the kind of stuff that pushes me (and i'm sure many, many others)to get out of PT or atleast augment it with another app. unfortunatly, PT is such a industry standered that i don't think i'd be able to compleatly ditch it for quite some time to come. hopefully, in a few years they will actually offer a product that does what i want, as i love what it can do...just very limiting. one of my biggest issues is the lack of an intagrated notation editor. i hear logic/nuendo/cue base all have this. anyone know?
Old 3rd April 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by djs
as for the lack of ADC in PT LE systems, i'm not suprised. i'm sure you could guess an adjective or two that i am though. this is the kind of stuff that pushes me (and i'm sure many, many others)to get out of PT or atleast augment it with another app. unfortunatly, PT is such a industry standered that i don't think i'd be able to compleatly ditch
For home use I have a native setup- I left PT LE after 1 month & went back to Samplitude. The limits attached to PT LE & the track capping are just too annoying- Digi keeps it down. Plus Samplitude 7.2+ has just about covered all bases w/ me. I use wav files for transfer to ProTools TDM, ProTools LE, Nuendo, Macs/PCs without a hitch. About to set up my home system w/ (2) UAD-1 & (2) Powercore w/ Sony Plug-ins.
Old 3rd April 2004
djs
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
i hear a lot of good thing about samplitude, but that's only for pc, right? i'm running mac's here.
Old 6th April 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
oh, are you useing a 002 now? did you upgrade from a 001? if so, how would you say the converters and preamps compare to those of the 001? i pretty much bypass the whole section, but i can think of times when they could come in very handy...such as remote recording (if i don't want to lug a huge rack of pre's and converters and stuff around).
No, I don't own either, although I've used them both in the past. Both the preamps and converters sound a little clearer to me (although I usually avoided the pre's in the 001).

The 002 certainly would be more handy for remote stuff, if for no other reason than you'd have to lug around an expansion chassis around with the 001 (if you were using a laptop)...

-Duardo
πŸ“ Reply