The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Weird Audio W47 Mod 1
Old 31st August 2020
Weird Audio W47 Mod 1

Just posted my review of this wonderful new 47 family mic from Weird Audio.

this thing is amazing. Anyone else out there using it?

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/revi...l#post14943556
Old 31st August 2020
I have one with an M7 style diaphragm (special order maybe?) and I really like it so far too. I've used it on a few male vocal tracks (including my own, and I usually hate the way I sound...) and it was great (well, acceptable on me, great for others lol). Either in cardioid mode, or slightly toward omni. Also used it on several drum tracks as a mono room mic, and it got a very balanced sound of the kit. I also demo'd one with the standard capsule and it sounded great on vocals and some acoustic guitar tracks, but there was something about the PVC capsule that I preferred. Can't give you a scientific explanation of why, but my ears preferred it.

Now just waiting for the stupid pandemic to end so I can use it more!

Last edited by digitaldrummer; 31st August 2020 at 08:46 PM..
Old 31st August 2020
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Weird 47 Mod1 and Little Red Monster

I came across Weird Audio on Reverb/eBay last year. The owner and mastermind behind these mics, Tommy Parker, spoke a VERY BIG GAME about his mics. Reached out to him directly, met him in person (great dude) and demoed both the 47 Mod1 (PVC) and the Little Red Monster.

All I can say is these are hands down among the best mics I have ever used. I'll post audio examples soon.

Summary:

Little Red Monster (LRM):

Like most of us tone chasers, I listen the the great acoustic guitar recordings from the 60s and 70s and wonder how the heck they get that tone. Yes it's tape, the player, old recording desks and voodoo. But even so, I've always thought there was a way.

For the me, the way to this sound is with the LRM. Easily the best mic for acoustic guitar. I'm not a newbie to recording, having used all the classic mics and mic chains you can imagine. Recorded both in my studio and various big studio name studios here in LA.

Something about this mic made it so easy to record acoustic guitar. Using my 1966 Gibson SJN the recording chain was LRM -> Brent Averil 1073 -> UA 1176 Anniversary Blue Stripe -> Apogee Symphony MKII A/D - > ProTools HD.

Without additional EQ or compression in the box, this was so open, clear and warm. It has all the detail and clarity from the pick attack (like Over the Hills and Far Away) and all the woody warm (Norwegian Wood).

Honestly, I'm not sure what deal Tommy made with the audio gods, but he must have donated something in exchange for making my recording life such a pleasure and so darn easy.

Weird 47 Mod1 (PVC)

Using the same recording chain this time recording female vocals (alto range) this mic killed! Again it has that Weird Audio signature airiness. Without sacrificing warmth, body, Tommy somehow manages to add an airy transparency that makes it sound like the singer is not coming out of speakers, but rather singing right in front of you. It's a bit startling ( in an amazing way) the first time you hear it. The only thing I can compare it to is a Stephen Paul mod silver bullet Neumann U47 I rented here in a LA. Word was that Stephen Paul mod had the diaphragm shaved down to either 3 microns or even 1.5 microns (could that be right?!?). I won't swear by that statistic since it's only from memory and not literature. But as most of you know, those Stephen Paul mods have a specific sound, and an incredibly hight price tag since Stephen is no longer with us. Luckily the audio world is blessed with Tommy to swoop in and give us something the fill that audio void. Seriously.....I am stunned.

Will post audio examples soon!!!!
Old 31st August 2020
Here for the gear

Love The Little Red Monster

I read the flattering review in Tape Op of the Little Red Monster and it sounded like the mic I was lacking in my collection. I ordered it pretty much right away after reading the review and I have been nothing short of impressed with it on pretty much anything I throw at it! It is especially versatile on vocals and works great as a room mic for drums. I haven't had the pleasure of working with the 47 yet but I am anticipating getting one in the near future. And I expect nothing short of the quality that The Little Red Monster delivered. Weird Audio also delivers absolutely excellent customer service and replied rapidly to every question I had. Thomas Parker is the proprietor and he is a super stand up guy. Looking forward to seeing what else he's developing in the future for sure.
Old 1st September 2020
Here for the gear

Quiet as kept

I have a warm audio 251 that I thought was the love of my life, but one day it had a mechanical problem and I had to send it in for service. I was looking for a temporary mic on EBay and Ran across The little red monster, reading the guarantee I couldn’t help but give it a try. The little red monster sounds so amazing on my voice, it has a finished sound before being mixed. I now have the weird 47 which top end sparkles. It has a clarity like no other a lot of my female clients reach for it or request it most times. I personally reached out to Thomas Parker and made sure he knew this was the best mic I’ve owned. My Neumann is catching dust at the moment. Much Love weird audio
Old 12th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Hi jumbo, any chance you can get samples up of the 47 pvc? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboMusicGroup ➡️
I came across Weird Audio on Reverb/eBay last year. The owner and mastermind behind these mics, Tommy Parker, spoke a VERY BIG GAME about his mics. Reached out to him directly, met him in person (great dude) and demoed both the 47 Mod1 (PVC) and the Little Red Monster.

All I can say is these are hands down among the best mics I have ever used. I'll post audio examples soon.

Summary:

Little Red Monster (LRM):

Like most of us tone chasers, I listen the the great acoustic guitar recordings from the 60s and 70s and wonder how the heck they get that tone. Yes it's tape, the player, old recording desks and voodoo. But even so, I've always thought there was a way.

For the me, the way to this sound is with the LRM. Easily the best mic for acoustic guitar. I'm not a newbie to recording, having used all the classic mics and mic chains you can imagine. Recorded both in my studio and various big studio name studios here in LA.

Something about this mic made it so easy to record acoustic guitar. Using my 1966 Gibson SJN the recording chain was LRM -> Brent Averil 1073 -> UA 1176 Anniversary Blue Stripe -> Apogee Symphony MKII A/D - > ProTools HD.

Without additional EQ or compression in the box, this was so open, clear and warm. It has all the detail and clarity from the pick attack (like Over the Hills and Far Away) and all the woody warm (Norwegian Wood).

Honestly, I'm not sure what deal Tommy made with the audio gods, but he must have donated something in exchange for making my recording life such a pleasure and so darn easy.

Weird 47 Mod1 (PVC)

Using the same recording chain this time recording female vocals (alto range) this mic killed! Again it has that Weird Audio signature airiness. Without sacrificing warmth, body, Tommy somehow manages to add an airy transparency that makes it sound like the singer is not coming out of speakers, but rather singing right in front of you. It's a bit startling ( in an amazing way) the first time you hear it. The only thing I can compare it to is a Stephen Paul mod silver bullet Neumann U47 I rented here in a LA. Word was that Stephen Paul mod had the diaphragm shaved down to either 3 microns or even 1.5 microns (could that be right?!?). I won't swear by that statistic since it's only from memory and not literature. But as most of you know, those Stephen Paul mods have a specific sound, and an incredibly hight price tag since Stephen is no longer with us. Luckily the audio world is blessed with Tommy to swoop in and give us something the fill that audio void. Seriously.....I am stunned.

Will post audio examples soon!!!!
Old 17th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Yes! Sorry for the delay. I am doing some recording this weekend and will post next week.
Old 17th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Yes! Sorry for the delay. I am doing some recording this weekend and will post next week.
Sounds good. Thanks!
Old 11th December 2020 | Show parent
Have to agree with the LRM on acoustic guitars. Kinda dying to try it on drum overheads.

Still completely smitten with the 47. Just amazing. Love it through an API-312/Manley ELOP. Recently bought a Craneborne audio Camden preamp (another unbelievable value for the money) and it's equally amazing through that piece.

I am no newbie either and I have been around a lot of killer microphones. the Weird 47 competes with mics at literally 10x the price point.

Two clicks toward Omni for vocals=perfection.
Old 13th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Yes!! I just got a couple of Camden's as well and they are amazing. Just cut some male vocals with the W47Mod1 and Mod2. Sweet open huge sound. Def stands up against mics I've used from Capitol records mic locker.
Old 16th December 2020
Gear Head

Just ordered a 47 mod 1 for $700. Hoping it lives up to the hype here. There isn’t much on them posted anywhere. I saw another site where Weird Audio was getting ripped into pretty hard, but no actual audio samples were posted on either side. Hope I made the right call!
Old 16th December 2020
I sure like mine. I don't think you will be disappointed.
p.s. - a Neve type pre is a good match for it...
Old 16th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldrummer ➡️
I sure like mine. I don't think you will be disappointed.
p.s. - a Neve type pre is a good match for it...
Good to know. I have 2 Camden preamps I’m anxious to try out on this as well.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I think you'll love the mic! the Mod1 takes well to the Neve, or even brighter mic pres. Great on vocals, 12 inches back from mic, 2 clicks from cardioid to omni. Let us know how you like it!
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Finally some audio examples!

MICS USED:
W47 M1 - MYLAR CAPSULE
W47 M2 - PVC CAPSULE
LRM - Little Red Monster

W47 -CAMDEN - female vocal singing
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cblu7x7bb...mEcF_wdpa?dl=0

W47 -CAMDEN - female vocal read
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rx05eh66o...pbxRQeEWa?dl=0

LRM - neve - 1176 - 1966 Gibson SJN acoustic guitar
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e9pcwdmq0...isbV8Wmba?dl=0
Old 17th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Finally some audio examples!

MICS USED:
W47 M1 - MYLAR CAPSULE
W47 M2 - PVC CAPSULE
LRM - Little Red Monster

W47 -CAMDEN - female vocal singing
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cblu7x7bb...mEcF_wdpa?dl=0

W47 -CAMDEN - female vocal read
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rx05eh66o...pbxRQeEWa?dl=0

LRM - neve - 1176 - 1966 Gibson SJN acoustic guitar
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e9pcwdmq0...isbV8Wmba?dl=0
Awesome! Can’t wait to listen to these in my monitors. We need more audio samples like this for these mics.
Old 17th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Just posted some audio examples below
Old 19th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Just picked mine up! Was supposed to be used but looks brand new, shockmount still in the plastic wrap.

Question what is this little plastic ring that is supposed to go in the mic’s jack?
Old 19th December 2020 | Show parent
only if the cord doesn't fit tight I suppose. I don't use it myself
Old 19th December 2020
Here for the gear

I was more or less settled on a Vanguard V13, but this thread is making me think twice. Does anyone have experience with that mic as well as these? I’m looking for something to mainly record acoustic instruments- sax, upright bass, drum rooms, etc.
Old 9th January 2021
I just used my Weird Audio W47 mod2 as a mono overhead for a retro (surf) project I'm working on and I was pretty happy with it. It's definitely working in the mix for me [along with kick (Miktek PM11), snare (57), and a "crotch" mic(ev664)]. Here's a snippet:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cfqnu8xgso...oOvhd.mp3?dl=0

Mike
Old 10th January 2021
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I took the plunge

Found a used W47 at Guitar Center Austin. Had it shipped to Atlanta. Serial number #2 . Went to plug it in and it didn't work. Took off the sleeve and noticed a wire from the diaphragm had come loose. Contacted Tommy at Weird Audio about which contact point to solder to and he said that it was a prototype mic and that he would replace it for me. Wow, that's customer service! Can't wait to try it out.
Old 10th January 2021
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I am wondering how similar the Art T4, Weird W47, and the Warm wa47 are. I wonder if it is the same basic design done in the same factory. I know Warm upgraded the transformer to a high quality AMI transformer, 3U k47 capsule, and high end capacitors beyond the Chinese mic, the Art uses the stock transformer and k67 capsule. Seems maybe the Weird one uses the stock transformer and has substituted a Chinese67 capsule for a Chinese 47 capsule. I could be totally wrong and only have the WA47. It would be nice to see the insides of each. Of course, they probably all sound great as China is making some really nice mics currently, but I am always wondering whats inside?
Old 10th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Chinese manufacturing seems to have come a long way. I have a couple iSK mics that were very inexpensive and work well, as well as a 3U mic that I absolutely adore (but that's a little different since Guosheng has small-boutique-level QC). These do look like they're similar to Alctron-made mics that are rebadged by various brands, and maybe he does some quality mods to upgrade them. That would be cool, and I'm sure these are capable of delivering quality results. The option of a Thiersch capsule upgrade is very cool!

But man, this website is tough to read. Directly copied from one of the pages (typos, marketing hyperbole, and historical inaccuracies left intact):

"LIQUID SOUND - ELEGANT DESIGN

Our mics are amazing works of art - sure to be collectors pieces. Why try to copy old designs that the parts are no longer available for? Does anyone believe that the sixty year old U-47, or the U-67 microphone design would never be equaled or improved upon? The key issues back then were how to do the fine machining required for a superior, gold sputtered mic capsule, and how to produce a consistent-quality-vacuum tube and transformer. The capsules, then as now, were manufactured by Microtech Geffel and serviced for many years by Sigfried Thiersch. But the ability to do the fine machining has come a long way and is light years beyond 1940’s capabilities, with the advent of lasers and micro-accurate CNC processes. Our machining is extremely accurate today utilizing these new technologies and is reflected in our capsules. Besides our own fine capsules we do offer models featuring capsules made by Thiersch Electrocaustic, using either the original M47 PVC or the Mylar which came later, and these mics have phenomenal legacy sound. But try our setup first. You won’t be disapointed."

I mean... pro audio enthusiasts tend to be much better-informed than average consumers. Confusing a K47 with an M7, and not realizing the difference between Neumann capsules and Gefell capsules, does not inspire confidence. Neither does claiming your mics are "sure to be collectors [sic] pieces."

It sounds like this guy has been very good about customer service, and that says a lot. I want Austin-based companies to be successful, too. I just wish he'd get some help with his website copy!
Old 10th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

19 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnow ➡️
I am wondering how similar the Art T4, Weird W47, and the Warm wa47 are. I wonder if it is the same basic design done in the same factory. I know Warm upgraded the transformer to a high quality AMI transformer, 3U k47 capsule, and high end capacitors beyond the Chinese mic, the Art uses the stock transformer and k67 capsule. Seems maybe the Weird one uses the stock transformer and has substituted a Chinese67 capsule for a Chinese 47 capsule. I could be totally wrong and only have the WA47. It would be nice to see the insides of each. Of course, they probably all sound great as China is making some really nice mics currently, but I am always wondering whats inside?
I've had both. The T4 is nearly the same mic as the WA 47. Exact same power supply. Look exactly the same inside although the T4 has a different transformer (which is shielded). I prefer the T4. I have an NOS JAN Mullard 12AT7 in the one I have and it sounds superb. The capsule in the T4 is a K67 which I prefer. A k47 from say Mic Parts would make the mic too dark in my opinion. The 3U capsule is in my experience even darker. The NOS Mullard (thanks to Bowie) made a much more significant improvement than I thought it would. Seems to be a great match for this mic. I highly recommend the T4.
Old 10th January 2021
Lives for gear

19 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
BTW...I had the Little Red Monster for a few days. I thought it was one of the worst mics I had ever heard. My cheapest MXL mic beat it hands down. The sound was a mile away from the ballpark of a U67. I found it harsh, screechy, no low end, overall very cheap sounding. Looks like a lot of company shilling going on above.
Old 10th January 2021 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates ➡️
I found it harsh, screechy, no low end, overall very cheap sounding.
I can only guess that it was broken or damaged in some way. that has not been my experience at all.
Old 11th January 2021
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
It probably depends on what you are recording and the rest of your chain. I tend not to like a the Chinese 67 capsules without a deemphasis circuit built in, in my set up, which I doubt these mics have.
Old 11th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnow ➡️
It probably depends on what you are recording and the rest of your chain. I tend not to like a the Chinese 67 capsules without a deemphasis circuit built in, in my set up, which I doubt these mics have.
I'm sure you're right. The fact is, a brilliant musician can create an entire record, and make it sound great, with an AT2020, or SM57, or MXL whatever. If the ears are there, everything else will follow. Good mics just make it easier to make things sound better more quickly.

Claiming that a rebadged Alctron (or whatever) is equal or superior to a u47 or u67, and deserves their place in esteem and history, requires either delusion or a disturbing tolerance for marketing dishonesty.
Old 11th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

19 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger ➡️
I'm sure you're right. The fact is, a brilliant musician can create an entire record, and make it sound great, with an AT2020, or SM57, or MXL whatever. If the ears are there, everything else will follow. Good mics just make it easier to make things sound better more quickly.

Claiming that a rebadged Alctron (or whatever) is equal or superior to a u47 or u67, and deserves their place in esteem and history, requires either delusion or a disturbing tolerance for marketing dishonesty.
Mostly the latter I think and ...I foolishly fell for that. There's a cheapo Alctron mic which is the exact same mic in every way as the "Little Red Monster"
📝 Reply