The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Weird Audio W47 Mod 1
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG602 ➡️
Just ordered a 47 mod 1 for $700. Hoping it lives up to the hype here. There isn’t much on them posted anywhere. I saw another site where Weird Audio was getting ripped into pretty hard, but no actual audio samples were posted on either side. Hope I made the right call!
Actually can go to the website and hear a customer's rendition of the Frank Sinatra Classic "FLY ME TO THE MOON." With permission we have used this repeatedly and a double blind comparison to the original (the ultimate A/B test with the understanding that Frank used the best analogue gear in the world and remastered in 2008) and everyone, consummate professionals included, are blown away when they repeatedly pick our customer's cover as Frank, because it sounds better, warmer, richer, more present.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
For what it's worth - an Alctron / Stock Chinese mic CAN sound pretty good. Sometimes. See my shootout where the $110 TNC duked it out with much more expensive classic & modded mics :

***Mic-Mod Madness!!!***

Still, they are generally not my "go to" mics, and to not be honest about what's inside is not cool IMO. Interesting to see such polar opposite opinions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➡️
and to not be honest about what's inside is not cool IMO.
sure, the marketing is hyped, whatever... but who is being dishonest about "what's inside"? I don't see anyone that actually own the mics and use them making negative comments (btw I do own both models).

And yes, I have also purchased used gear from Guitar Center only to find it DOA as well. That sucked, I returned it to them and they gave me a full refund. I'm pretty sure it happens a lot.

Also whether anyone approves of it or not, Alctron and other overseas manufacturers have clones of about every mic out there (well, actually more than just mics - it's EVERYTHING). I see mics that look very similar to those from Shure, Audix, Warm Audio, Soyuz, Violet, Cascade, JZ, etc. Does that mean they are exactly the same? I sure hope not. and btw, having gotten suckered into buying a used Beta52a once only to discover it was a fake -- I can assure you that they do not all sound the same. I even contacted Shure to report it and they did not care. They simply said "please only buy Shure products from authorized dealers". So I did.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
For what it's worth - an Alctron / Stock Chinese mic CAN sound pretty good. Sometimes. ....

Still, they are generally not my "go to" mics, and to not be honest about what's inside is not cool IMO. Interesting to see such polar opposite opinions.
Really good points, DrB. Sociocultural and humanitarian issues aside (those are very important topics that deserve their own significant discussion outside of GS, in my opinion), I've been really fascinated by the development of China's higher-end manufacturing capabilities, particularly regarding musical equipment. Chinese guitars and saxophones were once universally derided, but now many can be quite good, and affordable. Same with keyboards and synthesizers, with many of the top Japanese companies manufacturing in China with very capable results.

I'm particularly a fan of 3U Audio, a small boutique company run by a wonderful Chinese-Australian electrical/acoustic engineer. Their mics are VERY good indeed, and all manufacturing is done in China (including their outstanding capsules, which other boutique companies and DIY gurus often employ). They're a good case study: Chinese manufacture does not equal poor quality or QC, not anymore. The same could very well apply to Alctron, Weird Audio, or any number of others. I'm in favor of affordable, capable tools. But there's plenty of noise to weed through.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldrummer ➡️
but who is being dishonest about "what's inside"?

Not specifically pointed at Weird. Just a generalized concept that seems to be running rampant as it seems there's a new mic company every week doing it.

IMO it should apply to everyone from Telefunken (remember??) on down. If you're going to rebrand an Alctron mic and not change a thing and charge a premium based on hype, you'd better be able to take the heat. (Telefunken is still living this down a decade later....)

If you're not simply rebranding with a bold new color scheme, I'd love and appreciate hearing about the changes you made without the hype. Just sayin'.....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Not specifically pointed at Weird. Just a generalized concept that seems to be running rampant as it seems there's a new mic company every week doing it.

IMO it should apply to everyone from Telefunken (remember??) on down. If you're going to rebrand an Alctron mic and not change a thing and charge a premium based on hype, you'd better be able to take the heat. (Telefunken is still living this down a decade later....)

If you're not simply rebranding with a bold new color scheme, I'd love and appreciate hearing about the changes you made without the hype. Just sayin'.....
Hear, hear! And, for what it's worth, Alctron already has some reasonably "rad" color schemes without any modification at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Weird Audio W47 Mod 1-screen-shot-2021-04-10-2.51.48-pm.jpg  
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger ➡️
Hear, hear! And, for what it's worth, Alctron already has some reasonably "rad" color schemes without any modification at all.
For transparency's sake note that (despite what the messages suggest) I have not and will not purchase one of these microphones, Below I will list the interaction I have had with this brand and the other interactions they have had with the public.

Personally, based on the actions of the CEO and the fact that they somehow claim the LRM mics to be U67/ELAM251 killers and those mics truly are entirely different beasts I'm not sure I can get behind this. Consider also the claimed use of a tube it is impossible to find any specifications for and supposed testimonials the CEO constantly falls back on with very little evidence to support they came from someone other than the brand themselves.

My studio runs on boutique mics from 3U, ADK and Groove Tubes, I've interacted directly with the owners of two of these brands and the family of the third as he has passed, never have I seen such blatant disregard for the concerns of the wider industry as Tommy shows here (except perhaps Dave from AA, he gets a bit crazy sometimes)

Buy them if you want, some people love them some people think they're just rebranded Alctrons but unless the situation changes drastically I don't think I will be patronising the establishment nor do I believe that the brand will last long enough to take them up on the 10 year buyback promise.

My Message :
"Hello,
I have found it difficult to locate any specifics regarding this brand of microphones beyond a few GS threads, though I am extremely intrigued as to the sound of the mic it's quite clear that this mic is at least related to a fairly common Chinese OEM mic, what upgrades have been made over the original Alctron offering?

Many thanks,"

Response 1 :
"Actually they are related to us. In fact, they have even started using our Rubicon capacitors. We share a common sleeve as many mic models and their clones do. Inside is my design. My 34 mm capsule and hole pattern my custom designed and German built 12AX7WAR tube. Many mics share that basic power supply and chord.

If you go to our website you can hear lots of contributors work. Also, your other mic already shipped via our FedEx account and shipping department will pass me that tracking number as soon as they get it to FedEx location and on their books as more than label created. I’m going to attach a pic of another very popular mic that is real as they come these days. Please return the mics to me if there is the least dissatisfaction with them as I have zero unhappy real customers, and will happily return your money.

Kindest regards,
Tommy"

Response 2 :
"This is NOT an Alctron
Upgraded mic"

Public comments from RGO forum from Tommy when the guys over there questioned his outlandish claims :

"People who love our mics: Robert Rodriguez - famed Producer and Movie Maker, Disney, Mike Kosacek - Contributor for TAPEOP MAGAZINE, Jonathan Grossman - Sound Producer for many famous movies,including CRAZY RICH ASIANS, Mark Del Castillo - famed Music Producer and Engineer, Guitar wizard for the world famous band DEL CASTILLO, Max Vox, Famed Voice Actor you here every day if you watch TV. These are all organic and real customers that we neither sought out or paid any kind of money to. These are but a few...Please listen to the mic. Weirdaudiotech.com. They sound fantastic! It all comes downs to sound. Go to the samples on the website weirdaudiotech.com

TAPE OP ARTICLE.pdf (612.57 KB)

Please, let's do a mic shoot out at a neutral studio. The truth is in the sound. We can open mics up as well, THE LITTLE RED MONSTER and the other mics too. See the difference - hear the difference.

Tommy here.
CEO
WEIRD AUDIO
weirdaudiotech.com.

Let me say, I appreciate your input and concern regarding these mics and I think I can allay your concerns if you will give me a chance. Please give me a chance. We are the underdog for sure. I could start by giving you my bon-fides in the business but most aren't going to read that far. I will say I got really upset as I dug down the rabbit hole regarding the big three mic companies that once produced fabulous mics to find that in general they were ALL selling knock offs of the originals. I knew I could come up with great mics in a pure pragmatic process that sounded better. Let's start with current scenario: Blue once made some of the finest hand made mics in the world, (I still have an early serial number hand-made Latvian Blue)but they were bought by Logitech, famous for mass production of cheap computer keyboards, etc., and now mass produce cheap mics that aren’t always so cheap! Neuman bought by Senheiser, Georg would turn over in his grave! Senheiser mass produced dynamic mics but had no experience with top shelf boutique mics. Neuman actually mostly used Gefell capsules, by the way, but on their website, you see a picture of a metal lathe as though they were traditional CNC experts and craftsmen in that regard. Senheiser certainly is not. But then again they quit polished brass tension rings on their capsules years ago and now use plastic on their K capsules whereas we use highly polished brass. Then there is Telefunken: By the way they never even built the ELAM 251 of yesteryear that was made by AKG and what they are making now is pure knockoff look a - likes (that I can have built for a few hundred dollars each) and sell for thousands. Well, it's not Telefunken anyway, it's Telefunken Electrocaustic, an American marketing company, that bought the rights to use the name Ultimately, most all of em then turn to the Ningbho district of China to mass produce knockoffs of the originals. All of this PISSED ME OFF! Young dudes graduate these schools here in Austin and believe they have to sacrifice themselves to buy crap because of the name on it. By the time I got way down deep in the rabbit hole I had developed sources in Asia where I found I could buy some of this stuff right off the line for a few hundred bucks each and I was tempted to do so - Not!!! I was REALLY PISSED! I felt used! The creative arts were enslaved and duped by this bull****!

We’ve been brain washed into believing the emperor's new clothes are dope. Star cracking open mics and comparing to yesteryear. It’s all come down to cheap mass production and maximum profit. That being said, come to Austin with any doubter of my mic with your fav 67 and shoot out with mine in a neutral studio. Invite the magazines. We can get some attention I promise. Might get Rupert to check in - you never know - he lives 30 miles from here these days. I'll slay that dragon. No Bull****. Let's do the real damn thing! My $550 mic against the $5,500 mic and don’t even bring a piece of crap fet fake!

Back to Ningbho district. Ningbho uses a variety of corpoarate vehicles used to represent a group of mic element maker groups basically subsidized by the State. There are various names thus used in this district when going to market, and they private label and or build for damn near everyone one thing or another. Do not get me wrong! There IS definitely some fabulous mic making talent there but not behind every door. Many of those doors open to cheap mass production where there is a market. China operates this way - you want chemicals or lab creations, bio medical - that's the Wuhan district, Apple phones are made in another district. (Whole cities have been built for that!) You want microphones - that's Ningbho. Now there is major slight of hand going on. You can get your goods delivered to America and do final assembly here and say your mic is American made for example. Even when they are really assembled in toto here inside you are going to find electronic components mostly made in China even when they are painted and labeled some other way. How do I know? Even before I knew all of this I started opening a lot of mics, have been for years actually. Take the time to find certified production white papers. Go see them make these hand wound American transformers and caps. Arrange to buy some "off the line.” And at the door! Watch them make them and ask what goes inside. I'm going to be doing video blogs on all of this soon.

Back to our mics. When we decided to make mics we were all from the business and not the DYI - do it yourself - side. We wanted the stars of CNC processes, and sputterists (lol) gold or otherwise.(We have our own PVC M7 capsule coming out soon for you purists, btw) We wanted simple but elegant electronics packages and in truth - mic electronics are not complicated. We wanted the best that could be made by the guys that made the best stuff in each area of the mic. We wanted a sleeve that was striking and a name that was memorable, and we wanted to sound better than the big corporate knockoffs, but once more we wanted mics that sounded fabulous, and thus was born the LITTLE RED MONSTER.

Point one – mic sleeves – we went shopping: SLEEVES DO NOT MAKE THE MIC in most case by the way – the sound does. MANY microphones out there these day share the exact if not similar sleeve as other mics. Case in point: All of the ELAM 251 copies out there, everyone has a yellow tube these days, Warm Audio, Alctron, Telefunken Electrokaustic, add infinitum. The U47 sleeve is ubiquitous!!! By the way: We make one and I think we might just have the best one ever made - go listen to our sound files at weirdaudiotech.com/u47 PLEASE! be sure to listen to the clip in the video bottom page, Fly Me 2D Moon, and compare that to Frank Sinatra's original Fly Me To The Moon that he remastered in 2008, always using the best gear in the world! But, in sleeves, WE DID NOT WANT TO LOOK LIKE A NEUMAN or a this or that, we shopped high and low and landed on one that Alctron also uses - one other mic! They can't even be used in NORTH America right now, those sleeves!!! Guilty! we use a sleeve that one other mic uses! We uses a similar, ubiquitous power supply. Go look at all the clone world first please!!! From U87's to Beta 57's so many copy cat sleeves! Now what is inside our mic? Magic. Magic design that we don;t have patented nor does anyone (Elon Musk who I have come to love recently said ANYONE CAN USE OUR PATENTS! Basically that if anyone can iMprove on them it helps us all. That said, We definitely tweak our design and offer it to anyone. I doubt they know our capsule magic and other tricks.

We use a very strange tube in the LITTLE RED MONSTER these days, hand-made in Germany, the 12AW7WAR. YOU WON'T FIND THIS TUBE IN ANY OTHER MIC WE KNOW OF! Our mics sound incredible! Look at our accolades on the website! LISTEN TO THE SAMPLES. When the CEO of a sound company contracted for many major motion pictures not only loves the mic, but sends us samples free of charge he likes the mic so much, it's like praising one of my children. Soon, same dude is going to check out our versions of the U47 as well. It was such an honor to be invited into his domain and watch him test the LITTLE RED MONSTER. You have to see the PROOF OF THIS and listen to it on website. weirdaudiotech.com. He APPROACHED US! Was so very cool. It meant the world to me! He and his guys new Steven Paul mods and all of it, but they loved our LITTLE RED MONSTER!

Now then, why was the LITTLE RED MONSTER advertised with ELAM 251, U67 LIKE title? Two reasons, it compares very favorably in dynamics with them both but mostly for search results. On those particular channels, in this day and age, the LITTLE RED MONSTER would never have been seen without this bs. Not always going to be that way. Joneppstein is absolutely correct about the capsule wiring difference between the two mics he mentioned.

And as to the bull**** about the buy-back. It's not bull****. I stand by that. Buy it now and I will buy it back gladly, in ten years for twice what you pay for it now. That offer is good until October 1. Our price is going up again as our overhead increases. There is more to come from us, believe me. And the more detractors we get the more opportunity we get to tear the gust out of our competitor’s mics and practices. Some of that could get real messy if some of you guys are not careful because I will literally tear down builds via video blog. But, I am going to quit taking shots at the local builders. Forgive me you guys. Give me a weak and I will change the wording throughout our adds and public statements. I want to be totally in the corner of the local guys. I have the utmost respect for their endeavors. Let’s help and not hurt each other.

And, lastly, in person I am not an arrogant ass and I hope I don’t sound like one here. I am definitely not like anyone you know. Story is long and not always wholesome. Maybe a little bigger than me in it’s craziness. So many miles. I’m grateful to be alive. It’s a miracle. But at 63, I’ve recorded double platinum artists and double Grammy winners, written some unknown books and songs, I can curl, 185 lbs (that’s very rare), bench over 315 for reps most days (not so rare), and do 505 pound shrugs for reps (a little on the rare side). I cut my teeth in the business in LA many years ago, top of the tower, Capitol records, wide-eyed intern for a minute. Ben Edmonds was my mentor. Later I did a lot of stuff I never got credit for. So be it. Today, and, by God, (quite literally), I have some of the best damn mics in the world! Come see me. Ill prove it to ya. All the above. Maybe buy you lunch, dinner, or both. Jam some in the studio or get some acoustic magic going on the back porch, kick it some of awesome live venues we have here. Would love to meet ya.

Tommy
WEIRD AUDIO"

"Oh! By the way johneppstein, all transformers produce something of a hum. Get a scope and a mic and an anachoic chamber and check it out. Go stand next to one of the big ones someday and listen. I've recorded many of them. And, the old Neuman BVO8 transformers were a big pain in the ass in all of their iterations in regards to the U47. Very well documented reality there. It was one of the reasons Georg decided to make the U67. What I say about our transformers is that it is crazy to make un-precise hand wound transformer when you can make a near perfectly wound transformer via computerized precise production procedure. We can all still use an outhouse if we so desire but modern plumbing just seems to be superior. Also, a precision made transformer also needs to be shielded so your super sensitive transducting capsule doesn't pick up any of the transformers attributes.The old BV08 was too big to shield. DO A SHOOTOUT WITH OUR Weird 47 and an old U47. There is just no denying the difference. You can compare Franks original recordings with our cover ones on our website weirdaudiotech.com. He had the best stuff in the world on all levels to work with. And remastered in 2008. Check it out. Be honest about the difference."

"JHe you utter idiot - go on to the app wish and dial in U87 and you'll see where your precious German mics are coming from - People who love our mics: Robert Rodriguez - famed Producer and Movie Maker, Disney, Mike Kosacek - Contributor for TAPEOP MAGAZINE, Jonathan Grossman - Sound Producer for many famous movies,including CRAZY RICH ASIANS, Mark Del Castillo - famed Music Producer and Engineer, Guitar wizard for the world famous band DEL CASTILLO, Max Vox, Famed Voice Actor you here every day if you watch TV. These are all organic and real customers that we neither sought out or paid any kind of money to. These are but a few... Johnepstein old buddy I love your spunk. But the world ain't flat, I promise it's round. You keep mis-applying my words, and showing your lack of knowledge. I know the differnce in an AKG capsules and and M7/K7 capsule seeing how I make em. You want to see our non-center terminated breakthrough aluminum capsule prototype to prove it? Or an AKG capsule in our lab? Do you know what a transducer is? And Yes condenser is a capacitor of sorts that uses minuscule amounts of electricity. In fact in the old world they still refer to them in some parts as capacitor mics. And the anachoic chamber can be used to block out all noise in order to MEASURE transformer hum by golly. Not as a shield for a transformer. I'm not your enemy brother. Too much there for me to keep going on. Busy here. Really busy.

And cheap tube? Come on man. A straight 12AX7 is a noisy bitch. Thank God we don't use one! And the hand made German tube we do use ain't cheap. (We use a 12AX7 WAR) It cost more than the average tube used by any of my competitors. Then there is the 7025's we use in our 47's - real 7025's I might add - military grade. Now I have a collection of everything from old Mullards, Telefunkens, and a variety of very expensive NOS RCA 7025's from the 60s. But our hand made German tube beats them all and yes all of this was a daring concept design wise. God bless you Epstein. Hope we can get real with each other sooner rather than later. You can talk directly to me. Call me Tommy.

In regards, shootouts - I'm game as described otherwise a small studio in Virginia already kicked the crap out of the pristine legacy recordings of Frank Sinatra using our mics and and Avalon 737 on vocal and I forget what he used on clean guitar cabinet off the top of my head. None of this work did I solicit or pay for. I'm super super grateful for the contributions. Wish you guys would LISTEN to the mic. That's what you do for a living. Make and judge great sound. Right??? Come on! I'll help you any way I can.

And, yes, the guys that make your BL mics and your Ne mics and your Te mics are all mostly in Ningbho! The really really good manufacturers are there! You are already buying that "crap!" I do use German stuff and Russian stuff, etc. too, in my mics."

"I was attacked on this forum last post some 3 months ago. Probably prompted by a competitor. I waited until I had some ducks to shoot at/ out. Hope some one would bother with being fair. I am not looking for new users here. I was already assassinated here - judged by the color of my skin or sleeve I should say before anyone bothered to listen to one single thing made on my mics. Or figure out why I make em. No one has ever even seen one from here. Damnit guys! We are supposed to be the artistic enlightened open minded leaders of our art. So I hope someone can hear the truth and just say it. Listen to the mics!"
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEDrums ➡️
I was more or less settled on a Vanguard V13, but this thread is making me think twice. Does anyone have experience with that mic as well as these? I’m looking for something to mainly record acoustic instruments- sax, upright bass, drum rooms, etc.
I can only tell you that if you buy the WEIRD 47 and compare it to any other mic in your locker, and are not satisfied with it, we will accept the return without hesitation.

The ultimate A/B test of our WEIRD 47 Mod 1 occurred when minimumwagerecording - a small room in Virginia, recorded the cover FLY ME TO THE MOON. This was an organic contribution that we did not sponsor, or even know existed until they sent us the wonderful results. All other well known recordings of the FRANK SINATRA hit, later to be recorded also by the likes of Tony Benet, using the original 47's, and those recording were found to be inferior even though those great performers used the best analogue recording gear in the world, and FRANK SINATRA's catalogue owner, Universal Studios, remastered his in 2008. Also, the LITTLE RED MONSTER has now been used on some music for an upcoming installment of THE MANDELORIAN, where in the past LUCAS FILMS used almost always Klause Heinse modded Neuman U47's. Some have said that we have defeated, if not yet replaced, 40 years of German microphone technology with our offerings, which actually represent a collage of different - if not disparate - microphone ingredients. Our detractors have often said that we have only copied a single other mic maker with our gear. This could not be further from the truth. Our 47 is an evolution, not a copy. And the LITTLE RED MONSTER also represents the best parts of a number of other manufacturers from three different countries.
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregkat ➡️
Found a used W47 at Guitar Center Austin. Had it shipped to Atlanta. Serial number #2 . Went to plug it in and it didn't work. Took off the sleeve and noticed a wire from the diaphragm had come loose. Contacted Tommy at Weird Audio about which contact point to solder to and he said that it was a prototype mic and that he would replace it for me. Wow, that's customer service! Can't wait to try it out.
My brother! Something certainly strange about that mic! I have no idea where it will resurface again. Ha! But once more it has disappeared! We are quite certain it has not again been shipped to a customer, and we would like to track it down, as we are now preserving 01 and 03 and a few other early serial numbers. We never really thought about those things until lately.
Here for the gear
Quote:
Chinese manufacturing seems to have come a long way. I have a couple iSK mics that were very inexpensive and work well, as well as a 3U mic that I absolutely adore (but that's a little different since Guosheng has small-boutique-level QC). These do look like they're similar to Alctron-made mics that are rebadged by various brands, and maybe he does some quality mods to upgrade them. That would be cool, and I'm sure these are capable of delivering quality results. The option of a Thiersch capsule upgrade is very cool!

But man, this website is tough to read. Directly copied from one of the pages (typos, marketing hyperbole, and historical inaccuracies left intact):

"LIQUID SOUND - ELEGANT DESIGN

Our mics are amazing works of art - sure to be collectors pieces. Why try to copy old designs that the parts are no longer available for? Does anyone believe that the sixty year old U-47, or the U-67 microphone design would never be equaled or improved upon? The key issues back then were how to do the fine machining required for a superior, gold sputtered mic capsule, and how to produce a consistent-quality-vacuum tube and transformer. The capsules, then as now, were manufactured by Microtech Geffel and serviced for many years by Sigfried Thiersch. But the ability to do the fine machining has come a long way and is light years beyond 1940’s capabilities, with the advent of lasers and micro-accurate CNC processes. Our machining is extremely accurate today utilizing these new technologies and is reflected in our capsules. Besides our own fine capsules we do offer models featuring capsules made by Thiersch Electrocaustic, using either the original M47 PVC or the Mylar which came later, and these mics have phenomenal legacy sound. But try our setup first. You won’t be disapointed."

I mean... pro audio enthusiasts tend to be much better-informed than average consumers. Confusing a K47 with an M7, and not realizing the difference between Neumann capsules and Gefell capsules, does not inspire confidence. Neither does claiming your mics are "sure to be collectors [sic] pieces."

It sounds like this guy has been very good about customer service, and that says a lot. I want Austin-based companies to be successful, too. I just wish he'd get some help with his website copy!
I am slowly being divested of all my secrets - one of them is that we actually borrow some technology and incorporate parts from four or five manufacturers, one of them you mentioned, is now switching to our hybrid capacitors. Many, many, mics share sleeves - the 47's and 251 sleeves are ubiquitous. We certainly use two completely different capsule manufacturers and you won't find those capsules in other mics, even though they assembled and mimicked a few time here and there by others from common parts, they simply do not have our superior technology. For example: we quit determining the thickness of a diaphragm with a micrometer and focused more on the true molecular weight of the base material. Hmmm. Go figure out that one.
Here for the gear
Quote:
I'm sure you're right. The fact is, a brilliant musician can create an entire record, and make it sound great, with an AT2020, or SM57, or MXL whatever. If the ears are there, everything else will follow. Good mics just make it easier to make things sound better more quickly.

Claiming that a rebadged Alctron (or whatever) is equal or superior to a u47 or u67, and deserves their place in esteem and history, requires either delusion or a disturbing tolerance for marketing dishonesty.
Brilliant musicianship and brilliant engineering are completely different art forms for anyone who truly understands either. That is like saying a brilliant computer technician could create a nuclear weapon in his bathroom. So from my 50 years of experience I will have to disagree. Trolls be warned - the real and true cool kids see you for what you are. My microphones need no further validation, and none of you have bothered to buy mic A or B.
For those who wonder what our mics really sound like, listen now to the voice of Geico or go watch a new installment of the Mandelorian. I challenge you to identify when our mics are in use and when they are not. You have missed the boat and missed the point. Weird Man is watching you! HA!
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates ➡️
Mostly the latter I think and ...I foolishly fell for that. There's a cheapo Alctron mic which is the exact same mic in every way as the "Little Red Monster"
This is a totally false statement and you are lying through your teeth because anyone who has ever opened the two sided by side will quickly see the difference. You are a silly troll after all. You obviously have never heard the difference either.
Lives for gear

19 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiusmax ➡️
This is a totally false statement and you are lying through your teeth because anyone who has ever opened the two sided by side will quickly see the difference. You are a silly troll after all. You obviously have never heard the difference either.
I'm guessing you are from the "weird audio" company? I admit I have not "opened the two sided by side" but...I did have one of your "Little Red Monster" It was one of the worst mics I have ever heard. It's possible I suppose but I don't see how the Alctron version could sound any worse.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
I'm guessing you are from the "weird audio" company? I admit I have not "opened the two sided by side" but...I did have one of your "Little Red Monster" It was one of the worst mics I have ever heard. It's possible I suppose but I don't see how the Alctron version could sound any worse.
He is the owner, as per my previous comment here he makes himself available on forums to attack those that question the quality of his microphones. Whenever justifying the quality he makes the same arguments "lots of famous recordings use our mics, listen to the frank sinatra cover, our tube is custom made" but they never say anything of substance.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiusmax ➡️
Tommy, if you want to be taken seriously on this forum you need to stop falling back onto the same arguments, what we really want to know about is the quality of your mics, for instance:

1, Where are your capsules sourced from ? are they custom, do you get them from a reputable designer like GZ (3U Audio) or are they off the shelf standard Chinese wholesale?

2, We know the mics have a 12AW7WAR tube, however there is no information about this tube online at all, you say it is custom designed and built for you in Germany but what difference is there between this custom tube and a standard off the shelf model? How is the tube being used in the circuit?

3, You constantly refer to 'other companies' but won't say their names anywhere other than the titles of your eBay listings. We don't care about "the best parts of a number of other manufacturers from three different countries" we care about knowing what is going into the mic and from where, without this information that you seem unwilling to give it is difficult to judge whether this mic should even be considered.

I understand not wanting to reveal trade secrets but come on, the reason we get along with Larry V, GZ and tolerate Dave Thomas (joke) is that they can have a conversation with us where we can all discuss the design of the microphones and what makes them special, so far with you the only thing we know for sure is that the tube is unobtanium (so maybe no tube rolling? Who knows? Not us for sure) and that you borrow design elements from other manufacturers....... That's it........
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Some have said that we have defeated, if not yet replaced, 40 years of German microphone technology with our offerings, which actually represent a collage of different - if not disparate - microphone ingredients. Our detractors have often said that we have only copied a single other mic maker with our gear. This could not be further from the truth. Our 47 is an evolution, not a copy. And the LITTLE RED MONSTER also represents the best parts of a number of other manufacturers from three different countries.
This sounds interesting. I look forward to trying one out.
FWIW , I'm not a big fan of companies cloning existing 'classics' .
Just one word of advice which I got from my late grandfather who fought WII ,
"Don't let those German Detractors get to you !"
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdasloth ➡️

2, We know the mics have a 12AW7WAR tube, however there is no information about this tube online at all, you say it is custom designed and built for you in Germany but what difference is there between this custom tube and a standard off the shelf model? How is the tube being used in the circuit?
See his quotes above - he states it's a:
"custom designed and German built 12AX7WAR"

Also check the site: https://www.weirdaudiotech.com/littleredmonster

Says: "We utilize a precision machined, 34mm dual gold sputtered diaphragm capsule and premium custom made German 12AX7WAR vacuum tube."

So maybe he made a typo - 12AT7 would be preferable to any 12AX7, so there's that.

The 12AX7WA is not a new 'custom' design. Neither is the 12AX7WA-R.
It's offered as a 3dB quieter option for guitar amps. See StewMac page.

The German made claim, if current production, seems unlikely. All the great tube factories of Germany are long since closed. But, some of the production line gear was sold. And sent to Russia. To be used by Sovtek. https://www.thetubestore.com/sovtek-12ax7-wa
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I’m sorry, but after reading through this thread it would take a lot to convince me to ever buy anything from this company. In this day and age, you’re not going to get a good following and earn people’s trust by handling yourself like the owner has in this thread. Read back through all the interactions with the owner in here, then jump somewhere like the AudioScape thread. Completely different atmosphere.

My only takeaway from this thread is that Weird Audio has little desire to be transparent or cordial. Unfortunately, things rarely seem to turn out well for business owners that conduct themselves like this.
Lives for gear

19 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoBastardo ➡️
See his quotes above - he states it's a:
"custom designed and German built 12AX7WAR"

The German made claim, if current production, seems unlikely. All the great tube factories of Germany are long since closed. But, some of the production line gear was sold. And sent to Russia. To be used by Sovtek. https://www.thetubestore.com/sovtek-12ax7-wa
That is total nonsense. There are no tubes being manufactured in Germany. Current production tubes are made in China or Russia. By the way...all of them are inferior to just about any and all NOS American and British tubes.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That is total nonsense. There are no tubes being manufactured in Germany. Current production tubes are made in China or Russia. By the way...all of them are inferior to just about any and all NOS American and British tubes.
Ya, I double checked just to make sure and I can’t find any current tubes being made in Germany.
Old 3 weeks ago
I don’t know about you guys, but when I set out to buy a microphone, I mostly base my decision on how much the CEO can curl. 185 lbs? Dang! I’m sold!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There is so much more hubris in the audio industry now that anyone who can satisfy the minimum order qty from Alctron can have a “company”. I mean, kind of entertaining to watch I suppose but I feel bad for inexperienced buyers trying to sift through all the bull**** out there.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Norton ➡️
I don’t know about you guys, but when I set out to buy a microphone, I mostly base my decision on how much the CEO can curl. 185 lbs? Dang! I’m sold!
lol... You're missing the point (or your sarcasm is going over my head, haha). When you get into this kind of price bracket with these kinds of claims, I've seen this repeatedly go one of two ways: Most of the time, there's some shady stuff going on as far as marketing goes and someone is literally putting a paint job on some mass produced Chinese product and trying to convince people they're doing something different. It happens all the time. Second way this goes, you've actually got a company that's figured out a smart way to do things and is actually customizing a common platform and making it better, at a great price.

I've seen WAY more dishonest companies pop up over the years and try to pull one over on people. In my experience, the way the owner of the company carries themselves is pretty telling and a good judge of what's actually going on. The same thing happened when Vanguard Audio first started popping up with their V13 a few years ago. I started hearing from some people that it was an amazing mic, well built. It seemed like there was some sort of connection with them and Avantone, so I was pretty leery at that price point. Then their owner started popping up on social media, was really open and accommodating with questions, so I took a chance. I'm glad I did, because they're a great company and Derek is a stand up guy. Hard working and honest. Great product at a great price and a smart way of doing business.

I'm not getting a good impression so far. As they say on Shark Tank, "For those reasons, I'm out.". I would rather do business with someone that's clearly not trying to sell me Kia with a Jaguar badge on it. This market is completely oversaturated, so you can bet that I'm going to be cautious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv ➡️
lol... You're missing the point (or your sarcasm is going over my head, haha). When you get into this kind of price bracket with these kinds of claims, I've seen this repeatedly go one of two ways: Most of the time, there's some shady stuff going on as far as marketing goes and someone is literally putting a paint job on some mass produced Chinese product and trying to convince people they're doing something different. It happens all the time. Second way this goes, you've actually got a company that's figured out a smart way to do things and is actually customizing a common platform and making it better, at a great price.

I've seen WAY more dishonest companies pop up over the years and try to pull one over on people. In my experience, the way the owner of the company carries themselves is pretty telling and a good judge of what's actually going on. The same thing happened when Vanguard Audio first started popping up with their V13 a few years ago. I started hearing from some people that it was an amazing mic, well built. It seemed like there was some sort of connection with them and Avantone, so I was pretty leery at that price point. Then their owner started popping up on social media, was really open and accommodating with questions, so I took a chance. I'm glad I did, because they're a great company and Derek is a stand up guy. Hard working and honest. Great product at a great price and a smart way of doing business.

I'm not getting a good impression so far. As they say on Shark Tank, "For those reasons, I'm out.". I would rather do business with someone that's clearly not trying to sell me Kia with a Jaguar badge on it. This market is completely oversaturated, so you can bet that I'm going to be cautious.
But he has “recorded double platinum artists and double Grammy winners” ... ! I mean, maybe he doesn’t mention any names or have any evidence but we should take his word for it, right?

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Norton ➡️
But he has “recorded double platinum artists and double Grammy winners” ... ! I mean, maybe he doesn’t mention any names or have any evidence but we should take his word for it, right?

Over a year of COVID making all of us crazy has destroyed my sarcasm radar.

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I for one am the best mixer around here but won't let you hear my work. Just trust me and my secret methods .
OK?

Matti
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti ➡️
I for one am the best mixer around here but won't let you hear my work. Just trust me and my secret methods .
OK?

Matti
More than OK. I'm getting amazing feedback from my top secret tutorial series about your secret mix methods that explains nothing, other than my secret marketing methods - which can't be explained in words, only in sales.

Quote:
Over a year of COVID making all of us crazy has destroyed my sarcasm radar.

Haha! Sarcasm aside, I agree with your post.

I will say this... there is a "possibility" that Weird Audio's mics are actually good, and that Tommy is just a poor communicator online and hired a novice to build his website.

If this is the case, and Tommy- if you are reading this... I would kindly recommend hiring someone to clean up your website, including the copy, and perhaps someone else to manage your marketing and social media.

Less hyperbole and more transparency would be great. For instance, it would only help you to have an FAQ on your site that answers the question "is this just a rebranded alctron, and if not what is the difference?" You can't just claim that your parts and technology are superior without giving any real information.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Custom presicion whatever isn't saying anything about the capsule than any other Chineese made capsule maker can say. At least Warm tells you you are paying for an AMI transformer, they name the capacitors, tube , and a 3U capsule. You may or may not like some of those and prefer the 5 dollar transformers that come stock in Alctron brand mics and in your particular case may sound great, but not telling anyone what brand of capsule or transformer, is code for, it is the typical Alctron models. So, what are you paying for. At least with Warm Audio you know what it is you are paying for. Then you can choose if it works for you.

Last edited by Coldsnow; 3 weeks ago at 12:32 AM..
Gear Nut

Quote:
The same thing happened when Vanguard Audio first started popping up with their V13 a few years ago. I started hearing from some people that it was an amazing mic, well built. It seemed like there was some sort of connection with them and Avantone, so I was pretty leery at that price point. Then their owner started popping up on social media, was really open and accommodating with questions, so I took a chance. I'm glad I did, because they're a great company and Derek is a stand up guy. Hard working and honest. Great product at a great price and a smart way of doing business.
I think the exact same way about ADK and 3U, I genuinely believe I could fill all the condenser needs of my studio with mics from these two companies and if I didn't need ribbons and dynamics all the new (Not quite ready to give up my GT67 just yet) mics in my studio would be from those two.
📝 Reply