The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
sE Electronics sE7 vs. Rode M5
Old 9th July 2020
Here for the gear

sE Electronics sE7 vs. Rode M5 for harpsichord

Hi, everyone,

I am looking for a pair of small condenser microphones to record some harpsichord under $200 (student budget). Currently, the sE Electronics sE7 and Rode M5 matched pairs are the most appealing to me. I know the former has lower self-noise compared to the latter (16 DB vs. 19 DB); however, the Rode M5 is far more well-known. Does anyone have experience between the two? I am also open to other budget-friendly recommendations. I am returning my $99 LyxPro SDPC-2 as the self-noise was terrible.

Thanks.
Old 1st October 2020
Here for the gear

Hi, literally in the same position as you. Did you find any answers/ what did you end up buying? Thanks
Old 18th November 2020
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Wondering the same thing myself. I'm looking to record piano and drums (SDC pair+kick drum mic only). The sE7 has the 80Hz HPF and -20dB pad as well as lower noise, but the M5 has the flatter frequency response curve. I was also looking the Lewitt LCT 040 and Audio-Technica AT2021, but none stand out to me. If only I could afford a pair of SR25...
Old 18th November 2020
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I've generally found the sE SDC to be smoother and more pleasing sounding than then Røde, unless you're getting into the TF5 with is far more than $200.
Old 9th December 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I posted a similar question. I'm leaning toward the Line CM4s based on other threads on here...
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Same here. But I'm trying to decide between the SE Electronics SE7s and the Lewitt LCT 040 match. They're both around the same price for the pair ($200 for SE and 190 for the Lewitts). I'm wondering which offer better matching for stereo recording. The Lewitts actually have the word "MATCH" in them -- truth or marketing?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jester2900 ➡️
I posted a similar question. I'm leaning toward the Line CM4s based on other threads on here...
This is the move I would make in this budget, with this goal (or any other, pretty much).

I did the SDC belaboring thing, decided on Shure KSM141s before buying BLUE Hummingbirds for, well, the cost of one BLUE Hummingbird on sale (it was buy one/get one). For all of the developments that have made good mics cheap, like great electrets or parts being cheaper or Asian production or things getting cheaper over time and scale, the SDC is the probably the product that has gotten the best for the cheapest. I'm hesitant to suggest anything else because the CM4 is supposed to be so good for so cheap.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbear ➡️
Hi, everyone,

I am looking for a pair of small condenser microphones to record some harpsichord under $200 (student budget). Currently, the sE Electronics sE7 and Rode M5 matched pairs are the most appealing to me. I know the former has lower self-noise compared to the latter (16 DB vs. 19 DB); however, the Rode M5 is far more well-known. Does anyone have experience between the two? I am also open to other budget-friendly recommendations. I am returning my $99 LyxPro SDPC-2 as the self-noise was terrible.

Thanks.
Probably long settled... but I used a pair of E7's to record a piano a few weeks ago. Very good mics for $200 pair.
📝 Reply