bcd

Old 31st October 2002
Founder

Cool!

Is that being made now?

Old 31st October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes, by Tony Arnold, Britain's resident Ampex/Helios guru. I have a couple of those (in module form) in a little lunch box and have used them alongside "historic" modules and they are very good and a bargain considering how much he's asking for them. By the way Jules, Tony would be the perfect guy to ask for a refurb/check up/output tranny retrofit of your Helios rack.

Everybody that works at my place fall in love with the little black box...heh They can be a bit iffy to interface with sometimes (I like how that sounds...) as they are so identical to the original ones as to have inherited their flaws... (i.e.: self oscillating at high gain with the eq on, weird phase reverse circuit, line in and line out NOT balanced and NOT +4 (my biggest complaint really) and being somewhat prone to hum or RF problems in less than stellar setups.) Some of this can be taken care of by adding high quality output trannies with some gain step up.

All in all, not really a super user-friendly product and somewhat limited featurewise in this day and age. However, with these and their predecessors, everything has to do with SOUND!!! grggt
Old 31st October 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I assume you folks have seen the 8 channel rack on E-bay? Buy it now, for a paltry 25G's! Yow!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...item=916920595
Old 31st October 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
That's real purty. What's it going for in USD and any idea where I can find one on this side of the pond?
Old 31st October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You have to order them directly from Tony. My 2 modules lunchbox was 1500 pounds. The dual rackmount version was not available at that time but I think it's the same price either way you want them. Last time I checked, original racked ones were going for more than twice as much. And original ones are notoriously unreliable as the switches used were very cheap and the general construction somewhat flaky.

They really sound like the originals with perhaps a bit more air. That may well be due to capacitors starting to show age in the vintage ones. In any case, they have the same great mid's that Mike Tholen gets crazy about. And the low shelf boost isn't too shabby either... Remembers me a bit of the late Pultec's with API op-amps make-up gain stage.

The general tone of Helios modules is tight and present. Not as fat but more hi-fi than Neve's. Tracks cut with them separates very well from those tracked thru Neve's in a mix.

Here's Tony's email in case anyone wants to get in touch with him:

[email protected]

Have fun!
Old 31st October 2002
Founder

" By the way Jules, Tony would be the perfect guy to ask for a refurb/check up/output tranny retrofit of your Helios rack.

Everybody that works at my place fall in love with the little black box... They can be a bit iffy to interface with sometimes (I like how that sounds...) as they are so identical to the original ones as to have inherited their flaws... (i.e.: self oscillating at high gain with the eq on, weird phase reverse circuit, line in and line out NOT balanced and NOT +4 (my biggest complaint really) and being somewhat prone to hum or RF problems in less than stellar setups.) Some of this can be taken care of by adding high quality output trannies with some gain step up."

So you are saying thenewly made ones exibit the poblems I want FIXED on mine?!

I was hopeing to get mine made properly +4

Ashley Tony emailed me saying he had been away.. I must get round to it. But AFTER a Stones /Who style band I have coming up!

Old 1st November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Then you MUST use the Helios profusely on that gig if you want to do it properly!
Old 1st November 2002
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I've got a couple of things to add.
First off, Β£1500 for two modules is a bargain!
That 8 module rig on ebay is a joke. The very same rig is (or was) available from Vintage King in Detroit for $18,000.
I've got a pair of original Helios similar to Tony's reissue. I also need them servicing but I've been finding it very hard to communicate with Tony.
Old 1st November 2002
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Oh P.S.
Before you consign your Helios to vocal duties only, they are supposed to be amazing on drums (actually the top kit or overheads).
Old 1st November 2002
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
On not very much I'm afraid.
I've only had them a short while and they surely need a service.
I bought them primarily to record drums.
As I said, a very knowledgeable engineer friend of mine said they were killer on cymbals and the like.
Old 2nd November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I use the Helios modules for acoustic gtrs, some electric gtrs, some vocals, lotsa drums... Actually, I usually base my choices more on tonality than instrument type. I'll use the Helios modules where I want a tight, present but smooth, punchy quality to the tone. Whereas I'll use my 1066's when I want to add some fat around the waist, and a thick and smooth quality to the track. Also for the sound of its distortion artifacts. I'll use the Telefunken's for their airy/shiny top and liquid/soft bottom. The API's for punch and a little hardness. The solid-state Avalon for their lightning fast transients handling, larger than life size and extended frequency spectrum.

The Helios'es definitely serve a purpose in my color palette.yuktyy
Old 16th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
They have a lot of gain so that's not a problem per se. One of their major flaws though is that they tend to self-oscillate when you engage the eq over 60dB of gain. It's a flaw of the originals that got "cloned" faithfully... If the mics are in shape anyway you'll get major tone and probably won't miss the eq...
Old 1st May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso
I've got a couple of things to add.
First off, Β£1500 for two modules is a bargain!
That 8 module rig on ebay is a joke. The very same rig is (or was) available from Vintage King in Detroit for $18,000.
I've got a pair of original Helios similar to Tony's reissue. I also need them servicing but I've been finding it very hard to communicate with Tony.
Dear Chrisso,
Have only just come across this thread, and I am sorry you have had problems contacting me
Here is my contact details.

Best Regards

Tony
Tony Arnold (Director)
www.helios-electronics.com.
Old 1st May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arny
Dear Chrisso,
Have only just come across this thread, and I am sorry you have had problems contacting me

Best Regards

Tony
Tony Arnold (Director)
I think you're four years too late.....something tells me he's moved on by now.
Old 16th August 2006 | Show parent
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arny ➑️
Dear Chrisso,

Best Regards

Tony
Tony Arnold (Director)

Good to see you on here Tony!

There is a lot of Helios chatter here at Gearslutz.com

I have 4 old black ones racked up that were from the Ronnie Lane Mobile truck.. & love them. I've also had my hands on some new modules at Funky Junk UK and envied the brand new knobs & switches...

Jules
Gearslutz.com Admin
Old 20th August 2006 | Show parent
DRC
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just curious, does anyone other than Vintage King make racks for the Helios modules? At $2800 for a rack of 8 modules that cost $1500 a piece I was just wondering if there was an alternative.
And by the way, Im not saying that they are overpriced because I dont know how much labor goes into making them. Im just curious thats all.
Old 10th September 2006 | Show parent
DRC
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC ➑️
Just curious, does anyone other than Vintage King make racks for the Helios modules? At $2800 for a rack of 8 modules that cost $1500 a piece I was just wondering if there was an alternative.
And by the way, Im not saying that they are overpriced because I dont know how much labor goes into making them. Im just curious thats all.
Bump.

Looked into Brent Averill and they dont touch the stuff. Anyone else?
Old 11th September 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
VK's are $2200 actually and Boutique Audio makes an 8way for $2500. All said and done, they're still good bang for the buck at around $1700/ch including rack.

Quote:
weird phase reverse circuit, line in and line out NOT balanced and NOT +4
I don't think they copied the phase circuit IIRC, I think it was upgraded for the RI's. Yeah line out is .775
Old 14th February 2007 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Old thread, I know. I am confused. if you do a search, there are two Helios companies out of the UK doing business as Helios and making gear. Anyone know the story?

http://www.helios-electronics.com/index.htm

http://www.helios-audio.com/index.htm
πŸ“ Reply