The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PCM41 with MIDI ?
Old 11th April 2020
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
PCM41 with MIDI ?

Hi
Im a zero when it comes to rack&midi so I hope this place can help me... theres a way to control, even very partially, a PCM41 with MIDI ? Id like to have a couple different delay options on the same PCM41 unit...

Thanks for any info/help on this
Old 11th April 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by recordT ➡️
Hi
Im a zero when it comes to rack&midi so I hope this place can help me... theres a way to control, even very partially, a PCM41 with MIDI ? Id like to have a couple different delay options on the same PCM41 unit...

The PCM 41 has no MIDI capabilities. Its analog.

You can have a many delay options (meaning sounds) you want with that unit. Just set it to the settings you want and run your audio through it. when your song, set it again and run your audio through it. The option are endless
Old 11th April 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Sometimes after a while you start wondering why you ever killfiled somebody to begin with, so you check out their posts (which are usually hidden from you). And then you immediately see why.
This is an ad copy from around 1983. Notice the word "digital" (as in "NOT analog")?
Back on topic: the MIDI standard was introduced in august '82. The PCM41 dates back to '81. So it's safe to assume MIDI control of any parameters was never part of its concept.
Attached Thumbnails
PCM41 with MIDI ?-lex.jpg  
Old 11th April 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp ➡️
Sometimes after a while you start wondering why you ever killfiled somebody to begin with, so you check out their posts (which are usually hidden from you). And then you immediately see why.
This is an ad copy from around 1983. Notice the word "digital" (as in "NOT analog")?
Back on topic: the MIDI standard was introduced in august '82. The PCM41 dates back to '81. So it's safe to assume MIDI control of any parameters was never part of its concept.
It I/O is analog on a PCM 41. There's a VCO option, bypass and repeat.

No MIDI
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound ➡️
It I/O is analog on a PCM 41. (...)
Wouldn‘t (almost) every FX unit - independently of the way the effects are generated - have analog i/o?
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp ➡️
Wouldn‘t (almost) every FX unit - independently of the way the effects are generated - have analog i/o?
Yes, but many also have digital I/O. Later Lexicon, TC, later Eventide etc. The OP is new to hardware, so they might not be as hip to the evolution or rack gear.
Old 11th April 2020
Quote:
Notice the word "digital" (as in "NOT analog")?
Its an analog unit
Old 11th April 2020
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by recordT ➡️
Hi

Get a midi to c/v box and use the VCO input in back to step through the delay to multiply control(X2 to X.5).
📝 Reply