The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio monitor advice (LYD 48 vs core 47 vs a77x vs kh310)
Old 28th December 2019
  #1
Here for the gear
 
Studio monitor advice (LYD 48 vs core 47 vs a77x vs kh310)

Hey all, I’m new around here but have certainly spent my fair share of time reading thru a million threads over the years when I’m looking for opinions or advice!

I’m a producer and am looking to get my home space dialed better so I can do more start to finish work from home. This whole year I’ve done most of my work out of an amazing studio here in San Diego, and while I’ll continue working from that studio, I want to get my home studio up to snuff to really get great quality while working from home.

To start - I’m not in a great room. I have done loads of treatment over the last week, and still have a few more bass traps to build. But i’m Working in my garage and it’s a long skinny room with thin walls - it is what it is. It sounds a helluva a lot better though!

So, I’m lookin to upgrade monitors next. I was originally eyeing the $2k-$3k range, mostly interested in the Dynaudio Lyd 48s or Adam A77xs. But I keep seeing the Neuman 310s highly recommended, and if I decided to use my Sweetwater credit rather than cash on hand I could float that price range.

So, knowing I’m not in a great room and I don’t really plan to be doing a ton of finished mix and master work from here at this point - it will mostly be production, songwriting, and composition as that’s my primary skill set - how much “more” do I get if I open up my budget further? Obviously good room and good speakers help put together a tight production, and normally when I’m finished with a production the track is mostly mixed as is. I just prefer to send it off for someone else with fresh ears on a song to bring it across the finish line. I’m simply trying to get my home space as dialed as it realistically can be, to help me get as close to the same results I can get from a truly perfect room from my house.

I’m not a big Genelec fan, and I find my current Adam f5s harsh and not detailed in the upper mids. I want something honest, but not overly bright and ear fatiguing. My ears have grown to be very sensitive to that 2k-6k range. I love the dyns I’ve worked on in the past, and really enjoy the west lakes and atcs I’ve gotten to use in bigger commercial spaces. 3 ways are great, and I’m a fan. That’s kinda why I’m looking at dyns (maybe the new core 47s?), neumann’s, or adams. Once the treatment and new speakers are all in place, I’ll be running the final setup through sonarworks to really help tune the speakers to the room.
Old 28th December 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 
liv4ree's Avatar
I recently bought the KRK V6 S4's. Do some research, they get great reviews. Love them..
Old 29th December 2019 | Show parent
  #3
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv4ree ➡️
I recently bought the KRK V6 S4's. Do some research, they get great reviews. Love them..
I don’t vibe with KRKs anymore. Great for what they are, but I’m looking for the next level up. I’m sure the new models are better than what I used, but I worked off KRKs for years and am glad I left them now. But they’re fantastic for what they are!
Old 29th December 2019 | Show parent
  #4
Lives for gear
 
liv4ree's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.true ➡️
I don’t vibe with KRKs anymore. Great for what they are, but I’m looking for the next level up. I’m sure the new models are better than what I used, but I worked off KRKs for years and am glad I left them now. But they’re fantastic for what they are!
I used them years ago also. These are a different animal IMO. Just throwing it out there for you.
Old 29th December 2019
  #5
Lives for gear
 
brightshine's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I used Genelec 8030 with the 7050 sub for around 10 years. I now have the A77x and feel it was a nice step up. Crystal clear and great stereo image.
Old 29th December 2019 | Show parent
  #6
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightshine ➡️
I used Genelec 8030 with the 7050 sub for around 10 years. I now have the A77x and feel it was a nice step up. Crystal clear and great stereo image.
I do hear mostly all positive things about the A77xs. They do seem to be a bit of a love em or hate em speaker though, mostly complaints about the high mids or high end in general. Have you happened to hear either of the comparable dyns? (LYD 48 or core 47?)

Monitor decisions are freaking rough. I can’t find anywhere I can audition all of them. I might just make liberal use of some return policies lol.
Old 29th December 2019 | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
brightshine's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.true ➡️
I do hear mostly all positive things about the A77xs. They do seem to be a bit of a love em or hate em speaker though, mostly complaints about the high mids or high end in general. Have you happened to hear either of the comparable dyns? (LYD 48 or core 47?)

Monitor decisions are freaking rough. I can’t find anywhere I can audition all of them. I might just make liberal use of some return policies lol.
I think the LYD48 came out just as I was buying the Adams. So I did not look into them. My personal opinion, for what it’s worth, I think just about any higher end speakers will allow you to “do what you need to do”. Once you learn the speaker, in your room, all will be well?.
Old 29th December 2019 | Show parent
  #8
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightshine ➡️
I think the LYD48 came out just as I was buying the Adams. So I did not look into them. My personal opinion, for what it’s worth, I think just about any higher end speakers will allow you to “do what you need to do”. Once you learn the speaker, in your room, all will be well?.
Yeah, and that’s sort of why I’m debating if upping my budget is even going to be truly worth it at this point. If I had a great room I’d jump for the higher end speakers no issue. But knowing I’m just in a well treated garage, I don’t know if it’s worth dropping the extra cash. Hard to know without hearing the speakers in my room first.
Old 29th December 2019 | Show parent
  #9
Lives for gear
 
brightshine's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.true ➡️
Yeah, and that’s sort of why I’m debating if upping my budget is even going to be truly worth it at this point. If I had a great room I’d jump for the higher end speakers no issue. But knowing I’m just in a well treated garage, I don’t know if it’s worth dropping the extra cash. Hard to know without hearing the speakers in my room first.
I’m in a room within a room studio built in my garage. I have 27 acoustic treatments on the walls and ceiling. Big bass traps in each corner. The Genelecs sounded fine in there and the Adams sound great. Maybe acoustic treatments would be a better investment for you? My friend built all mine at about 1/4 the cost of retail. If you can DIY the treatments I would suggest that before new monitors.
Old 29th December 2019 | Show parent
  #10
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightshine ➡️
I’m in a room within a room studio built in my garage. I have 27 acoustic treatments on the walls and ceiling. Big bass traps in each corner. The Genelecs sounded fine in there and the Adams sound great. Maybe acoustic treatments would be a better investment for you? My friend built all mine at about 1/4 the cost of retail. If you can DIY the treatments I would suggest that before new monitors.
I don’t wanna do the full room within a room as I don’t own the house. But I have done about $400 of diy treatment - 24 4’x16” 3” thick panels, a 8’x4’x2” cloud, and am building some 2’x4’x4” bass traps in a couple weeks with a friend soon. It’ll be as treated as I can get it without doing a full build. So I think I’ll be close to as good as my room can be without a re-model pretty soon. But that’s definitely been my first priority.

Honestly I didn’t notice how much I don’t like my Adam f5s till I got my room treated and really started hearing them lol. I haven’t been doing any serious work from home till recently so I hadn’t cared much about the speakers or treatment.
Old 29th December 2019
  #11
Deleted e09cd8e
Guest
8” Quested. S8R is good but the V2108 is a good deal better. The latter are easily the best 8” two-way I have ever heard and can do it all once you learn them. Some find the tweeter dark but just learn them, flip the treble switch in the back, or adjust your room. Quested are like Dynaudios but much better, drier, and more translatable.

For cheaper and worse sound, KRK V8S4. It’s like the V6S4 but less mid presence, more extension, and more open. The V6 is better for mixing and critical decision making but the V8 sounds a lot bigger. The Kevlar tweeters lack some detail but sound okay. They are duller yet more fatiguing than a soft dome but not as bad as a metal dome.

The Adam A7X and A77X sound good but are polarizing and the sweet spot is very small.

The Dyn Lyd 48 sounds weak and underpowered. I wouldn’t produce on it. The BM6a has better sound if you learn it. The Lyds were all a big step back. Core 47 I’ve never heard and it could be good but it just costs too much for what it is. given that Dynaudio has not made consistently good sounding monitors for a decade or two, I’d be afraid to bite the bullet.
Old 31st December 2019
  #12
Here for the gear
 
FWIW - I ended up ordering a pair of KH310s. I'm pretty stoked - I'll have them here in the next week. I'll comment here with my thoughts!
Old 31st December 2019 | Show parent
  #13
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.true ➡️
FWIW - I ended up ordering a pair of KH310s. I'm pretty stoked - I'll have them here in the next week. I'll comment here with my thoughts!
I was in a very similar situation looking at the same models and made the decision. I’m happy with my purchase.
Old 31st December 2019
  #14
Idk what the above guys talking about but the lyd's in my very well treated room sound great!!! I paired them with a dual sub setup and finalized the speaker correction further with sonarworks and they just sound wonderful and translate perfectly so don't you mark the lyd 48s off your list
Old 24th January 2020
  #15
Lives for gear
 
rwhitney's Avatar
I have just replaced my LYD48s with Core 47s to get more power and volume. At low SPL up to 60dB, there wasn’t much difference for me. In fact, the 48’s 8” LF driver sounds better to me at low levels than the 47’s 7”, and they have a well-integrated sound that seems just as easy to mix with. But especially once you get above 60dB (at 1.5m), the Cores sound MUCH better, have impressive punch and power for their size, and the midrange detail — and of course low-end punch — are in a whole another league. The Core 47s are fun for music production, not overly analytical but still revealing, and I think great for editing and mixing while still being enjoyable to listen to at any volume. They don’t extend to the lowest frequencies, but I really didn’t want something that would overly excite room modes, so I’m okay with that. I can always add a sub but see no need for one at this point. I record mainly acoustic music and don’t regularly need to hear ultra sub frequencies anyway. The LYDs weren’t bad, but for me the upgrade to the Cores was worth the money.

Update: I upgraded to the Core 59s which I like even better than the 47s for their larger, deeper range and sound field.

Last edited by rwhitney; 4th March 2020 at 05:21 AM..
Old 4th March 2020
  #16
Here for the gear
 
I did end up purchasing the KH310s. I'm absolutely in love with them in every possible way. They sound comparable to west lakes or other nice 3 way speaker designs like ATCS, and seem to reveal every detail without being harsh. The sense of space and image is top notch as well!
Old 9th July 2020
  #17
Lives for gear
 
JblKid95's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I have experience with the lyd, s3xh and neumann. While the s3xh is my fav out of the bunch. I will always blindly recommend neumann
Old 21st March 2021
  #18
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
does it worth upgrading to core 47 from bm15a?
Old 21st March 2021 | Show parent
  #19
Lives for gear
 
rwhitney's Avatar
I think so. Having used both, I know I always had a problem with the receding midrange of the BM15As - a characteristic of at least some Dynaudio monitors before the LYD and Core designs. The 47s have a more balanced midrange and tighter low end than the BM15As.

Ultimately, I replaced the Core 47s with Core 59s, which, if you want to stick with Dynaudios, is definitely an upgrade, IMO.
Old 21st March 2021 | Show parent
  #20
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Thank you for this info!
I have my bm15as paired with 2 BM14S II subwoofers, is it ok to pair the subwoofers with the core 59s?
If not is there a better subwoofer that can go along with them?
Old 21st March 2021 | Show parent
  #21
Lives for gear
 
rwhitney's Avatar
I believe they could be used, but I don't really know. I had the BX30 subwoofer with the BM15As but didn't like it for my purposes.

The Dynaudio Core Subwoofer is designed to be used with the Core series, so that should work best:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ium=organicpla
Old 21st March 2021 | Show parent
  #22
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
I love the wooden frame of my bm15as and subwoofers and while i would love to upgrade, the ugly plastic enclosure of the new ones really turns me off.

It's a bummer as i love their specs and new look but that plastic is really ugly.
Old 21st March 2021 | Show parent
  #23
Lives for gear
 
rwhitney's Avatar
The Core 47 and 59 cabinets are made of MDF, not plastic. MDF’s density and stability help minimize the interaction of cabinet and speaker.
Old 21st March 2021 | Show parent
  #24
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavros777 ➡️
does it worth upgrading to core 47 from bm15a?
BM 15's are mid scooped. Core series is way above. Check out PSI A-17. Amazing monitor!
Old 21st March 2021
  #25
A year and some change later and my LYD's are out of here. Replaced with some SA25m monitors as my mains and cla-10's as my secondary monitors
Old 10th April 2021 | Show parent
  #26
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by illsoulprod ➡️
A year and some change later and my LYD's are out of here. Replaced with some SA25m monitors as my mains and cla-10's as my secondary monitors
what you like better on the sa25m than the lyds?
also how the sa25m compares to the core 59?

by the way cant find how much the sa25m costs and where they sell em.
Old 10th April 2021 | Show parent
  #27
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdornothin ➡️
BM 15's are mid scooped. Core series is way above. Check out PSI A-17. Amazing monitor!
is the psi 21 better than the core 59?
what sub you recommend pairing the psi 21 with?
i have bm14s ii by the way.
Old 10th April 2021
  #28
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Just found out there's a psi 25 that looks very similar to core 59 but it's way more expensive, who is copying who here as it's obvious someone is copying the design of another. is the core 59 a better value than the psi25?
Old 10th April 2021 | Show parent
  #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavros777 ➡️
what you like better on the sa25m than the lyds?
also how the sa25m compares to the core 59?

by the way cant find how much the sa25m costs and where they sell em.
Well since you asked lol
1. They’re 4 way monitors vs the lyd’s 3 way design
2. They have 2 subs built in
3. They also can be rotated both vertical or horizontal making them work in any room/space needed
4. They have 4 drivers when compared to other monitors in their price range letting them get very loud (1250 watts) but still stay clear as the sky on a summer day
5. It didn’t take forever to get in contact with someone to fix a driver when I had an issue and was down a speaker less than 24 hours before the owner and creator personally dropped off a new pair to me. This vs dynaudio who still haven’t gotten back to me about replacing one of the drivers that went and is a known issue as they put it.

The Sa25m’s are 9k and info can be found here
https://sasacousticdesignfirm.com/
Old 10th April 2021 | Show parent
  #30
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by illsoulprod ➡️
Well since you asked lol
1. They’re 4 way monitors vs the lyd’s 3 way design
2. They have 2 subs built in
3. They also can be rotated both vertical or horizontal making them work in any room/space needed
4. They have 4 drivers when compared to other monitors in their price range letting them get very loud (1250 watts) but still stay clear as the sky on a summer day
5. It didn’t take forever to get in contact with someone to fix a driver when I had an issue and was down a speaker less than 24 hours before the owner and creator personally dropped off a new pair to me. This vs dynaudio who still haven’t gotten back to me about replacing one of the drivers that went and is a known issue as they put it.

The Sa25m’s are 9k and info can be found here
https://sasacousticdesignfirm.com/
Is it 9k for a pair?
How does it compare to the Quasars?
Thank you for the info!
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 98 views: 45172
Avatar for nst7
nst7 14th February 2014
replies: 95 views: 26437
Avatar for quincyg
quincyg 3 weeks ago
replies: 127 views: 16270
Avatar for hauhauhau7
hauhauhau7 25th February 2020
replies: 56 views: 5748
Avatar for zagamouel91
zagamouel91 1 week ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump