The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
CAPI SumBus Users- Please tell!
Old 21st November 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
CAPI SumBus Users- Please tell!

HI All-

Im on the verge of ordering one, however i cant seem to find any proper thread with actual users. When i run a search i see a comment here or there but not a real discussion with real life experiences.

I come from an amazing sounding Studer 089, which i loved and had a real good analog sound of class A circuitry, transformers Opamps etc.

Now, from my experience, a console's sound is always the accumulation of the path which is much longer than in any summing box.

Id like to know how close this comes to the analog "Soup" im so used to and so love.

My plan is to have an SSL sigma, going through the Channel Outs into the SumBus and return the SumBus into Bus 2 of the Sigma to blend in the soupy sound, which i plan to overdrive a bit, to blend with the SSL's super clean sound.
And overall take advantage of the post dynamics ability of the Sigma and the tone of the sumbus.

Please talk about the SumBus and if you have a comparison to Chandler or something else that has transformers one channels, please comment on that too.

Thanks!
Old 21st April 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I have a 16ch SumBus. It’s amazing. Adds depth and opens up the top end in a way that is 3d. Never hyped, just pure analog richness. I am always putting my mix through it. A+ highly recommend.
Old 30th May 2020
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
any other input on this, anyone else using this? I'm wondering if it makes sense to not only mix through this, but track as well.
Old 30th May 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's more or less an API summing section only you pick the transformers and op amps.. It should sound pretty amazing.. Not sure if you could use it as a mic pre though unless you added an input transformer etc..
Old 1st November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Capi

What transformer and opamps are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetness ➡️
I have a 16ch SumBus. It’s amazing. Adds depth and opens up the top end in a way that is 3d. Never hyped, just pure analog richness. I am always putting my mix through it. A+ highly recommend.
Old 2nd November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I started to build mine but then decided not to use it for the console project that I was doing... I never finished mine but I ordered the typical api type output trans which I still have unused ... the red dot op amps seem to get lots of love here.
Old 7th November 2020
Here for the gear

Sounds like you are well on your way to a killer hybrid mixing setup! Jeff and I both live in the Nashville area and I was fortunate enough to be able to use the Beta version of what now is known as the SumBus when it wasn't on loan out to Vance Powell for use on Chris Stapleton or Jason Hall for tracking Brothers Osborne in a condo in Florida. I now have a 16 channel version of the SumBus and can highly recommend it over anything else I've tried. I started out with the Dangerous D-Box, then the Inward Connections Mix690, then the Burl B32, then the Dangerous 2Bus+. They all helped with creating more space in the mix and more 3D-ness but I never felt like I was getting a real console sound until the SumBus. It truly does provide that sonic "Soup" you're speaking of. I've been working on consoles for 28 years now and have been spoiled rotten by them and it this gets me there. On the A Bus I have the High Nickel transformers paired with the SL1731 Op amps and on my B Bus I have the Litz 2503s paired with CAPI's new 0252 Op Amps and they are bombin'! Will add an octave to your bass! (probably not scientifically but you'll hear what I mean!) The SumBus loses 6dB of gain on the output so I use a pair of CAPI VP28s for make up gain. They are a perfect compliment to the SumBus sound. I have a pair of Litz 2623's with Red Dot 2520's and 0252 Op Amps. Hope this helps!
Old 5th December 2020
Here for the gear
sumbus resources

I recently had a capi sumbus 16 built and am integrating it into my studio. so far so good, however i'm looking for some resources on different ways to utilize the unit...i am only able to send sync'd files through busses to the sumbus and back into the converters for a stereo print channel. that works great but i was wondering how to also send directly from some individual instruments as well as busses with proper delay compensation. the instruments going out directly are typically hitting the sumbus quicker due to busses having processing on them. seems as thought the technique requires use of busses for proper delay compensation. thanks for any tips on resources.
Old 5th December 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I LOVE my SumBus 16. I have it up on my Switchcraft so I literally put everything through it. Individual stuff like bass, Vox, etc... I print that. Then when I'm all done recording, I send my stems and FX returns there and print that. It makes everything come to life like an API desk. Those Litz and Red Dots are lovely. Here's a shot. Don't mind the bad placement of my desk, I'm in the process of reorganizing and have it currently shoved in the corner another room.
Attached Thumbnails
CAPI SumBus Users- Please tell!-img_3622.jpg  
Old 24th December 2020
Gear Nut

Does anyone have any mix comparisons using the Sumbus?
Old 24th January 2021
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone had the chance to compare the sumbus against the neve 8816?
Old 28th February 2021
Gear Nut

Would love to hear some more feedback on the Sumbus. Not much out there that I can find.
Old 2nd March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I'm there with ya. Looking at add one to my FOH rig when we go back out on tour. Curious if anyone has any more thoughts, or one they'd be willing to sell. Not sure if I have the skill set to assemble one.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
would you prefer this or api the box soundwise ?
📝 Reply