The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
what is a decent keyboard to get to get for a talkbox?
Old 13th June 2007
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
what is a decent keyboard to get to get for a talkbox?

i've been browsing keyboards for the past two weeks because im about to invest in a talkbox. i will be getting the rocktron Banshee you can check it out here:

Buy Rocktron Banshee Talk Box online at Musician's Friend

I've heard/read plenty of good things about this talkbox but i just want a good keyboard and a AFFORDABLE one at that. But it has to have a good sound i've seen this one guy on youtube he is always helping people out with talkbox tips and is pretty [darn] good at it you can check him out here.

YouTube - Talkbox: Roger & Zapp Medley

what do you guys recommend?
Old 13th June 2007
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
thanx for reminding me about my talkboxes query, il post my talkbox vocoder topic. i use a jp8000 or akai sampler and experiment with different sound samples to vocode or talkbox. use anything that can pull out a sawtooth waveform of some sort for ledgibility, anything like sine is too smooth for ledgibility for me, good for layering or effects though.
Old 13th June 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Practically any true synth will get you the tones you need. You need fairly harsh, raspy tones - e.g. full sawtooth, because the talkbox is going to work like a low pass filter and do all the subtractive filtering you need.

Simple and cheap is good. Buy it for ergonomics and style/looks, because the sound is hardly important for a talkbox.

Digital is good to avoid tuning problems, but try to pick a true synth - samplers and romplers can have glitches and obvious loops and generally not as pure as synth tones.

A Moog Lil Phatty if you're rich.
Old 13th June 2007
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfinite2006 ➑️
i've been browsing keyboards for the past two weeks because im about to invest in a talkbox. i will be getting the rocktron Banshee you can check it out here:

Buy Rocktron Banshee Talk Box online at Musician's Friend

I've heard/read plenty of good things about this talkbox but i just want a good keyboard and a AFFORDABLE one at that. But it has to have a good sound i've seen this one guy on youtube he is always helping people out with talkbox tips and is pretty [darn] good at it you can check him out here.

YouTube - Talkbox: Roger & Zapp Medley

what do you guys recommend?
That white boy is funky as hell! I want to do that, that looks like a lot of fun.

bcgood

"Sacramento, where you at?"
Old 14th June 2007 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
thanks for helping me out guys
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
its the yamaha dx100
i have the troutman parameters that he used on his and it sounds i.d.e.n.t.i.c.a.l.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I actually love the Digitech Talker for vocoding. Kinda sucks on guitar (it's intended use) but kills on synths. Love it. You can use most any synth with it and no tube. Plug a mic and your synth into it. Killer.
Old 15th June 2007 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
i was looking at synth's to use for the banshee talkbox i am gettin and stumbled upon this one and the reviews were pretty good. What do you guys think about this one?

Roland U.S. - SH-201: Synthesizer
Old 15th June 2007 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
i tried looking for the yamaha DX100 but its not sold anymore.

i showed my freind the keyboard i posted in here in the link above. he said it looks good but i should look for somthing with brass sounds as well...

need more opinions and help guys
Old 16th June 2007 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
its just a modified sawtooth patch
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
^huh
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
anyone??
Old 17th June 2007 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
anyone??
Old 17th June 2007 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
yeah man
its a modified fm sawtooth wave

just load one up on a synth a freak the patch a bit
Old 18th June 2007 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
^^ i see well i gues ill that get one
Old 25th March 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
here are the ingredients..

1 lb of sawtooth wave.. (1 osc)
(must be monophonic to get the Roger Troutman effect)

Adjust the portamento time between 60ms to 100 ms.

those are key ingredients, but depending on what synth you're using it will take more work to get it perfect..

basically.. wel.. do you remember those little cream colored 20 some key yamaha keyboards.. it was barely a foot long and six inches wide? Well that's what you're going for.. the talkbox adds the magic of course.. so remember this.. the sound needs to be a short and very cheesy single oscillator, brass sawtooth wave sound with zero sustain.. we're talking 8 bit video game cheesy.

Best of luck
Old 25th March 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Everything already said...

Banshee is good... internal amp means not having to do complicated setup

If you want a real treat, the absolute best use of a talkbox I've ever seen is the following. Cheezy for sure, but the singular best example out there:

YouTube - A Merry Talkbox Christmas!

Note the modulations and pitch bends he does as he goes... really adds just the right amount of flair to the performance... whcih brings up another point... make sure patch you use does the old school lfo modulation according to mod wheel thing and pitch bend... not all do, so you won't be able to get full effect in video without those tools as well.
πŸ“ Reply