The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Today in the studio... (photo upload thread)
Old 3 weeks ago
  #811
Gear Guru
 
Thanks again, for your thoughts on various Interfaces. For my 'umble needs, the Tascam 1X2HR may be the ticket, as an eventual upgrade.
I dig the Loopback Feature, for one thing. I realize both units, have the Loopback.

Not sure about the longevity of the M Series Motu drivers, for my Windows 7 computer.
(although it may be a similar situation, for the Tascam)
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
  #812
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
 
18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
No problem, Chris, I've had good luck with Tascam gear so it seems like a good idea. In reality, many of them are quite good and usable. I can't believe I tried that many of them, but the M4 really delivered today on my new song, the preamps are more than adequate, actually quite good. And it's nice to finally have a computer I can truly use something like this with, something I resisted for a long time. Laptops aren't as bad as I thought they were.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #813
Gear Head
 
🎧 15 years
Doing a major renovation to my mix/edit space. Today, I capped off the new double wall (behind the desk)), with hardwood underlayment before the barnwood goes up. Coated it with three coats of Sherwin Williams Antracite to filll in the natural gaps that you get with barnwood. The rectangle in the center is where the dual display arm/mounts will be anchored Stud mounted). The barn wood will add another 5/8" of build up, and everything will be trimmed/capped etc. Mounts are for modern/rustic sconce lighting already completed on opposing wall (pic below) and will have matching "chandelier", behind the clouds. Lighting is controlled by a Luton Caseta System. Doing this all by myself, has been a surprisingly fun endeavor and today was the first day that I could actually see the vision stating to take shape. Hoping to create a warm and inviting space that is a much better workflow for my needs.



Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #814
Lives for gear
 
Buddhaman's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab ➡️
Testing my new Antelope Galaxy 64 ad/da with Dante.
How is the stability? are you on Mac or PC? You are the only person I can find using one in real life...
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #815
Gear Guru
 
Musiclab's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhaman ➡️
How is the stability? are you on Mac or PC? You are the only person I can find using one in real life...
So far fine, it was a pita to configure with the Dante and the Antelope control panel, but once we straightened it all out it's been fine and the configurations are all saved. It's now installed and I'm into my second day of doing sessions. I'm not using any of the AFX yet it's not a priority. BTW the latency is 2.3ms
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #816
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab ➡️
So far fine, it was a pita to configure with the Dante and the Antelope control panel, but once we straightened it all out it's been fine and the configurations are all saved. It's now installed and I'm into my second day of doing sessions. I'm not using any of the AFX yet it's not a priority. BTW the latency is 2.3ms
How's the sound, and what did it replace?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #817
Gear Guru
 
Musiclab's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound ➡️
How's the sound, and what did it replace?
It sounds very good, and the only drawback I'm seeing so far, is when you have different sampling rate projects it's more complicated that what I used to do, which was simply whatever the rate of the session was the hardware followed whatever the Daw was set for. Now I have to open up the Dante controller and change the sample rate there and in the Antelope Control panel. I get projects from clients at different sample rates so it's something I have to do fairly often, so far that's my one complaint.

As far as what it replaced that was a venerable Motu 1296 system, I had 48 channels going back and forth with 4 1296's. The other thing I miss is the metering, the Motu had big meters on each of the 4 units, and since I keep the computer and interfaces on the other side of the control room, it was easy to see the meters, on the Galaxy the screen is roughly 3" wide x 2" high. I think the 1296's got a bad rap, it was an incredibly reliable system, sounded good, was very low latency. They were just getting long in the tooth and there is no support for them anymore. I've been on High Sierra, and afraid to update any further because I didn't think anything would work on newer systems, so it was time for a change. It's also nice to have an extra 16 outputs to go to my console.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #818
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab ➡️
It sounds very good, and the only drawback I'm seeing so far, is when you have different sampling rate projects it's more complicated that what I used to do, which was simply whatever the rate of the session was the hardware followed whatever the Daw was set for. Now I have to open up the Dante controller and change the sample rate there and in the Antelope Control panel. I get projects from clients at different sample rates so it's something I have to do fairly often, so far that's my one complaint.

As far as what it replaced that was a venerable Motu 1296 system, I had 48 channels going back and forth with 4 1296's. The other thing I miss is the metering, the Motu had big meters on each of the 4 units, and since I keep the computer and interfaces on the other side of the control room, it was easy to see the meters, on the Galaxy the screen is roughly 3" wide x 2" high. I think the 1296's got a bad rap, it was an incredibly reliable system, sounded good, was very low latency. They were just getting long in the tooth and there is no support for them anymore. I've been on High Sierra, and afraid to update any further because I didn't think anything would work on newer systems, so it was time for a change. It's also nice to have an extra 16 outputs to go to my console.
I've got an original Orion and I'm still stunned at how stupidly small the metering is.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #819
Gear Maniac
 
MAXX VADA's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Set up my old kit today ... still haven't painted the kick drum the same as the toms ... ill get there...
Attached Thumbnails
Today in the studio... (photo upload thread)-surfie-kit.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #820
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXX VADA ➡️
Set up my old kit today ... still haven't painted the kick drum the same as the toms ... ill get there...
I love a good colour jumble! Uniformity is overrated.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #821
Gear Maniac
 
MAXX VADA's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyLunn ➡️
I love a good colour jumble! Uniformity is overrated.
Yeah i play like two old sneakers in a tumble drier ... Multicolored drums do help distract people from having to listen to me lol
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #822
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXX VADA ➡️
Yeah i play like two old sneakers in a tumble drier ... Multicolored drums do help distract people from having to listen to me lol
Me too! Haha. Distract them with too much noise and colour. And dancing.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #823
Gear Maniac
 
MAXX VADA's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyLunn ➡️
Me too! Haha. Distract them with too much noise and colour. And dancing.
i guess of that fails , spike the punch with some lysergic acid diethylamide....
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #824
Gear Guru
 
Musiclab's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound ➡️
I've got an original Orion and I'm still stunned at how stupidly small the metering is.
yep it's kind of ridiculous
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #825
Gear Guru
 
Musiclab's Avatar
last night I worked with cellist Tara Hanish on a very interesting project called Cellophane Flowers
Attached Thumbnails
Today in the studio... (photo upload thread)-tara.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
  #826
Gear Head
 
🎧 15 years
Worked my butt off over the last week to get the room operational, and started my first project tonight in the rebuilt space. Spent the last day building acoustic panels for the back wall. Overall very happy with the vibe and acoustics. Couple of more aesthetic odds and ends to complete, in addition to a fader system...think I am going to build a custom desk..but I'm up and running. Once I get the odds and ends done, I'll post full room pics.

Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #827
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamer ➡️
Worked my butt off over the last week to get the room operational, and started my first project tonight in the rebuilt space. Spent the last day building acoustic panels for the back wall. Overall very happy with the vibe and acoustics. Couple of more aesthetic odds and ends to complete, in addition to a fader system...think I am going to build a custom desk..but I'm up and running. Once I get the odds and ends done, I'll post full room pics.

Love it!
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #828
Lives for gear
 
vernier's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Just finished a nice wiring job.
Attached Thumbnails
Today in the studio... (photo upload thread)-wiring1.jpg  
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #829
Lives for gear
 
xmission's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamer ➡️
Worked my butt off over the last week to get the room operational, and started my first project tonight in the rebuilt space. Spent the last day building acoustic panels for the back wall. Overall very happy with the vibe and acoustics. Couple of more aesthetic odds and ends to complete, in addition to a fader system...think I am going to build a custom desk..but I'm up and running. Once I get the odds and ends done, I'll post full room pics.

That is beautiful. Congrats.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #830
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier ➡️
Just finished a nice wiring job.
Hope not a lot of voltage going there . . . you gonna burn down your house.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #831
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Oooof! LOVELY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamer ➡️
Worked my butt off over the last week to get the room operational, and started my first project tonight in the rebuilt space. Spent the last day building acoustic panels for the back wall. Overall very happy with the vibe and acoustics. Couple of more aesthetic odds and ends to complete, in addition to a fader system...think I am going to build a custom desk..but I'm up and running. Once I get the odds and ends done, I'll post full room pics.

Old 5 days ago
  #832
Smashing drum loops to pieces. Samples!
Attached Thumbnails
Today in the studio... (photo upload thread)-1619869558442.jpg  
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
  #833
Lives for gear
 
RightOnRome's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamer ➡️
Worked my butt off over the last week to get the room operational, and started my first project tonight in the rebuilt space. Spent the last day building acoustic panels for the back wall. Overall very happy with the vibe and acoustics. Couple of more aesthetic odds and ends to complete, in addition to a fader system...think I am going to build a custom desk..but I'm up and running. Once I get the odds and ends done, I'll post full room pics.

nice dude! looks great!..looks alot like my spot!
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
  #834
Lives for gear
 
RightOnRome's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Attached Thumbnails
Today in the studio... (photo upload thread)-screen-shot-2021-05-04-10.57.40-pm.jpg  
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
  #835
Gear Head
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound ➡️
Love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmission ➡️
That is beautiful. Congrats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyLunn ➡️
Oooof! LOVELY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome ➡️
nice dude! looks great!..looks alot like my spot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome ➡️
Thanks all! I'm really enjoying the space and got it up and running just in time, picked up 3 projects in the last week. When it rains it pours

Last night I tracked killer young singer songwriter I added a couple of mics and a new 500 for the session that I thought would pair well with the vocalist. Ended up using a 251 clone (Vox into the Neve 88 Pre) and the 414 XLII into an SSL VHD Pre for acoustic guitar. Only augmentation was a Vox variation of the 251 into the SSL, with a split of the 2nd/3rd harmonics engaged. Everything minus the 414 was a recent new addition.

Tonight's pic would just be me sitting here getting ready to start the edits on the raw tracks.

Couple more gear pics from the session.


Old 5 hours ago | Show parent
  #836
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamer ➡️
Worked my butt off over the last week to get the room operational, and started my first project tonight in the rebuilt space. Spent the last day building acoustic panels for the back wall. Overall very happy with the vibe and acoustics. Couple of more aesthetic odds and ends to complete, in addition to a fader system...think I am going to build a custom desk..but I'm up and running. Once I get the odds and ends done, I'll post full room pics.

That space looks beautiful, congratulations!
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump