The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The (un)official Audioscape thread
Old 6th December 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey A/S lovers, I'm slimming down my set up and reluctantly letting a pair of V3A(s) go. These are great units, but last in, first out. Check my sig.
Old 19th December 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfonta ➡️
Off topic. Are you guys making any XL-305Rs currently/in the near future? I had one but mistakenly let it go without really giving it a chance. I have the itch for one again. My fault for sure.

Thanks!
There was only one available Saturday night. Sadly, for you and our ability to help you, it went very quickly.

Set a reminder alarm for 0800 Thursday morning and hop on and see if you can grab one then!
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Give how AMAZINGLY accurate they are, I don't know how but there are TWO V3a's left in stock right now.

I use mine along side my LA3a every guitar track. Almost every day.

The two are virtually indistinguishable.
Go and get you some of that!

You deserve a Christmas gift! (P.S> They're on sale.)
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike ➡️
There was only one available Saturday night. Sadly, for you and our ability to help you, it went very quickly.

Set a reminder alarm for 0800 Thursday morning and hop on and see if you can grab one then!
Yes. Wil try this week for sure. The video by Benny Grotto doing A-B comparisons with a plate verb is fantastic. Really well done.
Old 20th December 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes. Wil try this week for sure. The video by Benny Grotto doing A-B comparisons with a plate verb is fantastic. Really well done.
Man... Benny is awesome!
Thankful for @ bgrotto
Old 20th December 2022 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike ➡️
Man... Benny is awesome!
Thankful for @ bgrotto
Aw, thanks! :D
Old 22nd December 2022 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➡️
Aw, thanks! :D
I like how you did the A/B comps and so many different sources made it really show the capabilities of this baby.

Was able to get one ordered today. Thankful I got in a grabbed one. Already cleared a rack space for it.
Old 24th December 2022
Gear Head

Any word on the DA-3A yet? Thanks
Old 26th December 2022 | Show parent
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Pirates ➡️
Any word on the DA-3A yet? Thanks
Hurricane Ian delayed the release of the DA-3A. We're shooting for Q1 of 2023, and currently planning on sometime in February. We should have more of an idea soon once the replacement cases and front plates arrive.

-Trevor
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Those that have the XL-305 Reverb, can you share some info on how you are using it and settings you like? I plan to put mine on it's own Bus using hardware I/O in Logic, which is probably most common way to use these, but always looking for other ideas and things like "I never thought of doing it that way".

Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Company Rep

Quote:
Those that have the XL-305 Reverb, can you share some info on how you are using it and settings you like? I plan to put mine on it's own Bus using hardware I/O in Logic, which is probably most common way to use these, but always looking for other ideas and things like "I never thought of doing it that way".

Thanks!
We recommend printing a full wet track and blend with a dry along with pre and post EQ. Pretty common method, but quite effective!

-Trevor
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioScape ➡️
We recommend printing a full wet track and blend with a dry along with pre and post EQ. Pretty common method, but quite effective!

-Trevor
Will certainly give that a try! Planning to use it primarily on vox and guitar here, but will experiment with other tracks as well.

Just got notification that I have a package for pickup. Tracking shows Port Orange FL. Happiness. Can't wait to get back into it.

Last edited by drfonta; 4 weeks ago at 02:53 AM.. Reason: More info to add
Gear Maniac
Very Frustrating - I give up,

These things are more difficult yo get hold of than a SS Daytona!

Very challenging that the website is constantly “sold out” that there’s no appetite to engage with prospective customers and take a deposit.

When you live outside the timezone and very limited stock goes online in the middle of the night not a very customer friendly way of doing business.

I’m sure this AS kit is awesome for the price, what’s the deal with such scarcity? Hendy and Gainlab are a LOT easier to engage with and happy to take orders. Heck at this rate I’ll have saved up enough to get a pair of real deal Pultecs and LA2A! Lol.

Very puzzling way to conduct business.
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EQss ➡️
These things are more difficult yo get hold of than a SS Daytona!

Very challenging that the website is constantly “sold out” that there’s no appetite to engage with prospective customers and take a deposit.

When you live outside the timezone and very limited stock goes online in the middle of the night not a very customer friendly way of doing business.

I’m sure this AS kit is awesome for the price, what’s the deal with such scarcity? Hendy and Gainlab are a LOT easier to engage with and happy to take orders. Heck at this rate I’ll have saved up enough to get a pair of real deal Pultecs and LA2A! Lol.

Very puzzling way to conduct business.
Hey there! Sorry to hear you're having difficulty obtaining certain items. The EQPs we actually have a no money down reserve list for. As for the Opto comp, we have those practically every sale. If you haven't yet, we recommend making an account and saving all of your information so that when it comes times to buy it'll be a fast checkout process. I'm talking three clicks and you're done. The reason we don't take deposits is basically we don't want to hold onto anyone's money without a product to ship immediately. We know life happens and someone may need the money they've thrown down for a deposit. We build everything by hand, so quantities are limited. If you fail at getting something you're after, you can always email us! We want everyone to have our products that wants them. If you do decide to email, please mention this reply in the email.

-Trevor

PS. we are hard at work behind the scenes working on solutions to different timezones.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioScape ➡️
Hey there! Sorry to hear you're having difficulty obtaining certain items. The EQPs we actually have a no money down reserve list for. As for the Opto comp, we have those practically every sale. If you haven't yet, we recommend making an account and saving all of your information so that when it comes times to buy it'll be a fast checkout process. I'm talking three clicks and you're done. The reason we don't take deposits is basically we don't want to hold onto anyone's money without a product to ship immediately. We know life happens and someone may need the money they've thrown down for a deposit. We build everything by hand, so quantities are limited. If you fail at getting something you're after, you can always email us! We want everyone to have our products that wants them. If you do decide to email, please mention this reply in the email.

-Trevor

PS. we are hard at work behind the scenes working on solutions to different timezones.
Wonderul. I’ve been in touch with email in oast, but will certainky do so again. More than happy to pay money up front and wait my turn. I’m waiting 18 weeks for an Overstayer and even longer for a few other bits. It is being in the UK and by the time I wake up whatever you add at night is gone, so wiuld rather pay up front and let you make it when you’re good and ready. The money is of little consequence tbh - my gripe was with the ease of doing business - but I think you’ve just unblocked that so happy days! Many thanks for the fast response! Happy New Year!
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
V-comp advice

Hi everyone,

I own three AS compressors. They’ve all been great for various applications, but would any of you with V-comp+ experience be willing to share how you use it for vocals? I make somewhat mellow rock music with a folk/psych flavor and I want to make the V-comp work for tracking vocals. I own an SM7b and a Blue Baby Bottle and so far I prefer the tone I get tracking through my 76d (and even my DBX160a).

Any v-comp suggestions? Ways of setting it, etc? Thanks for your thoughts!
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenhero6 ➡️
Hi everyone,

I own three AS compressors. They’ve all been great for various applications, but would any of you with V-comp+ experience be willing to share how you use it for vocals? I make somewhat mellow rock music with a folk/psych flavor and I want to make the V-comp work for tracking vocals. I own an SM7b and a Blue Baby Bottle and so far I prefer the tone I get tracking through my 76d (and even my DBX160a).

Any v-comp suggestions? Ways of setting it, etc? Thanks for your thoughts!
Ps. I get a slightly harsh high end when I track vocals through the v-comp. Could just be my voice. I also like tape-y mellow highs.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Additional Chain Question

I own two AS V-Comps, one AS 1176D, and one D-Comp.

Yesterday was really the first time I ran the V and 76 in succession after a 1073 preamp on a vocal. If I were to place the D-Comp after the VComp, can anyone share some starting settings for the 76, V and D?

I'm also a bit curious as to how hard I should push the 1073 pre into the 76 initially in terms of should most of the input gain be coming from the 73 or the moderate gain out from the 73 and heavy input gain into the 76.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sance21 ➡️
I own two AS V-Comps, one AS 1176D, and one D-Comp.

Yesterday was really the first time I ran the V and 76 in succession after a 1073 preamp on a vocal. If I were to place the D-Comp after the VComp, can anyone share some starting settings for the 76, V and D?

I'm also a bit curious as to how hard I should push the 1073 pre into the 76 initially in terms of should most of the input gain be coming from the 73 or the moderate gain out from the 73 and heavy input gain into the 76.
Sance, it sounds like we use similar chains, I use a BAE 1073 mpf.

What microphone do you record vocals with? Can I hear your music online?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Music and Chain

Quote:
Sance, it sounds like we use similar chains, I use a BAE 1073 mpf.

What microphone do you record vocals with? Can I hear your music online?
Hey stephenhero6. Hope all is well. Currently, my production partner and I mostly do instrumentals and trailer music scores. I'm currently working again on a vocal EP and trailer album for later this year.

Our current projects are here and here

For the mic, I've had a Rode NT1A since '05 but will be upgrading to a Lauten Eden-386 soon. I'm using the N mojo preamp on the LTL Silver Bullet for now.

I was ITB from 2001 until 2019. My current overall chain for mixbus is:

Lynx Aurora N AD - OntheMoonSpacecraft - IronAge Audioworks V2 EQ (550A) - LTL Silver Bullet - BB HG2 - SA MK1-4000 - AS D-Comp - RND MBP II - Burl B2 ADC. The VComp and 1176D are patched in outside of that chain on separate ins to the Lynx.

What genres are you working in?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I am quoting myself here almost a year later...fact is, Affirm works just fine with Audio-Scape, the merchant does not need to integrate them into their checkout options for you to use Affirm; all you need to do is shop through the Affirm app, and utilize their option of creating a virtual credit card specifically for your purchase. If you set this all up right at go time, you don't have a shot, but I created and added a virtual card to my Apple Pay wallet (I assume you could add it to any browser wallet, or maybe the audioscape payment options under your profile) hours in advance through the Affirm app. I have found Apple Pay to be the quickest way to checkout so far, and as long as you create your Affirm virtual card and are approved in advance, the process of buying A-S gear with affirm is really no different or more difficult to snag a unit than any other payment method.

I don't know I feel ethically about telling a bunch of gear whoers (it was a good name change, but we know what we are...) that they can buy A-S gear on credit through Affirm...but if I am cursed with the knowledge...then so are you. :D

I impulse-grabbed a 2nd buss comp (plan was to buy/build the diy-racked version, for the experience, as well as the extra features). I really do like it on the drub bus as a limiter, and on the mix bus just kissing 2-3Db off at a super light ratio...so I can certainly justify two SSLG comps...I think I will build the DIY Racked one anyhow and see how I like it...if I like it well enough to sell one of the A-Ss, win-win for everyone I guess...I have a feeling it will just find its way onto another bus. BG vox? FX? Anyone surprised by unusual placement of the SSLG comp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrain ➡️
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averagebear6 ➡️
ProducerBoy,

Really appreciate your thoughts and insight.

Just picked up a used V1290. I would've bought new, but AudioScape has no financing options- wish they would add Affirm.

I think AudioScape is an excellent company, (love my Bus Compressor) so I'm hoping I like it as well or more than the BAE.
They would do very well to add Affirm, I wonder hw big you have to be to catch their interest. The high cost per item compared to most consumer goods should help.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Ps. I get a slightly harsh high end when I track vocals through the v-comp. Could just be my voice. I also like tape-y mellow highs.
I have lots of excellent tape machines and tape can be as harsh and brittle (if not more so!) than digital. It’s the sound going in that matters.
As for the V-Comp, I have two and just love them. I would track a vocal with no compressor in the chain and then sum it out to the comp and play with it otb. Find that point where it’s compressing too much and the highs are getting through easier than the lows, thus giving your voc a harsh sound. I think you may find with minimal compression the V-Comp imparts a sweet tone.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBGB_Studio ➡️
I'd just like to chime in and thank AS for their products. To me, that they are a no-brainer, affordable alternative to STAM outboard gear. No more waiting 8+ months for a piece of gear, and, it's made in the U.S,A.!
Just saw AS compressor and eq in my buddy's LA studio. Certainly quite surprisingly good stuff. Hard to comprehend how at that affordable price point the US made pro audio gear can be built
Now, seriously thinking.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Would Audioscape jump into mics? I would definitely be all over that.
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang ➡️
Just saw AS compressor and eq in my buddy's LA studio. Certainly quite surprisingly good stuff. Hard to comprehend how at that affordable price point the US made pro audio gear can be built
Now, seriously thinking.
We love gear and we know how expensive it can get. We're all end users over here, so we think about the end user budget. We're not after your wallet. We just want your rack space. Quality doesn't have to be expensive.

-Trevor
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrizzie ➡️
Would Audioscape jump into mics? I would definitely be all over that.
Great question! It's something that's been brought up before, but we have so many friends that make mics, and quite frankly, they're killing it! Vanguard, Lauten, Heiserman, OGMC, etc...

Never say never though! Who knows what crazy idea we come up with!

-Trevor
Gear Maniac
Anyone know how the EQP1 clones stack up against the old Cartec units? I know those are now out of production, but price aside is there much between them?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Do you guys have any news on the 670 and when are you planning to release it?
I know there are a few options around but I’d love to see what you can come up with…I think Heritage Audio did a good job with theirs but the cost is just prohibitive!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
AS Summing mixer anyone?

I remember discuissing it with someone from the camp and he was very receptive to the idea... But nothing ever happened so I'm throwing it in the air and let the universe deal with it.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Has anyone modified their AS gear to add a bypass?

I know original 1176’s, STA-Level’s, etc don’t have them. I work without a patchbay, so being able to isolate processes is really handy for me. I’ve survived this long…just curious if anyone has looked into it.
📝 Reply