The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The (un)official Audioscape thread
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike ➡️
I know some of you could easily disregard my experience or opinion on the various comparative brands, and that's your prerogative but I did have over 35 years experience in the field before becoming a consultant with AS - due to my overwhelming belief in the company and its products!

I have the AS 76a 76d 76f, two Stam 76ADGs, 2 UA 1176s, Mohog76 and the Pro Replicas 76a. Currently.

I've also used the Purple and original 76 variants before getting my own. And I've also tried out the Warm 76s (owned to for a minute) and the KT76s.

The underlying difference in the Audioscape 76s and ALL others is the drop in self-noise, increase in headroom and speed. All due to incredibly high quality control.

The Mohogs and Purple are also fantastic units! But the Mohogs are off the market now, and the Purples are quite a bit more expensive.

The QC in the Stam products (mine and those I know of in the first batches) is not at the Audioscape level and they are a bit noisier but hats-off to Josh and team for developing the multiple revision ASG and ADF. The calibrated output of the units does not match others in the same line.
And also kudos to them for taking my idea of the LA2a/3a/4 and running with it, when everyone else said it couldn't be done.

I hear good things about the Bluey and have heard a few in use at friends' studios but have not yet had one in my own for an evaluation and side by side comparison.
The Bluey, as best I can ascertain and have heard verified by others, is higher in THD and a little bit noisier.

I rely on the @ AudioScape 76s on a daily basis! They are so freaking dependable and usable in all ways. The most distortion is in the 76a of course, and it is very usable as it shatters the transients into crystalized pixie dust and sprinkles it all over the program material.

Hat off.
Don’t you know Ward no matter what you say about any piece of gear on GS you risk getting yelled at?!
So I reserve my comments to sentences like this:
“the Golden 58 sounds beautiful to me and makes me extremely happy”
“The V-comp fills me with such joy.”
“The 76F is my all time favorite vocal comp”.
All true statements by the way.
Thank you and keep up the good wotk!
Oh and I concur, the 76a does in fact sprinkle crystalized pixie dust over everything. That is a fact, I did a null test.
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrosound ➡️
Don’t you know Ward no matter what you say about any piece of gear on GS you risk getting yelled at?!
Oh and I concur, the 76a does in fact sprinkle crystalized pixie dust over everything. That is a fact, I did a null test.
LOL!!! Love it.
Lives for gear
I decided and went ahead and chose Audioscape. I purchased an 1176 Rev-D blackface model.
I've always like the girth of the Rev-D.
Maybe in a couple months I'll try and shoot for an La2a.
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodic dreamer ➡️
I decided and went ahead and chose Audioscape. I purchased an 1176 Rev-D blackface model.
I've always like the girth of the Rev-D.
Maybe in a couple months I'll try and shoot for an La2a.
You'll have to keep us posted on what you think of the 76D! It might be my personal favorite of our revisions. A Swiss army knife of a unit!

-Trevor
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrosound ➡️
Hahaha
I would tell Ward to see me in my office, but I don't have an office and it would just be a FaceTime call. I don't think I could yell at him though. He's just too good of a dude. Now a stern talking to... I could do that. He needs to give us a reason first though!

Also love your comments! We stand behind everything we create, so having such wonderful feedback really shows us that we're on the right track with everything we're producing.

-Trevor
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioScape ➡️
You'll have to keep us posted on what you think of the 76D! It might be my personal favorite of our revisions. A Swiss army knife of a unit!

-Trevor
I budgeted $3k for some new mics.

This is not making me want to buy mics.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
For the use with vocals and bass or in conjunction with an 1176, would you recommend AS's LA2A or their Sta-Level?
I've used an actual LA2A before, but never been around the Sta-Level in person. I love the grit it can get though though multiple videos I've watched. Just curious pros and cons of the two for the purposes I mentioned?
Thanks
Gear Head
Quote:
For the use with vocals and bass or in conjunction with an 1176, would you recommend AS's LA2A or their Sta-Level?
I've used an actual LA2A before, but never been around the Sta-Level in person. I love the grit it can get though though multiple videos I've watched. Just curious pros and cons of the two for the purposes I mentioned?
Thanks

I've never tried the Audioscape Opto comp but by many internet accounts its one of the best LA2A clones on the market.

If cost is a deciding factor then I highly recommend the GAP Comp-2A which you can get for roughly half the price (and half the size) of the AS Opto.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
i've got a pair of the audioscape pultec eqs and a d-comp. love em. just great. the d-comp definitely does the thing.

selling off a bunch of mics and drum and guitar stuff soon and will likely grab an opto and maybe a v comp and i'll be set for awhile.

so far zero issues and the stuff sounds just great.
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hahaha
I would tell Ward to see me in my office, but I don't have an office and it would just be a FaceTime call. I don't think I could yell at him though. He's just too good of a dude. Now a stern talking to... I could do that. He needs to give us a reason first though!

Also love your comments! We stand behind everything we create, so having such wonderful feedback really shows us that we're on the right track with everything we're producing.

-Trevor
Oh you're pretty cute too, and a hella good dude. LOL
Gear Nut
Alright alright alright!

Question for you compressor fanatics out there... I have an AS OPTO comp that I absolutely love—especially for tracking vocals... It gets me 90% of the way there in terms of being satisfied when I pull up the (virtual) faders to mix. I'm always looking for a bit more compression at mix time and the AS 76a works amazingly for many vocals—and it can have a bit too much saturation/bite for some of the softer vocals. I'm wondering if I should pickup another revision (D or F) or get something completely different (I've been eyeing the V-Comp) for these applications... Any thoughts??

Let's be honest - I really just want more Audioscape beer cozies - I'm only one away from a six pack!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I love my AS La2a. It's on every vocal in the way in.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike ➡️
Oh you're pretty cute too, and a hella good dude. LOL
Well this really took a hell of a turn..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon ➡️
I love my AS La2a. It's on every vocal in the way in.
I have the 2a, 3a, 76D and the V Comp. All are great on vocals. I do want the D Comp as well but after about a month of failing to snag one I'll just wait for a while. Looking to grab some pultecs as well.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are ➡️
I have the 2a, 3a, 76D and the V Comp. All are great on vocals. I do want the D Comp as well but after about a month of failing to snag one I'll just wait for a while. Looking to grab some pultecs as well.
Regarding vocals, bass and acoustics….La2a, V-Comp comparison please
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head
Mixed down a remix of the lead single off my debut album yesterday, thought I'd share it as an attachment below. Vocal chain:

vintage U87 (recorded @ The Grill Studios) ---> AS 1176A ---> modded GAP Comp2A ---> various plugin processing

Quite proud of this one Probably the best mix I achieved to date.

Here's the original record (I did not mix this but I did direct & edit the video):

The producer of both instrumentals (The Vampire Dynasty) is supremely talented, hope to knock out a second project with him soon.
Attached Files
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Regarding vocals, bass and acoustics….La2a, V-Comp comparison please
All of them. Not kidding. Depends on the track. For transparent sounds I'd say 2a or3a.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I NEED TO GET A LIFE

Got an email from Audioscape titled "Save Room For Some Pie."

For whatever reason, my mind went to PYE. Like PYE compressor.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
All of them. Not kidding. Depends on the track. For transparent sounds I'd say 2a or3a.
So true. I own all three and they all do their own thing very well. That said I'd probably start with the Opto
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanktron ➡️
Alright alright alright!

Question for you compressor fanatics out there... I have an AS OPTO comp that I absolutely love—especially for tracking vocals... It gets me 90% of the way there in terms of being satisfied when I pull up the (virtual) faders to mix. I'm always looking for a bit more compression at mix time and the AS 76a works amazingly for many vocals—and it can have a bit too much saturation/bite for some of the softer vocals. I'm wondering if I should pickup another revision (D or F) or get something completely different (I've been eyeing the V-Comp) for these applications... Any thoughts??

Let's be honest - I really just want more Audioscape beer cozies - I'm only one away from a six pack!!
The V-Comp adds more to the sound than an LA2a/Opto does. Is it for everyone? Yes, but maybe no... it's a thick heavy duty dollop of syrup.

I absolutely ADORE it. It's used (on the way in) on every vocal on the new Appalachian Kinfolk Association christmas record - preview mixes are on soundcloud by the way.

And you can REALLY hear it. It's a process and you can control how much. It's just really creamy and beautiful too
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I tried 1073 >AS La2a > 2254 and it just sounded superb. Normally I go 1176 into la2a but I decided to try this as I can really drive the transformers of the 2254 using the gain on the AS La2a it did what I really wanted it to. No holds barred. This might be my new go to be chain. Emphasis all the way to the right. I normally have it about 11 o clock but I wanted to try something different. I really do love with hardware.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Company Rep

Quote:
Well this really took a hell of a turn..
Notice I didn't reply. Hahaha

-Trevor
Company Rep

Quote:
Have you gotten on our EQP-A reserve list? No money down. We just email you when the units are ready!

-Trevor
Company Rep

Quote:
Got an email from Audioscape titled "Save Room For Some Pie."

For whatever reason, my mind went to PYE. Like PYE compressor.
That would be my doing. Trying to do a silly title and have it relevant to the holiday!

-Trevor
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Have you gotten on our EQP-A reserve list? No money down. We just email you when the units are ready!

-Trevor
Yes sir. Did it the other day.
Thanks.
📝 Reply