The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The (un)official Audioscape thread
Old 9th November 2022
Gear Nut

Does anyone know the exact size of the flathead screwdriver used to adjust the VU on the 76 models? Thanks!
Ps loving every piece of Audioscape gear I have.
Old 9th November 2022 | Show parent
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrosound ➡️
Does anyone know the exact size of the flathead screwdriver used to adjust the VU on the 76 models? Thanks!
Not sure myself on this one. I always say just use a small flathead. One that can fit between the input and output knobs.

-Trevor

EDIT: it’s actually 2mm!

Last edited by AudioScape; 11th November 2022 at 11:43 PM.. Reason: Editing for accuracy.
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➡️
Oh you bet Trevor!! Hope this hurricane turns tail and heads back out into the Atlantic!!!!
Not looking like the case sadly. We’re getting ready and bracing ourselves.

-Trevor
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioScape ➡️
Not looking like the case sadly. We’re getting ready and bracing ourselves.

-Trevor
Hang in there!! Prayers!!!!!
Gear Nut

Quote:
Not sure myself on this one. I always say just use a small flathead. One that can fit between the input and output knobs.

-Trevor
Ok thanks anyway!
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hope this helps. This one with a 3mm wide tip is commonly found in any 'precision screwdriver set' in any Radioshack, or other electronics' shop.

This 'slot' head screwdriver works on just about all VU meters' fine-tuning calibration screws.
Attached Thumbnails
The (un)official Audioscape thread-img_9834.jpg  
Old 11th November 2022 | Show parent
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike ➡️
Hope this helps. This one with a 3mm wide tip is commonly found in any 'precision screwdriver set' in any Radioshack, or other electronics' shop.

This 'slot' head screwdriver works on just about all VU meters' fine-tuning calibration screws.
Ward, where are you finding a RadioShack? Does Canada still have RadioShack?

-Trevor
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ward, where are you finding a RadioShack? Does Canada still have RadioShack?

-Trevor
The old shops may be gone, but I think everyone knows what they are. ;-)
And that kind of store
Company Rep

Quote:
Ok thanks anyway!
Updated my post from before! 2mm is the actual size, but various sizes can work. 😊

-Trevor
Old 13th November 2022 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Updated my post from before! 2mm is the actual size, but various sizes can work. 😊

-Trevor
Great! Now I can sleep at night, thank you.
Old 14th November 2022 | Show parent
Company Rep

Quote:
Great! Now I can sleep at night, thank you.
Hahaha. Same here. It was bothering me!

-Trevor
Old 16th November 2022
Company Rep

If you missed out on the 260vu, we'll have more sprinkled into our sale starting tonight. Also in case you missed it:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ck_r1...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

-Trevor
Old 16th November 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

Hey guys, I just received my 260VU from the pre-sale! I haven't had time to test it with audio so I can't comment on the sound just yet but I can definitely say that the unit is very solid and it looks like the real deal.
Here's couple pics including the interior which appears to be really well built too but I'll leave the experts to comment on that!
Attached Thumbnails
The (un)official Audioscape thread-img_1366.jpg   The (un)official Audioscape thread-img_1367.jpg  
Old 16th November 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PadanoPro ➡️
Hey guys, I just received my 260VU from the pre-sale! I haven't had time to test it with audio so I can't comment on the sound just yet but I can definitely say that the unit is very solid and it looks like the real deal.
Here's couple pics including the interior which appears to be really well built too but I'll leave the experts to comment on that!
Sweet but where’s are the transformers unless they’re out of shot?

Wiggy
Old 17th November 2022
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
No Luck in ordering the golden58 pre amp

I checked in the Audioscape Website at exactly 8:00 pm EST to order the Golden58 mic pre. Immediately after clicking on the Buy button the pop up came up telling me the unit is out of stock !!! Well geez, the unit was advertised as one of the products on the for sale shelf this evening. What am i suppose to do? Very frustrated. Been waiting all day for this moment and I had to be one of the first replys to the Website sale, and yes i set up my account before hand. So what must one do to order? Whats the secret?? Why doesnt Audioscape have a waiting list, like they do with the EQ unit (which I am on) ? That way you dont have to play the odds game as if we were fighting for a spot , ie EBAY. Just frustrated thats all. Any suggestions ?

thx
Old 17th November 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot ➡️
I checked in the Audioscape Website at exactly 8:00 pm EST to order the Golden58 mic pre. Immediately after clicking on the Buy button the pop up came up telling me the unit is out of stock !!! Well geez, the unit was advertised as one of the products on the for sale shelf this evening. What am i suppose to do? Very frustrated. Been waiting all day for this moment and I had to be one of the first replys to the Website sale, and yes i set up my account before hand. So what must one do to order? Whats the secret?? Why doesnt Audioscape have a waiting list, like they do with the EQ unit (which I am on) ? That way you dont have to play the odds game as if we were fighting for a spot , ie EBAY. Just frustrated thats all. Any suggestions ?

thx
Sorry for your loss. I was there too.

Buss Comp on the way.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruner ➡️
Sorry for your loss. I was there too.

Buss Comp on the way.
seems to me a waiting list would be the most fair and simple way to go, I dont understand the logic of the current protocol. What other audioscape gear do u have?

Last edited by patriot; 17th November 2022 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: need to add a question
Lives for gear

Quote:
seems to me a waiting list would be the most fair and simple way to go, I dont understand the logic of the current protocol. What other audioscape gear do u have?
I agree. Sometimes I've forgotten to be there at 5pm and missed the chance altogether, let alone the frantic feel of grabbing before they are gone.

Top shelf gear. Cool people. Good company. But the purchase method is like a mosh pit. A wait list (only) system would require some sort of registration though, and some buyers might not want to get that involved. A wait list would give them a pretty good indication of demand, which could help with production decisions (and vacation days). On the flip side, you have two chances a week. The odds are in your favor.

Buss comp is my first. Would have bought used on Reverb, but they are often overpriced and I wanted to give my money to the company, not some goof.
Old 17th November 2022
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Anyone want to share their experiences with their new 260VU yet?

Come on . . . talk about it!

(I don't think it's possible to be more surprised than I was!)
Company Rep

Quote:

thx
Sounds like you have everything setup for success. Last night there was only one Golden58 up on the site. We don't have a waiting list for the unit since we have less than 100 to make of this unit. Also our system isn't built to have waiting list. With the EQP, we physically write down everyone's information to get in contact with them. We're a small but mighty company, and as we grow things are going to get easier. Especially with supply chains easing up. We're working hard behind the scenes to get the site opened up so people can buy certain items whenever.

Another thing that you can do is be on the site using a computer a few minutes before the sale. Be signed in and refresh the page at 7:59:57PM EST. Test your internets refresh rate since internet speeds do vary.

We're working on building more up! It's been a bit since we've been able to make them because knobs had to get made.

-Trevor
Company Rep

Quote:
I agree. Sometimes I've forgotten to be there at 5pm and missed the chance altogether, let alone the frantic feel of grabbing before they are gone.

Top shelf gear. Cool people. Good company. But the purchase method is like a mosh pit. A wait list (only) system would require some sort of registration though, and some buyers might not want to get that involved. A wait list would give them a pretty good indication of demand, which could help with production decisions (and vacation days). On the flip side, you have two chances a week. The odds are in your favor.

Buss comp is my first. Would have bought used on Reverb, but they are often overpriced and I wanted to give my money to the company, not some goof.
One of the things we've been experiencing with the EQP list is that when we reach out to people, they're either not ready, or we don't get a response. We're trying to be fair, but if we don't get a response we have to move along. Also we get people not being ready when we reach out. To those that aren't ready that respond to us, we simply put them back in line to circle back to. Our system isn't built to have waiting list for everything. We put in each persons name individually manually. A sign up for a waiting list for everything would require a whole website and system rebuild, and there's no guarantee that we can even rebuild the system to do that. We're working on just opening up the site. We've outgrown our current location and are in the process of finding a bigger spot. Things will be moving along quite nicely once that happens. We appreciate everyones patience when it comes to purchasing.

-Trevor
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut ➡️
Sweet but where’s are the transformers unless they’re out of shot?

Wiggy
The originals didn't feature audio transformers although some folks preferred to add them after the fact. Personally love the sound of them stock ;-) We actually left space though in the chassis in case anyone wants to throw transformers in, tried to think of everything with these! Having meters that won't fail(along with updating the vulnerble output mute circuit) is one of the bigger selling points.

Cheers,
Chris
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
The originals didn't feature audio transformers although some folks preferred to add them after the fact. Personally love the sound of them stock ;-) We actually left space though in the chassis in case anyone wants to throw transformers in, tried to think of everything with these! Having meters that won't fail(along with updating the vulnerble output mute circuit) is one of the bigger selling points.

Cheers,
Chris
Well you learn something every day! mine have them and nearly all I've sold over the years also had them. Guess it was a popular upgrade!

What ones would you envisage being used in yours.. jensens?

Wiggy
Old 18th November 2022
Lives for gear
Regarding a 1176, how does Audioscape compare to Stam-Audio or the Black Lion Audio Bluey FET?
Looking at getting one of these three brands here in the next week or two and I'm trying to understand the differences.
Curious about quality, color, and saturation?
Old 18th November 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodic dreamer ➡️
Regarding a 1176, how does Audioscape compare to Stam-Audio or the Black Lion Audio Bluey FET?
Looking at getting one of these three brands here in the next week or two and I'm trying to understand the differences.

Never used the Stam or the BLA Bluey but I do own all three Audioscape 1176 variations. I've heard good things about the Bluey, heard mixed reviews about the Stam ADF and at one point I was interested in their tube 1176.

As far as the audioscape units, I find that the "A" is my go-to for male vocals (rap, R&B, etc.) while the "F" is my go-to for female vocals and the "D" is my go-to for background vocals.

I find the "F" is perfect for compressing electric bass while the "A" shines on electric guitar.

All of this depends on the source of course, but that's what I've used them on w/ material I recorded myself so far.

Quality-wise you cannot go wrong with the Audioscape 1176s, build quality is rock-solid and there is very little noise introduced to the signal. Unlike software 1176s I've used the compression does not degrade when you're compressing 10db+ of signal, it sounds very natural and the attack/release give you plenty of room to smooth or preserve transients.

For lead vocals I tend to run an 1176 into a modded Comp-2A (LA2A clone) so I also get tube saturation character as well in my own chain. The Audioscape 1176s by themselves though are very, very capable HW compressors and in a completely different league from SW that I've used (which includes Black Rooster FET, Plugin Alliance Purple MC77, Overloud FET, Waves, etc).
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDotWon ➡️
Never used the Stam or the BLA Bluey but I do own all three Audioscape 1176 variations. I've heard good things about the Bluey, heard mixed reviews about the Stam ADF and at one point I was interested in their tube 1176.

As far as the audioscape units, I find that the "A" is my go-to for male vocals (rap, R&B, etc.) while the "F" is my go-to for female vocals and the "D" is my go-to for background vocals.

I find the "F" is perfect for compressing electric bass while the "A" shines on electric guitar.

All of this depends on the source of course, but that's what I've used them on w/ material I recorded myself so far.

Quality-wise you cannot go wrong with the Audioscape 1176s, build quality is rock-solid and there is very little noise introduced to the signal. Unlike software 1176s I've used the compression does not degrade when you're compressing 10db+ of signal, it sounds very natural and the attack/release give you plenty of room to smooth or preserve transients.

For lead vocals I tend to run an 1176 into a modded Comp-2A (LA2A clone) so I also get tube saturation character as well in my own chain. The Audioscape 1176s by themselves though are very, very capable HW compressors and in a completely different league from SW that I've used (which includes Black Rooster FET, Plugin Alliance Purple MC77, Overloud FET, Waves, etc).
Thanks for the reply.
This would be used mostly for Female Vocals, Guitar/Bass
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:

if people are on the waiting list for the EQP, and when they are notified they are next in line, but then say they are not ready,,,,,my response to that is.... " my turn just got one step closer" as im on the waiting list and can't wait for the email telling me the unit is ready for shipment!!
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
One of the things we've been experiencing with the EQP list is that when we reach out to people, they're either not ready, or we don't get a response. We're trying to be fair, but if we don't get a response we have to move along. Also we get people not being ready when we reach out. To those that aren't ready that respond to us, we simply put them back in line to circle back to. Our system isn't built to have waiting list for everything. We put in each persons name individually manually. A sign up for a waiting list for everything would require a whole website and system rebuild, and there's no guarantee that we can even rebuild the system to do that. We're working on just opening up the site. We've outgrown our current location and are in the process of finding a bigger spot. Things will be moving along quite nicely once that happens. We appreciate everyones patience when it comes to purchasing.

-Trevor
Well said Trevor.... keep building ! I am on the waiting list for the EQP and trying to buy the Golden58 pre amp. Im looking forward to using these 2 units for my Ham radio application!
Old 19th November 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I have the Stam blue face as well as the AudioScape 1176's. The Stam is not as fast, attack and release, but is definitely quality. I use the AS more than the others which include 2 Warm's, a Hairball and a Lindell 17xs. I'm really eager to put my hands on a Bluey. The video's I've seen were pretty impressive.
Old 19th November 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I know some of you could easily disregard my experience or opinion on the various comparative brands, and that's your prerogative but I did have over 35 years experience in the field before becoming a consultant with AS - due to my overwhelming belief in the company and its products!

I have the AS 76a 76d 76f, two Stam 76ADGs, 2 UA 1176s, Mohog76 and the Pro Replicas 76a. Currently.

I've also used the Purple and original 76 variants before getting my own. And I've also tried out the Warm 76s (owned to for a minute) and the KT76s.

The underlying difference in the Audioscape 76s and ALL others is the drop in self-noise, increase in headroom and speed. All due to incredibly high quality control.

The Mohogs and Purple are also fantastic units! But the Mohogs are off the market now, and the Purples are quite a bit more expensive.

The QC in the Stam products (mine and those I know of in the first batches) is not at the Audioscape level and they are a bit noisier but hats-off to Josh and team for developing the multiple revision ASG and ADF. The calibrated output of the units does not match others in the same line.
And also kudos to them for taking my idea of the LA2a/3a/4 and running with it, when everyone else said it couldn't be done.

I hear good things about the Bluey and have heard a few in use at friends' studios but have not yet had one in my own for an evaluation and side by side comparison.
The Bluey, as best I can ascertain and have heard verified by others, is higher in THD and a little bit noisier.

I rely on the @ AudioScape 76s on a daily basis! They are so freaking dependable and usable in all ways. The most distortion is in the 76a of course, and it is very usable as it shatters the transients into crystalized pixie dust and sprinkles it all over the program material.

Hat off.
📝 Reply