The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The (un)official Audioscape thread
Old 3rd April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➑️
Nice Benny! Thx!
Happy to make the report! (though not as happy as I am to have a kick ass modern take on the LA3A that I actually like the sound of!!)

BTW - hoping to steal away for an hour or so at some point to make some a/b examples against my vintage Tele 3A. I'll be sure to share them here.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➑️
Happy to make the report! (though not as happy as I am to have a kick ass modern take on the LA3A that I actually like the sound of!!)

BTW - hoping to steal away for an hour or so at some point to make some a/b examples against my vintage Tele 3A. I'll be sure to share them here.
Sweet! I'd already have the dual 3a - or 2 - if I didn't already own 4 Serpents....
Gear Addict
are the chimeras also a bit brighter than the ureis and the ua reissues? why did UA stop making the reissues? which is brighter, the serpents or the d3a/v3a?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Churlish ➑️
are the chimeras also a bit brighter than the ureis and the ua reissues? why did UA stop making the reissues? which is brighter, the serpents or the d3a/v3a?
I am not familiar with the Chimeras, and I'm not sure why UA stopped making the reissues.

But I would caution against the use of the word 'brighter' here. That doesn't quite feel like the right adjective to describe what I am hearing vis a vis the vintage 3A vs the D3A. Hopefully some sound files will clarify what I'm saying.

I'd also note again that there's a damned good chance my vintage units sounds less open because the caps are old as dirt. If you've ever been around to hear the difference a recap makes on a piece of good analog gear, you'll know what I'm saying. If you haven't, basically, it's one of those subtle-but-also-somehow-obvious revelations that happen so often in audio.

I'd add that some folks might prefer the more muted, 'softer' sound of the vintage box (old caps or nay). For example, if I really favored 3As on rooms, I might not want the top end extension of the AudioScape box because it could be a bit hard in the upper cymbal range.
Old 4th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
I don't have the Chimera's and I've never heard one. I've got the rack mount SA3a's.
Attached Thumbnails
The (un)official Audioscape thread-img_0231.jpg  
Old 4th April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Success! Found some time tonight to bang out a quick set of files. Differences are SUBTLE, so listen close!! Here's the nitty gritty:

First thing I did was isolate a short loop to examine, then dial in compression on the D3A that i felt suited the source. Nothing super extreme here; these are real-world settings that I would use on a mix. Next, I calibrated levels on each unit so that a 1k test tone yielded the same output level and gain reduction for a given source. There will probably be *some* discrepancy here, given the age of units, and how they may respond to actual program material. This ain't a lab, and I didn't have the time (or frankly, the inclination) to go full-on science with this stuff, so bear with me. Should you find any level discrepancies, you should match them in your DAW as you listen.

In every case I made the following files:

- "dry version", which is fully untouched by either compressor
- "D3A" version is compressed by the AudioScape box
- "Tele3A" version is compression by the Teletronix box
- "no GR" versions are run through the named box, using the same settings, but with the reduction knob turned all the way down. These are your "box tone" references.

OK, here's the rundown on files:

Acoustic guitars, about 2db of reduction. HF emph at max, and in compress mode.

Electric guitars, around 4db of reduction. HF emph at min, and in compress mode.

Bass, 2db reduction, HF emph at min, in comp mode.

Enjoy!
Attached Files

Ac Guitar D3A no GR_01.wav (6.01 MB, 2277 views)

Ac Guitar D3A_02.wav (5.96 MB, 2321 views)

Ac Guitar Dry_01-01.wav (5.96 MB, 2273 views)

Ac Guitar Tele3A no GR_01.wav (5.96 MB, 2266 views)

Ac Guitar Tele3A_01.wav (5.96 MB, 2258 views)

Bass D3A no GR_01.wav (2.01 MB, 2143 views)

Bass D3A_01.wav (2.01 MB, 2146 views)

Bass Dry_01.wav (2.01 MB, 2119 views)

Bass Tele3A no GR_01.wav (2.01 MB, 2101 views)

Bass Tele3A_01.wav (2.01 MB, 2134 views)

E Gtr D3A no GR_01.wav (2.65 MB, 2089 views)

E Gtr D3A_01.wav (2.65 MB, 2103 views)

E Gtr Dry_01.wav (2.65 MB, 2085 views)

E Gtr Tele3A no GR_01.wav (2.65 MB, 2070 views)

E Gtr Tele3A_02.wav (2.65 MB, 2088 views)

Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Success! Found some time tonight to bang out a quick set of files. Differences are SUBTLE, so listen close!! Here's the nitty gritty:

First thing I did was isolate a short loop to examine, then dial in compression on the D3A that i felt suited the source. Nothing super extreme here; these are real-world settings that I would use on a mix. Next, I calibrated levels on each unit so that a 1k test tone yielded the same output level and gain reduction for a given source. There will probably be *some* discrepancy here, given the age of units, and how they may respond to actual program material. This ain't a lab, and I didn't have the time (or frankly, the inclination) to go full-on science with this stuff, so bear with me. Should you find any level discrepancies, you should match them in your DAW as you listen.

In every case I made the following files:

- "dry version", which is fully untouched by either compressor
- "D3A" version is compressed by the AudioScape box
- "Tele3A" version is compression by the Teletronix box
- "no GR" versions are run through the named box, using the same settings, but with the reduction knob turned all the way down. These are your "box tone" references.

OK, here's the rundown on files:

Acoustic guitars, about 2db of reduction. HF emph at max, and in compress mode.

Electric guitars, around 4db of reduction. HF emph at min, and in compress mode.

Bass, 2db reduction, HF emph at min, in comp mode.

Enjoy!
WOW!! BENNY!

Thank you so much for doing this, man!

The differences (or lack therein) are EXTREMELY subtle - I did a few blind tests on myself with the "compressed" files on the Electric Guitar first and I can DEFINITELY hear the slower attack of the D3A as well as the slightly more open top-end - but the character and compression behavior itself, aside from that - is damn near identical.

On the Acoustic GTR example - I could not accurately identify one from the other with any degree of certainty... hahaha.

I think higher-gain guitars really DO best amplify the differences between different preamps, compressors, etc... it's almost "hypes" whatever differences are happening between two different microphones, preamps or compressors...

Thank you SO MUCH for this man!!! Lovely tones!

And your Tele 3A, your favorite (is it still? hahaha) does sound lovely indeed!!!

Much love, Benny!!!!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioScape ➑️
WOW!! BENNY!

Thank you so much for doing this, man!

The differences (or lack therein) are EXTREMELY subtle - I did a few blind tests on myself with the "compressed" files on the Electric Guitar first and I can DEFINITELY hear the slower attack of the D3A as well as the slightly more open top-end - but the character and compression behavior itself, aside from that - is damn near identical.

On the Acoustic GTR example - I could not accurately identify one from the other with any degree of certainty... hahaha.

I think higher-gain guitars really DO best amplify the differences between different preamps, compressors, etc... it's almost "hypes" whatever differences are happening between two different microphones, preamps or compressors...

Thank you SO MUCH for this man!!! Lovely tones!

And your Tele 3A, your favorite (is it still? hahaha) does sound lovely indeed!!!

Much love, Benny!!!!
My pleasure! Consider me your new number one fan, bud! As for whether my Tele 3As are still my favs...let's just say if anyone is looking to buy a pair of vintage 3As, they should hit me up

ETA: will trade for AudioScape gear
Gear Addict

Quote:
My pleasure! Consider me your new number one fan, bud! As for whether my Tele 3As are still my favs...let's just say if anyone is looking to buy a pair of vintage 3As, they should hit me up

ETA: will trade for AudioScape gear
πŸ˜œπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

WOWWWWWWWW... well if that isn't praise of the HIGHEST order, than I don't know WHAT is!!!

Appreciate it, Benny! It's been amazing to chat with you so much and get to know you a bit after reading your posts on here for yearssssss!!!! Hahaha, super cool!!!

LOLLL... I may hit you up about the 3A's! We've been amassing vintage units to sit alongside our recreation for various reasons...hmmmm hahaha.

Much love!! πŸ˜πŸ™β€πŸ™Œ
Lives for gear

Quote:
LOLLL... I may hit you up about the 3A's! We've been amassing vintage units to sit alongside our recreation for various reasons...hmmmm hahaha.
Iiiiiiiiiiiiintereeeeesssssssting.......
Old 4 weeks ago
So where are these Audioscape 76D’s I’ve been hearing about?? I have a UA 1176LN that’s backordered until May! Give me a reason to cancel and buy two 76D’s :p
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvpsounds ➑️
So where are these Audioscape 76D’s I’ve been hearing about?? I have a UA 1176LN that’s backordered until May! Give me a reason to cancel and buy two 76D’s :p
I wouldn't even wait till the 76D drops. The pair of 76Fs that I have sound way better then the UA 1176LN to these ears. Also much much better than the "1176 side" of the 6176 that I have.

What a great company too, I pre-ordered one of their bus comps the last round they did that . They said it would ship April 17th, Was delivered April 5th and that's only cause we weren't at home on the 4th to sign for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanlon ➑️
I wouldn't even wait till the 76D drops. The pair of 76Fs that I have sound way better then the UA 1176LN to these ears. Also much much better than the "1176 side" of the 6176 that I have.

What a great company too, I pre-ordered one of their bus comps the last round they did that . They said it would ship April 17th, Was delivered April 5th and that's only cause we weren't at home on the 4th to sign for it.
Yeah. I have a couple EQP-A’s. They sound great! Great company.

I just sold two UREI rev E’s less than a year ago. I miss them dearly. I had them for 12 years. I know the sound well and I think the UA’s sound great! They just sound like new 1176’s to me. Not sure what the hate is about with them. I find that the clones all sound too bright and sibilant. So I think when people a/b them, they think the UA 1176 is too dark. But that is another topic. The 76A is supposed to be bright. So that’s all good and fine. The 76F is based off of the very different rev F. Not what I’m looking for. I’m hoping the 76D will have that gritty but smooth sound of the Rev C, D and E. My old UREI’s never sounded harsh. They were perfect. I now regret selling them (though I got a lot of moneys for them!!).

So for me, the UA’s are the best option. But the 76D could change that.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvpsounds ➑️
Yeah. I have a couple EQP-A’s. They sound great! Great company.

I just sold two UREI rev E’s less than a year ago. I miss them dearly. I had them for 12 years. I know the sound well and I think the UA’s sound great! They just sound like new 1176’s to me. Not sure what the hate is about with them. I find that the clones all sound too bright and sibilant. So I think when people a/b them, they think the UA 1176 is too dark. But that is another topic. The 76A is supposed to be bright. So that’s all good and fine. The 76F is based off of the very different rev F. Not what I’m looking for. I’m hoping the 76D will have that gritty but smooth sound of the Rev C, D and E. My old UREI’s never sounded harsh. They were perfect. I now regret selling them (though I got a lot of moneys for them!!).

So for me, the UA’s are the best option. But the 76D could change that.
76D is coming SOONER than anyone may think - let's just say, before the UA1176 is back in stock πŸ˜πŸ™πŸ™Œ

Man.... I'm glad someone else brought up the issue of EVERY 1176 "clone" sounding awfully bright and sibilant - I am in total compliance there with you!!

Like you mentioned, the A is supposed to be very midforward and brighter / more lean in the low-end and the REV F is sort of a different thing (but not BRIGHT by any means).

The 76D takes the BEST of the A and the BEST of the F - and turns it into it's own unique "thing" that is definitely the most versatile revision of the bunch if you could only choose ONE..

HOWEVER - the 76D wont get quite as awesomely aggressive in the midrange as the 76A and it won't totally NAIL the awesome low-mid THICC sound of the 76F but it manages to KEEP both of those qualities, just to differing degrees.

The 76D WILL NOT disappoint, just as our 76A or 76F hasn't.

And YES - to anyone wondering - it's an all black front panel as it should be 😍😎😘

We're proud to have what I'm dubbing "THE HOLY TRINITY" of 1176 revisions available to everyone (who's fast enough to snag one )

JK! You know we'll take care of you!!!!

πŸ™ŒπŸ™β€
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
76D is coming SOONER than anyone may think - let's just say, before the UA1176 is back in stock πŸ˜πŸ™πŸ™Œ
You are such a tease!

And really, no pressure, but any ideas on when we might see an AS'd version 160VU? I know you mentioned getting a modded 161 (which, as far as I can tell, is essentially the same especially after the mods) so I'm excited.

I'm still pretty deep in the COVID fall-out but would love a rough idea when they might drop? Like are we talking this year?

Cheers and keep up the amazing work AS!

R.
Quote:

Man.... I'm glad someone else brought up the issue of EVERY 1176 "clone" sounding awfully bright and sibilant - I am in total compliance there with you!!

Like you mentioned, the A is supposed to be very midforward and brighter / more lean in the low-end and the REV F is sort of a different thing (but not BRIGHT by any means).

The 76D takes the BEST of the A and the BEST of the F - and turns it into it's own unique "thing" that is definitely the most versatile revision of the bunch if you could only choose ONE..

HOWEVER - the 76D wont get quite as awesomely aggressive in the midrange as the 76A and it won't totally NAIL the awesome low-mid THICC sound of the 76F but it manages to KEEP both of those qualities, just to differing degrees.

The 76D WILL NOT disappoint, just as our 76A or 76F hasn't.

And YES - to anyone wondering - it's an all black front panel as it should be 😍😎😘

We're proud to have what I'm dubbing "THE HOLY TRINITY" of 1176 revisions available to everyone (who's fast enough to snag one )

JK! You know we'll take care of you!!!!

πŸ™ŒπŸ™β€
Hmmm. Good to know. Any teaser pics?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just want to say that I love the spirit of this thread.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey ➑️
You are such a tease!

And really, no pressure, but any ideas on when we might see an AS'd version 160VU? I know you mentioned getting a modded 161 (which, as far as I can tell, is essentially the same especially after the mods) so I'm excited.

I'm still pretty deep in the COVID fall-out but would love a rough idea when they might drop? Like are we talking this year?

Cheers and keep up the amazing work AS!

R.
I know, I know... but being a tease is half the fun of it!!! Hahahaha - at least I ATTEMPT to leave behind some semblance of ADDITIONAL information WHILE I tease 😜

As for the VU - this year - I HOPE! There are quite a few hurdles to get over however, in order to recreate the unit properly, both sonically and aesthetically but I WILL SAY - the prototype sitting in the corner here sounds FANTASTIC - every bit as good as our pair of 160VU's (modded 161's but they ARE 160's now, HUGE difference in sound between the two!).

@ jvpsounds - ahhhhhh man. I DO have pics... butttttt - I'd much rather freak everyone out all at once. Do you have my #? If not, DM me and we'll talk

@ Skamm Goodiez - brooooooo! I couldn't agree more!!! This thread is my spirit animal. It's SO good and so full of GOOD VIBES, more importantly!!!

Much love y'all!!!
Charlie
Gear Head
Just had to share how AMAZING and AWESOME the AS team is....

I have five pieces of theirs and had a small issue with my OPTO comp so I sent an email (on a Saturday!). They responded several times within the first hour, had me ship it out to them to be tuned up and I received it back in less than two weeks (from Canada)!!!

We all know that their gear sounds amazing - but the customer service is also impeccable and makes me have zero hesitation of buying many more products for many years to come!! Collect 'em all!!

YA'll Rock!!

Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanktron ➑️
Just had to share how AMAZING and AWESOME the AS team is....

I have five pieces of theirs and had a small issue with my OPTO comp so I sent an email (on a Saturday!). They responded several times within the first hour, had me ship it out to them to be tuned up and I received it back in less than two weeks (from Canada)!!!

We all know that their gear sounds amazing - but the customer service is also impeccable and makes me have zero hesitation of buying many more products for many years to come!! Collect 'em all!!

YA'll Rock!!

You're TOO kind my friend!!! It's TRULY our pleasure!! But thank you for sharing your experience(s) with us!

It's VERY important that these types of organic, word-of-mouth stores about us and our gear get noticed and read. I know there's tons of good press about us out there with just a quick Google search BUT - the more, the better I say!

GOTTA COLLECT 'EM ALL!!! πŸ˜πŸ˜‚

Great topic, though! When it DOES come to the rare situation that service of your unit is needed to be done by us, on-site - we typically have a turnaround of about ONE DAY before it's packed back up and on its way back to you!

We know downtime is NO GOOD so we handle ANY repairs as a PRIORITY and will find the issue, fix said issue (it's always the small things! GRR devil in the details scenario?), and have it back to you ASAP - you'll receive a FedEx shipping notification as soon as it's fixed and on it's way back to you.

Again, THANK YOU brother!! Always happy to help our AS FAM efficientlyand with care, love & passion
Lives for gear

Kiiiiiiiiinda psyched about the V Comp I just ordered.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Oooohhhh Yeah!!!!
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hahahaha.... YES BENNY, YES!!!!

We're pumped FOR you!!!

Thank you, and everyone, SO MUCH for all of the support and enthusiasm for all of the hard work we put in here at AS HQ, designing, developing, and handcrafting these units the way they deserve.

You are ALL so AMAZING and we can't thank you ENOUGH!

β€πŸ™πŸ˜
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Anyone familiar with the D will know it's strength is not aggressive grind or thicc-ness, it's PUNCH.

Standby, check the website often and SIGN UP for the news alerts! If I know my audioscape products (and I just might) this is going to be killer!!
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Remember not to judge the V strictly on the solo'ed stand alone result but mainly in mix context. It adds some distortion and wool but also crunches the sparkle and polishes it.

I just did a series of backing vocals for a client many thousands of miles away and the BVox in context sound so much better than solo'ed!
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike ➑️
Remember not to judge the V strictly on the solo'ed stand alone result but mainly in mix context. It adds some distortion and wool but also crunches the sparkle and polishes it.

I just did a series of backing vocals for a client many thousands of miles away and the BVox in context sound so much better than solo'ed!
YES! I was JUST explaining this to one of the AS FAM the other day!

It really is CRUCIAL as a concept in itself, but especially in the case of the V-COMP... sometimes in solo, I question how much saturation I'm getting but once in the mix, this same sound slots right into the track PERFECTLY... it's quite amazing, really.

Good lookin' out, as always Ward!!! πŸ˜β€πŸ™
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I just saw it, who else saw it!
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7up partridge ➑️
I just saw it, who else saw it!
MWHAHAHAHA! 😍😍😍❀❀❀

Y'ALL ABOUT TO SEE IT NOWWWW!!!!

THIS SUNDAY, the 18th @ 5 PM EST - we will be OFFICIALLY LAUNCHING this BEAUTY - FOR SALE! This is the VERY FIRST batch to be released into the wild!

The 76D is the QUINTESSENTIAL "76-style" compressor and completes, what I've dubbed - "The Holy Trinity" of 76 REVISIONS from AudioScape!

Sonically, the 76D is best described as having a certain degree of midrange push found in the 76A while also taking on the tight, yet THICC low-end characteristics of the 76F - while STILL remaining to have a sound all it's own.

The differentiator here is the PUNCH the 76D is capable of.

Being the most WIDELY used revision of this classic circuit makes our new 76D a GREAT option for those who don't have one of our other 76 REVISIONS and needs to cover a wide range of 'sonic bases' or territory.

$899 SHIPPED (within the USA).
Y'all KNOW THE DRILLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
MWHAHAHAHA! 😍😍😍❀❀❀

Y'ALL ABOUT TO SEE IT NOWWWW!!!!

THIS SUNDAY, the 18th @ 5 PM EST - we will be OFFICIALLY LAUNCHING this BEAUTY - FOR SALE! This is the VERY FIRST batch to be released into the wild!

The 76D is the QUINTESSENTIAL "76-style" compressor and completes, what I've dubbed - "The Holy Trinity" of 76 REVISIONS from AudioScape!

Sonically, the 76D is best described as having a certain degree of midrange push found in the 76A while also taking on the tight, yet THICC low-end characteristics of the 76F - while STILL remaining to have a sound all it's own.

The differentiator here is the PUNCH the 76D is capable of.

Being the most WIDELY used revision of this classic circuit makes our new 76D a GREAT option for those who don't have one of our other 76 REVISIONS and needs to cover a wide range of 'sonic bases' or territory.

$899 SHIPPED (within the USA).
Y'all KNOW THE DRILLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!
what about the noise?
Old 3 weeks ago
Man, I have a BAC500 and 2 Daking fet2 comps... Both I love, I don't need this... but I want it!
πŸ“ Reply